Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

Metalhead was the most edge of your seat poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVRR4p92KNc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

Did you ever see the Christmas special that came out between season 2 and the Netflix seasons? Because I think a lot of my dislike of this season was because so many of the episodes they put out felt like retreads of the ideas they used in that episode only without anything that really justified or was improved by redoing them and especially stretching them out to full episode length.

hell, half of White Christmas was a loving retread of episodes prior to that

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Falling Water Season 2 starts Saturday on USA Network. One of my favorite series from 2016.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Falling Water Season 2 starts Saturday on USA Network. One of my favorite series from 2016.

God I’m surprised that got renewed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

hell, half of White Christmas was a loving retread of episodes prior to that

Somebody just needs to walk up to the white board in the writer's room and write "NO MORE SCRIPTS ABOUT PEOPLE TRAPPED IN COMPUTERS BEING TORTURED" in permanent ink.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Somebody just needs to walk up to the white board in the writer's room and write "NO MORE SCRIPTS ABOUT PEOPLE TRAPPED IN COMPUTERS BEING TORTURED" in permanent ink.

Take a peek at the "Written by" column:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Black_Mirror_episodes

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HA! Herpa Darpa.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i got on a Beatles kick today and i've gotta say, one of the big streamers needs to team up with the BBC and do the big blowout Beatles limited series that the story of that band deserves. I've always wondered about how a Beatles movie would look but I think you could make about 5 different movies about various parts of the history of the band, so it almost just makes more sense for someone to make 13 episodes and try and fit as many of their songs in as possible.

there are a million possibilities too. You could do episodes from the early days about John, Paul, George and Stu in Liverpool, the Beatles in Hamburg's red light district, meeting Brian Epstein/Stuart Suttcliffe's death/getting signed by George Martin, replacing Pete with Ringo all leading up to an episode about the day they recorded Please Please Me, and following that then you have Beatlemania taking over Britain, the British Invasion/playing Ed Sullivan, touring/making Hard Day's Night/meeting Bob Dylan and Dylan introducing them all to pot, John and George getting dosed with LSD by their dentist, playing Shea Stadium, making Rubber Soul, John Lennon opening his big fat mouth repeatedly, the final tour, making Revolver, and then you get into the really good stuff with Yoko, Clapton, Maharishi, Timothy Leary, Billy Preston, Phil Spector, the Stones, the Beach Boys, and Apple Records.

someone needs to get the gently caress on this now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Me too, but it's great, because it's a cool show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Did you ever see the Christmas special that came out between season 2 and the Netflix seasons? Because I think a lot of my dislike of this season was because so many of the episodes they put out felt like retreads of the ideas they used in that episode only without anything that really justified or was improved by redoing them and especially stretching them out to full episode length.

I've watched every episode. There are some similarities but I didn't think any of them were rehashes.

Like specifically with White Christmas and Callister - they both share a basic similar concept but the actual story that concept is used to tell is wildly different. Callister worked better for me than White Christmas did so yes I'm glad they did something else with that idea.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 2, 2018

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

pentyne posted:

Way to completely miss the point. I assume you mean the person who said the experience ended her dream of being a comedian and his follow up was to mock the idea that someone's dream could be so easily squashed if it really was their "dream"

He was still 100% that Louis CK was in the wrong but that the allegations were hilarious as gently caress to read about when you knew him. The only little support bit was Chappelle saying "did they really have to take everything from him? Was he really as bad as Weinstein etc?"

This feels like they read a headline somewhere and didn't bother reading the story or try putting it into context.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Dammit, my wife and I were really enjoying our December binge-watch of Justified (her first time, my second), but as of today, it is no longer available for free through Amazon Prime. I'm just relieved we made it through Season 3 last night (my favorite season with my favorite villain) and only just started Season 4, which isn't the worst place to stop watching.

I always pay attention to those lists of what gets added to and removed from Netflix and Amazon Prime each month, and I definitely didn't notice Justified being removed at the end of December. Oh well. I just bought my dad the complete series on DVD, so maybe he'll loan us the back half for now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dammit, my wife and I were really enjoying our December binge-watch of Justified (her first time, my second), but as of today, it is no longer available for free through Amazon Prime. I'm just relieved we made it through Season 3 last night (my favorite season with my favorite villain) and only just started Season 4, which isn't the worst place to stop watching.

I always pay attention to those lists of what gets added to and removed from Netflix and Amazon Prime each month, and I definitely didn't notice Justified being removed at the end of December. Oh well. I just bought my dad the complete series on DVD, so maybe he'll loan us the back half for now.

What? gently caress. I just got to S2 on my rewatch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So far Metalhead is the only episode of Black Mirror Season 4 I've enjoyed at all, though I'm like 10 minutes into Black Museum now so I'm not done yet.

e: Holy poo poo, is this the guy who played Bania in Seinfeld?!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Metalhead is my least favorite Black Mirror ever. There's nothing to it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GreenNight posted:

It got decent numbers for a USA show and is super cheap to make.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

swickles posted:

This feels like they read a headline somewhere and didn't bother reading the story or try putting it into context.

I watched both specials but I could already imagine all the clickbait articles about how he was supporting Louis CK or attacking victim etc.

He really emphasised on multiple occasions that his comedy is meant to be funny and make people laugh, and sometimes its mean but its always funny until it happens to you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I've watched every episode. There are some similarities but I didn't think any of them were rehashes.

Like specifically with White Christmas and Callister - they both share a basic similar concept but the actual story that concept is used to tell is wildly different. Callister worked better for me than White Christmas did so yes I'm glad they did something else with that idea.

I mean Callister was more an almost direct adaptation of I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream, only with Aatrek instead of a super computer.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean Callister was more an almost direct adaptation of I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream, only with Aatrek instead of a super computer.

To be fair, he did suck that kid off into space.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
:nms: this is a pretty great episode of black mirror :nms:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why would anyone do this :psyduck:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Young white YouTubers have no consciences or common sense

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MiddleOne posted:

Why would anyone do this :psyduck:

It's been removed. So... what was it?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

It's been removed. So... what was it?

Youtube super star making ad-money off a suicide victim.

EDIT: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42538495

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 2, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only just noticed this thread’s title doesn’t have the word “Couch” in it. What a terrible mistake

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I only just noticed this thread’s title doesn’t have the word “Couch” in it. What a terrible mistake

It's okay though just imagine the sea lions

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Man this season of Crazy Ex-GF is pretty rough to watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

If becoming an old who is out of touch means I don't know who the gently caress most of these youtube "personalities" are, I think I'm okay with that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

raditts posted:

If becoming an old who is out of touch means I don't know who the gently caress most of these youtube "personalities" are, I think I'm okay with that.

So says SomethingAwful personality raditts.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is there really no thread for the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel? Just watched it and found it out its the best show that came out last year, and I need to be immersed in some convo about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DC Murderverse posted:

i got on a Beatles kick today and i've gotta say, one of the big streamers needs to team up with the BBC and do the big blowout Beatles limited series that the story of that band deserves. I've always wondered about how a Beatles movie would look but I think you could make about 5 different movies about various parts of the history of the band, so it almost just makes more sense for someone to make 13 episodes and try and fit as many of their songs in as possible.

there are a million possibilities too. You could do episodes from the early days about John, Paul, George and Stu in Liverpool, the Beatles in Hamburg's red light district, meeting Brian Epstein/Stuart Suttcliffe's death/getting signed by George Martin, replacing Pete with Ringo all leading up to an episode about the day they recorded Please Please Me, and following that then you have Beatlemania taking over Britain, the British Invasion/playing Ed Sullivan, touring/making Hard Day's Night/meeting Bob Dylan and Dylan introducing them all to pot, John and George getting dosed with LSD by their dentist, playing Shea Stadium, making Rubber Soul, John Lennon opening his big fat mouth repeatedly, the final tour, making Revolver, and then you get into the really good stuff with Yoko, Clapton, Maharishi, Timothy Leary, Billy Preston, Phil Spector, the Stones, the Beach Boys, and Apple Records.

It took an act of God just to get them to allow Beatles Rock Band to be made. Yoko would never agree to anything that didn't paint Lennon in anything but the brightest light.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shageletic posted:

Is there really no thread for the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel? Just watched it and found it out its the best show that came out last year, and I need to be immersed in some convo about it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842083&pagenumber=1

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cheers! Amazon has been killing it lately.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s quite funny just how often people come into this thread to be indignant about a show not having a thread and said show will always 1. definitely have a thread or 2. be some rando garbage only that one person has even heard of

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

It turns out the couch in question was the infamous casting couch. Goddamnit 2017.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

I mostly agree with you on this but there are some good documentaries out there. There's the one Ron Howard did that's on Hulu about their touring years that's good, one on Netflix about Sgt. Peppers that I thought kind of sucked, and a rather lengthy one on Netflix about George Harrison that is very good. I've been obsessing over the Beatles for like a couple years now and those have been holding me over on stuff to see.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

He really emphasised on multiple occasions that his comedy is meant to be funny and make people laugh, and sometimes its mean but its always funny until it happens to you.

"It's just a joke, don't take it so seriously" is a weird argument for a guy who torpedoed his career because he was upset people were laughing at his jokes for the wrong reason to be making.

MiddleOne posted:

If you don't want your dead body seen publicly then maybe don't kill yourself in a public place. Especially one literally called the Suicide Forest because it's a place where people go to kill themselves publicly.

Unless the outrage is that the dude made money off of it in which case how is that different from literally any news or true crime show or documentary ever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's an issue of respect for a dead human being.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In fairness, I don’t think it’s the dead guy complaining.

He didn’t monetize the video, but it’s pretty gross and he’s apologized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't know, man. I take your meaning, but if I were in a dark and sad enough place that suicide felt like my only option, having a YouTube star gawk at my corpse in front of millions of people would probably warrant a complaint were I able.