Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Apocadall posted:

So we had a client get hit with WannaCry. The backup solution they had us put in was trash but thankfully they only lost a week before we could stop it. We're attempting to find a decent open source backup solution that would let us manage multiple servers from a single interface. Does anything like that exist? We've been looking around but have had difficulties separating the wheat from the chaff.

Nightmare.
Why does the backup solution need to be open source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

If Open Source is meant to imply free (of charge) that’s tough because for zero dollars you will always have to make compromises. I might be wrong about that but if free is what you need I didn’t hate the (closed source) free version of Veaam for what it was. Not perfect, but fine for smaller companies as long as you’re virtualizating using hyper-v/vmware.

I have to say, a cryptolocker/virus hitting is to my knowledge the easiest shortcut to a blank cheque for fixing backup/monitoring properly for once, or at least relaxing cost and supplier restraints. Seems like that didn’t work in this case, I wonder what will

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I used Bacula successfully back in the day, but all the servers were Linux and that was in a non-virtualized environment. I don't get the "must be open source" requirement either.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Veeam or bust

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not emptyquotin' this.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I mean the cheapo solution is to use native windows backups and then rsync that file to the NAS at your home lab. I can give you many reasons why this is horrible and also at least two real life examples of companies who do this and think it’s elegant and flawless.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Recently picked up the small business 6 sockets max license it comes with Veeam ONE and is very nice. Paired with with a Synology and have that making copies to a rotating USB drive. Which I could do in Veeam but Synology has a nice option of plug a drive in and automatically throw a folder onto it and beep when it's done.

I wouldn't use Veeam for non VMs, I'm not really sure of something good for physical servers, I've only used stuff I hated on that end.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 20, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I’ve used datto for physical. Works well but costly iirc

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm honestly at a loss as where to ask this in 2017 and there doesn't seem to be a perfectly relevant thread.

I took over a small shop at the beginning of November. They had an older admin before (I'm not exactly young either, but like a guy in his late 50s), and while there are a few areas they're doing things a bit behind the time, there's either plans to upgrade in place or the stuff works well enough that it's not a pressing issue. Overall I'm really impressed. One big exception though is they have a program that everyone uses that uses Microsoft Access.

I was completely honest in my job interview that I didn't know how to do a ton in this software (like 10 years ago I made a little data entry form to add information into a DB and that's it) so expectations aren't high and there's talk of maybe eventually moving most of what lives in this DB to more modern solutions. There is one thing though that people would really like me to fix fast if I can, which is they need an item added to the employee reward system form.

I added the field to the .accdb, that was easy. But I can't figure out how to edit the form. I finally figured out how to open up the back end of the.accde but the form editing tools are greyed out (although it does show the field that I added in the linked table). I really just need to add a couple checkboxes that corespond to the backend and people will be happy.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rick posted:

I'm honestly at a loss as where to ask this in 2017 and there doesn't seem to be a perfectly relevant thread.

I took over a small shop at the beginning of November. They had an older admin before (I'm not exactly young either, but like a guy in his late 50s), and while there are a few areas they're doing things a bit behind the time, there's either plans to upgrade in place or the stuff works well enough that it's not a pressing issue. Overall I'm really impressed. One big exception though is they have a program that everyone uses that uses Microsoft Access.

I was completely honest in my job interview that I didn't know how to do a ton in this software (like 10 years ago I made a little data entry form to add information into a DB and that's it) so expectations aren't high and there's talk of maybe eventually moving most of what lives in this DB to more modern solutions. There is one thing though that people would really like me to fix fast if I can, which is they need an item added to the employee reward system form.

I added the field to the .accdb, that was easy. But I can't figure out how to edit the form. I finally figured out how to open up the back end of the.accde but the form editing tools are greyed out (although it does show the field that I added in the linked table). I really just need to add a couple checkboxes that corespond to the backend and people will be happy.

Quickbooks bro. Just start using it at the new year. Great timing! Do you really want to give your accountant something other than a QB file?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think the hesitation around that actually is because it's a fake token economy they actually want to keep it away from interacting with Quickbooks (which the accountants do use) or something of that nature. The real money is fine, the fake money is not.

I don't think I explained what the reward system is very well but basically employees award each other five "wow bucks" when they do good things and eventually when they get like, 30 dollars, they get a mug, all the way up to getting bonus PTO days and their names on plaques, stuff like that. Since the last IT guy left they added a couple new prizes that aren't in the DB.

Maybe I should just spin up a little internal php app for this, it would probably ultimately be less work if I can't make this go.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rick posted:

Maybe I should just spin up a little internal php app for this, it would probably ultimately be less work if I can't make this go.

Normally I recommend against rolling your own solutions unless you have a real team to support it, but this is probably the best solution as nearly anything is better than a lovely access dB.

That being said, if you do roll your own solution, make triple sure that you migrate the balances correctly and any balance changes are audited, because even if it’s not real money, lots of people take their fake money point balances very seriously.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like there's software out there that will do what you need. I'd Google employee gamification software, employee feedback software, something like that. The MSP I used to work for had something but I can't remember what it was called and I think it was more geared towards MSPs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Accounting software is like communism. It's never been done right but if someone pulled it off it would be something.

Quick books has made me pull my loving hair out on multiple occasions. Especially when Multi User is involved.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Accounting software is like communism. It's never been done right but if someone pulled it off it would be something.

Quick books has made me pull my loving hair out on multiple occasions. Especially when Multi User is involved.

I thought intacct was the one that Does It Right (for smb)?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I thought intacct was the one that Does It Right (for smb)?

I've only come into contact with Quickbooks, Sage, and SAP and they're all total garbage so I don't know.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I mean, spiceworks and stack exchange might be able to do it (but you'll deal with the same thing you're getting here of "why are you using access"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I've only come into contact with Quickbooks, Sage, and SAP and they're all total garbage so I don't know.

There is also Cougar Mountain and Peachtree, but they are also garbage.

I’ve heard freshbooks is good, but I’ve never supported it and it’s a cloud service.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The vague errors that Quickbooks shits out with zero help from their poo poo rear end KB and the answer always being "uninstall, reboot, reinstall" was loving maddening. Along with every single .NET update breaking poo poo was insane.

Intuit is easily king of poo poo mountain for me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gently caress quickbooks to death.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Xero

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not saying QB is good, I'm saying accounts want to see a QB file. Good luck!

[edit] Compared to Access, QB is better. There is zero reason to code any accounting anything at this point. If your accounting structure is not straight up normal which you indicated it is not, figure out why and fix the accounting. Sooner or later you will regret it.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 21, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

redeyes posted:

I'm not saying QB is good, I'm saying accounts want to see a QB file. Good luck!

It wasn't a shot against you, I just have PTSD from Quickbooks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

It wasn't a shot against you, I just have PTSD from Quickbooks.

I loving hate QB and yet I migrated from my own Access DB to a QB one because I don't want to ever do accounting again. That was 10 years ago or so.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Did you know that if you're installing Quickbooks from a CD, that the install time will be 50%-80% shorter if you copy the contents of the CD to the local HD first, then run the installer from that folder?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

Did you know that if you're installing Quickbooks from a CD, that the install time will be 50%-80% shorter if you copy the contents of the CD to the local HD first, then run the installer from that folder?

CD? It's all downloads from here.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

redeyes posted:

CD? It's all downloads from here.

Sorry, that was more of a "Quickbooks is bad" anecdote than any useful advice today, since Intuit's primary distribution method has been digital downloads for at least 5 years now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

Sorry, that was more of a "Quickbooks is bad" anecdote than any useful advice today, since Intuit's primary distribution method has been digital downloads for at least 5 years now.

I can't tell funny from true anymore. Shoot me now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
2017 the year irony died.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Since everything is IT now, does anybody have any recommendations for door entry systems that are IP-based, don't need a local server (clustered or a cloud service is fine), and don't cost a fortune? Something aimed at a company of around 40, and 12 doors.

We're looking at the Axis A1001 as it looks to tick all the boxes, but they're a bit pricey.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Every door access system is expensive. Focus on support and features

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Matt Zerella posted:

Especially when Multi User is involved.

gently caress this shittttt

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I feel like u don’t wanna cheap out on the door entry systems

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Every door access system is expensive. Focus on support and features

I wouldn't even touch the door security. Unless you are trained in door systems, the wiring can be a real bitch sometimes.

We just hired an outside company to do it, and we get full management of the system. It even connects to active directory so we can store the card information in there. A weird feature, but useful none the less. (So I guess it's not very weird then...)

EDIT: am moron

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 3, 2018

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Since everything is IT now, does anybody have any recommendations for door entry systems that are IP-based, don't need a local server (clustered or a cloud service is fine), and don't cost a fortune? Something aimed at a company of around 40, and 12 doors.

We're looking at the Axis A1001 as it looks to tick all the boxes, but they're a bit pricey.

We have this, but through a legit security alarm system. They'll do all the heavy lifting (installing) and will connect you with software vendor who will link it to your active directory (or ldap if you wanna push that boulder up a hill).

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

It even connects to active directory so we can store the card information in there. A weird feature, but useful none the less. (So I guess it's not very weird then...)

That's just a good system. Disable the user in AD, and their keys get locked out too (I assume). That sounds like a great feature to me.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Crowley posted:

That's just a good system. Disable the user in AD, and their keys get locked out too (I assume). That sounds like a great feature to me.

Yeah, I take back my previous statement. It is way more useful than I give it credit for.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just wait for the inevitable user who locks their AD account out after too many failed passwords and decides to go get a coffee "while it sorts itself out" and can't get back into their office.

I realize the system probably differentiates between a disabled and a locked account, but it's a funny thought.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Collateral Damage posted:

Just wait for the inevitable user who locks their AD account out after too many failed passwords and decides to go get a coffee "while it sorts itself out" and can't get back into their office.

I realize the system probably differentiates between a disabled and a locked account, but it's a funny thought.

You will be alerted when the guard calls IT about another locked out card! Stupid door system never works! Or just set it to unlock after 5 minutes which if they are getting a coffee should be enough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Crowley posted:

Yeah we stored our badge numbers in AD and synced that with our access control system. Even let us grant physical access based on AD groups, which was awesome.