Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i definitely prefer the vintage ones over modern ones, mostly due to the weight being lower and the smoother finish on the inside of the pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

One other thing to check vintage pans for is flatness: cast iron can warp if you overheat it.

...Ask me how I know. :(

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Not that I need one, but has anyone switched to carbon steel from cast iron? Is there something cast iron does better than carbon steel in missing?

It'd be cool not having to maintain the pan, mainly because my roommates are lazy and let it rust after washing it. From what I've read, you get all he benefits from cast iron, but also save on weight too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Carbon steel will rust the same too

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Also you don't get the main benefit from cast iron, which is heat capacity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What carbon steel pans lack in heat storage, they seem to make up for by transmitting heat more directly

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I believe carbon steel transfers heat better. This is why pizza steels are steel and not cast iron.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I started using cast iron for the first time about three years ago. My parents had two old pans sitting around from their parents that they never used.

For the first year and a half I used the first pan on an electric coil top type of stove (where the pan sits on the raise coils) with good luck. I then moved apartments to one with an electric smooth glass type of stove and found that the bottom of the pan was not level. It was pain since it made it nearly impossible to stir or even scoop stuff out the pan without needing to hold the handle to stop it from spinning around.

I tried beating the bottom of a the pan with a rubber mallet for a while and then just went over to the second pan (which despite being the same diameter, somehow feels twice as heavy). It's been a year now, and while it started off great, it's now to the point where it too wants to spin (still not as bad as the first pan).

What's going on here? Is there a good way to make the bottom flat again, and is there any way to keep it flat?

If it is due to uneven heating, that seems like a runaway problem, since as the bottom bulges out, only it is making direct contact with the glasstop, so it will continue to receive more uneven heating.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If it's like my glass top you're getting seasoning on the bottom of the pan from incidental oil splatter. Lol rubber mallet on cast iron.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If it's like my glass top you're getting seasoning on the bottom of the pan from incidental oil splatter. Lol rubber mallet on cast iron.

It seems odd to me that the oil would build up in the center underneath the pan, I would think if anything, it would build up on the edges. I'll try giving the bottom a good scrubbing this weekend and see if it levels it out at all.

I had read elsewhere that if the pan heats up unevenly the center will buckle some since it can't push out to the sides. I'm not sure why a pan that's been around for forty years would just start doing that now. Also, now that the center makes the only direct contact with the stove, it seems like it would only get worse with no way to fix it.

I just wanted to try something before giving up on the pan, but the mallet worked about as well as you would think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jjack229 posted:

It seems odd to me that the oil would build up in the center underneath the pan, I would think if anything, it would build up on the edges. I'll try giving the bottom a good scrubbing this weekend and see if it levels it out at all.

If the pan is convex, then the oil might be running down to the center? Would require more oil, to be sure.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Speaking of building up under the pan. The cooking surface is beautifully seasoned, but the underside of my pan looks like old paint chipping off the wall. I assume it's the seasoning flaking off, but it doesn't seem to ever ACTUALLY come off. If I scrape it all off with a putty knife or something, is there any way to prevent it from happening again? Should I even bother seasoning the underside in the first place?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

McSpankWich posted:

Speaking of building up under the pan. The cooking surface is beautifully seasoned, but the underside of my pan looks like old paint chipping off the wall. I assume it's the seasoning flaking off, but it doesn't seem to ever ACTUALLY come off. If I scrape it all off with a putty knife or something, is there any way to prevent it from happening again? Should I even bother seasoning the underside in the first place?

If you don't season the bottom at all, it will rust, and quickly.

It could be seasoning, it could be stuff that stuck to the pan (like from the oven rack). Either way, if it's not coming off or otherwise causing a problem, then I don't see a reason to worry about it. If it does come off all the way to bare iron, you will need to season to re-seal any bald spots.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

McSpankWich posted:

My pan looks the same. Hasn't rusted. Isn't cooked on. Not a problem.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I just bought the coolest little pot with a lid. It holds maybe a quart, and I got it for $12. Got it home and hit it with a wire brush and it looks like it is cracked. Either I did it or it was already cracked; there is a hairline crack down the side that had rust in it, so I'm betting it was already there and I didn't notice it (I didn't look closely at it when I bought it)

I'm planning to use it on my grill for small servings of beans and the like. Should I still use it or is it going to split the first time I use it? It's in the oven seasoning now.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

QuarkMartial posted:

I just bought the coolest little pot with a lid. It holds maybe a quart, and I got it for $12. Got it home and hit it with a wire brush and it looks like it is cracked. Either I did it or it was already cracked; there is a hairline crack down the side that had rust in it, so I'm betting it was already there and I didn't notice it (I didn't look closely at it when I bought it)

I'm planning to use it on my grill for small servings of beans and the like. Should I still use it or is it going to split the first time I use it? It's in the oven seasoning now.

If the seasoning doesn't make it split, it will probably be fine to use for your purposes.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Well, it didn't seem to get any bigger. Here's an album with some photos of it and the crack. I think for just a couple servings of beans, smoking bbq sauces, and cooking small cobblers etc for two people on the grill it'll be fine.

https://imgur.com/a/bGQo3

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
It looks like the crack goes all the way through the wall of the pot, so I'd try boiling some water in it first just to make sure it doesn't leak (too badly).

Neat little pot, though.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I just bought a small logo Griswold number 9 for personal reasons and it came today! It smells like holy gently caress cigarettes and whoever tried to season it last hosed it up baaaad with like obvious splotches and big pools of grease on whatever side their stove slanted.

I can fix the seasoning no problem, but how the hell do I get the cigarette smoke out of it? I was just gonna set it on some charcoal until it all burned off and redo it from scratch but if you guys have any easier ideas I'm all ears!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Stalizard posted:

I can fix the seasoning no problem, but how the hell do I get the cigarette smoke out of it?
I suspect the smoke smell is in the seasoning, so if you completely strip that, the stink should go away.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stalizard posted:

I just bought a small logo Griswold number 9 for personal reasons and it came today! It smells like holy gently caress cigarettes and whoever tried to season it last hosed it up baaaad with like obvious splotches and big pools of grease on whatever side their stove slanted.

I can fix the seasoning no problem, but how the hell do I get the cigarette smoke out of it? I was just gonna set it on some charcoal until it all burned off and redo it from scratch but if you guys have any easier ideas I'm all ears!

The odor is likely absorbed in the seasoning. I'd put it in the over and run it thru a couple hours of self-cleaning, which will evaporate all the seasoning. It will smell like both evaporated oil and cigarette smoke when you do this, but once it's gone it's gone for good.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
That's great news! I can do that this weekend, outdoors!

Another thing is I just now noticed it has a big obvious repair around the handle, probably why it was so cheap! Can I just season over this and get on with my life? Anything I gotta worry about from a food safety standpoint? Does it depend on if it was welded or brazed or other (is there an "other" here?)

I'm hoping I can just blast it over the grill this weekend, reseason as normal and get on with my life!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Stalizard posted:

That's great news! I can do that this weekend, outdoors!

Another thing is I just now noticed it has a big obvious repair around the handle, probably why it was so cheap! Can I just season over this and get on with my life? Anything I gotta worry about from a food safety standpoint? Does it depend on if it was welded or brazed or other (is there an "other" here?)

I'm hoping I can just blast it over the grill this weekend, reseason as normal and get on with my life!
The handle won't (well, shouldn't) be coming into contact with your food. The safety issue would be if you were lifting it with something heavy inside and the handle broke, dropping a several-pound + food immensely hot object onto you/your floor/pets/whatever. I'm sure it'd be fine for pancakes or eggs type stuff, but I'd probably avoid using it for heavier things.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is there a noticeable difference between enameled cast iron and plain?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

red19fire posted:

Is there a noticeable difference between enameled cast iron and plain?

Many differences, but it depends on what you are wondering about. Care? How it it used in cooking? Something else?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Many differences, but it depends on what you are wondering about. Care? How it it used in cooking? Something else?

I have nonstick for the most part, but I’m considering dumping it all for stainless and cast iron, and I heard enameled cast iron has all the benefits with much less maintenance required.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

red19fire posted:

I have nonstick for the most part, but I’m considering dumping it all for stainless and cast iron, and I heard enameled cast iron has all the benefits with much less maintenance required.

You don't really need to dump it all. Nonstick is pretty much required for eggs unless you use a bunch of oil.

I don't think there's a need to be super extreme one way or another regarding your cookware. I have a collection of both.

Nonstick 10" skillet
Stainless 12" skillet
Cast iron 12" pan
8 qt enameled cast iron dutch oven
Nonstick 6" skillet

All of my pots are stainless.

They all have their uses.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

red19fire posted:

Pretty much. Though with cast iron you can use any utensil and with enamel I'd recommend using the same utensils that you'd use with non-stick so you don't risk scratching the surface.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Don't toss your nonstick.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

red19fire posted:

I did this and have no regrets.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
You still need oil for eggs in nonstick.

...maybe I have lovely nonstick, though.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I use nonstick for stuff that I don't want to cook at ripping high heats. So, mostly just eggs, but sometimes seafood, too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Gorgar posted:

I did this and have no regrets.

same. i don’t miss it. there’s things it makes easier, but you don’t need it for anything

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

You still need oil for eggs in nonstick.

...maybe I have lovely nonstick, though.

You shouldn’t need oil unless your pan is bad or old (and thus bad).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the littlest prince posted:

You shouldn’t need oil unless your pan is bad or old (and thus bad).

or if it’s just hard-anodized, which looks like nonstick, but isn’t

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
You need butter though, because it tastes good.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
We have a Staub 7qt oval dutch oven (excuse me, "cocotte" :jerkbag:) that I've been trying to use more often lately, mostly for oven braising but I also used it to deep fry the Christmas porchetta.

(not pictured: me, splatter guard in hand, although as you can see from the stovetop/counter it was already a lost cause)

We have one of those flat ceramic cooktop stoves where you're only supposed to use truly flat-bottomed pans. When I was cleaning it, I noticed that the bottom actually has a tiny raised rim around the outside edge. I also have a 4qt round dutch oven and looked over a 5.5qt in the store - no rim on either. Am I basically leaving an air gap between the burner and the pan? Could this be why I had so much trouble keeping the oil at temp while frying (I put it down to having a big hunk of meat and my anemic lovely apartment range)?

e: on reflection, this should probably have been in the kitchen equipment thread

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 31, 2017

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i got a vintage frying pan - with matching lid! - for christmas

mom smashing on that thrift store biz

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Pics? Congrats btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What's the best way to take rust off cast iron? I got two small lodge pans for a pittance at the thrift store and they need a little love.