Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

If the mystery was solvable before episode 6 or 7 I didn't see any discussion of it online that wasn't just one possible theory among many many possible theories. I really think Ryukishi did drop the ball on the solvable-mystery front, especially after selling it as one--it might be possible to hypothesize the correct solution, but it really wasn't possible to reject other, false answers. I can buy that the tonal shift accomplished something instead of merely being bad writing but it still means that the second half fundamentally isn't the same story I fell in love with and spent hours and hours debating with my friends. And whatever point Ange's stuff was trying to make doesn't save it from being sinfully boring.
Out of curiosity, did you play it when it was complete or EP-by-EP as they got translated? One thing that is definitely unfortunate with Umineko is that the experience was enhanced a lot by being able to read it as it came out and discuss it with lots of people. Now that it's all out there in the open without the months of waiting in between releases that's lost a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Smash Bros Melee getting a 2.5 out of 10 never forget.

(And I don't even think that Melee is like, the best or anything.)

Ugh all you do is push buttons in this videogame wtf!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

cheetah7071 posted:

The scene where the detective gathers everybody in the sitting room and explains exactly what happened in the mystery is super important and I can accept that Ryukishi was trying to argue that it isn't important, but he's wrong and I'm not gonna like the parts where he tries to argue that

He eventually stepped back on that position and clarified it with the manga version of episode 7, since 7 technically was that. He made the manga version more explicit and showed how all the crimes were committed, as well as explicitly revealing the killer since he left it ambiguous in the VN all the way to the end

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Out of curiosity, did you play it when it was complete or EP-by-EP as they got translated? One thing that is definitely unfortunate with Umineko is that the experience was enhanced a lot by being able to read it as it came out and discuss it with lots of people. Now that it's all out there in the open without the months of waiting in between releases that's lost a little bit.

I think I started as episode 2 was just released. I read each new episode obsessively in the 24 hour period following its translation. My entire circle of friends was reading it too, and we discussed it a ton in between chapters. If that's the intended experience, I definitely got it. None of us hit on the true solution ourselves before the game basically just tells it to you in episode 7, and none of us found convincing arguments for it online either (though some people were in fact guessing it iirc).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what's a better murder mystery: who shot mr burns or the episode of king of the hill where debbie is shot

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I started as episode 2 was just released. I read each new episode obsessively in the 24 hour period following its translation. My entire circle of friends was reading it too, and we discussed it a ton in between chapters. If that's the intended experience, I definitely got it. None of us hit on the true solution ourselves before the game basically just tells it to you in episode 7, and none of us found convincing arguments for it online either (though some people were in fact guessing it iirc).
Fair enough. The main points of discussion I had with that game was here in the Umineko thread I made years ago and animesuki where they had the translators themselves posting so basically every avenue got dissected to bits. For a very very brief period of time we even had a little external wiki site with red/blue truths in an attempt to organize what mysteries/murders they corresponded to, haha.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember that wiki I think, that ruled

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
First week back to actual work after two weeks of holiday liminal "eh, you can go home whenever" paradise sure is a drag. I just want to leave at 1:45PM and go home to play videogames.

The only non-gift I bought during the steam sale was They Are Billions and, despite the hilariously bad translation errors and middle school grade aesthetic/art, I think I love it. It just feels so good to build up a megafortress over 6 hours and then play tower defense against 20,000 zombies at once.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For all I'm making GBS threads on Umineko I really did think the first half was truly spectacular at the time; I've run multiple IRC tabletop RPGs using the red-blue mechanic (and been in several run by friends).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been starting my 2018 with the MMO Tree of Savior. It's deeply inspired by Ragnarok Online because it was made by many of the same people. Very simple grindy MMO, which I like, and I like the super small community.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Reading the Binding of Isaac wiki article about pills (trying to figure out what some of the newer ones do). Here’s some fun trivia:

quote:

The "Amnesia" pill is a reference to amnesia, the loss of memory.
The "Bad Gas" pill is a reference to farts.
The "Paralysis" pill is a reference to paralysis, the loss of muscle function for one or more muscles.
The "Pretty Fly" pill is a reference to the phrase "pretty fly".
The "Pheromones" pill is a reference to pheromones, chemicals that trigger social responses in members of the same species.
The "Puberty" pill is a reference to puberty, a process of physical change as a child's body matures into an adult body.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Fuckin' wiki writers, man

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Back in my day video game wikis were just for weird meltdowns about circumcision.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

can people who change their avs keep their old avs as a sig so i know who they are. and also post with the sigs

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

oddium posted:

can people who change their avs keep their old avs as a sig so i know who they are. and also post with the sigs

Just update your bad_posters.xlsx spreadsheet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
wow i'm mad about watch dogs 2. i'd like to do missions that are listed as 1-2 players, except not have any other idiot rear end in a top hat join. you can't disable this (e: short of unplugging your ethernet cable, which is sooooo stupid). tfw you're sneaking into somewhere and some prick just drives a fuckin truck in the front door and everyone starts shooting you

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 2, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

Fair enough. The main points of discussion I had with that game was here in the Umineko thread I made years ago and animesuki where they had the translators themselves posting so basically every avenue got dissected to bits. For a very very brief period of time we even had a little external wiki site with red/blue truths in an attempt to organize what mysteries/murders they corresponded to, haha.
Oh you posted at AnimeSuki too? What was your user name there?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

wow i'm mad about watch dogs 2. i'd like to do missions that are listed as 1-2 players, except not have any other idiot rear end in a top hat join. you can't disable this (e: short of unplugging your ethernet cable, which is sooooo stupid). tfw you're sneaking into somewhere and some prick just drives a fuckin truck in the front door and everyone starts shooting you

You can set Uplay to offline mode and it'll be offline

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

Oh you posted at AnimeSuki too? What was your user name there?
I just mostly lurked animesuki for VN translation/info. For example they had a reservoir of translated Higurashi VN stuff back before MangaGamer entered the picture. My handle was the same as here but I posted like 15 times and not since like 2011. Apparently the last post I made was about some typos for the Umineko EP5 translation lol.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It’s weird seeing people talk about Horizon Zero Dawn getting shafted, it reviewed and sold super well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It’s weird seeing people talk about Horizon Zero Dawn getting shafted, it reviewed and sold super well.

It's only getting shafted in GOTY spots and I hope no one is super mad for realsies about that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Apparently on Amazon it was the highest-selling non-Switch game of 2017

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

That brief window where a bunch of people got name changes really hosed me up

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Happy New Year everybody

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oddium posted:

it's okay, my posts are still not worth reading in 2018.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

It's only getting shafted in GOTY spots and I hope no one is super mad for realsies about that.

Also gamers have an 8 month attention span so anything released before April may as well not exist.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Looper posted:

Happy New Year everybody

Thx u2

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

oddium posted:

what's a better murder mystery: who shot mr burns or the episode of king of the hill where debbie is shot
the latter one cause hank smoked weed in that ep

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I always enjoy learning about unusual games that flew under the radar during the year so I appreciate all the GOTY lists and deliberations but I did get slightly salty when Hollow Knight was quickly dismissed for having "Newgrounds graphics"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Hollow Knight was quickly dismissed for having "Newgrounds graphics"

my instant dismissal of all things Gaming Journalism continues to be vindicated

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

You can set Uplay to offline mode and it'll be offline

oh ok i'll try that. i was mostly doing them to clear them from my menu but now that i've finished a couple, i notice they're repeatable so i'll never be rid of them huh

Expect My Mom posted:

the latter one cause hank smoked weed in that ep

that's some dank kush i tell y'hwhat

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is hollow knight on switch yet

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

There's an interview floating around with the CEO of PUBG (this is a thing) where he says that they want the game on every platform possible but "Sony is very strict about quality" so, as a result, the game is a long way off coming to PS4.

Having bought it on PC based on the hype I have to congratulate Sony on this approach. It is a loving terrible game that plays like something you would randomly download for free on Steam to laugh at how bad it is.

Sony and Nintendo are the dam holding back the absolute tidal wave of utter poo poo games that mobile devs, Steam and now even MS want to drown us in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am looking forward to the uptick in weed + video game streams in 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's plenty of weird half-functional mobile ports on PSN and Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM523jjrvf4

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Is hollow knight on switch yet

“Early 2018” whatever that means

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I always enjoy learning about unusual games that flew under the radar during the year so I appreciate all the GOTY lists and deliberations but I did get slightly salty when Hollow Knight was quickly dismissed for having "Newgrounds graphics"

Must be from the same person who said Earthbound looks like an NES game.

Another game whose art doesn't get enough attention is the Dragon's Trap HD remake where the game is a 1:1 copy of the original but they insert extra frames at a higher frame rate. So it goes from this 8-bit game with 2 frames of animation to this hand drawn cartoon game with like 6 but the timing of everything is pitch perfect to the original. Doing the swaperoo from the original to new graphics was far more impressive than Halo HD.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
pubg is pretty fun imo. very few games have nearly instant action with 99 other players

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
By the time PUBG gets its poo poo together there will probably already be better options on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Before you praise Sony's quality control too highly, remember that Something Awful forums legend TheD (The Demon Rush) has a game on PSN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vr4El4cmI

• Locked thread