Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My Wii U is hacked and on 5.5.1. Can I update to 5.5.2 and not lose any hacks? My system keeps trying to update it and I just keep pulling the power cord.

Did you install inject haxchi into a DS game? If yes you can update.

If you're on rednand system menu stuff it may break horribly though.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

My Wii U is hacked and on 5.5.1. Can I update to 5.5.2 and not lose any hacks? My system keeps trying to update it and I just keep pulling the power cord.

Do you have Haxchi? If so then sure. There's also a method to update to 5.5.2 while keeping the 5.5.1 browser.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

You can delete your update folder and then your console will never bother you again about updating. A quick google search will tell you the answer.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks all. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up. I unplugged it as soon as I saw the update start. It did it without prompt. I kept my Wii U offline forever but connected it so I could run an ftp program so I don't have to keep taking SD cards in and out. And the ftp thing never worked anyway, even though I got the ip address right :shrug:

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
If you have Haxchi it will still work in 5.5.2

Just don't uninstall the DS game it's housed in.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

Anyone know any foolproof guides about Project M and BrawlEX for the Wii?? I just got into it and I see there are a bunch of custom characters people have made but I can't figure out how to add any of them, even the ones that supposedly just replace existing characters'files, it keeps locking up after every attempt to add one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Caithness posted:

If you have Haxchi it will still work in 5.5.2

Just don't uninstall the DS game it's housed in.

So I can update to 5.5.2? Do I update "inside" rednand? Sorry if I am using the wrong terms, I still have old 3ds hacking terms in my head.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

So I can update to 5.5.2? Do I update "inside" rednand? Sorry if I am using the wrong terms, I still have old 3ds hacking terms in my head.

Oh if you installed Rednand that complicates things/I have no idea.

I remember Rednand installs sometimes just breaking when they updated but there was no real rhyme or reason which ones would or wouldn't.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
if you havent used psxr and wii64/wii64 rice with overclock on the gamepad get into it

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Nonviolent J posted:

if you havent used psxr and wii64/wii64 rice with overclock on the gamepad get into it

And More posted:

How do you do that?

Rednand is really useless because nobody can tell you how it works other than the people who made it. If it should break, here is how I sorted things out:

Just switch to sysnand and format your SD. Do CBHC by following Matt's guide. Overwrite any files by copying his starter kit. You can skip step 4.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

And More posted:

Rednand is really useless because nobody can tell you how it works other than the people who made it. If it should break, here is how I sorted things out:

Just switch to sysnand and format your SD. Do CBHC by following Matt's guide. Overwrite any files by copying his starter kit. You can skip step 4.

Thank you.

Just so I got this straight, I have haxchi installed to a DS game. I am on 5.5.1. Should I upgrade to 5.5.2 and then do the CBHC guide?

I still don't know what the difference is between Mocha CFW and redNAND :saddowns:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

radNAND was an old way that involved having a parallel image of your internal memory on an SD card (which meant if you had a 32 gig Wii U you needed a 64-gig SD card with half of it being taken up by redNAND).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

radNAND was an old way that involved having a parallel image of your internal memory on an SD card (which meant if you had a 32 gig Wii U you needed a 64-gig SD card with half of it being taken up by redNAND).

Thank you. How do I know if I have redNAND? I have the 8gb Wii U (glossy black shows too many fingerprints :colbert: ) and a 64GB SD card so that isn't going to help me figure it out.

I did this Haxchi thing so long ago that I don't remember what guide or steps I took to getting it running, other than installing Haxchi to Mario Kart DS

When I click on Haxchi, I have a bunch of folders that spell out "EMUNAND" that I probably did so I knew if I was in the original system menu or the hacked one. Not sure if this helps.

edit: instructions like this make me pull my hair out because I feel so stupid:

quote:

Instructions:
Note: Be sure you're not running Mocha CFW at this point!
1) Launch Haxchi to get into Homebrew Launcher and choose CBHC

How the hell can you launch Haxchi to get into the Homebrew channel without being in MochaCFW?? :psyduck:

edit 2: it seems as though MochaCFW *is* redNAND, nobody should be using MochaCFW/rednand, and everybody is just using CBHC which is not only a boot-up menu but its own CFW? Is that right? So I basically have to get rid of MochaCFW now somehow?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 31, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Actually you can ignore all my stupid questions. I think I got it all figured out. it's just so drat confusing when you already have a hacked system and now want to change the hacks. I really should just wait like a year before ever hacking any system.

But thanks to all that responded. It seems like I "removed" mochaCFW and my WiiU auto boots into cbhc CFW.

The only thing I wanna figure out was someone mentioned overclocking I think Wii mode? Which I am guessing is to help speed emulators up?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That's the second time this guy has posted that, and disappeared. I have no idea what he's on about.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So is it too late to hack a fresh Wii u now?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

sharktamer posted:

So is it too late to hack a fresh Wii u now?

Pretty sure you still can, but you must use the method requiring a DS VC game so it will cost you like $7 if you don’t have one.

Assuming you’re on 5.5.2, that is. If you avoided updates you have other options which are free.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 31, 2017

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Screw that I'm out then.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'm under the impression you still need the DS VC game on older versions unless you want to launch the browser and run the exploit every single time you want to do homebrew?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah the DS VC approach gives you the smoothest experience for sure.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there a homebrew method for DS Lite or DSI XL?

edit woops looks like here: https://dsiguide.me/

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Pre-i DSes are super easy, basically any DS flashcart you get will let you run both homebrew and commercial software. (It was no longer necessary by the time I got my Lite, but I still installed FlashMe on it, partly out of habit and partly for the recovery boot.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently the PS4 has been hacked? I was considering buying a PS4 Pro because I want VR but I don't want to spend 2k on a computer and Occulus. Does anyone know if the hack works on the PS4 Pro? Or if units on shelves are even on 4.05?

Dr. Dos posted:

I'm under the impression you still need the DS VC game on older versions unless you want to launch the browser and run the exploit every single time you want to do homebrew?

You do. I was/am on 5.5.1 and still had to buy a DS game. (not complaining, just saying)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Apparently the PS4 has been hacked? I was considering buying a PS4 Pro because I want VR but I don't want to spend 2k on a computer and Occulus. Does anyone know if the hack works on the PS4 Pro? Or if units on shelves are even on 4.05?

The fixed 4.0.6 firmware shipped over a year ago so don't get your hopes up for finding an exploitable system on shelves.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

The fixed 4.0.6 firmware shipped over a year ago so don't get your hopes up for finding an exploitable system on shelves.

oh haha, I had no idea it was that old.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. I wonder how many people this hack could possibly pertain to.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah, the golden age of hacking Sony and Microsoft consoles seems to be over. They're too drat secure now :smith:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Yeah, the golden age of hacking Sony and Microsoft consoles seems to be over. They're too drat secure now :smith:

True but then BAM out of nowhere last month the PS3 got fully opened on all firmwares.

Patience my friend.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
GameStop has $30 refurb DSis and I'm thinking of getting one. Even though I have a GBA, 3ds and DSLite

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

True but then BAM out of nowhere last month the PS3 got fully opened on all firmwares.

Patience my friend.

Even then, that hack only works on older PS3 models and only works at all because the PS3 didn't have anti-downgrading efuses built in. They won't make that mistake again, hell Nintendo are relatively bad at security but even they put efuses in the Switch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E2M2 posted:

GameStop has $30 refurb DSis and I'm thinking of getting one. Even though I have a GBA, 3ds and DSLite

:same: what is wrong with me?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also the bulk of games on the new systems are pretty dependent on online anyway, I'm not sure that having, theoretically, a newer system softmodded is terribly viable anymore in most cases.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do the DSI XL’s retain GBA hardware? Can they run GBA roms without emulation (but with hacking)?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

univbee posted:

Also the bulk of games on the new systems are pretty dependent on online anyway, I'm not sure that having, theoretically, a newer system softmodded is terribly viable anymore in most cases.

Ostensibly you're modding for homebrew or other types of things, anyway. Pirating games is really lovely when they're still new enough that the developers will see some of the profit from sales.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Even then, that hack only works on older PS3 models and only works at all because the PS3 didn't have anti-downgrading efuses built in. They won't make that mistake again, hell Nintendo are relatively bad at security but even they put efuses in the Switch.

Really? I thought I read that the hack for the PS3 slims was right around the corner

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Really? I thought I read that the hack for the PS3 slims was right around the corner

It already works on earlier slims, but it doesn't on late slims or any super-slims. The browser exploit itself works on any PS3 but a second exploit is required to actually install CFW, and the best known method still requires downgrading a particular firmware component to a 2010-vintage exploitable version. That version doesn't support late-slims/super-slims since they didn't exist when it was made, so trying to flash it just bricks the console.

The fact that no new CFW installation exploits have been found in 8 years says a lot about how far console security has come.

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 2, 2018

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

repiv posted:

It already works on earlier slims, but it doesn't on late slims or any super-slims. The browser exploit itself works on any PS3 but to actually install CFW they need to downgrade a particular firmware component to a very old exploitable version, and that version doesn't support late-slims/super-slims since they didn't exist when it was made. So trying to flash it just bricks the system.

I think he's referring to a possible "temporary softmod" type exploit (like the HEN stuff for PSP/V) usable on newer hardware, which was briefly mentioned as a future possibility following the exploit for installing CFW from the latest OFW on fatties and the early slims.

No concrete plans or promises (or even much in the way of details at all) have been made, so I personally wouldn't hold my breath. Still, It'll be very cool indeed if they do manage to get something working.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:same: what is wrong with me?

We both have a problem brother.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/smealum/status/948280316300374016

Whelp. Someone leapfrogged the Switch homebrew guys from the other week. Permanent CFW for switch coming Spring.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Okay, I got my SNES mini hacked, but does anyone know if it's possible to play NES games on it?

Edit: never mind, the default retroarch module seems to cover it.

Caithness fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Caithness posted:

Okay, I got my SNES mini hacked, but does anyone know if it's possible to play NES games on it?

Yes, you can either install retroarch (easy) or set up dual booting into a NES classic (not so easy).