Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:siren: Important :siren:

(i miss fro wigs)

dokmo posted:

Here is Tyus jones getting blocked a bunch of times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEFcW3WZmz4

IcePhoenix posted:

Everyone watch Tyus "not Tyler" Jones dunk it in LeBron's face

https://streamable.com/l14vt

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/951292973454589952

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

Julius Randle is David Lee

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

scuz posted:

(i miss fro wigs)

Wiggins and Jimmy both rocking a fro would be pretty cool, and it clearly wasn't negatively effecting his shooting.

Also I'm sure this is a combination of Small Sample Size and quality of opponents but the Wolves have been so much more fun to watch with Tyus starting at point.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Wiggins and Jimmy both rocking a fro would be pretty cool, and it clearly wasn't negatively effecting his shooting.

Also I'm sure this is a combination of Small Sample Size and quality of opponents but the Wolves have been so much more fun to watch with Tyus starting at point.

Small sample size + fair-to-middlin' opponents = hoooo WEEE, lookit that net+ rating!

Tyus is a great fit on the team and I'm glad we have him. I'm still pretty sure that once we hit the playoffs, or are making that last push to GET to the playoffs, Teague will step his game up and get even better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Nahh, Tyus is way more fun. Tyus gives you a worse scoring-headwind than Ricky does for the PG position (with a 10% usage!), so there's a little bit of a "What he brings to the table is fun, but he is a taking a lot off" going on vs Teague though.

Tyus is one of the best bench-PGs in the league though. It's nice to be able to bring someone like that into the starting lineup and not feel the pain you usually do. I'd love to see Tyus/Teague backcourts but Thibs has avoided them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Tyus gives you a worse scoring-headwind than Ricky does for the PG position (with a 10% usage!), so there's a little bit of a "What he brings to the table is fun, but he is a taking a lot off" going on vs Teague though.

This is going straight over my head, can you dumb it down for me?

I will say that as much as I love and defend Ricky, it's nice having a PG that can hit the three (38.8%!) when the defense collapses. And with Towns/Butler/Wiggins on the floor you don't really need a PG that has a high usage.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

the hornets suck and should probably mercifully trade kemba so he can be good on a good team, and then rebuild

p.s. gently caress dwight

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
KAT a slacker

https://clips.twitch.tv/ExuberantImpartialEggnogHassanChop

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/948000466629210113

A Good Oop
Slackers don't have that kind of dedication :colbert:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://streamable.com/6udug

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Its amazing how the Raptors have gone from like, maybe the team I liked watching the least to a top 5 fun team in just a year!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Giannis to the Raps!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdbxhhxlURB/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

This is going straight over my head, can you dumb it down for me?

I will say that as much as I love and defend Ricky, it's nice having a PG that can hit the three (38.8%!) when the defense collapses. And with Towns/Butler/Wiggins on the floor you don't really need a PG that has a high usage.

Tyus has a really low usage, meaning a guy whose value is mostly offensive and has the ball more than other players is not a threat to score. That's not because he is inefficient, he just doesn't shoot. Putting the ball in the hoop is the most important part of playing offense and Tyus cannot create for himself at all, he basically scores in transition and on wide open shots. This is limiting because it closes a big part of your offense down just by having him on the floor. You'll see Centers with that low of usage, but that's ok since the big is probably contributing on defense and can call attention on pick and roll or just being tall near the basket.

Compare that with Ricky, who also had a low usage but still was in the 16-20% range and on average scored almost twice as much as Tyus per possession. Ricky could break down defenses and get to the rim. He created offense, just not efficiently, but it was still useful (even if he wasn't the spot-up threat Tyus is). The higher 3p% is mitigated by the fact that, per possession, he still won't shoot them. Ricky is hitting more 3s per possession than Tyus is. I'll repeat, on a per-possession basis Ricky is doing more to stretch the floor, let that sink in.

This isn't a complete game killer, but if you look at guards/guard-like players who have that low of usage you either see willy-bench vets who come in to settle an offense down, limited spot-up shooters, or defensive experts. Those types of guys are ok off the bench but it really puts a ceiling on the player. Which might be fine for Tyus, and he doesn't need to be a scoring guard, but he won't be any better until he figures out how to create his offense more than he is today. I don't think he'll be an effective starting-level PG until he adds that.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

Tyus has a really low usage, meaning a guy whose value is mostly offensive and has the ball more than other players is not a threat to score. That's not because he is inefficient, he just doesn't shoot. Putting the ball in the hoop is the most important part of playing offense and Tyus cannot create for himself at all, he basically scores in transition and on wide open shots. This is limiting because it closes a big part of your offense down just by having him on the floor. You'll see Centers with that low of usage, but that's ok since the big is probably contributing on defense and can call attention on pick and roll or just being tall near the basket.

Compare that with Ricky, who also had a low usage but still was in the 16-20% range and on average scored almost twice as much as Tyus per possession. Ricky could break down defenses and get to the rim. He created offense, just not efficiently, but it was still useful (even if he wasn't the spot-up threat Tyus is). The higher 3p% is mitigated by the fact that, per possession, he still won't shoot them. Ricky is hitting more 3s per possession than Tyus is. I'll repeat, on a per-possession basis Ricky is doing more to stretch the floor, let that sink in.

This isn't a complete game killer, but if you look at guards/guard-like players who have that low of usage you either see willy-bench vets who come in to settle an offense down, limited spot-up shooters, or defensive experts. Those types of guys are ok off the bench but it really puts a ceiling on the player. Which might be fine for Tyus, and he doesn't need to be a scoring guard, but he won't be any better until he figures out how to create his offense more than he is today. I don't think he'll be an effective starting-level PG until he adds that.
Good breakdown, also Tyus and the rest of the team seems to know that cuz:

https://twitter.com/thedailywolf/status/948073629820047360

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is good, thank you. I do notice that he will look to make the extra pass a lot, even when he's open.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Thibs need to take away their video games for a month and see if defense improves

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacyFriendlyCaribouMcaT

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Thibs need to take away their video games for a month and see if defense improves

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacyFriendlyCaribouMcaT

It's like when the Royals had the ban Clash of Clans from the clubhouse then they won the World Series.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Google NBA founder

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Metapod posted:

Google NBA founder

hahahaha

Best thing to happen in 2018 so far.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

This is false

David Lee had a jumper

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I am actually surprised by Minnesota‘s record. It feels like every time I see them play they lead by double digits before somehow managing to lose anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wasn't David Lee's whole thing being a good passer/shooter for a big way before that was standard for PF's?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Metapod posted:

Google NBA founder

I hope they keep it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Google NBA founder

That was such a good retweet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/948233958772363265

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Tae posted:

Wasn't David Lee's whole thing being a good passer/shooter for a big way before that was standard for PF's?

He was drat near automatic on pick and pops in his last yr in NY.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I am going to rant about the Pelicans so please bear with me.

I am so tired of seeing them look like trash against teams they should beat. When you have AD and Boogie scoring 30 a game each then the team as a whole shoot 25% from 3 it’s frustrating. The worst part is the lack of bench scoring. I know in a perfect world of Solomon Hill is healthy and Moore would move to the bench which would fix some of that but it is frustrating watching them hover around 500 when they have the ability to be higher than that.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
David Lee was an awful shooter what the gently caress are you guys talking about.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I mean, I suppose a dick is kind of like a tie for your bottom half.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Balls move to Lithuania today. Their pro debut is in a week. We need to find a way to stream bad Lithuanian teams.
Also
https://twitter.com/BDaMan25/status/948268058753273862
it's been slightly fixed already

Amazing

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SundayMoney posted:

I am going to rant about the Pelicans so please bear with me.

I am so tired of seeing them look like trash against teams they should beat. When you have AD and Boogie scoring 30 a game each then the team as a whole shoot 25% from 3 it’s frustrating. The worst part is the lack of bench scoring. I know in a perfect world of Solomon Hill is healthy and Moore would move to the bench which would fix some of that but it is frustrating watching them hover around 500 when they have the ability to be higher than that.

Even better is when AD and Boogie score that many, and the team shoots 45% from 3, and you get bench scoring, and still lose to bad teams because trash defense. It's mostly rooted in their transition defense, too: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2017/12/20/the-pelicans-defense-lost-in-transition/

quote:

[...]

First, let’s start with what is NOT the problem – the half court defense. Currently, the Pelicans allow 93.6 points per 100 possessions in this phase, which is ever so slightly worse than league average. Could it be better? Sure, but given the fact that the starting lineup is pretty undersized on the perimeter and that the big men struggle to close out on open shooters, getting into the top 10 before Solomon Hill and his defensive versatility returns may not be especially realistic. If there is any area regarding half court defense that the team could improve, it’s through preventing offensive rebounds. New Orleans rates slightly above league average in this area, but given their personnel, one could argue that “slightly above average” shouldn’t cut it.

[...]

The issue that really pushes this defense over the edge, however, is actually transition points allowed after simple missed shots on offense. 31.6% of opponent live ball rebounds after Pelicans’ misses result in transition opportunities – 23rd in the league – but the truly damning stat is that the Pelicans are worst in the league by FAR in defending transition opportunities after their own missed shots. New Orleans allows 129.2 points per 100 possessions on such plays – for comparison’s sake, the Kings are second to last & still allow over 4 points per 100 possessions fewer (124.9) than the Pels (the median rate is around 115).

[...]

And then the follow-up article breaking down why the transition defense is bad: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2017/12/29/film-study-pelicans-transition-defense/

quote:

[...]

[...]

There's some good words in that second article, too, so be sure to read it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Roundball square pants.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dokmo posted:

David Lee was an awful shooter what the gently caress are you guys talking about.

He shot .490 on jumpers in his last year in NY then it dipped as he got older and less athletic. Pretending he couldn't shoot isn't fair to him.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Kibner posted:

Even better is when AD and Boogie score that many, and the team shoots 45% from 3, and you get bench scoring, and still lose to bad teams because trash defense. It's mostly rooted in their transition defense, too: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2017/12/20/the-pelicans-defense-lost-in-transition/

And then the follow-up article breaking down why the transition defense is bad: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2017/12/29/film-study-pelicans-transition-defense/

There's some good words in that second article, too, so be sure to read it.

Yeah I keep up with those guys and you can tell they are just as frustrated which is telling because they have been the most patient and pushing knowledge to everyone throughout the last couple of years.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
David Lee was the first Warriors All-Star since Latrell loving Sprewell. He's a legend!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

I agree with you about David Lee comp (especially since it's one I've posted before, lol). David Lee was a better finisher, although I guess it's pretty favorable when lining up age. I decided to look at his shooting chart because of Doltos comment and he did have a pretty solid year from two but otherwise it is a super solid chunk of green around the basket, surrounded by red 2s most other years.

Ultimate the question with Randle always has been the defensive effort and it's just not there every night. Walton gets heat for not playing him but he just doesn't have it against every matchup and defensively doesn't put the effort in every single night.

All the same I'd rather have Restricted Contract Randle than unrestricted free agent Noel and possibly having to overpay to keep him. Or you know, losing him all together.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeRozan is shooting almost 50% from 3 over his last ten games 🤔

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Derozan being actually very good bafles me and also fucks up my poll answers,but im happy for the guy if he managed to take that step forward.i still dont like watching him play though because all i can remember are lovely midrange shots and turn around fade aways that clanck off the rim.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Why does Randle have to be bad like x guy or y guy? Can't Julius Randle dig out a niche in this ever-changing NBA and be bad in his own new and unique way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
yeah Derozan is finally shooting .350 from three, just as the league moves into a new era where league average is closer to .360

• Locked thread