Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Neofelis posted:

Alright, time for some more Finnish dishes. :finland:

Grave salmon, served with overly sweetened potato box

I’m calling this one. I have some, uhhh, ideas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

kafziel posted:

It feels like a cheat to suggest Welsh Rabbit.

Cheese on toast

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BastardAus posted:

Cheese on toast

goddamn it
spoiler the fuckin thing

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
It is goddamn Welsh Rarebit anyway!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's what they want you to think, the real poo poo was a late night hallucinogenic. Well documented in newspapers of the time. The man just said it was bread and cheese to throw kids off the trail.

Edit: Serious question, would it even be legal to make that a drug and booze infused dish?

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Tiger Skin Bell-Pepper

I could give this one a go so that I'm not just dumping dishes in.

Merkin Muffley posted:

I’m calling this one. I have some, uhhh, ideas...

Just to let you know, these aren't necessarily always paired together, I just thought it'd be nice since neither is a full dish by itself. That said, they are often found at the same time in a larger selection of dishes so it's not any sort of sacrilege to eat them together.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welsh Rarebit certainly has a different flavor profile than this. But this premise should work as a "quick" midnight snack that honors the spirit of "late night food that will trip you up". "Quick" so long as everything was prepared in advance.

A buttered/toasted slice of cannabis-infused brioche topped with a desert-bourbon infused cream-cheese, honey, and nuts.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

RandomPauI posted:

That's what they want you to think, the real poo poo was a late night hallucinogenic. Well documented in newspapers of the time. The man just said it was bread and cheese to throw kids off the trail.

Edit: Serious question, would it even be legal to make that a drug and booze infused dish?

... yes?

Drugs less so, depending on their legality (and dosing unsuspecting people with food is a bullshit move that merits beatings) but booze is everywhere in cooking.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry for the delays all. It's been a crazy set of holidays.

Thanks bob dobbs is dead for keeping the dream alive! Also a fine looking cocktail from chitoryu12.

OP has been fully updated, and in the spirit of cliche New Year's diets, I am claiming Green Broth and Bunny Chow.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I feel a need to drink to forget my chess pie redeem myself, so I'll claim a few of those cocktails - Charles Dickens' Own Punch, Between the Sheets, and Prairie Fire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I will also be doing my own version of a Prairie Fire, and I have my own potentially dangerous spin on it: high proof grain alcohol, hot sauce, and strawberry soda water.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Bubble and Squeak is delayed until the weekend because I needed some non-standard stuff for my gimmick and Amazon Logistics is utter poo poo :kingsley:

I've managed to source it all locally or find alternatives but I doubt I'll have enough time on any given weekday.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm still waiting on the goddamn funeral potatoes :mad: Whoever claimed that poo poo get on it!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm still waiting on the goddamn funeral potatoes :mad: Whoever claimed that poo poo get on it!

I'm looking through the OP and can't find a listing for the entry you completed. Did I miss it? Let me know and I'll put it up there.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I have made no claims, but I would like to make the funeral potatoes, sometime. I won't be home for another week, then I'll throw together something dreadful.

Somebody else take on the funeral potatoes, it's a good name to play with.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Flaccid Trip makes Puppy Chow

By the name, I guessed it was some kind of dessert, probably kibbley-looking, probably with peanut butter and nuts.

It's cold and kind of icy here in central Texas, so I went to the worst place to go in the conditions.

Pictured: a portal to Hell

Once I had my supplies, I was ready.

Not pictured: The peanut butter I initially forgot to grab from the pantry.

Toast nuts. Hazelnuts and almonds are my favorite types of nuts.

Butter up that tray.

Measure cereal, be judged by Ellen DeGeneres

Remove nuts from toaster oven, toss with pre-toasted coconut you bought because it was 20 cents cheaper.

Butter goes in the pot along with creamed honey.

Cook until it forms napalm.

Throw entire bag of marshmallows in....

Coat in honey butter.

Melt and add vanilla...

And peanut butter.

CEREAL.

NUTS.

Combine and pour into pan. Take a blurry photo.

I'm letting it cool, but from what I ate off the spoon after scraping it into the pan, I can confirm that it is loving delicious and awful for you.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Flaccid Trip posted:

By the name, I guessed it was some kind of dessert, probably kibbley-looking, probably with peanut butter and nuts

I'm letting it cool, but from what I ate off the spoon after scraping it into the pan, I can confirm that it is loving delicious and awful for you.

PUT THIS INSIDE ME NOW.

But really puppy chow is chex cereal coated in melted chocolate and peanut butter then coated in powdered sugar

Recipie here

You were close!!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Flaccid Trip posted:

Suddenly, I want to move to Texas. Wow. Please, a detailed report when it has reached sub-molten status.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Flaccid Trip posted:

That looks even better than the real thing. Great job - I'm going to make that as written (more or less).

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Having eaten it at room temp, I can confirm it's deliciousness.

I'm taking part of the pan to work tomorrow just so I don't mow through the whole thin.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Flaccid Trip posted:

By the name, I guessed it was some kind of dessert, probably kibbley-looking, probably with peanut butter and nuts.

It's cold and kind of icy here in central Texas, so I went to the worst place to go in the conditions.

Butter up that tray.

Remove nuts from toaster oven, toss with pre-toasted coconut you bought because it was 20 cents cheaper.

Coat in honey butter.

Melt and add vanilla...

And peanut butter.

CEREAL.

NUTS.

Good call on the peanut butter and cereal! I am impressed good job

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Good post, but anything involving HEB is better than the barren wasteland that is HEB-less North Texas.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Good post, but anything involving HEB is better than the barren wasteland that is HEB-less North Texas.

It's been almost a decade since I moved back north and I still miss Central Market in SA.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flaccid Trip posted:

Butter up that tray.

Coat in honey butter.

Melt and add vanilla...

And peanut butter.

CEREAL.

NUTS.

Would. :randstare: But now I'm wondering if you could also add chocolate chips

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Randaconda posted:

I don't know if it has the same effect since the av change but

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Randaconda posted:

I considered chocolate chips, but decided it might be overkill. It's a pretty versatile recipe, you could do a lot with it.

They were a hit at work. There was only one tiny piece left in my giant Tupperware container at the end of the day.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ok, jam roly-poly
i had eaten pillbugs before but i think that probably it's a visual imitation of roly poly instead of the actual thing, because pillbugs taste awful
silkworm grubs is where it's at

steamer

our ersatz pillbugs

cut the marine bits off

some savory jam, in our case bacon and onion jam

mash it to a finer paste

mashed

begin cook

middle of cooking

finish cook

dish, w/ store bought bread

very salty, the bacon jam + lobster combo. definitely needed the bread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
next, rocky mountain oysters

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
amazing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gently caress it, gonna do two at once
fat gravy
gonna have to wait till i go grocery shopping again tho

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

That looks p great, if not even close. These are jam roly polys

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LunarShadow posted:

That looks p great, if not even close. These are jam roly polys

Where's the insectoid parts?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Plenty of them come included with the jam, of course

Awesome thread, keep it up everyone!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

very salty, the bacon jam + lobster combo.

Well, that was a direction I never would have imagined taking with that. Partly because I already knew what a jam roly-poly is, and partly because I had no idea that savoury jam was even a thing. Also, although I have heard of slaters being called roly polys before, the association doesn't immediately leap to mind.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Very confused Brit here, what the hell made you associate jam roly-poly with seafood? :confused: Jam roly-poly is a desert made of a layer of sponge cake with a layer of jam, rolled up and usually eaten with ice cream or custard.
I feel like I’m missing some key context here as I don’t know what a pillbug is.

e: some googling later and a pillbug is what I would call a woodlouse which is a land crustacean. Pillbugs are a US variant and can be known as roly-polies! Very clever!

Helith fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 4, 2018

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Helith posted:

Very confused Brit here, what the hell made you associate jam roly-poly with seafood? :confused: Jam roly-poly is a desert made of a layer of sponge cake with a layer of jam, rolled up and usually eaten with ice cream or custard.
I feel like I’m missing some key context here as I don’t know what a pillbug is.

e: some googling later and a pillbug is what I would call a woodlouse which is a land crustacean. Pillbugs are a US variant and can be known as roly-polies! Very clever!

In the shot entitled Mashed, you can see the ice cream that goes with the entree.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ok, jam roly-poly

dish, w/ store bought bread

very salty, the bacon jam + lobster combo. definitely needed the bread

Fantastic. I love the lobster tail/roly-poly visual connection. You're doing great work.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Helith posted:

I love watching crustaceans scuttling about, but I really hate eating any of them. Even and especially shrimp. So while I appreciate the ingenuity that went into that post, I'd much prefer the traditional roly poly.

I've had a concept for spotted dick in my head for weeks now, but I can't promise I'll get around to making / posting it any time soon.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm looking through the OP and can't find a listing for the entry you completed. Did I miss it? Let me know and I'll put it up there.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I offer up for the challenge a cultural cornerstone of my terrible state: funeral potatoes.

Doom Rooster posted:

Already suggest and claimed! Execudork and rumble in the bunghole will both be going after it.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh I know that you suggested it, I was just calling you out for complaining when you have not completed anything yourself.

• Locked thread