Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
BotW is great but why don't more people bitch about the loading times? It's usually whiny babies crying about how they can't spam the same weapon over and over again, or how they super miss dungeons in all their tedious and uninspired glory, but let me tell you, those loading times really drag an already slowly paced game down even more.

It gets to the point where I'm like, poo poo do I need to do anything nearby where I'm at before I warp across the world and back to cash in my korok seeds?

I guess it's a small price for just how much it loads are once but now I'm curious as to how much of my in game time (70 hours currently) I've spent staring at loading screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I wanted more traps, I feel like EW would have been better if they embraced the "take out large rooms full of enemies in clever ways" concept, and let you set up traps, draw enemies out, go from horror movie victim to horror movie monster as you lure them into your traps...

yeah the best levels in TEW1 are the big Last of Us style levels that you can stealth through, it's v. satisfying

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think the loads are that bad generally, but when I was hunting down the last shrines they were a drag, esp for blessing orbs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rating Twilight Princess lower than 8/10 without fundamentally disliking the Zelda formula is pretty alien to me. On the non-gameplay front, the game has amazing art direction and wildly imaginative setpieces all over the place. Almost every dungeon has a moment where I just look at the room I'm in and go wow. The soundtrack is about average for a Zelda game, which means pretty good. Midna is one of the best characters in a Zelda game (off the top of my head she's beaten by Spirit Tracks Zelda and everybody in Majora's Mask). Becoming a wolf is really cool.

On a gameplay front, it continued the trend started in Wind Waker to make dungeons that are just a series of individual rooms but it did a decent job of fooling the player into thinking they weren't by having the critical path loop back into the central room of the dungeon multiple times. The combat is probably the best incarnation of 3D Zelda combat to date. Like, ultimately it's a sort of a less-good clone of OoT with a gimmick stapled on, but there was a long period where every Zelda was that. I actually can't think of a reason why someone would rate TP more than one point lower than Wind Waker because they're practically the same game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also, Phantom Hourglass sucks but that's because the gimmick it tacked onto the OoT clone was a laborious, unfun chore of a dungeon that you have to go back to every five minutes. Spirit Tracks was surprisingly good though, way better than Phantom Hourglass

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Chat thread, which desk mic should I get if I just want it for Discord when I'm playing games that I don't want to wear headphones for but still wanna chat?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

cheetah7071 posted:

Rating Twilight Princess lower than 8/10 without fundamentally disliking the Zelda formula is pretty alien to me. On the non-gameplay front, the game has amazing art direction and wildly imaginative setpieces all over the place. Almost every dungeon has a moment where I just look at the room I'm in and go wow. The soundtrack is about average for a Zelda game, which means pretty good. Midna is one of the best characters in a Zelda game (off the top of my head she's beaten by Spirit Tracks Zelda and everybody in Majora's Mask). Becoming a wolf is really cool.

On a gameplay front, it continued the trend started in Wind Waker to make dungeons that are just a series of individual rooms but it did a decent job of fooling the player into thinking they weren't by having the critical path loop back into the central room of the dungeon multiple times. The combat is probably the best incarnation of 3D Zelda combat to date. Like, ultimately it's a sort of a less-good clone of OoT with a gimmick stapled on, but there was a long period where every Zelda was that. I actually can't think of a reason why someone would rate TP more than one point lower than Wind Waker because they're practically the same game.

Can't be a wolf all the time 2/10

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

Also, Phantom Hourglass sucks but that's because the gimmick it tacked onto the OoT clone was a laborious, unfun chore of a dungeon that you have to go back to every five minutes. Spirit Tracks was surprisingly good though, way better than Phantom Hourglass
I can take or leave your TP defense but hard disagree on this. The overworld in Spirit Tracks is far greater issue than the backtracking in PT; the latter isn't even that much of a labor because getting through it gets easier and easier as the game progresses and you get more items. Nothing ever saves you from the ST overworld.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

This bizarro world to me because Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda game I've ever genuinely hated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Now that I've actually played through Twilight Princess (I bounced off it when it first came out, for some reason), I think my only real issue with it is with the combat. Yeah, it has really solid mechanics and cool sword skills, but Nintendo made the fundamental error of making the special sword skills optional. In true Nintendo fashion, they're hesitant to design things that would be extra hard without optional abilities, so none of the fights can really take full advantage of Link's expanded sword moves. It's a real shame, because a lot of them are really cool and I'd have loved some more involved duels.

The game has a ton of great, large-scale bosses and stuff, though, and the dungeons were extremely satisfying. I think I still like Wind Waker more, but it comes down to the atmosphere, I think. I have a lot more fun sailing the Great Sea than I do riding around Hyrule Field. But drat do I wish Wind Waker had as many dungeons, and as many good dungeons, as Twilight Princess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i thought the dungeons in Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were p. good

certainly a step up from Minish Cap which to me was just... not very good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't even remember the dungeons in Spirit Tracks, just driving the train around and around and around and around.....

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Everything in the DS Zeldas feels like a bad bootleg game to me, they're both loving awful.

The only other Nintendo game I think approaches that level of just nothingness and wasn't made by Artoon is New Super Mario Bros. 2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The train kinda sucks but I liked enough other things about the game (it still has the best incarnation of Zelda) and the movement didn't particularly piss me off

I'm not really trying to save it's reputation though, it's near the bottom of Zelda games. Surprisingly good and better than PH are as far as I'll go

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i appreciate that phantom hourglass wastes no time in immediately wasting tetra as a character for the second time

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Phantom Hourglass is not a good game but I'd call it inoffensive in the end. Spirit Tracks remains to this day the only Zelda game I've hated playing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nate RFB posted:

Umineko & Ace Attorney basically ruined Danganronpa for me with regards murder mystery VNs. I played the first two games and couldn't help but feel super ambivalent towards them.

You should play more detective stuff, maybe even non-Vn stuff. Enjoy Sherlock Crimes and Punishments it owns

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We should probably begin discussing February's GOTM right now because I think this is going to be contentious:

Bayonetta 1 or Bayonetta 2?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Umineko has a good first half, a bad second half, and an ending that retroactively ruins the entire story for me. Danganronpa, for all its flaws, is way better imo.

I probably should play some of the western murder mystery games, I bet I'd love the good ones.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Outside of Crime and Punishments I don't even know what the good western murder mystery games would be, just a million point n click adventure games based on Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Actually, Telltale made a sort of Ace Attorney ripoff back in the day: Law and Order Legacies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpzRqjn3KLM

Sadly, they lost the license and it got delisted. You can find physical copies cheap though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Murdered: Soul Suspect was okay I guess.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I've yet to find a non Ace Attorney murder mystery game that I thought was truly great. Crimes and Punishment was alright but I had a lot of problems with its presentation and some of the mysteries weren't very good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I get why people wouldn't like the DS games but I found them both fairly charming.

The Colonel posted:

i appreciate that phantom hourglass wastes no time in immediately wasting tetra as a character for the second time

Funnily enough ST does pretty close to the reverse by coming up with a reason for her to always be with you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

Umineko has a good first half, a bad second half, and an ending that retroactively ruins the entire story for me. Danganronpa, for all its flaws, is way better imo.
Every word in this sentence is wrong, except the first 7 words.

E: Also both DR1&2 endings are teeeeeerrible

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you hated the beginning of Umineko you'd probably like the second half and think the ending owned yeah. I'm not sure why you'd keep reading though if you didn't like the beginning, it's really long

DR1's ending was some cool stuff mixed with some stupid stuff. DR2's was just bad. DR3's was incredible, one of the best endings I've ever seen in a video game. The endings for 1 and 2 didn't retroactively subtract from my enjoyment of the leadup, at least.

e: oh I misread your post and thought you said last 7 words

Umineko sucks, I'm not backing down from that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

there's also several law and order games made by a company that did legal simulators and wanted to branch out into videogames. they're insane

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno I kind of agree with him. The atmosphere and sense of mystery and (red) dread in the first half is damned amazing, though the arguably more ambitious second half has some kind weird morals and character beats, a debatable conclusion to the mystery, and somehow even better music than the first half.

I'd like to reread through it all again at some point since my tastes have changed a lot since it first finished. A lot of the stuff about how weird it is to treat real deaths as if they were a puzzle for fun certainly plays way differently to me in retrospect in a post-Serial world.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 2, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I will admit that it took me some time to come around on the Umineko ending but I absolutely think it enhances the work as a whole, recontextualizing the earlier arcs in a far more interesting manner than if it had just been "and then the culprit was caught, The End." Umineko was fascinating to me because it was able to tell a compelling mystery story while also serving as a meta-narrative on the genre itself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh yeah the music in the second half was somehow even better, I'll concede that (though the number one best Umineko song is from the first half). It had some cool moments too, so it's not wholly without merit. The logic puzzle in episode 8 ruled too even though I'd generally rate episode 8 somewhere around dumpster fire.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only thing I kind of dislike about Umineko 5-8 is that if you were reading them as each chapter got translated, EP5 ends on such a supremely high note and EP6 is a really weird follow-up and you had months and months in between to wonder wtf. I definitely had a lot of mixed feelings about it. Luckily EP7 swooped in to right the ship and like the rest EP6 makes a lot more sense for why it does the things it does in retrospection.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I will admit that it took me some time to come around on the Umineko ending but I absolutely think it enhances the work as a whole, recontextualizing the earlier arcs in a far more interesting manner than if it had just been "and then the culprit was caught, The End." Umineko was fascinating to me because it was able to tell a compelling mystery story while also serving as a meta-narrative on the genre itself.

Gonna just spoiler text this instead of dancing around what exactly made it suck. The "moral" of the first half, such as it is, is that reading a murder mystery without trying to solve it is reading it wrong. They're meant to be solved. Then in the second half he comes up with a completely unguessable solution which is also dumb as hell, does a complete tone shift away from the murder mystery towards the weird meta-narrative (which was always sorta cool but wasn't why I liked the first half so much) and, in episode 8, shits all over everybody who took the first half's morals to heart and cared even a little bit about solving the mystery. Also, Ange is the worst and everything about her life in 1998 or whatever the gently caress year it was made me want to just stop reading

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Was there any merit to those rumors of Ryu07's friend passing away changing the direction of the story? I remember that idea being passed around a lot at the time a few years ago but well you know how the internet and rumors go.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

That dungeon is my favorite zelda dungeon ever

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

Gonna just spoiler text this instead of dancing around what exactly made it suck. The "moral" of the first half, such as it is, is that reading a murder mystery without trying to solve it is reading it wrong. They're meant to be solved. Then in the second half he comes up with a completely unguessable solution which is also dumb as hell, does a complete tone shift away from the murder mystery towards the weird meta-narrative (which was always sorta cool but wasn't why I liked the first half so much) and, in episode 8, shits all over everybody who took the first half's morals to heart and cared even a little bit about solving the mystery. Also, Ange is the worst and everything about her life in 1998 or whatever the gently caress year it was made me want to just stop reading
It wasn't unguessable, if it's the main twists that I'm thinking of. People had been talking about that twist since the very first EP; it just wasn't spelled out until EP6 and then obviously EP7. The "trick" of Umineko was that to a certain extent all of the clues were laid bare if you were paying attention by EP4. The subsequent EPs therefore dealt with more how the mystery, now that it had been solved, affected the survivors and how they might or should lead their lives afterwards. As well as to ask what was really important to have answered in the first place. For Ange, is it it meaningful to her 1998 life to know whether her parents were murderers or not, when they are already dead? This also functions as a bit of a twist on expectations for people who played Higurashi.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If the mystery was solvable before episode 6 or 7 I didn't see any discussion of it online that wasn't just one possible theory among many many possible theories. I really think Ryukishi did drop the ball on the solvable-mystery front, especially after selling it as one--it might be possible to hypothesize the correct solution, but it really wasn't possible to reject other, false answers. I can buy that the tonal shift accomplished something instead of merely being bad writing but it still means that the second half fundamentally isn't the same story I fell in love with and spent hours and hours debating with my friends. And whatever point Ange's stuff was trying to make doesn't save it from being sinfully boring.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
My friend managed to figure out, or at least theorized the main twists by the end of ep 2. The clues are there from the get-go, it's just the story itself also can distract you from that too. Obviously, he didn't have the whys, but he came very close to the how's of those first 2 episodes alone, and the overall thing in general. At the same time, there's importance in the distractions too and the "love" so to speak too, hence the plot lines of ep 5 and 6.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember the motive also being incomprehensible nonsense but I wouldn't swear to that because my memory of that part is more hazy than other stuff

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The scene where the detective gathers everybody in the sitting room and explains exactly what happened in the mystery is super important and I can accept that Ryukishi was trying to argue that it isn't important, but he's wrong and I'm not gonna like the parts where he tries to argue that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i've only seen the umineko anime and i don't remember anything but Happy Halloween for Maria

• Locked thread