Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ratbert90 posted:

My friend two days ago passed away from Leukemia, and it put things into perspective for me. Life is too short for this kind of bullshit, and my skills allow me to work from basically anywhere. Life is too short to work more than 40 hours a week for a company. I am never doing it again. My family and friends are more important than my career.

That sucks, and I am sorry for your loss.

I will say that going over 40 isn't always bad. The best shifts I have done were 12 hour, alternating 3-4 days a week, where one week was 36 hours and the other was 48(the extra 8 were overtime so time and a half). The pay was good and it meant that I had amazing weekends to do stuff with, and the fact that I have found I don't really decompress on a day where I worked means that I feel no difference between an 8 hour and a 12 hour day.

I don't have kids tho, so that would change things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Macaroni posted:

Can't remember if I posted about the terrified grad student who brought in a floppy disk (this was 1996), saying her dissertation file was corrupt.

I was able to recover one of the files for her, and I gave her a stern lecture about keeping multiple backups and even emailing herself the file once a week.

Imagine having such faith in humanity and technology that the very concept of backups on multiple media doesn't exist in your world. Imagine this place.

Now wake up and realize that it's just that people are fundamentally stupid.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

Back when I used it it was a horrible piece of poo poo that constantly blew up and the support was worthless.

Anything with SQL back-end has poo poo support. They can only afford so many SQL engineers, and they're mostly assigned to development. The unfortunate souls they put on support are trained in processes they don't actually understand to clean and reset database connections, and poke around in an attempt to prove user error.

I've only been in one situation where we got high enough up the support chain to speak with one of the SQL engineers. It was by far the best application support I've ever witnessed. They got knee-deep in the database, pulled all sorts of data to prove the problem, and wrote short scripts to create permanent solutions. Even to an IT support guy like I was at the time, it was wizardry.

Good luck ever finding those wizards though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tailored Sauce posted:

I do all my shitposting in Production.

Same.

I still need that root access.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Anything with SQL back-end has poo poo support. They can only afford so many SQL engineers, and they're mostly assigned to development. The unfortunate souls they put on support are trained in processes they don't actually understand to clean and reset database connections, and poke around in an attempt to prove user error.

I've only been in one situation where we got high enough up the support chain to speak with one of the SQL engineers. It was by far the best application support I've ever witnessed. They got knee-deep in the database, pulled all sorts of data to prove the problem, and wrote short scripts to create permanent solutions. Even to an IT support guy like I was at the time, it was wizardry.

Good luck ever finding those wizards though.

If I recall correctly the sales department would use Goldmine to create mass faxes via Word, sent to a Brooktrout fax board on a server. Slowly but surely this system began failing on system after system until my computer was the only one left that would work. That meant that it became part of my desktop support job to send out ALL mass faxes. And then one day mine too would no longer work. Goldmine couldn't figure it out and the company had to abandon the software.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dick Trauma posted:

You are giving me the worst flashback to the late nineties...

Ah, the days when the Pointy People Logos walked the earth

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Iron Rose posted:

I actually can't tell if you're joking or not here because this is a legitimate known issue that happens on SA :lol:
Bahaha I have never had that problem with SA, I was simply making fun of people that do not know how refreshing/F5'ing works. As in, saying I opened the new thread and there were x posts, but after that no new posts showed up (because I was not taking any action, I just expected them to show up).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Dick Trauma posted:

You are giving me the worst flashback to the late nineties...

loving hell, I haven't seen Fixedsys in ages.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

D34THROW posted:

What? No that's MS Sans Serif.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^^ dangit

D34THROW posted:

You still haven't. There's no Fixedsys in that logo. :colbert:

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
My dear sweet mother has a printer/fax/copy thing. A good old HP OfficeJet. And the loving thing is 50/50 on whether it will actually ever print over the network. So she's got a USB cable still plugged into it, and she'll just walk herself into the office and plug it in every time she wants to print, but only after angrily trying to network print 4 or 5 times and I am just at my wits trying to diagnose why the hell it doesn't work.

Printers are the loving devil.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Phuzzy posted:

My dear sweet mother has a printer/fax/copy thing. A good old HP OfficeJet. And the loving thing is 50/50 on whether it will actually ever print over the network. So she's got a USB cable still plugged into it, and she'll just walk herself into the office and plug it in every time she wants to print, but only after angrily trying to network print 4 or 5 times and I am just at my wits trying to diagnose why the hell it doesn't work.

Those inkjet all-in-ones are loving garbage. We had one in our shipping dept at my old job and it broke down inside of 4 months or something. Utter loving garbage.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
gently caress printers

I'm still sometimes tempted to buy a production xerox for my apartment since at least that'll break fewer times and I can actually get support :v:

Because goddamn printers are poo poo. I have no idea how something so essential to everyday life is so broken across literally every single vendor.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

The Iron Rose posted:

gently caress printers

I'm still sometimes tempted to buy a production xerox for my apartment since at least that'll break fewer times and I can actually get support :v:

Because goddamn printers are poo poo. I have no idea how something so essential to everyday life is so broken across literally every single vendor.

Because the company still gets paid no matter how lovely the printer is.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

nielsm posted:

What? No that's MS Sans Serif.

Not the logo, the UI, specifically the title bar of the window and (I think) the textbox captions.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

D34THROW posted:

Not the logo, the UI, specifically the title bar of the window and (I think) the textbox captions.

Those are definitely MS Sans Serif. This is Fixedsys:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Iron Rose posted:

gently caress printers

i got a canon laser jet just because i didn't want to have to gently caress with poo poo. $350, and it's a nightmare to move, but still worth it

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The only issue on my first day today was connecting to the network printer. :v: Got taken care of fairly quickly, but it was hilarious to me that one of the first things I had to do was put in an internal IT ticket for it.

Also 27" monitors are big. :eyepop:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Phuzzy posted:

Like 2 or 3 years ago I had to set up my mom's printer such that it'd work wirelessly because she turned her office into an art studio and traded the desktop for a laptop. I of course didn't want to do it, so I got really drunk, set-up an old wrt54gl to act as a bridge, did some stuff with the printer configurations I don't remember, and it's worked without a hitch ever since. I refuse to ask questions about it for fear of that acknowledgment somehow causing the whole thing to break *knocks on wood*. Fun fact: the printer's network name is now Spathi instead of Epson-whatever-the-gently caress and often is referred to as such by my mom.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Kyrosiris posted:

That's what she said!

Sorry

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inkjets are the absolute worst. For most people, who don't print a lot, a simple B&W laserjet will last them ages before the starting toner cartridge gets low.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I bought a cheap as gently caress Epson multifunction inkjet 4 years ago and have run it on £10 of third party ink cartridges since then (I print very little - shipping labels for eBay and tickets to things). I mainly got it because it would scan direct to Google Drive / Dropbox as well as having a duplex ADF, so I could finally turn loads of scraps of paper into PDFs and shred the originals. Would buy again. I'd be happy with a mono laser but duplex ADFs on a laser seem to push the price up a ton.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Hahaha. No.

Try 40" or 43" 4K :unsmigghh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wibla posted:

Hahaha. No.

My last job had 21s and I have 24s at home, so anything bigger/that can run at 1440 is new to me. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dual 24" 16:10 supremacy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Dual 24" 16:10 supremacy

Yeah I thought we decided this was the right answer like 2 threads ago...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dragonshardz posted:

Inkjets are the absolute worst. For most people, who don't print a lot, a simple B&W laserjet will last them ages before the starting toner cartridge gets low.

I've told my parents that I will only help them with printer problems so long as they don't buy cheap poo poo inkjet MFPs. It's kept them in line, they have a Brother multifunction that Just Works™.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I have a 27 inch screen 1440p screen and I hate it. Its way too big. My 24 inch screen is also 1080p which is dreadfully low res compared to my laptop's 19 or whatever inch screen at 1440p.

If I had two secondary screens that were 24 inch 1440p I'd be very happy.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

gently caress printers

It's "hilariously complex electromechanical device" meets "make as cheap as possible". Fast, good, cheap...pick 0.5 of those 3 for printers.

That said, for home, the Brother lasers are kick-rear end. I have one of those and a HP LaserJet 4100 that's stopped working with Windows 10 now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 4100 will work if you use the latest ver of the Universal Print Driver.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wibla posted:

Hahaha. No.

I thought the 27” comment was about CRTs, since we were talking about legacy hardware

*table buckles*

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Data Graham posted:

I thought the 27” comment was about CRTs, since we were talking about legacy hardware

*table buckles*

I have an old Gateway Vivitron CRT at home with "Desk Buster 2000" sharpied on the front because it broke an old computer desk of mine. It still works, but I keep it on it's own sturdy little end table.

E: The Desk Buster is a Vivitron, not a Trinitron.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 3, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inspector_666 posted:

I've told my parents that I will only help them with printer problems so long as they don't buy cheap poo poo inkjet MFPs. It's kept them in line, they have a Brother multifunction that Just Works™.

I did the same and convinced my parents to ditch both of their old, janky inkjet MFPs for a single Brother laserjet MFP hooked up to the network.

movax posted:

It's "hilariously complex electromechanical device" meets "make as cheap as possible". Fast, good, cheap...pick 0.5 of those 3 for printers.

That said, for home, the Brother lasers are kick-rear end. I have one of those and a HP LaserJet 4100 that's stopped working with Windows 10 now.

Brother lasers are the only brand I'd actually recommend to anyone.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

GreenNight posted:

The 4100 will work if you use the latest ver of the Universal Print Driver.

I think I tried this, but still got boxes on printouts instead of the text I was expecting. I was so frustrated wasting paper and time than I ordered the Brother printer that same day for overnight shipping.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^You might have been using a postscript driver, when you needed PCL. Or maybe the other way around. I think...

dragonshardz posted:

Brother lasers are the only brand I'd actually recommend to anyone.

I used to do the same, but pretty much all the Brothers I bought at my previous job turned out to be utter garbage. The HL-L5470's and HL-L6200's will consume their fusers within 3000-5000 prints.I went back to buying HPs.

Also, my dude, what the hell is in your avatar?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Also, my dude, what the hell is in your avatar?

It's probably this guy

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mewse posted:

It's probably this guy

God, I've seen that probably a hundred times and it still makes me laugh.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dragonshardz posted:

Nthing the Brother Laserjet supremacy. Got tired of the cheap inkshit printers that I only used once a year or so for whatever luddite that doesn't take a scanned email always needing replacement ink or just having spontaneously shat themselves from disuse.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, getting caught up on things now that everyone is coming back from the holidays. I checked into this thread, and it looks like it was deployed as a POC, but this looks like prod level posting.

Did someone sync the prod shitpost.mdb into the POC for load testing or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The thing that kicks me about printers is not the "electromechanical" part, that in my experience works fine. It's printing to the loving things.

It was 2016 when I bought my [decent brand] multifunction printer with the goal of having a thing on a network I can print to and setting it up was a complete shitshow, often requiring multiple power cycles to get it to work which kinda defeats the point.

It actually works *better* on wifi than on a wired connection, and the feedback from it is godawful.