Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbnEctW23Nc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's incredible

My ranked matches went waaay better this season, got placed into Gold. Thank gently caress.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Thief posted:

@delta: rook might be the best in the game at woodland camo though:

Might save up renown for their cherbourg weapons sets, I love me some WW2-themed stuff.

Also your tomfoolery is rubbing off on me, Thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebg9tIB-vt0

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This game is amazing. I finally have a game to replace CSGO.

Ag0at on uPlay. I also like Trials. Can I get a Discord link? I can't seem to find a working one.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Agoat posted:

This game is amazing. I finally have a game to replace CSGO.

Ag0at on uPlay. I also like Trials. Can I get a Discord link? I can't seem to find a working one.

Hard has left this mortal coil so it can't be edited into the op, however:
https://discord.gg/TYhA2QM

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

dogstile posted:

I'm still pissed i can't just pay whatever the difference is to get the full edition, to be honest.

This also pisses me off. Why aren't we raising arms against Ubisoft for this. It feels abusive to consumers

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

People have complained about it for ages, they don't give a poo poo. If you want to affect change you need to sue them, and good loving luck with that.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Weekly garbo challenge, play 7 rounds as rook and pass the plates around.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IdealFlaws posted:

This also pisses me off. Why aren't we raising arms against Ubisoft for this. It feels abusive to consumers

It's disappointing because the game is really good, and they get eyeballs on it with the starter edition and people just wanna say "hey, Ubi, you're right your game is great can we split the difference" so as a result it feels punitive I think

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

afkmacro posted:

Weekly garbo challenge, play 7 rounds as rook and pass the plates around.

act like you thought everyone just spawned with plates, every round, no matter how many times you play with the same people.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

IdealFlaws posted:

AFAIR, Hard said that this will never be an option and it's a deliberate move by Ubisoft, not just something that they didn't think of. If you want the full game experience from the Starter edition, just fork over the cash for R6 credits and buy all the basic operators, as the DLC ones are still prived at 25k renown like for everyone else.
It is around the same amount of cash, sales excluded.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Hard, please add a filter in the store. It should be a large check box that says "NO STEAM PUNK BULLSHIT."

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Deltasquid posted:

Might save up renown for their cherbourg weapons sets, I love me some WW2-themed stuff.

Also your tomfoolery is rubbing off on me, Thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebg9tIB-vt0

:respek:

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Hard, please add a filter in the store. It should be a large check box that says "NO STEAM PUNK BULLSHIT."

tbf that was the tech of the time when thatcher joined

blackbeard's hat w/pulse's stache and heartbeat fetish got me browsing bundles like

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

So i picked this game up before christmas and I'm enjoying it a fair bit.
However, unfortunately the person that convinced me to buy it had his PC die on christmas day. Because of that, I've mostly been soloing casual cause i haven't unlocked ranked, and I've noticed that the chat is an absolute cesspool, every other competitive online game I've played as an option to disable all chat and I'm really missing it here.
I also think the game is a bit weird in that its structured like a free to play game like League of Legends or Battlerite but it has an entry fee and then DLC on top of that which i find a bit distasteful.
Other than that it's pretty fair and im really into it which is surprising since i havent really played a shooter i enjoyed in years.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The renown cost for unlocking original operators is really negligible, IMO.
You'll get a good starting pool of operators from doing Situations that give you 200x3x10 renown for completing the sub-objectives mission (plus about 100 renown for every time you complete a situation).
After that it takes only a couple of matches to unlock any additional operators, which is basically how long it takes to figure out how the previous operator that you unlocked plays.
The weekly and daily challenges speed that up even more.

That all goes out the window if you bought the Starter Edition though, cause if you did then you just got royally screwed.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

yeah i dont disagree that its pretty easy to unlock enough dudes to play and have fun i just feel like if you buy a game for £20 or whatever you should get the basic characters, then maybe charging for additional ones or unlocks and skins can be ok.
I'm not a fan of locking things behind a grind with a microtransaction "shortcut" in general but it at least feels a little justified in a free to play game, this feels a bit exploitative.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On the plus side buck is fun enough that I don't feel pressured unless someone else takes buck from me.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
The other good thing is that the original operators are pretty much all still viable and useful. Sure, a few of the DLC operators (Hibana, Valkyrie, Ela for example) are very strong but you can do just fine without them. Picking up a couple operators on each side that aren't on the high end of tactical importance (Sledge, Ash, Rook, Jager) is good for learning the maps until you can utilize more complicated operators effectively. Or you can do what I did and die first as Thermite/Smoke all the time.

It's still grindy as heck for the DLC operators/camo/skins and the starter edition is the worst, but the way it handles the original operators is okay.

Also

Kullik posted:

However, unfortunately the person that convinced me to buy it had his PC die on christmas day. Because of that, I've mostly been soloing casual cause i haven't unlocked ranked, and I've noticed that the chat is an absolute cesspool, every other competitive online game I've played as an option to disable all chat and I'm really missing it here.

Hop in the Discord and play with goons if you haven't done that already. There's a pretty sizable crew of EU players so your ping should be good. Just make sure to say you're new so you can be blamed for everything that goes wrong! (Seriously though, you'll get good advice.)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Kullik posted:

every other competitive online game I've played as an option to disable all chat and I'm really missing it here.

Under Gameplay, there's "HUD Preferences", and you should be able to disable all chat from there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Someone bitched at me for being a cheater because I landed a good 90 degree turn shot kill on a Sledge that smacked the wall in the room I was sitting.

That totally made my day.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Someone bitched at me for being a cheater because I landed a good 90 degree turn shot kill on a Sledge that smacked the wall in the room I was sitting.

That totally made my day.

I had one of those moments on the new map, the guy sat in the same exact position as he killed me on in a previous round so when it was called out I knew what to prefire on:
https://streamable.com/dak3y

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How it feels playing as Lesion:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jack Trades posted:

How it feels playing as Lesion:

Who is Dio in this metaphor? IQ?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Who is Dio in this metaphor? IQ?

Or Thatcher.

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers
had an amazing round recently where a friend and i were in the preparation phase as attackers, and got to experience candid footage of an ally making their drone do a jig around the hostage's head and then the opfor rook trying to destroy the drone but instead blasting the hostage's poor brains all over bedsheets with his hand-cannon.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Kullik posted:

So i picked this game up before christmas and I'm enjoying it a fair bit.
I also think the game is a bit weird in that its structured like a free to play game like League of Legends or Battlerite but it has an entry fee and then DLC on top of that which i find a bit distasteful.
Other than that it's pretty fair and im really into it which is surprising since i havent really played a shooter i enjoyed in years.

Chugging the stairs also has nightly groups. Also never disable chat, you can't rile up the racists that way.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

remember to occasionally enter battle with your favorite shield user for true glory in the cyber arena

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thief posted:

remember to occasionally enter battle with your favorite shield user for true glory in the cyber arena

*arises from the hypogeum, shield flashing with the intensity of a million suns, crowd roaring as my dubstep tunnel music plays*

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

when you in a 5 v 5 custom game with 10 of your drunk friends in mumble and the only one left alive just got this game and has never played Favela before and everyone on your team is yelling at him and the other team is telling him to do the opposite

https://streamable.com/pq6q4

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am proud that our class of 2017 discord siege noobs are turning into good players lately. :unsmith:

Also if nobody objects I will make a new Siege thread since Hard is gone and we have no way of updating the OP.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 4, 2018

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
That'd probably be a good idea then, speaking as a soon-to-be class of 2018 noob. Upgrading my computer Sunday, so excited!

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
I pulled off the clubhouse escape tunnel spawn peek on my first try and induced a rage quit. I felt like a god.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Rest in pieces Hard.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I've recently started playing ranked a bit more (Silver represent :toot:) and I wonder, does the supposed Elo-aspect ever come into play? Because so far it has, without fail, always worked out to: Win a game: Rank Up; Lose a game: Rank down.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

somewhere around gold you start having to win 2 or 3 but the tiers are very close in siege

you can literally get into the bottom of plat through matchmaker luck. that said, the mid ranks from like high silver to gold have seemingly definitive lines in terms of player skill. it starts to become harder and harder to get like 15 kills a game and still win. but in general ranked players are surprisingly chill even if you're losing they rarely surrender and a lot of the TKing i see is actually against tryhards that won't stfu and stop crying that the entire team is ignoring them

but then again, every now and then you run into a team that will take turns TKing you and throw the match because they are trying to derank while padding their K:Ds

Thief fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 4, 2018

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
:siren: NEW THREAD GOONS :siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845567

:snoop:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Edit: phone posted to wrong thread

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 5, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_RlRd5YLI

Kapzy
Aug 15, 2015

Hey im kinda new to PC Siege but i have played since launch on Xbox and i'm looking for dudes(or dudettes im not picky) to play with here is my steam profile link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/iKapzylol
and my Uplay: Get_Away_Thot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Kapzy posted:

Hey im kinda new to PC Siege but i have played since launch on Xbox and i'm looking for dudes(or dudettes im not picky) to play with here is my steam profile link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/iKapzylol
and my Uplay: Get_Away_Thot

Get on that discord in the OP dude.

• Locked thread