Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the other great blades lobotomized by factors out of their control:

boreas, the healer better at dodge tanking than some dodge tanks, tragically kneecapped by the fact that Four's bitball moveset is kind of rear end

poppi qt, the theoretical best dodge tank who cannot be itemized for at all without destroying tora's ability to sneeze on superbosses and kill them

ursula, the best healer in the game period (yes, better than nia) whom nobody on this planet has ever used after finding out that she needs like 130 mercenary missions to hit affinity 5

herald, the ether cannon blade who is basically made for Five and is also the same element as Five's blade aaaaaaaaaaaa

kassandra, the vajira hammer blade with an insanely powerful passive that procs on critical hits. the vajira hammer blade. gently caress you, takahashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

spoiler tagging the 4th member I can sort of understand but man could anything be more obvious than the 5th party member

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I still don't really get the strategy for leveling/opening new blades.

How can I,

1. Get more Rare blades?

2. Get the most I can out of my blades in general?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

quaunaut posted:

I still don't really get the strategy for leveling/opening new blades.

How can I,

1. Get more Rare blades?

2. Get the most I can out of my blades in general?

1. Overkill enemies with your team attack will sometimes get you Rare blades

2. Merc missions help out with leveling Blades a lot, especially ones you aren't using at present. This will help hugely later on when the game fucks you over with skill checks for certain things

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Electric Phantasm posted:

So Chapter 4 and just realized I could release blades. What kind of Blades should I keep?

My standards for keeping:

Anything with Orb Master 80%+
Any 1-, 2-, or 3-crown with useful level 3 field skills (or even just level 2 if I'm lacking in that department)
Any 4-crown at all

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Merc missions should have a companion mobile app for managing them. But I suppose being a Nintendo exclusive allows you to be like five years behind other innovations.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Hot drat the ending ruled. I really liked the (ch10 / ending spoilers obv) tie in to the first game with Klaus. Thought the setup was pretty neat and hearing Shulk's lines come from the void owned.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it owns that the final boss fight is a literal dps race between you and the XBC1 party no please don't use riki noooOOooooOooo

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Who should I give the beastly core crystal to? I'm assuming it got some cool field skills that I should probably use soon.

I got rex running pyra, roc and ursula. Nia with darmoch and the book healer lady.

Edit: Should I even care

poe meater fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 2, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

poe meater posted:

Who should I give the beastly core crystal to? I'm assuming it got some cool field skills that I should probably use soon.

I got rex running pyra, roc and ursula. Nia with darmoch and the book healer lady.

Edit: Should I even care

Either Rex or Five, depending on your patience.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, I'm only on Chapter 3 and having trouble wrapping my head around a few things. Namely a lot of my Blades need 5 driver combos to unlock some skill/affinity, and I've managed to get a few Earth/Fire/Earth combos, among others, but the numbers refuse to go up on the grid. Is there anything special I need to do for that?

How do I use a party attack? I just did a boss fight where I got 3 bars of party guage, then tried pressing plus, then minus, then just about everything, but gently caress all happened. What do they even do?

Also, my second rare Blade ever ended up being the Persona as gently caress looking puppet Dark Cannon blade shown in the OP. Ended up on Rex. Is she any good? I like her design, I like using the cannon, but I don't know if shes actually useful.

E: Those Justice/Compasion/whatever boosters, do they just give a Blade a better chance of being a certain element if the are used? Do thsoe stats on a character do anything?

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 2, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Am I missing something about chain attacks? I keep loving them up and not getting the kill with them due to the wrong orbs being cracked or broken.

Also I was losing it in chapter 4 at Muimui and Bana's emergency slides into an orb that is clearly going to be piloting a super robot.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ashsaber posted:

So, I'm only on Chapter 3 and having trouble wrapping my head around a few things. Namely a lot of my Blades need 5 driver combos to unlock some skill/affinity, and I've managed to get a few Earth/Fire/Earth combos, among others, but the numbers refuse to go up on the grid. Is there anything special I need to do for that?

How do I use a party attack? I just did a boss fight where I got 3 bars of party guage, then tried pressing plus, then minus, then just about everything, but gently caress all happened. What do they even do?

Also, my second rare Blade ever ended up being the Persona as gently caress looking puppet Dark Cannon blade shown in the OP. Ended up on Rex. Is she any good? I like her design, I like using the cannon, but I don't know if shes actually useful.

E: Those Justice/Compasion/whatever boosters, do they just give a Blade a better chance of being a certain element if the are used? Do thsoe stats on a character do anything?

A Driver Combo is a Break -> Topple -> Launch -> Smash chain, not an elemental combo. There's a tutorial coming up on that if you haven't seen it already.

I don't think you can chain attack before the game teaches you about it, which is also sometime in chapter 3 iirc.

Azami is bad and she's extra bad on Rex, buuutttt she's also dark element which is kind of hard to come by. edit: try not to pull too much on rex by the way, the game drowns rex in free poo poo during the story and he's never really going to have a rare blades problem

People disagree on what the boosters/values do, but at the very least they affect elements, yeah.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 2, 2018

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

Am I missing something about chain attacks? I keep loving them up and not getting the kill with them due to the wrong orbs being cracked or broken.

an orb has 3 "hit points". your specials target one at random, which obviously isn't going to get you very far. using a special of an element that opposes an orb will cause it to always hit that orb, and do 2 damage instead.

there are also blade skills/aux cores that let that blade a) prioritize damaged orbs or b) do 3 damage against an opposing element orb. if you don't have any of those, your best bet is to make sure 2 of your characters share the same element blade and make sure the opposite element orb is on the boss (e.g if nia and rex both have a fire blade, make sure the mob has a water orb before starting the chain).

there is another mechanic which completely trivializes this but the game won't tell you about it or unlock it for another 40 hours! that's xenoblade!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Is there a point where Pyra and Mythra are going to get outclassed by rare blades? I want some cool new blades but I'm thinking of waiting until I get the fourth party member because all the rare blades I already got on Rex are now just playing second fiddle to Spinning Edge

I guess on a positive note I rolled Boreas on Nia and he seems super rad and I'm very glad I didn't roll him on a character I actually wanted to play because Bitballs are not nearly as fun as they look or sound

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Is there a point where Pyra and Mythra are going to get outclassed by rare blades? I want some cool new blades but I'm thinking of waiting until I get the fourth party member because all the rare blades I already got on Rex are now just playing second fiddle to Spinning Edge

I guess on a positive note I rolled Boreas on Nia and he seems super rad and I'm very glad I didn't roll him on a character I actually wanted to play because Bitballs are not nearly as fun as they look or sound

Pyra and Mythra get a special bonus feature later in the game that takes a dump on every single other blade so, no, they do not get outclassed.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Barudak posted:

Pyra and Mythra get a special bonus feature later in the game that takes a dump on every single other blade so, no, they do not get outclassed.

Well poo poo. Which other character is fun to play as

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I wound up really liking 4. I hate playing as 5 because the character's attacks are so painfully sluggish.

Also in the postgame 5 has like 7 rare tank blades so he's just a tank now. That's his life.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

all the other drivers can run strong offbeat comedy builds under human control. they won't be as good as rex but that's kind of an unreasonable ask.

nia has the best ether rating and an ether-based megalance art, so if she can get a few ether-dependent offensive blades she'll carve through poo poo. plus sometimes it's best to take healing into your own hands because the ai can be really, really bad at prioritizing.

tora starts strong and becomes a demigod with no weaknesses whatsoever--if your'e willing to play like 10 hours of a garbage NES game to power poppi up.

four is a shockingly good offensive healer, with a strong knuckle claw moveset (including the shortest cooldown break in the game). you can also run them as a high-dps evasion tank, their default blade can do a buttload of damage for a tank and using invincibility frames to completely nosell boss mechanics is a lot of fun. i really like playing as four, especially since they're a disaster under ai control.

five's default blade comes with a 50% cooldown reduction passive for free, which gives them a lot of room for spamming specials on other blades. they're easily the best character to run whacky mixed-role builds, or split between strength and ether.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

spoiler tagging the 4th member I can sort of understand but man could anything be more obvious than the 5th party member

Zeke and Pandoria are literally on the eShop splash page for the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Chapter 7

I am really curious how the beginning of this chapter works in the Japanese voice acting because the uneven english voice acting wasn't enough to carry this scene properly. I mean Nia
was absolutely great as she always is, but Rex's :geno: approach to voice acting throughout the whole game wasn't prepared enough for a serious scene like this and I'm disappointed.

Not a big deal I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think there is certainly something to that higher chance of rare blades at the start of a chapter thing. I just got the fourth party member and crushed a bunch of cores with them (rares and one legendary, burning my stock of boosters as well) and got Perceval, Floren, and KOS-MOS along like 3 generics. I wish there was a way to keep the base skins for upgraded weapons though, since KOS-MOS's basic guns look cool.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Chapter 8 spoilers.
Nia's outfit when she's a blade is paedophilic. I guess it hits the stupid anime trope of her being endlessly old because she's a blade even if she looks 13. But no, come on..

There are so many easy things they could do to the game that'd make it much better to play. I want that orb back from XCX that leads you to quests even if they're down hard to find paths as long as you're nearby.

I want the collectipedia back so I can tell what sort of item a collectable I might need is as well as where it lives. It'd be nice to add in something that says "You found this item near [landmark]" as well. Do something similar to items you buy from shops because it's loving stupid having to google them every time!

Let you freely swap blades. Give it a timer like cores get. Give you a way to filter them as well. Outside of merc missions it's loving impossible to work out what skill a blade has without TONNES of clicking. Let me set a filter that says "Botany" and show me just the blades with Botany. I've got some skill checks that I know I can do now but I can't be bothered clicking through loads of blades to find out who has what.
The biggest part of this one is that the game does support an easy way of seeing their skills since you can do it in the Merc missions.

Stop enemies from falling off cliffs! God I've beaten so many uniques by accidentally knocking them off a hill and then losing out on whatever they dropped.

I'd also take out Tiger Tiger and make it so Poppi upgrades entirely from salvage items.

Lastly I'd probably stop having Merc Missions in quests. Or at least if the quest requires three/four just make that a single much longer mission. Side quests screeching to a halt because I need a certain development level in a certain place and/or have to do a merc mission is just a pain in the arse and frustrates me to no end.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

One of my generic blades needs Wacon Upa kills in Leftheria. Apparently I've already got two of them, but I can't for the life of me remember where they were from. Googling "wacon upa" gives me literally zero hits. Any idea where I find these guys?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

404notfound posted:

One of my generic blades needs Wacon Upa kills in Leftheria. Apparently I've already got two of them, but I can't for the life of me remember where they were from. Googling "wacon upa" gives me literally zero hits. Any idea where I find these guys?

Are you sure it's Wacon?
An upa is a sort of fish, they hang around in shallow water. The island near the start of the zone has some Upa in but I can't say I've seen any Wacon ones. They might be ones that only come out when the weather changes. Most of the fish in Leftheria are Grady, but you'll see Upa near where you see those usually.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Taear posted:

Chapter 8 spoilers.
Nia's outfit when she's a blade is paedophilic. I guess it hits the stupid anime trope of her being endlessly old because she's a blade even if she looks 13. But no, come on..

I started nodding along to the creepy anime tropes really quickly since they come in such rapid succession. I’m still going to finish it but god if the developers didn’t have the harshest creative drought when coming up with characters and overall direction.

I think the idea was to base the game upon the massively popular gacha browser game style where it all runs on heaps and heaps of tropey waifu designs you get to unbox. It’s a shame because I do think the setting of the game is cool

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Chapter 7 spoilers:

Well, I thought Nia was the best character in the game but it turns out it's actually Self-Confident Blade Nia

The character that keeps on giving.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Nina posted:

I started nodding along to the creepy anime tropes really quickly since they come in such rapid succession. I’m still going to finish it but god if the developers didn’t have the harshest creative drought when coming up with characters and overall direction.

I think the idea was to base the game upon the massively popular gacha browser game style where it all runs on heaps and heaps of tropey waifu designs you get to unbox. It’s a shame because I do think the setting of the game is cool

You should read them posting about it on GameFAQs since people there seem to love the direction of the art.

They could have done so much more with the design, I hate how anime it all has to be. Theory and Praxis might be the worst but there's also too many shots up Electra's skirt that it zooms right the gently caress in on.

It's depressing reading the people who've used 100 cores and got every blade then people who're up to 500 and still have tonnes left though. I just want to see what they look like!

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 2, 2018

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nina posted:

Man now you've got me thinking about a Monster Hunter-style MMO Xenoblade where you and two team-members take missions to hunt down mega-monsters/catch fish/teach a boy to swim, all on the back of various titans and with that exact gacha system for getting your blade.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow the latter part of chapter 5 / beginning of chapter 6 is a snooze. I play this game for exploring wonderful environments (mostly. Battles are fun too) and there's exactly none of that and a whole lot of wandering around the same ridiculously large town and listening to plot. The one gameplay sequence was a straight corridor into a boss fight, and to top it off I'm way overleveled so the boss went by in a flash. Can't wait to actually get to Tantal and also hopefully run into enemies of my level again.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Wow the latter part of chapter 5 / beginning of chapter 6 is a snooze. I play this game for exploring wonderful environments (mostly. Battles are fun too) and there's exactly none of that and a whole lot of wandering around the same ridiculously large town and listening to plot. The one gameplay sequence was a straight corridor into a boss fight, and to top it off I'm way overleveled so the boss went by in a flash. Can't wait to actually get to Tantal and also hopefully run into enemies of my level again.

Perhaps you'll get lucky like me and reach Tantal when it has its irregular weather and spend 90% of your time in chapter 6 Solid Snaking your way through level 80-90 enemies

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

U-DO Burger posted:

Perhaps you'll get lucky like me and reach Tantal when it has its irregular weather and spend 90% of your time in chapter 6 Solid Snaking your way through level 80-90 enemies

If you want/need to change the weather, just Skip Travel to another Titan and then come back.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I actually genuinely miss X.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Reiterpallasch posted:

the other great blades lobotomized by factors out of their control:

boreas, the healer better at dodge tanking than some dodge tanks, tragically kneecapped by the fact that Four's bitball moveset is kind of rear end

poppi qt, the theoretical best dodge tank who cannot be itemized for at all without destroying tora's ability to sneeze on superbosses and kill them

ursula, the best healer in the game period (yes, better than nia) whom nobody on this planet has ever used after finding out that she needs like 130 mercenary missions to hit affinity 5

herald, the ether cannon blade who is basically made for Five and is also the same element as Five's blade aaaaaaaaaaaa

kassandra, the vajira hammer blade with an insanely powerful passive that procs on critical hits. the vajira hammer blade. gently caress you, takahashi.

At least Four has a straight up heal on her bitball set, though the other three moves are decidedly whatever.

Also I gave Herald to Five and almost never use his main blade now, so no regrets there. The pairing there is just that good.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

U-DO Burger posted:

:ssh: The game is trying to tell you that there's another path you're supposed to take.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zopotantor posted:

:ssh: The game is trying to tell you that there's another path you're supposed to take.

are you trying to tell me there's another path to the Old Factory aside from the Mor Ardain hell field.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zopotantor posted:

Nah, in cloudy weather in Tantal basically every enemy on the upper level is replaced with absurdly high-level Crustips and stuff, and the center of the lower level has a couple of giant squids in the 90s. You can just leave and come back to change the weather, but you wouldn’t necessarily know to do that if you got clouds on your first trip there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's so funny that you can put the shop filter on the map so it shows them up but if you hold over them it doesn't say what they are.
What's the point?!

quote:

Nah, in cloudy weather in Tantal basically every enemy on the upper level is replaced with absurdly high-level Crustips and stuff, and the center of the lower level has a couple of giant squids in the 90s. You can just leave and come back to change the weather, but you wouldn’t necessarily know to do that if you got clouds on your first trip there.
That's mad, I'm so glad that never happened to me.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It's cool, I actually enjoy trying to navigate a minefield in Xenoblade. My kids were watching at the time and it was really fun messing with them.

"Should I fight that giant level 84 stingray?"
"No Daddy, don't! It'll kill you!"
"I think I'll fight it."
"NO!!!"
*gets murdered in two seconds*
"LOOK WHAT YOU DID DADDY IT KILLED YOU!"
"Maybe I should try again."
"NO DADDY YOU CAN'T KILL IT, IT'S LEVEL 84 JUST RUN AWAY!"
*aggros again*
"DADDY WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There is an entire northern half of Mor Adrain that I never explored. :shepface: