Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

It's alright, Finns are used to this by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary

Hiekkakauppias posted:

Lol penalty shots at this stage.

And surprise

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Finns and Canadians can go start their own tournament with NO SHOOTOUTS ALLOWED

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Luukkonen really needs to learn how to close his five hole.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
here lies finland

2018 world juniors participant

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I didn't see any of Finland's games except for the one against the US, but I'm still surprised the Finns are out since their defense is loaded. The forwards didn't do them any favors, I guess.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

lol there’s literally nobody watching this tournament in the stands is there

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

lol there’s literally nobody watching this tournament in the stands is there

It feels like the WJC's luster has well and truly worn off. Tickets cost hundreds of dollars and they keep holding it in and around Canada. It doesn't feel like it used to when it was a small tournament played by kids who were winning for themselves.

There was a time when it was fresh and exciting, now it's just another blip on the calendar that I'm finding it harder and harder to care about.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
It's also miserable weather http://buffalonews.com/2018/01/02/blizzard-warning-posted-for-parts-of-erie-county/

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
That said, I just purchased a ticket package to the Victoria games for next year's tournament

Package includes 14 games

- 2 pre-tournament games featuring Canda
- 10 round-robin games (the not-Canada group)
- 2 quarter-final games (the not-Canada games)

Price was $400 per seat in the corner (I got a pair). I won't be going to all the games as I purchased with the intention of divvying up between me and my hockey pool buddies. Definitely not cheap, but not breaking the bank, either. Works out to like ~$28/game on average.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/RobTheHockeyGuy/status/948311508911497216

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Swiss people are psychic

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That’s a quick penalty on Russia.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeeeeess :ussr:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hahaha, yeah all the major Preds acquisition of late: Johansen and Turris and that is all. Nothing else of note!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:911: beat the Swedes!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A 5% powerplay hahahaha

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I didn't see any of Finland's games except for the one against the US, but I'm still surprised the Finns are out since their defense is loaded. The forwards didn't do them any favors, I guess.

It was a terrible tournament from top to bottom. Coaching had them playing a system that did not work on smaller ice and several key players under-performed.

While Luukkonen was generally fine, he couldn't give the team stops in key situations, Heiskanen just looked gassed and a shadow of himself, Juolevi played on his level only in their final game, Kuokkanen was not the 1C the team hoped and while Tolvanen created chances he was really snakebitten.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

ThinkTank posted:

It feels like the WJC's luster has well and truly worn off. Tickets cost hundreds of dollars and they keep holding it in and around Canada. It doesn't feel like it used to when it was a small tournament played by kids who were winning for themselves.

There was a time when it was fresh and exciting, now it's just another blip on the calendar that I'm finding it harder and harder to care about.

They host it in Canada because Canadians buy tickets. Toronto-Montreal in 2015 had the highest attendance in history. Not sure Vancouver will top it because Victoria is no Montréal, but should still be well attended.

I'd just say Americans don't give a gently caress. I still look forward to the tournament every year and watch pretty much every game (including relegation if available). The tournament is always exciting and full of surprises. So YMMV, I guess

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

thehoodie posted:

They host it in Canada because Canadians buy tickets. Toronto-Montreal in 2015 had the highest attendance in history.

Not even close. It was dramatically outperformed by the WJCs just three year prior in Alberta in both total and average attendance as well as Ottawa in 2009. The 2015 and 2017 WJCs held in Toronto/Montreal had brutal attendance issues given the market size. The 2015 rendition managed just 12,212 fans a game, compared to 14,688 in Calgary/Edmonton in 2013 and 14,622 in Ottawa in 2009. It did a bit better than Regina/Saskatoon in 2010 which drew 9,741 fans a game despite a combined population 2/3 the size of Hamilton, ON.

The 2017 WJC was the worst attended Canadian WJC since Halifax in 2003. It averaged 8,596 fans a game, not significantly more than the 7,174 a game that Helsinki managed the year before.

Even Buffalo drew 10,635 fans a game when it last hosted the tournament in 2011. I think it's safe to say that fans have turned off this event in a pretty serious way. You're welcome to still enjoy it, I'm not trying to take away anyone's fun. It's just no secret that the WJC are falling in popularity and probably peaked around 2009/10.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my general impression is that no one really gives a poo poo about the tournament except for Canada and a handful of people from other countries who are big hockey fans/prospect watchers

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

my general impression is that no one really gives a poo poo about the tournament except for Canada and a handful of people from other countries who are big hockey fans/prospect watchers

You are correct, and even us Canadians are getting tired of it now that you're forced to buy $700-1500 ticket packages just to go to the two team Canada games you wanted to see.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

ThinkTank posted:

Not even close. It was dramatically outperformed by the WJCs just three year prior in Alberta in both total and average attendance as well as Ottawa in 2009. The 2015 and 2017 WJCs held in Toronto/Montreal had brutal attendance issues given the market size. The 2015 rendition managed just 12,212 fans a game, compared to 14,688 in Calgary/Edmonton in 2013 and 14,622 in Ottawa in 2009. It did a bit better than Regina/Saskatoon in 2010 which drew 9,741 fans a game despite a combined population 2/3 the size of Hamilton, ON.

The 2017 WJC was the worst attended Canadian WJC since Halifax in 2003. It averaged 8,596 fans a game, not significantly more than the 7,174 a game that Helsinki managed the year before.

Even Buffalo drew 10,635 fans a game when it last hosted the tournament in 2011. I think it's safe to say that fans have turned off this event in a pretty serious way. You're welcome to still enjoy it, I'm not trying to take away anyone's fun. It's just no secret that the WJC are falling in popularity and probably peaked around 2009/10.

Where's your data coming from? I'd love to see the whole list.

I'm surprised Halifax's attendance was so low, but we only have a 10k seat arena, which was filled for Canada's games and likely only 10% full for non-Canada games.

Anyway, it does indeed seem this tournament's popularity has long since peaked. I'm not really sure why the surge in popularity to begin with though? Was it all TSN's marketing of the tournament? The increase in it being held here in North America? Perhaps the increased awareness of young hockey prospects, beginning with Sidney Crosby? Then I guess it's inevitable that things will get stale, and nothing could really be done to try to prevent that. They just sucked all they could out of it while it was hot.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 4, 2018

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I can say for Finland that interest in the WJC skyrocketed after the 2014 gold, and especially the 2016 tournament when it finally returned to FTA channels (also home tournament); WJC had been on subscription channels since 2009. The tournament used to be a curiosity watched or even followed by few people except for dedicated hockey fans.

The men's IIHF tournament is still more popular though.

Zat fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 4, 2018

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Where's your data coming from? I'd love to see the whole list.

Wikipedia lists attendance for each of the tournaments in its side bar. You can just scroll back through them fairly easily

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm surprised Halifax's attendance was so low, but we only have a 10k seat arena, which was filled for Canada's games and likely only 10% full for non-Canada games.

It was also before the tournament really took off in popularity. I think that WJC was the first that really drew the national consciousness, and then the next few were where it became appointment viewing. The first one I remember following closely was 2004 when Fleury shot the puck into his own net off his defender's head to give USA the gold medal.

I agree that it has gone stale. Everything has a shelf life ultimately, and with it held in and around Southern Ontario each of the past few years it doesn't feel like a novel event anymore. I certainly don't feel inclined to blow hundreds of dollars on tickets to something that has been accessible by car to me four times in the last eight years.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 4, 2018

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like the 2002 Olympic gold medal followed by the lock out in 2005 really jump started the popularity in Canada. Tsn was regularly showing poker and people in Canada wanted to watch hockey. And the lockout junior teams were great.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
The first year I paid any attention to the Juniors was 2005 - in part because it was in Grand Forks and I live in Winnipeg. We bought games for the playoffs not knowing who we'd see. Even as a person with no real knowledge of hockey prospects I still knew the name Crosby. Also that team Canada roster was ridiculous.

The best memory I have is going to a team USA game where the large Canadian crowd started a "Belarus" chant to remind them of their recent 5-3 loss. It was incredibly enjoyable.

In truth I don't think anyone in Canada knows/cares who half the players are, especially in a year like this. I watch out of interest to see Canucks prospects and to cheer on team Sweden because they usually have all the Canucks prospects, but that's about it.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

ThinkTank posted:

Er, yeah, my bad - not sure how I misinterpreted the numbers so poorly.

I still maintain that the tournament is fine from a fan perspective. I think you might be right about in-person attendance - likely a symptom of high prices and terrible ticket allocation policies. But the other side of the story is television ratings, which seem to consistently increase. TV numbers seem fairly consistent across years, if not increasing on a yearly basis (at least when held in North American time - and comparatively is strong in Europe as well):

2014 - Held in Sweden, drew 14.5m Canadian views over the tournament, and over 1 million for the final - "the largest ever for a non-Canadian game played outside of North America [to date]"

2015 - in Canada, 13.4m unique Canadian viewers and 9.7m peak/7.1m average in the finals.

2016 - in Finland, 15.3m unique Canadian viewers, and 2.17m viewers for the finals.

2017 - 17.2m unique Canadian viewers, and 4.2m for the final. Also the most streamed event in TSN's history - which might account for the loss of finals viewers from 2015, but impossible to know.

Anyway, all this mostly to convince myself that the tournament is fine and not going anywhere. I will continue to enjoy it, as I do, and assume that many others are/will as well!

Happy hockey!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There's like 100 people watching Denmark eliminate Belarus right now (barring a 3rd period comeback), it's pretty sad.

I'd have gone to cheer on Belarus and then turn on them and cheer Denmark after that ugly hit.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Wippersnapper posted:

In truth I don't think anyone in Canada knows/cares who half the players are, especially in a year like this. I watch out of interest to see Canucks prospects and to cheer on team Sweden because they usually have all the Canucks prospects, but that's about it.

I dunno. This is anecdotal but virtually every Canadian I am friends with talks about the tournament on twitter/facebook and they're not all what I'd consider hockey super fans or anything.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Getting a bit nervous for the game vs USA, hope the young Swedes can raise their level from the quarter final.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno. This is anecdotal but virtually every Canadian I am friends with talks about the tournament on twitter/facebook and they're not all what I'd consider hockey super fans or anything.

As someone with 90% of facebook friends who are Canadian, maybe only 15% are talking about the tournament. It’s on in every single bar here and everyone with the TSN app gets the scores pushed after the game. It’s kind of fun being in a public place and seeing random people pulling out their phone and getting pumped about seeing the score notification.

also pretty disappointed I will be flying back to the US during the games tonight :(

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
lmao at those dives by Tkachuk, this US team has a lot of shitheads it kind of rules. He and Bellows are going to be big time cunts in the NHL

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The US is getting so frustrated. 1 more Swede goal and we might get a complete meltdown.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

suck it America :siren:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Wohooo drat right, go Sweden!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:fork:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
lol @ usa