Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What do you guys think RJ Barrett will end up doing? I know y'all hate Duke but it feels like Canada is sending more and more people to the NBA.

Hopefully he'll be the slightly bigger version of what Andrew Wiggins was supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Hopefully he'll be the slightly bigger version of what Andrew Wiggins was supposed to be.

I've watched him at one National team scrimmage? Something like that on a stream thing and I don't like to pay attention to guys before college, but the word on the street is that he's more of a smooth scoring wing than a hyper athlete freak like Wiggins

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 2, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I like the "Only compare players to other players who grew up in the same broad geographic location".

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Lockback posted:

I like the "Only compare players to other players who grew up in the same broad geographic location".

He plays in a very Canadian manner

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just noticed that as the standings are today the Celtics would pick 2nd due to the Lakers being awful, but not quite awful enough to go number one. :lol:

Who would we even pick? I think the wing positions are set, so a guard or a big man?

Sports Illustrated as them picking Luka Doncic
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/02/nba-mock-draft-2018-trae-young-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Just noticed that as the standings are today the Celtics would pick 2nd due to the Lakers being awful, but not quite awful enough to go number one. :lol:

Who would we even pick? I think the wing positions are set, so a guard or a big man?

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/02/nba-mock-draft-2018-trae-young-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic

If I have to watch Luka next to Tatum in green for the next 20 years I may end it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well you're playing Aron Baynes 20 minutes a game so thats a good place to start.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Cs get the lakers pick I'd def go Center.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well you're playing Aron Baynes 20 minutes a game so thats a good place to start.

Oh now you've done it. All of Australia will be after you now

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Delladova and Ben Simmons?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Delladova and Ben Simmons?

https://streamable.com/ojqn5

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

euphronius posted:

If Cs get the lakers pick I'd def go Center.

I figured they go after Cousins if that were the case.

Though if they fall below #2 I'd prefer Bamba over Bagley, the latter is 6'10.5 with a 7'0 wingspan though he makes up for it elsewhere.

Otherwise take Porter or trade down for Jaren Jackson Jr.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 3, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They can't fit Cousins in as a FA right.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

They can't fit Cousins in as a FA right.

Not without trading off Al, most likely

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Marvin Bagley Jr is a perimeter oriented Mikki Moore

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuummm

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I agree that a big man seems like the most obvious fit for Boston, but Brad Stevens helming an offense that runs out Kyrie, Doncic, Tatum and Hayward sounds extremely cool to me

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

xbilkis posted:

I agree that a big man seems like the most obvious fit for Boston, but Brad Stevens helming an offense that runs out Kyrie, Doncic, Tatum and Hayward sounds extremely cool to me

Who the gently caress is going to rebound

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
never ever ever ever ever draft for position. do not do it

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Celtics can have a sick offense that's fun to watch and a fatal flaw that prevents them from winning a championship, that seems like the best of both worlds baby

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Be still my beating heart <3

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvanTH posted:

Yeah if only there were top tier PF/Cs in this draft

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

I feel like if you're a 50-60 win team a lot of these rules change. Late first round teams usually do better drafting for position because its really easy to get frozen out of a good lineup if you're a rookie. I'm not sure what Boston does if they have a top-5 pick, but I think the math works different than the typical awful team up there.

I would normally say Boston should definitely trade the pick, but I thought that last year and they got Tatum who is amazing for them so I have no idea.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

I would normally say Boston should definitely trade the pick, but I thought that last year and they got Tatum who is amazing for them so I have no idea.

To be fair, they got Tatum after trading the pick. They might have taken him first overall anyways, but they got a team to give them stuff and still draft who they actually wanted.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How deep is this draft supposed to be? Are the Mavs screwed if they end up with the 6-8th pick?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

To be fair, they got Tatum after trading the pick. They might have taken him first overall anyways, but they got a team to give them stuff and still draft who they actually wanted.

True, but by trade the pick I meant trade out of the lottery/draft and get a vet. Which is what I would do if I were Boston this year, but I'm probably wrong again.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

How deep is this draft supposed to be? Are the Mavs screwed if they end up with the 6-8th pick?

Hard to say, the top looks really good, but its still way too early to get a real sense of the depth

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

January 18, 2018 is the 10 year anniversary of Reggie Evans hitting a 3-point shot

https://streamable.com/rav31

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Was Reggie Evans the grabber or grab-ee of someones nuts in the middle of an nba game? I cant remember

Edit: Grabber...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D69Q7TrZT0I

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 3, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Following up a year of Sean Miller with Brad Stevens is a good way to make sure Ayton's burgeoning defensive awareness continues to grow. And he's a monster on the boards, and looks at least hopeful to develop an outside shot. The Celtics will draft like Robert Williams III and he'lll somehow be an amazing shooter despite being a mediocre to bad college shooter.

Spacebump posted:

One of the reason I don't even start to scout until January is that the draft rankings change so wildly between November and January, and even then they aren't really STABLE at any point until the college season is over.

Which makes it hard to project depth unfortunately.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't think Boston should get a veteran high usage C at all. A rookie scale high athletic monster is perfect for them.

I think the timing works out that Horfords contract ends when they'd need to extend the Lakers pick.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Mo Bamba seems like a good fit then. Difficulty of course is if you're #2 or #3 pick and Ayton/Bagley/Doncic/Porter are seen as higher upside players.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
LMFAO

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Starting to approach Pistol Pete territory.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

xbilkis posted:

Apologies for repeating myself, but Doncic is almost a 6'8 Kyrie. He can score from every level of the court, has crazy stuff at the rim, passes when absolutely necessary, and probably can't defend anyone.

Bagley is probably a good fit for Boston, he can focus on help and weakside stuff and learn how to play defense at 5. He has a ton to learn, but they're so good at putting players in a position to succeed. He could look terrible on another team

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

I feel like if you're a 50-60 win team a lot of these rules change. Late first round teams usually do better drafting for position because its really easy to get frozen out of a good lineup if you're a rookie. I'm not sure what Boston does if they have a top-5 pick, but I think the math works different than the typical awful team up there.

I guess I'm being a bit overly-absolute about it, but it really does seem like the teams that draft for position come to regret it almost all the time. If you're comparing draftee value then positional needs should be towards the bottom of the list. Every story of a team missing a star player in the draft seems to be a story of some other team drafting for position instead of potential.

The draft is more about who's going to be good in three years or so, not who's good next year, so by the time your drafted player's ready to compete your positional needs may have changed completely

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EvanTH posted:

I guess I'm being a bit overly-absolute about it, but it really does seem like the teams that draft for position come to regret it almost all the time. If you're comparing draftee value then positional needs should be towards the bottom of the list. Every story of a team missing a star player in the draft seems to be a story of some other team drafting for position instead of potential.

The draft is more about who's going to be good in three years or so, not who's good next year, so by the time your drafted player's ready to compete your positional needs may have changed completely

I largely agree with you but man alive Atlanta should have drafted Chris Paul instead of Marvin Williams

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can he play point in the NBA? He's so much fun to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you draft for position when there is like 5 guys with roughly the same upside. I feel like someone is gonna want to trade up for Young bc hype, so trade that pick for like #8 and a future 1st, never run out of assets Danny. I rely like Bamba.

• Locked thread