Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

It's ok for the fictional fascist space patriarchy to have regressive hiring practices. They aren't good people we should be emulating .

It's also just as ok for the Daughters of Cacophony not to make boy vampires!

Yes, but when you're playing the 40k RPGs for some reason, and your sister wants to play a lady space marine, let her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Agreed, it's a big universe.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Everyone knows if you go against established fiction, the game system has a way of shutting down.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I completely love the Bretonian thing where all knights are men, but if Sir Percivere gets caught being a woman she needs to go on a penitent quest that essentially amounts to the questing she'd do normally.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

slap me and kiss me posted:

Everyone knows if it's Legitimate Fanon, the game system has a way of shutting down.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes, but when you're playing the 40k RPGs for some reason, and your sister wants to play a lady space marine, let her.

My current headcanon: The Astartes would -like- to add Battle Sisters, but the Adeptas Soriritas inducts every able-bodied girl they can get their hands on before the Spehs Mureens can get to them.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And that's saying something with Changeling: the Dreaming in the room.

I'm not too familiar with it, what's lovely about Changeling?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kavak posted:

My current headcanon: The Astartes would -like- to add Battle Sisters, but the Adeptas Soriritas inducts every able-bodied girl they can get their hands on before the Spehs Mureens can get to them.

Well now I'm just imagining a job fair with like a booth for Space Marines and one for Adeptas Sororitas and there's just a huge line for the latter and one lone woman at the Space Marine booth with all the battle brothers trying to convince her to join by letting her hold the flamer and giving her brochures about their sweet vehicles and then she joins the other line while they try not to cry.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Baron Snow posted:

I'm not too familiar with it, what's lovely about Changeling?

The original Changeling was basically written unironically from the position that you can't trust anybody over thirty because having to have a real job has killed their capacity for love and imagination.

Honestly, though, the C20 version managed to fix the game up pretty good as far as all that went.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It also ran into some problems elsewhere - identification of any kind of science with the evil forces of anti-imagination, in a lot of its books. Also a lot of creepy sex stuff for a game in which the average PC was under 18, but I think that was more on the fact that the writers usually forgot the average PC was under 18.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

It also ran into some problems elsewhere - identification of any kind of science with the evil forces of anti-imagination, in a lot of its books. Also a lot of creepy sex stuff for a game in which the average PC was under 18, but I think that was more on the fact that the writers usually forgot the average PC was under 18.

I'm not sure that the creepy sex stuff ever actually materialized, yeah; there was just a sexy splat and a lot of very young characters, but I'm pretty sure satyr kids are supposed to be like any other kid.

Changeling had some really weird problems where changelings basically can't survive into their thirties, so all changelings are young and most are very young, but the setting never really acknowledges that and has evil middle-aged Dukes all over the place rather than having the average freehold be Lord of the Flies with magic, which is what the mechanics suggest it should be.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not sure that the creepy sex stuff ever actually materialized, yeah; there was just a sexy splat and a lot of very young characters, but I'm pretty sure satyr kids are supposed to be like any other kid.

Changeling had some really weird problems where changelings basically can't survive into their thirties, so all changelings are young and most are very young, but the setting never really acknowledges that and has evil middle-aged Dukes all over the place rather than having the average freehold be Lord of the Flies with magic, which is what the mechanics suggest it should be.

I was actually thinking about the merfolk...but yeah, by and large, the creepy sex stuff was just always on the verge of materializing but never quite getting there.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

It's Holden. One thing is that if Holden says the sky is blue you should glance towards a window to check, the other is that he's been on an angry string of very serious accusations against OPP ever since he was fired from working on Exalted. It should come as no surprise he's caught a ban on the OPP forums when he gives off the impression of only being a lawyer short of trying to take them to court.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 2, 2018

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LatwPIAT posted:

It's Holden. One thing is that if Holden says the sky is blue you should glance towards a window to check, the other is that he's been on an angry string of very serious accusations against OPP ever since he was fired from working on Exalted. It should come as no surprise he's caught a ban on the OPP forums when he seems to be only a lawyer short of trying to take them to court.

Also note how he makes every attempt at making any OPP/TTRPG shitstorm about himself.

gently caress the other people getting screwed, it's about me!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also Changeling had issues like a facile and dull social class system, really dodgy interpretations of non-European myths, an overtly restrictive and unbalanced magic system, a general demonization of psychology, sloppy and unclear mechanics, and just some really, really bad writing in some of the supplements (see also: Shadow Court).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

moths posted:

I kind of get what MRH is trying to say but ugh that's some ivory tower thinking.

Maybe the optics of letting Nazis beat you up plays better for an audience, but maybe we're all better off in a society where if you heil poo poo you get hit.

I can appreciate the arguments both for and against punching Nazis, but the idea that people will turn against white supremacy if you are the victim of white supremacist violence is just stupid. Cops kill black people and go free. Nazis ram protesters with cars and the President talks about how both sides need to calm down. A majority of Americans in the 70s blamed the protesters for getting shot at Kent State. If you are the victim of Nazi violence, many of the people who have been saying that it's never okay to punch Nazis because violence is always wrong will find a way to blame you for the violence you suffered.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Re: Holden, I really should just screen shot that mealy mouthed enabling BS post he made on RPG.net. That way we can just link it whenever he opens his craw about whatever the issue du jour is, remember what a shitbird he is, and move on to dealing with the actual issue.

Speaking of, in addition to the points made up thread about MLK Jr. telling people off about rioters, Gandhi himself supported the war against the Third Reich because he recognized the difference. Namely, that non-violent tactics worked against the British because it exposed the lies they had told themselves and others about their benevolent and rational governance. The British were shamed because the gap between what they were supposed to be about and what they actually were was so obvious and massive. The Germans, on the other hand, were totally up front about wanting to behave monstrously. On that at least there was no hypocrisy to shove in their faces. It's pretty impressive how thoroughly Rein-Hegen misses the forest for the trees on that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Nazi asswipes keep running over people with cars and committing murder but no one has the stones to do it with them other than posturing on the internet (this post included)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

A majority of Americans in the 70s blamed the protesters for getting shot at Kent State.

I can attest that I knew Kent residents in the 90s who still blamed them.

(Even though two out of the four students killed were just trying to get from class to class, but details are hard.)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Re: Holden, I really should just screen shot that mealy mouthed enabling BS post he made on RPG.net. That way we can just link it whenever he opens his craw about whatever the issue du jour is, remember what a shitbird he is, and move on to dealing with the actual issue.

Can you link? I'm not sure if I'm familiar with the specifics of this BS.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Speaking of, in addition to the points made up thread about MLK Jr. telling people off about rioters, Gandhi himself supported the war against the Third Reich because he recognized the difference. Namely, that non-violent tactics worked against the British because it exposed the lies they had told themselves and others about their benevolent and rational governance. The British were shamed because the gap between what they were supposed to be about and what they actually were was so obvious and massive. The Germans, on the other hand, were totally up front about wanting to behave monstrously. On that at least there was no hypocrisy to shove in their faces. It's pretty impressive how thoroughly Rein-Hegen misses the forest for the trees on that.

Gandhi's own peaceful resistance movement coexisted with several violent resistance movements. The British repeatedly demanded that he condemn the latter, and he repeatedly refused to do so. He was a pacifist as a tactical choice, because he felt it had the best chances of success given the context, and while he wanted everyone to fight with his own pacifist tactics, he recognized that not everyone had the courage to do that and it was most important that those who were able should resist in any way they could.

But the western understanding of the man has been completely overshadowed by an ersatz version of him shown in the Ben Kingsley movie.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

JackMann posted:

Can you link? I'm not sure if I'm familiar with the specifics of this BS.
This one here.

I should state for the record that it's followed pretty closely by the Green Ronin people, specifically Lindroos, doing the same poo poo in a slightly different and not immediately obvious way that becomes clear only with the larger context of how they responded elsewhere to the Suleiman issue.

EDIT: For that context, it more or less starts here and runs for several pages if you weren't here for that poo poo storm the first time it came around.

Also someone should ask GR how that timeline is coming.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 2, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Falstaff posted:

Gandhi's own peaceful resistance movement coexisted with several violent resistance movements. The British repeatedly demanded that he condemn the latter, and he repeatedly refused to do so. He was a pacifist as a tactical choice, because he felt it had the best chances of success given the context, and while he wanted everyone to fight with his own pacifist tactics, he recognized that not everyone had the courage to do that and it was most important that those who were able should resist in any way they could.

But the western understanding of the man has been completely overshadowed by an ersatz version of him shown in the Ben Kingsley movie.

The British knew that if a serious insurrection like the Sepoy Rebellion happened again they would have no way to destroy it since they were just recovering from the industrial onslaught from WW2, and it would be even more dangerous if the two superpowers USA and USSR intervened. It was the threat of the sword and not the dove that won India's freedom.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

The British knew that if a serious insurrection like the Sepoy Rebellion happened again they would have no way to destroy it since they were just recovering from the industrial onslaught from WW2, and it would be even more dangerous if the two superpowers USA and USSR intervened. It was the threat of the sword and not the dove that won India's freedom.

Honestly, it's probably true that the establishment would've told MLK to gently caress off too, if they weren't scared shitless of militants like Malcolm X and the fact that King presented a less violent alternative.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I don't think it was an either/or thing. Gandhi was the good cop (who gave the British cover for an "honourable" exit) to the bad cop of figures like Barin Ghosh or Bagat Singh. But I agree it wasn't as simple as a lot of people think.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i mean don't forget that once king got the poor people's march going the government killed him, so they ain't all that afraid of backlash

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This one here.

I should state for the record that it's followed pretty closely by the Green Ronin people, specifically Lindroos, doing the same poo poo in a slightly different and not immediately obvious way that becomes clear only with the larger context of how they responded elsewhere to the Suleiman issue.

EDIT: For that context, it more or less starts here and runs for several pages if you weren't here for that poo poo storm the first time it came around.

Also someone should ask GR how that timeline is coming.

I believe last I heard, the owners still hadn't met for a "summit", their words.

So they spent all of December doing poo poo-all, I guess?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

So they spent all of December doing poo poo-all, I guess?

Hell, same.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

Actually, now I think about it...that W20 book also includes a transphobic thing where apparently werewolves just can't get gender reassignment surgery and can never have anything but their birth genitals.

Oh yeah, definitely put in by Onyx Path and not White Wolf. Onyx Path, comma, whose second in command is a trans woman who openly outed herself to the entire fanbase.

gently caress this thoughtless industry in its loving feeding tube.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

Like anyone in the industry can afford healthcare.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

Like anyone in the industry can afford healthcare.

Point.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

It's worse than that.

If you get the surgery it'll get undone the minute you shapeshift. The only way to change permanently is to go out and find a rank 5 spirit who's capable and willing to do it for you. Of course now you can't reproduce and the entire Garou nation hates you for not "loving your gaia-given body". Or you could find a rank 6 spirit who wants an even bigger favor from you and can swap your gender and give you functioning fuckbits.

I never thought I'd miss CCP and their benign neglect but here we are.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Let's also not forget the trans serial killer in the Vampire: the Masquerade prelude based off of a certain TG designer and the company that thought that was okee-doke.

Or the talk about how it's important to make sure historical gender prejudices are included in Dark Ages or certain gender-exclusive splats because of the realness or somesuch.

This isn't exactly an isolated incident.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Meanwhile, Paradox continues to not give a gently caress about Exalted or Scion

:smug:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They have literally no control over Scion. So the quantity of fucks they give over it mean nothing.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

They have literally no control over Scion. So the quantity of fucks they give over it mean nothing.

Well, just so long as it and Exalted are safe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They have 100% control over Exalted, which they own.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They also kind of hate Exalted; Swedracula blames it for the end of oWoD, according to rumor.

Which means that they won't be making one of their own in house, so I suppose that's good for Exalted fans as long as they don't get vindictive.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
MRH seems like a lot of middle class western liberals in that he's built what it means to be "left" as frozen in the struggles of the 60s. So to be left means one must be a pacifist and practice non-violent resistance. Its one part internalizing the stereotypes of the left as peaceniks, and one part ideological comfort in that it focuses only on cultural questions and avoids many of the uncomfortable economic leftist issues that a suburban liberal can't so cleanly cut without sacrificing their own creature comforts.

In some ways, I actually think its a good thing the MRHs of the world are shrilly proclaiming this sort of thing. It highlights that the various dissenting voices in our society are pushing back at the watered down mush of leftist thought that's been the democrats, and the continued flogging of the new democrat platform, continuing to cede ground to the Reaganites 30 years after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

It's more that they're frozen in the made up version of the struggles of the 60s. Malcolm X? AIM? The black panthers? Weather underground? Someone learned American History in the south.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 3, 2018

• Locked thread