Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Are legendary traps worth the increased material cost?

Definitely. It's a flat 5% dmg/impact bonus and an extra perk which can easily be another 20%.

That being said, great rolled epic stuff > decent rolled legendaries of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

What about the legendary launchers? Is the bonus impact worth it? It's in the event store for daily coin this week.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

See I know some people say that impact doesn't matter but when I upgraded my blue launchers up to level 20 they suddenly started chucking smashers around. I've knocked them into pits/off the map.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Doing a category 2 storm mission, 2 people drop out after they were done scavenging. Me and the last guy failed twice at 40 seconds. RIP Fortnite.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yeah finish the mission fuckers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao just got a gold x10 llama

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

See I know some people say that impact doesn't matter but when I upgraded my blue launchers up to level 20 they suddenly started chucking smashers around. I've knocked them into pits/off the map.

Husks have certain impact thresholds. If you shoot a charger a few times without staggering him, the wall launchers will fling them 100% of the time. A double properly leveled wall launcher attack does the trick as well.

Sputnik posted:

What about the legendary launchers? Is the bonus impact worth it? It's in the event store for daily coin this week.

Definitely. If anything for another chance at a -% reload time perk.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Having a 2-3 knockback+impact perks is good because it also help you toss things 2 tiles off cliffs/into pits.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I picked up the $20 pve pack the other night and ended up pretty disappointed. No voice chat on PC so I can't talk to my PS4 friends (works fine in BR...), super confusing progression system that is never really explained and seems easy to gently caress up, and the pay-to-win loot pinatas are just a little too on-the-nose for me. My friends and all flailed around for a couple missions not knowing what was going on or why the game forced us to play with randos when we had less than 4, and then went back to BR. For how tacked on BR is compared to the games original PvE intentions, it's remarkably elegant and simple compared to Save the World.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Bramble posted:

I picked up the $20 pve pack the other night and ended up pretty disappointed. No voice chat on PC so I can't talk to my PS4 friends (works fine in BR...), super confusing progression system that is never really explained and seems easy to gently caress up, and the pay-to-win loot pinatas are just a little too on-the-nose for me. My friends and all flailed around for a couple missions not knowing what was going on or why the game forced us to play with randos when we had less than 4, and then went back to BR. For how tacked on BR is compared to the games original PvE intentions, it's remarkably elegant and simple compared to Save the World.

Save the world is a fun PVE minecraft tower defense game mode that is hamstrung by a bunch of weird systems you usually find in mobile games and is pretty confusing. As for pay-to-win lama system you earn a fair amount of V-bucks now it seems just playing regular to afford those things, as well as the new Event and daily currencies. Also since it is PVE I guess I don't mind that much if someone drops hundreds of dollars on the game and makes my missions easier for me.

Oh also the first zone is entirely too easy and last for way to loving long.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 2, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm having the opposite experience - I'm okay with PvE, but BR... Forget it. I think part of it is doing squads with pubbies, the rest is just me sucking. I need to adjust the controller sensitivity for sure, the few times I actually get to fire back at an enemy it turns into a spaz fest on my end.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Bramble posted:

The tutorial leaves a lot to be desired but the game's not that complicated. Generally you just run missions that are available on the map, often based on the quests you're following. They have specific goals that usually involve building a little base around the objective and killing husks that assault it at the end for 8-10 minutes. There's variations on this like stormshield defense where each player has their own static base to build that they defend a few times per area, or missions like rescue the survivors where you just go rescue as many survivors as you can, but that's it in a nutshell.

Stuff like leveling up heroes and equipment just takes time to get the XP to put into it. The skill tree fills out as you complete maps and the tech research tree fills out over time since research points accumulate on their own. The only weird thing about the game's progression is that your stats are heavily based on your F.O.R.T. squads and the members you put in them, giving you boosts to fortitude, offense, resistance, and tech.

The UI for the homebase screen is kind of janky and they really need to work on a lot of it but it's way more comprehensible than a lot of stuff I've played. I'm kind of glad there's no voice chat since I mostly play with pubbies and everyone being quiet is great.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

The Bramble posted:

PVE has never managed to escape the overall incongruity between the actual gameplay and the supporting systems.

The million-layer cake of menus within menus full of quests within quests, subsystems under sub-subsystems is all there to give you a reason to play, but mostly just dilutes/muddles the experience.

It's kind of had this problem since I first played back in alpha. I'm not surprised that BR feels like a better experience right now because they kind of had a clean slate to work with.

StW is plenty fun for what it is, but is lacking a concerning amount of polish.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

For anyone that wanted to play PvE without randows, theres a private mode for that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tei posted:

For anyone that wanted to play PvE without randows, theres a private mode for that.

I dont think the difficulty scales so it sucks goibg in alone.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Some missions are easier to solo than others. Rescue survivors you can do basically any level. Evacuate the shelter is near impossible without at least a second person. It's the worst since it starts as soon as you launch so if you load slowly or are hoping for late joiners you're at a serious disadvantage.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Evacuate isn't too bad alone if you bring a good soldier or ninja and just obliterate enough husks before they can do significant damage to the shelter.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've lost two missions that I can remember. One was destroy the encampments during the Fornitemares event where everyone in Hexsylvania was doing quests instead of helping find encampments, and the other was two days ago when a level 19 guy joined my level 34 deliver the bomb and started the bomb launch the second the bomb got to the launcher. No time to close up the base or put down traps. I'd have been better alone because I'd have put some defenders down, but the base was getting hit on all four sides immediately. Deliver the Bomb can be pretty brutal.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rexxed posted:

I've lost two missions that I can remember. One was destroy the encampments during the Fornitemares event where everyone in Hexsylvania was doing quests instead of helping find encampments, and the other was two days ago when a level 19 guy joined my level 34 deliver the bomb and started the bomb launch the second the bomb got to the launcher. No time to close up the base or put down traps. I'd have been better alone because I'd have put some defenders down, but the base was getting hit on all four sides immediately. Deliver the Bomb can be pretty brutal.

Oh the encampment and radar buildung levels suuuuuccckkkk when randos just gently caress off

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

You can salvage almost any mission with a few level 20 rocket launchers

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does the outlander bonus to loot only count for the basic wood, brick and steel? Or does that double % chance count for everything you pick up?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Does the outlander bonus to loot only count for the basic wood, brick and steel? Or does that double % chance count for everything you pick up?

It doesn't count for guns that say you picked up 2, that I know.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I picked up this game a few days ago and got to the lvl6 shield defense quest. I got smoked trying it solo. Is the “find help” checkbox a thing that works? I tried a couple times using that and no one joined.

Game is super fun in PVE mode.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

stuxracer posted:

I picked up this game a few days ago and got to the lvl6 shield defense quest. I got smoked trying it solo. Is the “find help” checkbox a thing that works? I tried a couple times using that and no one joined.

Just remember to take everything Seditiar says as gospel and you'll have a much better time.

Except for him saying Auto Snipers are garbage. My autosniper is a ridiculously versatile propane can/lobber/mist monster killer.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

stuxracer posted:

To my knowledge it just adds you to the list of open games people choosing "play with others" can join, so it depends who's doing that as opposed to picking a specific quest. You may have to resort to asking global chat to help.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

MikeSevigny posted:

To my knowledge it just adds you to the list of open games people choosing "play with others" can join, so it depends who's doing that as opposed to picking a specific quest. You may have to resort to asking global chat to help.

Yeah this is it afaik. And the further along you get, the fewer people join via that option. They need to give Play With Others a serious loot boost, or even better yet: remove it and get rid of the poo poo partying up system. Games shouldn't "lock" after 5-10 minutes, nor should you get kicked out of the lobby into the map after 2 minutes even though you're alone. I feel like especially the "lock" system fucks over too many people. I've had days where 3 people in my friends list were in Repair the Shelter, all alone, all in a different map yet it was the same one.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I'm just gonna claim that it's virtually impossible to lose even later on when at least two people work together and communicate and know what the gently caress they're doing. I've lost a hand full of times and all but one of those were things where the other group members didn't help build a fort and/or traps and I was expected to carry as a Constructor at or above level.

On the other hand a lot of missions are fairly pleasant with the other group members building their own kill boxes or contributing materials to me building whatever it is that I'm building. After all having a solid defense is in everybody's best interest.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Ok thanks for the info. I will ask in general chat next time.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

stuxracer posted:

Ok thanks for the info. I will ask in general chat next time.

Are you using defenders? A lot of people poo poo on them but when it comes to storn defense missions I find defenders quite helpful. Just put them on a corner at the end of a kill hall and they can finish off anything that makes it through while you focus on other things.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Are you using defenders? A lot of people poo poo on them but when it comes to storn defense missions I find defenders quite helpful. Just put them on a corner at the end of a kill hall and they can finish off anything that makes it through while you focus on other things.

I dropped a level 20 epic melee down on a level 40 mission last night because I was bored and he was loving up some husks, including huskys.

Seemed like he was doing more damage with melee than I was.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah I soloed all the storm shield missions in the first two maps by setting up defender posts everywhere, plopping out defenders as I could (they patched it a few months ago so they kept weapons / ammo loadouts which is something at least) and just building a bunch of death tunnels. Even managed to survive a wave from a direction i didn't think stuff could spawn from by just emptying a half dozen rocket launchers into a neverending mass of husks.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Fuckin' hilarious. My friend who I thought was a terminal poopsocker or something kept giving me stacks of materials for traps if I asked.

I finally asked him how the hell he got so many.

He said his Storm Shield storage glitched and had over 300 stacks of stuff, including things that aren't even in the game.

He gave me a couple

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

There where a dupe bug around (maybe many) and some people abused it.

What they did is delete most materials, and trade the best weapons and traps, creating large stacks of these traps and weapons. They played this way for a long time, and is a different game than most of us play, when you want to see what other people have, and get them craft the best rolls of the best weapons and you can spam amazing traps like they cost nothing.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

And I thought my secret of "just do destroy encampents and destroy all the encampments" was pretty good.

My backpack of 135 items is terminally full though, and 300 stacks of stuff isn't too impressive in that context.

zegs
Aug 21, 2008

Too zegs to live
Too zegs to die
Too zegsy for this shirt
Too zegs to exist
So I was just doing a quest so dropped into a random game, two young squeekers. They ask me to help them with a Stormshield mission afterwards and they were both pretty low so I thought gently caress it free Hero XP.

Immediately things look dubious when they start asking to "see what cool guns you have" and set up a 3 room "viewing" box with a window between us. I drop one firework on the ground and they're getting frustrated so I'm sure they're up to something.

I thought gently caress it and dropped about 6 low durability legendaries I don't use hoping to vacuum them up before they did... but because I'm tired I didn't expect what they did - they quickly kicked me and I heard them cackling before they removed me from the xbox private party also.

Enjoy your guns kids.

e: I messaged the party leader and said I reported him. He's gone offline so hopefully the fuckers got the heebies.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Most of these theft stories sound like more effort on the thieves' parts than just farming the mats themselves.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

It's mostly the influx of BR players who want to coast/leech to as high level possible as fast as possible for max v-coins rewards for BR skins.

Some even go further and demand a scar (Siegebreaker) because they think that's literally the only viable weapon. :laffo:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is possible to setup a shield defense base like your personal sex dungeon and then invite these “traders”

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think the starting spawn point is in the same spot when the shield isn't active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Yeah it's always the same. In fact, you can block the main spawn and teleport everyone (including yourself) to a random position outside of your shield. It's a neat way to discover your entire base without having to beat level 10. It also allows you to preemptively remove all objects before you start your defense, making it easier and faster to quickly get a kill tunnel up on a spot you couldn't reach before.

• Locked thread