Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Cleretic posted:

It's a character action game, with shooter segments and RPG elements. If you don't know 'character action game' as a term, 'action game' will suffice. Easy.

I really don't get why people struggle with that. I mean it's a fantastic game, and probably one of the most emotionally charged I've ever played, but it is not some impossible-to-classify art piece of game design. I have more difficulty describing Zelda games.

3d brawler with puzzle elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Cleretic posted:

It's a character action game, with shooter segments and RPG elements. If you don't know 'character action game' as a term, 'action game' will suffice. Easy.

I really don't get why people struggle with that. I mean it's a fantastic game, and probably one of the most emotionally charged I've ever played, but it is not some impossible-to-classify art piece of game design. I have more difficulty describing Zelda games.

It has more genre shifts than that - platforming and visual novel segments etc. I think both NieR games are best described as action RPGs though. Automata might be a Platinum game but the battle system is built heavily on the first one and there are options which basically let it play itself if desired.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - Super Mario Odyssey: I'm post-all moons and now just grinding some coins to buy moons to the max, so I'm calling it complete. This game is maybe my favorite Mario game ever (tied very closely with SMB3). The controls are great and the environments are beautiful. The new capture mechanic adds a great bit of new gameplay that allows you to explore the worlds in different ways. The story is the same "Bowser kidnapped Peach" crap, and I wish they would've tried something else with it. The post-game is one of the best post-games I've ever played. The actual ending of the game impacts your post-game play, which isn't something you encounter a lot.

If you own a Switch and don't have this game, you are missing out. If you don't own a Switch and love Mario, you may want to consider making the plunge. If you aren't in either of those camps, I'm sorry for your cold, dead heart.

Beat - Super Mario 64: My brother and I decided that it'd be a smart idea to co-op this using the SM64 Online utility while we were both playing Odyssey at the same time. That was a mistake. SM64 is abysmal compared to Odyssey. I have no nostalgia for SM64, as I never owned it or played it as a kid (even though I did own a Nintendo 64 - my parents wouldn't buy SM64 for us for whatever reason). This co-op run-through was literally my first time playing the game. The controls are bad, the camera is janky, and there are some impossibly difficult platforming sections because of those 2 things. A lot of people have written about SM64 being the best game ever, and it has a very high metacritic review, so I apologize if I've angered the internet.

All that being said, I'd wager had I played SM64 as a kid when it first came out, I would've been blown away by its technical achievements for the time and my opinion may be different. Also, SM64 Online is pretty great, since you share all stars collected, so it's easy to divide and conquer the levels.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think anyone's going to be shocked that you found a 21 year old game a bit dated.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Beaten: Nier Automata. This is a game so insanely specifically pointed towards me, the things I like in stories, my favorite aesthetics, action game mechanics I would actually enjoy, and all the good ways to make me cry... to the point where I feel genuinely bad that it's not my game of the year, Persona 5 just barely beat it out. I'd put that final faltering on them going Yoko Taro on the final boss, instead of Platinum; Don't get me wrong, Ending E is amazing, but I prefer spectacle within the genre I've been working in rather than a last-minute genre shift, even if it is a genre the game's gotten me used to.

I'd go back and 100% it, because I enjoyed the game just that much, but unfortunately I am a naturally generous person.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Another batch! I'll have more to say about these at a later date, so here's just the games for the written record:

BEATEN: Flat Heroes

BEATEN: Monolith (Initial Completion)

BEATEN: unWorded

BEATEN: Murder in Tehran's Alleys 2016

BEATEN: The Tenth Line

BEATEN: Evoland 2

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: NieR: Automata. All main endings. Overall a good game, but to my considerable surprise I am not the target audience. In fact, after checking GameFAQs after the fact, it turns out there were several near-disastrous cases where I came within inches of accidentally destroying hours of progress. (To the extent that this was thought through, it is clearly the case that the game expects you to regularly alternate between two saveslots.) EDIT: Checking additional online sources suggests that getting Bad Ends the first time you encounter content behaves differently than in NG+-like modes. I'm not really willing to experiment very hard with this. Cleretic called it a highly emotionally charged game, but my experience with it was much more a case of continuous mood whiplash. There are some solid, meaty themes that show up over the course of the game, but despite that—and despite spending about five pages of text sorting through the implications of those themes and how they are worked out in the world—while I was playing the game I found it simply impossible to take seriously.

Playing it immediately after Skyward Sword was hilarious for reasons I won't need to explain to anyone who's played both.

My computer rig was also a bit below the minimum spec for the game. This mostly wasn't a problem, but I consistently had an issue where the game would stop updating the graphics screen if things got too hectic. Hacking enemies mid-combat was almost always too hectic. I got good enough at menuing blind that I often could save the game blind.

Unfortunately for me, you cannot always save, and sometimes saving is possible but it does not actually restore you with everything you'd accomplished at the point you saved (in an effort to defeat dead-man-walking that makes me think the regularly-alternate-between-two-saveslots protocol was not an intentional player assumption). A scripted sequence in the middle of that no-saves-available run (Chapter 17-06 for those keeping score at home) reliably would hit the "too hectic" threshold.

I thus moonwalked into that scene and battled all the foes while staring at my character's face. I am more smug about that than I am about clearing any of the game's real puzzles.

And Cleretic? I salute your generosity. I regret you did not reach my wings.

UP NEXT: ... no idea really. Probably not a character action game. I am open to suggestions.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 18, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ManxomeBromide posted:

UP NEXT: ... no idea really. Probably not a character action game. I am open to suggestions.

I see FFTactics Advance which is really good and has a divisive story, and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga which is also really, really good. You should play with your GBA! :D

If you want to stick to steam though, get thee to Invisible Inc, one of my favorite games ever. It's a treat and it's so good and play it with the DLC disabled at first - it's great DLC but it extends the campaign and cranks the difficulty up and you want to beat the game first before you tackle that stuff.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

StrixNebulosa posted:

I see FFTactics Advance which is really good and has a divisive story, and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga which is also really, really good. You should play with your GBA! :D

Or my DS, yes. The GBA came out of storage for Link's Awakening.

Firing it up again, I kind of stalled out on FFTA roughly 25 hours in, and I stalled out on Superstar Saga at the very end of the game.

I don't remember what put me off FFTA, especially since I loved FFT to pieces. I distinctly recall hitting a battle in M&LSS that was harder than I was willing to deal with.

What with holiday travel coming up though, portable games are definitely on the menu.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I been thinking of getting this thread for a while now. Like all of us here I bought many games on steam sales and never played or completed many. Inspired by reading most of this thread I decided to get on this completion action.

Beaten: Ys Origins. Didn't know what to expect from this series but always hear great things about it. This is the first in the series so the graphics are really old school but the artstyle doesn't make it look too bad. Action JRPG where you do level up and gather equipment. But after you get your 3 abilities you are set to go. It is a rather deep game because even though the characters have few abilities those abilities all have a purpose instead of having many spells that aren't useful. The main depth in the combat comes from the enemies. Enemies don't become just tankier or stronger but they all do something different so you have to adapt in every new arena. Some enemies are stronger in water so you have to drag them out of it, others have anti air abilities so you have to fight without double jumping etc etc... The highlight of the game is the music and the boss designs. The boss designs are great. Each boss will force you to master an aspect of the game. One boss might require platforming to hit him, another might require perfect reaction time to block his damage and another test your patience. Every boss is cool and different.

I will probably play it again as another character on harder difficulty.

Beaten: Dark Souls 1 + DLC. Can't say much more about this game than has already been said. I had already completed Demon's Souls so I wasn't completely new to the series. I did multiple playthroughs as different classes and 1 new game +. Finished all the secret areas(painted world, undead asylum) and did the dlc too. Just having finished Demon Souls/ DS1 this series deserves all the love it gets. I actually don't think the lore is that great but the game atmosphere and music is awesome. DLC's level design was generic compared to the main game which had very cool level designs. But the 4 bosses from the DLC were all really memorable and fun. Also managed to play online and had fun invading others.

Beaten: Hitman Blood Money. Another classic game. I heard this is one of the best stealth games + best hitman games. It still holds up today. The mechanics of the game are still used in modern stealth games. Every level/mission is so well designed. You can play it gun's blazing but the most rewarding is playing it full stealth. Some levels were really well designed in that you could finish in them in first try. Other missions you generally had to play it more than once to know some stuff before hand in order to do a full stealth run. The game has some decent replay value to even though in a 2nd run you know the guard's cycles/positioning. The story doesn't make any sense or at least I didn't find it interesting. There are some outrageous kills you can get like exploding a c4 on a hanging swimming pool which the movie Mechanic Resurrection straight ripped off.

Beaten: Xcom Enemy Unknown. Pretty much nothing bad to say about this game. Great strategy/tactical combat game in the vain of Fire Emblem/Advance Wars. Sniper and ovewatch was really broken in this game so it was easy even on hard. I didn't like the base building aspect but maybe that was just me.

Beaten: The Wolf Among Us. This one is like every other Telltale game. Bit buggy at times, same comic book style graphics like The Walking Dead but the interactive story is really intense and enjoyable. I thought initially the setting of a bunch of Fables characters living in New York would be stupid but actually it was really interesting. How these characters cope with their past and trying to blend in modern society was done well. I love playing gamey games but Telltale games are a nice palette cleanser once in a while. I will definitely get the sequel for this.

That is like all I finished this year + pokemon games. I dropped Alpha Protocol because the combat, rpg and stealth elements were all weak. I feel like Obsidian should have just focused on one thing. I normally love everything Obsidian make but this was awful to play, sadly the story seemed really interesting. Also dropped Xcom2. Gameplay wise it is better than the first one but nearly every missioned was timed which I didn't like. As it seemed that was the only way the devs knew how to make the game hard.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Those are some quality games, drat.

For XCOM 2, the time limits aren't usually that terrible of a factor (but with the way levels are generated you can get a bad one). One of the biggest additions 2 did was open the gates to mods which have covered almost every niggle that's annoying to everything you didn't know you wanted (like anime or a bunch of completely new classes or huge revamps). One of them is called something like True Concealment where the timer doesn't start until the moment you're discovered, others that give more information like flank windows before you commit to a move, and adding an 'Overwatch everyone' button.

It's definitely a different pace that's not possible to just copy the best XCOM EU strategies (slow as possible), but (aside from content DLCs not WotC) it does a lot of great things on its own. Way more customization, some fun and interesting new enemies and just some loving different maps (which after EU and EW was extremely welcome) and no more messing with aircrafts.

For Alpha Protocol, you just want to focus allin on a combat style (pistols particularly become crazy), and if you pick rookie the first time you can pick veteran the next time with specific dialogue options and starts off at a higher level so you can be good at combat from the getgo. But one of the best things about it was how much people react and change to how you treat them withou a global modifier broadcasting how you were a jerk to one person.

The combat is never good, though.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
With Alpha Protocol you should just go for maximum cheese with pistols or something. The story and the ways it can change according to your decisions is the party piece there, not the combat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I agree. I always play games on the hardest difficulty because I like hard games, but I will never do Hard on Alpha Protocol again. It was pretty frustrating. Game itself is A+ though. Based on the level design, the stealth is clearly based around knocking out every guy in the room, and not ghosting. Do not try to ghost Alpha Protocol, you will only end up sad and alone.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Beaten: Tales of Berseria. Grabbed this game in the last Steam sale since it looked good, I hadn't played any JRPG in years, and the reviews were looking very good. Impressions:

- It's a JRPG alright.
- The production values are very good. Ingame cutscenes literally look like real time rendered anime.
- The PC port is very solid, at least when using a controller.
- The localization is outstanding. The English voice actors are a bit hit and miss for the smaller parts, but translation is top notch. It reminded me of Recettear in how much proper localization can really make a game.
- JRPG or not, the main reason to write this review was to say I really appreciated the emotional depth the characters had. Even though it's colorful and zany and cutesy and crazy and JRPG, in a way it's a more grown-up game than most Western RPGs. In a typical game like Dragon Age you meet a character who joins the party, do a character's backstory quest and whatever, then you gently caress, and then it's time for endgame. In contrast, the main characters here just have so much broader, relatable palette of emotions and interactions. For example just taking care of a little brother (or a kid you orphan). Being independent. Having moral dilemmas. Talking to girls. Being girls. Actually just being dicks sometimes. These are well written characters with depth and interesting motivations, all the while not forgetting the encompassing RPG plot.
- The plot is good, but its persentation is particularly good. Starting rustic and small-scale, it gradually and dynamically grows in scope to the typical apocalyptic scale. The direction is well aware of what the player has seen and come to know. Playing this game was a lot like watching a pretty good TV series.
- Before I forget, the interactions and little vignettes between your party members are done extremely well.
- Very often, these interactions are legitimately HILARIOUS.
- Come to think of it, as far the conversations between likable partymembers, this game is the best I've ever seen.

As far as downsides
- The combat system is a bit needlessly complex. So is the loot system to some extent. Fiddling with all this stuff distracts you from the story, so I would've honestly liked a simpler system. Thankfully, you can change difficulty to easier on the fly, and just spam your favorite combo for the win if you like.
- Some of the dungeon design is pretty lazy, particularly in the endgame.

So yeah, I really enjoyed it for the characters and how the story was told. The combat wasn't my cup of tea, but at least it's avoidable, and grinding was unnecessary.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finished: 12 Labours of Hercules VI: Race for Olympos
The latest entry in this series of casual time/resource management. Very polished.

"Finished": Atari Vault
As this is a collection of old Atari arcade games, it's really not possible to finish them, but as I haven't played them in a long time, I'm retiring the installation.
There are some really fun games in there, but also a lot of jank.

Finished: Darkarta: A Broken Heart's Quest Standard Edition
Finished: Persian Nights: Sands of Wonders
Finished: Tiny Tales: Heart of the Forest
Hidden Object Games

Nulled: The Dreamlord
Nulled: Heli Heroes
Nulled: Undead vs Plants
Nulled: WayOut 2: Hex
Nulled: Wolf Simulator
Bad bundle games

Nulled: The Final Station
Absolutely loved the setting, the atmosphere, the design, the story, the action. Basically everything. Except when it got too hard for me to do any real progress.
I couldn't figure out how to handle some of the enemies, which got really frustrating, so I quit.

Finished: Hidden Folks (again)
Love this Where's Waldo/Hidden Object game, and the devs added 3 new levels, I just had to play.

Nulled: Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora
I supported this on Kickstarter but had forgotten all about it.
Now I'm not really sure what I expected it to be. Did I think it was an adventure game, an puzzle platformer or something else? Not really sure the developers could decide as well.
Excellent graphics style, and the detective noir style is great, but there are too many breaks, like all the dialog or using the gun/reloading.

Finished (again): Machinarium
A great little adventure puzzle game that had cards and achievements added, so I enjoyed another playthrough.

Nulled: School Bus Fun
I thought it was a Time/Resource management game like 12 Labours, but it's more like those restaurant manager games. Still a casual game, but I didn't care for it.

Nulled: So Many Cubes
Something about spawning cubes that hits the opponents tent pole, or something. It felt very Early Access.

Finished: True Fear: Forsaken Souls Part 1
Yes, it's yet another Hidden Object game, but this might be the first HOG that actually gave me the chills.
There are still a lot of the supernatural stuff going on, and the horror parts are probably kids stuff if you watch a lot of horror movies, but yeah, I was spooked.
Not sure if Part 2 ever comes out.

Nulled: Unbox
Like a cheap Lego knockoff game with lots of boxes jumping around.

Nulled: Zombie Solitaire
It's not a bad game per se, but there are a lot better solitaire games out there. Also it's zombie themed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Those are some quality games, drat.

For XCOM 2, the time limits aren't usually that terrible of a factor (but with the way levels are generated you can get a bad one). One of the biggest additions 2 did was open the gates to mods which have covered almost every niggle that's annoying to everything you didn't know you wanted (like anime or a bunch of completely new classes or huge revamps). One of them is called something like True Concealment where the timer doesn't start until the moment you're discovered, others that give more information like flank windows before you commit to a move, and adding an 'Overwatch everyone' button.

It's definitely a different pace that's not possible to just copy the best XCOM EU strategies (slow as possible), but (aside from content DLCs not WotC) it does a lot of great things on its own. Way more customization, some fun and interesting new enemies and just some loving different maps (which after EU and EW was extremely welcome) and no more messing with aircrafts.

For Alpha Protocol, you just want to focus allin on a combat style (pistols particularly become crazy), and if you pick rookie the first time you can pick veteran the next time with specific dialogue options and starts off at a higher level so you can be good at combat from the getgo. But one of the best things about it was how much people react and change to how you treat them withou a global modifier broadcasting how you were a jerk to one person.

The combat is never good, though.

I totally agree with you Xcom2 seemed like an obvious improvement to XcomEU in terms of gameplay. I don't mind the timer mission but my issue was how prevalent they were throughout the campaign. I definitely enjoyed the customization and more unique enemies.

Alpha Protocol, I didn't mention but I played the game on the hardest difficulty and put many points in martial arts. I should have read a guide before or something because Martial art was definitely one of those skills you get in RPGS which are totally useless. I intended on doing full stealth/martial art run but pistol was so much better and by the time I realized how good pistol was it was too late.

The thing is there is literally no enemies who fight hand 2 hand so it is a noob trap skill tree. I wish I would have know that I would have gone silenced pistol.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I agree. I always play games on the hardest difficulty because I like hard games, but I will never do Hard on Alpha Protocol again. It was pretty frustrating. Game itself is A+ though. Based on the level design, the stealth is clearly based around knocking out every guy in the room, and not ghosting. Do not try to ghost Alpha Protocol, you will only end up sad and alone.

Ya hard is a bitch in that game. I think in the beforeiplay wiki someone should put if you are doing AP on hard put all skills in the pistol. With the slow motion ability u can head shot everyone in the room late game.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Ulio posted:

The thing is there is literally no enemies who fight hand 2 hand so it is a noob trap skill tree. I wish I would have know that I would have gone silenced pistol.

This must vary by path. One of my favorite sequences in the game was one where I had been locked in a room with several formerly-polite-and-friendly NPCs, who had just been given an order to beat me until I could no longer stand.

Time from that order to me being the only person conscious in the room was about 1.5 seconds. However, I mixed Pistol with CQC that run, and it was on Normal, but CQC saw an awful lot of use from me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I think it is definitely related to difficulty because if a bullet grazed your toe you would die immediately on hard. So you couldn't bum rush the enemies even 1v1 with cqc.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
Christmas is one of the worst times of year for my backlog. :cry:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ulio posted:

Alpha Protocol will alter certain cutscenes based on your skill level. For example, if you invested in Hand to Hand, you get to give this dude at the end of Saudi Arabia a really sweet flying knee kick or something, otherwise you just do something else.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I said it somewhere in the forum, but I think it'd be best if Obsidian Stuck to the writing and someone else did the game play the way Square Enix did the story and let Platinum do the game play for Nier:Automata

Alpha Protocol was a great, engaging story but goddamn was in janky. Even by folding the game over your knee by becoming a ghost that can land really good head shots, there's still that possibility that something in the game doesn't trigger and you get stuck in a room.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I said it somewhere in the forum, but I think it'd be best if Obsidian Stuck to the writing and someone else did the game play the way Square Enix did the story and let Platinum do the game play for Nier:Automata

Alpha Protocol was a great, engaging story but goddamn was in janky. Even by folding the game over your knee by becoming a ghost that can land really good head shots, there's still that possibility that something in the game doesn't trigger and you get stuck in a room.

Alpha Protocol was like, their last janky game. Dungeon Siege 3, Southpark, PoE and Tyranny were free of any serious problems at release. PoE had some bugs that were fixed via patch pretty quickly, but nothing game breaking AFAIK.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled: Android John
Wouldn't let me install and I didn't really look for any fixes after reading the reviews.

Nulled: Bot Vice
Awesome soundtrack and gfx for this little retro shooter/shmup. Too bad my reflexes are not what they used to be, and I couldn't even get past the first boss fight.
Grab it while it's still ridiculous cheap.

Finished: DinerTown Detective Agency
Old school Hidden Object game, where there is no story, very easy/simple puzzles, and plenty of HO scenes.

Nulled: KnightShift
Wouldn't let me start the game after installation. Not that I really lusted for another TopWare game anyway.

Finished: Lines by Nestor Yavorskyy
It looked like a really nice and chill casual puzzler, and it was.'
Except for being achievement spammed with loving 590 achievement when solving the 100 levels. And with such Steam community sourced classic achievements as "RAPE" and "I LIKE BOOBS", how can you not want to gift this laidback puzzle game to grandma?

Finished: New York Mysteries: Secrets of the Mafia
Standard HOG with Poser models.

Finished: The Room
Why the gently caress did it take me so long to get around to play The Room. Excellent puzzle game that doesn't overstay its welcome, and you'll never be stuck as there are hints to solving the puzzles without punishing you.

Nulled: Songbringer
I haven't played a Zelda-like action/adventure game for quite a while, so I really enjoyed this. While 100% pixel art style, it really works well with the whole atmosphere and sound style.
You need to figure out by yourself how a lot of things work, which kinda annoyed me. Reading up on it helped a lot and really motivated me to try and finish it. As with a lot of other action games, when it then comes down to the action, I'm simply just lovely at games apparently, as I wasn't able to get past some of the bosses and unlock important tools and upgrades, no matter how many times I tried.
Too bad, but I definitely had fun while I still had a sense of continuous progress.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
Nulled: SquareCells, CrossCells I generally like puzzle games a lot but these just get too difficult for me to enjoy. Sitting staring at the same puzzle for an hour feeling like an idiot to make the slightest bit of progress just feels like a huge waste of time.

Nulled: The Long Dark I can see why survival game purists would love this and it's not a bad game but I just got really bored of it before I could finish the story mode.

Beaten: Splinter Cell: Conviction & Blacklist I'd already beaten these around the time they came out but I've been in the mood for some Splinter Cell recently. Conviction is okay but a bit too action-oriented for my liking. Blacklist is a lot better and possibly the second best SC game behind Chaos Theory.

Beaten: Shadwen Extremely average stealth game but I was able to blast through it fairly quickly and it managed to hold my attention mainly thanks to the cool and well implemented time shifting and rope mechanics.

Beaten: Metal Slug Fun and quick to blast through with infinite credits.

Hope you all had a good Christmas and didn't buy too many games (I did).

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Holiday backlog damage has been relatively light, and wasn't Steam-related at all:

NEW GAME: Metroid: Samus Returns. This is also, more or less, "in progress" but it seems to be sending me running in circles a lot. I'm not getting into it well. We'll see how things go.

NEW GAME: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. This, Wind Waker, and BotW are the three Zeldae I haven't played, and I remain yet Switchless.

ALSO IN PROGRESS: Some incremental-progress games like Chip's Challenge 2 and the Card City Nights 2 challenge run, and I've also been looking into Invisible Inc once I get ready to start a new Steam game, as the thread suggested.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

End of year bash!

BEATEN: Cosmic Star Heroine
BEATEN: The Floor is Jelly - A game where everything is extremely bouncy!!
BEATEN: INK - Splatoon platformer where the platforms are invisible until you squid them
BEATEN: Tacoma - Better than Gone Home in a lot of ways
BEATEN: Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet - Really awful, avoid
BEATEN: The Last Time - Simple, somewhat amateur point n click
BEATEN: Rising Islands - Really janky, still feels like early access
BEATEN: Alicemare - See below
BEATEN: 1bitheart - Alicemare and 1bitheart are both by the LiEat developer, and this entire trilogy suffers from a juvenile style of writing that feels very childish in a bad way.
BEATEN: Shipwreck - Cute little Zelda-like.
BEATEN (kinda): The Basement Collection - With an anthology, beating several games, unlocking the hidden stuff, that's enough to call it beaten in my book.
BEATEN: Barrow Hill: Curse of the Ancient Circle - Campy Myst-style game (not hidden object)
BEATEN: A Tale of Caos: Overture - Point n click game with no actual character movement which is weird but I'm starting to see this style more often lately.
BEATEN: Tales [PC] - Traditional point n click game made in AGS where you travel through books like Gumby and help fictional characters so they can help you defeat an evil book demon.
BEATEN: Hidden Folks - Animated Wheres Waldo with human mouth sound effects!!

AAAAAAND! The first beaten game of 2018!

BEATEN: Kelvin & the Infamous Machine - Point n click where you visit historical figures and unfuck time. Humor is.... eh.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 2, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Cosmic Star Heroine
BEATEN: Tacoma
BEATEN: Alicemare
BEATEN: 1bitheart
BEATEN: Hidden Folks

Can I request your opinions on these games?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can I request your opinions on these games?
Cosmic Star Heroine is excellent, much better than past Zeboyd games. The encounter design is very smart, and the battle mechanics of exhaustible actions that recharge on resting makes every encounter much more tactical. No button mashing to win in this game. Despite the Chrono Trigger influence (like enemy sets that are on the map itself), combo attacks and stuff are hidden behind a special equippable shield you get in the second half of the game which I didn't bother using. Lots of party members with their own styles, some of whom are buffers, some of whom are offense-heavy. Exploration usually gets you new weapons and shields to customize characters further.

I wouldn't bother with Alicemare/1bitheart.

Tacoma is much denser with its content than Gone Home was. You have AR glasses that allow you to playback conversations that happen on a space ship, often spread out across multiple rooms, allowing you to follow certain conversations between characters. You can also snoop on their computers when they use them, and rewind/pause/FF dialogue whenever you want. The game is still not significantly long, maybe 4 hours, but lots of stuff to look at, characters lives to observe, and a corporate dystopia to get depressed by.

Hidden Folks is really cool, I played it on iOS but a high definition screen can definitely help. The list of characters along the bottom of each screen have sprites whose actions are mirrored by the characters on the map, to help you a little, but the hints are just vague enough to give you a general idea of where they might be but not outright spelling it. There's lots of interactive stuff that has nothing to do with finding people, like opening doors, opening tents, digging holes, moving billboards around, etc. Sometimes it's fun just to poke stuff to see what noises happen. The developers recently added a giant Factory map, making me think more content may come in the future.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 2, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Cosmic Star Heroine is excellent, much better than past Zeboyd games. The encounter design is very smart, and the battle mechanics of exhaustible actions that recharge on resting makes every encounter much more tactical. No button mashing to win in this game. Despite the Chrono Trigger influence (like enemy sets that are on the map itself), combo attacks and stuff are hidden behind a special equippable shield you get in the second half of the game which I didn't bother using. Lots of party members with their own styles, some of whom are buffers, some of whom are offense-heavy. Exploration usually gets you new weapons and shields to customize characters further.

I wouldn't bother with Alicemare/1bitheart.

Tacoma is much denser with its content than Gone Home was. You have AR glasses that allow you to playback conversations that happen on a space ship, often spread out across multiple rooms, allowing you to follow certain conversations between characters. You can also snoop on their computers when they use them, and rewind/pause/FF dialogue whenever you want. The game is still not significantly long, maybe 4 hours, but lots of stuff to look at, characters lives to observe, and a corporate dystopia to get depressed by.

Hidden Folks is really cool, I played it on iOS but a high definition screen can definitely help. The list of characters along the bottom of each screen have sprites whose actions are mirrored by the characters on the map, to help you a little, but the hints are just vague enough to give you a general idea of where they might be but not outright spelling it. There's lots of interactive stuff that has nothing to do with finding people, like opening doors, opening tents, digging holes, moving billboards around, etc. Sometimes it's fun just to poke stuff to see what noises happen. The developers recently added a giant Factory map, making me think more content may come in the future.

Cheers, thank you! Gonna zap Alicemare and 1bitheart from my wishlist and look a little more closely at the others.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok I didn't much finished since last time.

Beaten: Binary Domain. I had this game on the 360 but never went past the first few chapters. It is a third person shooter from Japan which is already pretty rare and made by the same team that makes the great Yakuza games. One of the interesting mechanics is that it has built in voice recognition so you can control your squad with your voice. Unfortunately I don't have a headset and had to use my webcam's microphone and it wasn't consistent enough for the game so I just played by using the buttons to command them. The gameplay was pretty good. I would compare the core gameplay to Gears of War. You shoot and use cover to fight most of the enemies. The weapons are not as cool as Gears of War but the enemy designs are a lot better. You only fight robots throughout the game but it doesn't get boring. Because the developers made it so that the robots would fight even if you shot their body parts off. If you shot their legs off they would still shoot at you but they would move by crawling, if you remove their gun hand they just charge at you and kick you. IF you headshot them they are still alive but can't recognize enemy from foe so they might help you out. There are a few cool bosses like Giant Spider Robot, GIant Robot Gorrilla, Giant Robot Chandelier and many more. The characters are interesting but not anything ground breaking. Cain which is the only ally robot has some very good dialogue/lines. The game looks alright on PC, the character models are REALLY good especially the faces. The story actually is a interesting take on the sentience of robots and there are some good plot twists but the game is mostly a 90s sci fi action movie type of deal. Played it on the hardest difficulty but only struggled in some areas and the bosses were easy even though I heard they were hard. There is another difficulty that unlocks after the first completion which I probably won't bother. There is also a multiplayer aspect to it but it is dead. Overall liked it a lot. A solid 4/5 game but memorable because of its interesting characters and fun gameplay. Made me want to play the Yakuza games from this developer.

Beaten:Total War: Shogun 2. I have spent hundreds of hours on this franchise but that was mostly Rome 1 and Medieval 2. Despite owning all the sequels I never got into to them. It is hard to count this game as beaten since I will still probably play it more sometime in the future. I won the grand campaign. Had fun with my clan and I love the feudal Japan setting. But don't have much desire to play any more of this.

Gonna play Persona 5 so I might play a bunch of small indie games from my steam backlog to cross off.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: Super Mario Odyssey

Pretty much distilled joy in videogame form. Every couple of minutes you come across some neat little detail, amusing character or imaginative gameplay wrinkle that makes you remember why Nintendo are so loving good at this sort of thing. Even better, the addition of Cappy really opens up 3D Mario's moveset, letting you combo all kinds of intricate dives, hat jumps and wall kicks together in a way that makes you feel like you're breaking the game. Of course, just when you think you've gotten somewhere you're not supposed to be you find a stack of coins up there and realised the designers anticipated this all along. On top of that there are some amazing set pieces. The New Donk City Festival is probably my favourite, but the ending sequence and final boss is a series best for Mario.

It feels like a game that's building on the past rather than wallowing in nostalgia, particularly in that it repeatedly takes the 2D 1985 Super Mario Brothers gameplay and does all kinds of crazy things with it that don't feel dated in the slightest. Anyhow, I finished the main plot in the first week, then spent two weeks unlocking the two bonus stages, then spent a week grinding through the final stage - a non-checkpointed platforming sequence that demands pinpoint precision. Before the postgame I was a little worried that the game was too easy, so I was pleased to see it crank up the difficulty in the optional bits.

I really hope they release some DLC for this - it's difficult not to smile when you're playing.

BEATEN: Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

I was a huge fan of The New Order and The Old Blood, so it's a bit disappointing that this is a slight stepdown. It's still a great game mind you, it just feels like it could have used a bit more time in the oven. The 60s USA under Nazi rule setting is beautifully conveyed, and the plot still manages to be both loving barmy and weirdly touching (and Frau Engels is one of the more hateful villains I've seen in a game). It's fun on the moments of downtime when you can drink in the retrofuturistic set design and obvious historical research that's gone into stuff.

Unfortunately it's a bit off as a shooter. For one, it's really difficult, at least to begin with. You will die a lot and quickly, often with no idea what's killed you. The slowly decreasing health system, which counts down when you're boosted, means you have to keep pressing forward and play aggressively. Fortunately the game supports quicksaves so it's not impossible to grind through, but there are many moments of trial and error throughout. Also, despite the levels generally starting off in cool environments you generally end up fighting in subterranean tunnels that feel a bit samey.

I sound down on this, but I enjoyed myself. I just wished it had been the leap up from TNO that I thought it would be.

BEATEN: Teslagrad

Diverting Metroidvania that's a bit light on difficulty. Cool enough fantasy Soviet aesthetic, but the anonymous young boy hero and various electricity related powerups felt overly familiar for the genre. It does have nice background art and music though. Sadly it committed one of my pet design hates late on - gating off the final boss and requiring you to collect X number of secret scrolls that the game hadn't indicated I'd needed before. There's nothing lamer than getting psyched up for the end of a game only to realise you have to do a bunch of backtracking.

BEATEN: Metrico+

A puzzle-based platformer with a minimalist design that's obsessed with graphs. Looks and sounds nice, though some of the puzzles are a bit obtuse. There's also an overarching symbolic narrative that's way too vague to care about. It also glitched out on me a lot - most annoyingly during the ending sequence meaning I had to redo that last bit of the final level again to get an animation to trigger.

BEATEN: Street Fighter Alpha 2

I'm not sure why I dig Alpha 2 so much. Arguably Alpha 3 is the superior game (it's certainly got 'more' in it), but I like the relative simplicity of this (which I played to death on the Saturn back in the 90s). It also manages to give the SF2 characters a lick of paint and smoothly slot in the newer Alpha characters - most of whom have really interesting gameplay gimmicks. I'm a big fan of switching up Gen's movelist midfight and also of Rolento's hit n' run fighting style. Managed to beat the game with every character and had a great time doing it - but after 20 hours of gameplay I still can't put my finger on why this particular SF stands out for me.

BEATEN: Super Rude Bear Resurrection

A hard as nails platformer heavily indebted to Super Meat Boy in game philosophy and moveset. Has a really interesting mechanic where your bodies remain after death - so if you land on spikes the corpse renders them harmless. It essentially makes the game perserverance vs skill, as with enough patience you can gum up whatever death machine is in front of you with enough of your mangled corpses. It's also got a seriously cool grime soundtrack, with a bespoke track for each level.

BEATEN: Sonic the Hedgehog 2

I still remember booting this up for the first time as a kid in 1992, and I think it's really stood the test of time. The levels are all memorable and have their own little gimmicks and it's got a beautifully judged difficulty curve, up to and including the final bosses (which I'm pleased to say I nailed first time on this playthrough despite not having played it in a decade or so). Decided to get all the Chaos Emeralds legit this time though and I'd forgotten exactly how much of a pain in the arse those half-pipe special stages are - ended up giving in and save-scumming through the more impossible ones. Great game though and one of the all-time best 16-bit soundtracks imo.

NULLED: Sim City 2000

My Dad used to play this back in the day, but it was a bit dry for me then. It still is now, though I can appreciate why it's still so highly regarded.

Anyhow, I created Dazzaville and begin to grow it into a burgeoning metropolis. Things were looking so good by the 1950s that I expanded across the river that cut through the town, thus creating wealthy Old Dazzaville and the sadly slum-filled bumtown New Dazzaville, where my heavy industry was located. All was well until I cut the cord on my brand new airport. A month later a jet liner crashed right into the middle of Old Dazzaville, starting a fire. In a serious breach of my mayoral duties I forgot you had to manually send out the firefighters and by the time I realised it was too late - the fire could not be stopped. In desperation I dynamited all the cross-river links between Old and New Dazzaville in an attempt to at least save half the city.

It worked, but at a heavy cost: Old Dazzaville. After burning for two years it became an ominous wasteland of burnt corpses and twisted metal. We don't talk about Old Dazzaville.

NULLED: Iron Storm

Janky-rear end early 2000s budget shooter that imagines a world in which WW1 lasted into the 60s. Played through the first mission and put up with crap guns, hitscanning enemies, atrocious graphics and lovely acting. Couldn't see much of worth here.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 2, 2018

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: The Champion's Ballad - This is the second DLC of BotW. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it still turned out to be an enjoyable experience. The first portion of this DLC really soured me since it's one of those "you have to beat this without getting hit at all" gameplay elements. But once I got past that, it was very good. The additional story elements added some background to the various champions which builds out the world more. The final boss is a nice twist, and the reward for beating the DLC is pretty awesome, too. Playing the DLC also stoked me to find all 120 shrines. Coming back to the game made me remember why it was so good in the first place.

Nulled: Cloudlands: VR Minigolf - I bought a Vive for Christmas and a few games with it. This isn't really a beatable game, but my wife and I have enjoyed the heck out of it. The physics are sometimes wonky, and the putter sometimes behaves oddly when hitting the ball, but it's still a fun minigolf game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

BEATEN: Super Mario Odyssey

BEATEN: Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

Odyssey sounds awesome and makes me wish I had a switch.

One question I have regarding Wolfenstein. I keep hearing it is not as action packed as the first one and there is way too many cutscenes in it. Is that true?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ulio posted:

Odyssey sounds awesome and makes me wish I had a switch.

One question I have regarding Wolfenstein. I keep hearing it is not as action packed as the first one and there is way too many cutscenes in it. Is that true?

There are a lot of cutscenes, but they're really well directed and written so it doesn't feel like a chore. When you're not in a cutscene you are invariably killing the hell out of Nazis in gunfights with lazers, killer dogs and things exploding all over the place. I'd say it's pretty drat action packed.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Wolfenstein 2 is close to half the length of the first one. The level design got a bit worse; it feels impossible to stealth an entire level anymore. And there are at least 2 sections that I can't help but remember as being annoying or a slog.

That being said the cutscenes are way more interesting and fun (the highlight of the game), some of the vignettes are pulled off crazy well, you meet Hitler, the acting and characters are as good as they ever been and watching the action is ridiculously enjoyable. The laserguns are pretty cool and satisfying to use, but most of the gunplay/levels just feel drab compared to the cutscenes since it's all pretty standard. It's such a ridiculous, stupid story I would recommend it to most people (and certainly to anyone that like the first one) but the game being so short and a pretty bog standard shooter I would absolutely recommend against paying full price.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Well its that time of the year to round up all the games beaten. Didnt post much before, so I dont feel this is too redundant. Here goes:

Stats:
Beaten: 50
-Out in 2017: 6
-Out before 2017: 44

Came out in 2017 (Beat):
Destiny 2
LEGO Worlds
Mr Shifty
Scanner Sombre
Slime-San
Super Mario Odyssey

Came out before 2017 (Beat):
Absolute Drift
ADR1FT
Assassins Creed Freedom Cry
Assassins Creed Rogue
Bound
Clustertruck
Cubixx HD
Dishonored 2
Dragon Quest Builders
Earth Defense Force 4.1
Epistory - Typing Chronicles
Event[0]
Gauntlet
Grow Up
Hard West
Homefront: The Revolution
Hue
HunniePop (I have no regrets)
Klocki
Lumo
Maize
Mini Metro
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
Neon Chrome
Nova-111
Portal Knights
Project Snowblind
RIVE
Ryse: Son of Rome
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Skyforce Anniversary
Sniper Elite 4
Stardew Valley
Steamworld Hesit
Super Motherload
Superhot
Tiny Troopers Joint Ops
Titanfall 2
Transformers: Devestation
Type : Rider
Until Dawn
Velocity 2X
Virginia
Wasted

Played but didnt / cant beat:
- Path of Exile
- Marvel Heroes (RIP)
- Elder Scrolls Online
- Skyrim: Special Edition (Modded to hell /already beaten)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nice to hear Wolfenstein 2 is still batshit insane. I will get it eventually then.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
New years resolution:

Don't buy any games in 2018, play through your backlog instead - it contains games of all genres!!!

Let's see how well it'll go.............

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Zam Wesell posted:

New years resolution:

Don't buy any games in 2018, play through your backlog instead - it contains games of all genres!!!

Let's see how well it'll go.............

I tried this in 2016. It did not go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

NULLED: Sim City 2000

My Dad used to play this back in the day, but it was a bit dry for me then. It still is now, though I can appreciate why it's still so highly regarded.

Anyhow, I created Dazzaville and begin to grow it into a burgeoning metropolis. Things were looking so good by the 1950s that I expanded across the river that cut through the town, thus creating wealthy Old Dazzaville and the sadly slum-filled bumtown New Dazzaville, where my heavy industry was located. All was well until I cut the cord on my brand new airport. A month later a jet liner crashed right into the middle of Old Dazzaville, starting a fire. In a serious breach of my mayoral duties I forgot you had to manually send out the firefighters and by the time I realised it was too late - the fire could not be stopped. In desperation I dynamited all the cross-river links between Old and New Dazzaville in an attempt to at least save half the city.

It worked, but at a heavy cost: Old Dazzaville. After burning for two years it became an ominous wasteland of burnt corpses and twisted metal. We don't talk about Old Dazzaville.

This is the best thing I've ever read in this thread.