Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy new year goons! It's 2018 and poo poo can't be worse right? Let's find out and chat about stupid bullshit in the meantime!

Also go submit to the 2018 BSS Sheep Game! You could win a forums upgrade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe in 2018 Marvel will turn their poo poo around!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Happy new years everyone

Let's hope this one's better

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Edit: wrong sub forum!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
To the person who said gently caress northern comics I'll have you know that we have Lemire and Byrne.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Seeing the volleyball panels was interesting. I think I'm afraid to really get into manga because there's already a hundred western comics I want to read and adding an entire new section of books to look through seems really daunting.

I thought I remember reading about how everyone basically reads manga in Japan, in big telephone book size compilations that they treat like newspapers and just toss when they're finished. Is that accurate? Are there people who have the same kind of collector mentality as over here?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The majority of manga is read in phonebook style anthologies that are printed cheap on the world's worst paper and can be bought almost anywhere, but they release individual volumes of ongoing series and single volume collections. It's kind of similar to how the US market handles trades, I guess? It's a really shaky comparison if you examine either in any detail but it's an okay shorthand.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Collecting manga issues would be difficult. Instead of getting one 32 page issue of Superman a month, you get a 500 page copy of Shonen Jump every week. And that's just one magazine. If you're buying Gundam Ace and Big Comic and Monthly Shonen Magazine, trying to store them all would get difficult pretty fast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

To the person who said gently caress northern comics I'll have you know that we have Lemire and Byrne.
You're not helping your case.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

You're not helping your case.

Unless you think all blonde hispanic women look like whores.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think manga series were getting collected editions pretty early on compared to comics, so I think there's less of a drive to go out and collect every issue of Jump with Dragonball in it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I think DC had two years of constant gently caress ups, Marvel still has some time before they switch off again.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Collecting manga issues would be difficult. Instead of getting one 32 page issue of Superman a month, you get a 500 page copy of Shonen Jump every week. And that's just one magazine. If you're buying Gundam Ace and Big Comic and Monthly Shonen Magazine, trying to store them all would get difficult pretty fast.

Pleb, you're not supposed to store the magazines. You're supposed to throw those out and then buy the Tankoban of your favorite series.

Ha, ha...

*This Poster has a collection of Shonen Jump magazines*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Unless you think all blonde hispanic women look like whores.

Why doesnt byrne like Iggy Azalea?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No one likes iggy azalea

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

He doesn't. He just think she looks like a hooker. And you can't make me believe John Byrne hasn't used the services of hookers in his lifetime.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I suppose Ike Perelmutter might die, yes

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, everyone, happy 2018!

I am recruiting two people for my Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Game on Saturdays at 8pm EST. We're currently, funny enough, running a game set in the DCU, but we jump around every adventure. I may be a little touch-and-go due to my work schedule, but this can be a fun chance to play a fun system, play your favorite characters, and get to live comic book action!

If you're interested, come to the discord.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone mentioned this at the end of the last thread, and I think it needs to be reiterated: why the hell is Lone Wolf and Cub only available in those lovely little DH books? Give me an oversized collection.

It looks like Dark Horse is releasing a Gallery Edition with "selections" of the work, but I want the whole thing.

e: also, a couple of you are re-reading all of Thor, right? I'm up to Thor 140 and oh my god this book is so good. It's the best work Jack was doing at the time, by a mile. FF is good, but Thor was made for Kirby's fantastically grotesque style.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thor 133 (first Ego) is really good, but the best is yet to come. Let me know what you think when you go through the 160's.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Covok posted:

Hey, everyone, happy 2018!

I am recruiting two people for my Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Game on Saturdays at 8pm EST. We're currently, funny enough, running a game set in the DCU, but we jump around every adventure. I may be a little touch-and-go due to my work schedule, but this can be a fun chance to play a fun system, play your favorite characters, and get to live comic book action!

If you're interested, come to the discord.

Can I just watch and stuff? The schedule isn't viable for me but I miss reading RPG logs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jordan7hm posted:

Someone mentioned this at the end of the last thread, and I think it needs to be reiterated: why the hell is Lone Wolf and Cub only available in those lovely little DH books? Give me an oversized collection.

It looks like Dark Horse is releasing a Gallery Edition with "selections" of the work, but I want the whole thing.

Dark Horse fuckin' sucks. They just stopped releasing new volumes of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, they let Battle Angle Alita stay out of print for a decade until the movie was announced, and they stopped releasing Blood Blockade Battlefront until the anime came out and was a hit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Can I just watch and stuff? The schedule isn't viable for me but I miss reading RPG logs.

It's a voice only game.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dark Horse fuckin' sucks. They just stopped releasing new volumes of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, they let Battle Angle Alita stay out of print for a decade until the movie was announced, and they stopped releasing Blood Blockade Battlefront until the anime came out and was a hit.

I'm sure whatever pirate site you post your scans from has it all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Iggy Azalea is australian though?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Open Marriage Night posted:

Thor 133 (first Ego) is really good, but the best is yet to come. Let me know what you think when you go through the 160's.

133 was good yeah, but I love the issue where Jane Foster becomes an immortal for a hot minute, or the whole war between the trolls and Asgard.

And Tales of Asgard is actually the best part of that book, starting at about 114 there isn’t really a bad ToA story, and once they get going on the Ragnarok saga and into the adventures of the warriors three it’s unassailable.

I did not expect to love Thor this much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you, Lurdiak, Morrison DOES own

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
^^^^^^Also this.

Endless Mike posted:

He doesn't. He just think she looks like a hooker. And you can't make me believe John Byrne hasn't used the services of hookers in his lifetime.

When he said that, I was like, "Well, now we know his fetish."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

:yeah:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Morrison is really good

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

133 was good yeah, but I love the issue where Jane Foster becomes an immortal for a hot minute, or the whole war between the trolls and Asgard.

And Tales of Asgard is actually the best part of that book, starting at about 114 there isn’t really a bad ToA story, and once they get going on the Ragnarok saga and into the adventures of the warriors three it’s unassailable.

I did not expect to love Thor this much.

Thor is probably my favorite book from 60's Marvel. Spider-Man was great, but you get tired of him whining about his problems after a while. Donald Blake's whiny rear end was holding Thor back for a while too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senior Woodchuck posted:

^^^^^^Also this.

When he said that, I was like, "Well, now we know his fetish."
That may be another, but his main one clearly involves choking women.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Open Marriage Night posted:

Thor is probably my favorite book from 60's Marvel. Spider-Man was great, but you get tired of him whining about his problems after a while. Donald Blake's whiny rear end was holding Thor back for a while too.

I still think Spider-Man is a cut above, mainly because while Pete's whining can grate after a while, he's a genuinely interesting character who has interesting things happen to him. He's the only Marvel secret identity so far that's worth anything. Tony Stark is the next best thing I guess, with all the Senator Byrd stuff that's going on, but it's tough to care that much about the troubles of an incredibly rich genius who also happens to be Iron Man.

I was real disappointed when they cut back to Don Blake in Thor after the war on asgard thing. If they can avoid going down that path that would help sway the scales, but I just don't know if they will.

On the other hand I'm also right where Romita takes over on S-M. I love Ditko but Romita is just so drat good. His work on Daredevil made the very bad book readable, and I'm super looking forward to seeing him work on Spider-man.

I'm also real close to Sterenko on Shield. I've heard great things about that run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Squirrel Girl knows her art history puns.
https://twitter.com/unbeatablesg/status/948279023150489602
(If you don't follow Squirrel Girl on twitter, most of her posts are people tweeting photos of squirrels and asking their name, but it's usually just cell phone photos).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Escobarbarian posted:

:bisonyes:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What does Morrison own.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does Morrison own.

At least according to one interview, a car he'd like to run Mark Millar over with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does Morrison own.

That is the question isn't it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

END ME SCOOB posted:

At least according to one interview, a car he'd like to run Mark Millar over with.

Morrison doesn't want to run Mark Millar over, he just wouldn't take any preventative action if such an unfortunate incident might occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

What does Morrison own.

I think he owns the remnants of a castle in Scotland. That was a fun Wizard interview.

• Locked thread