Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
No one else has complained about this. I really should send something to support but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hi, On amazon.it the CSS326-24G-2S+RM model price (143€) is now low enough to sway me from maybe to definite buy to upgrade my homelab. How much reliable/stable is SwitchOS? Is it hard to use/configure? Anybody have tried that model?

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 9, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I've been running a CSS326 for a few months. SwOS has been needs suiting, aside from some firmware growing pains, and it's been receiving feature updates too. If you just need a cheap switch with 10G ports that does VLANs, LACP, and spanning tree, then it is perfect for that role.

SwOS 2.4 has been stable for me. Version 2.5 introduced IGMP and DHCP snooping, but you couldn't turn off DHCP snooping and it prevented anything from communicating with the DHCP server no matter how the ports were configured. I haven't updated yet, because I don't need those features, but 2.6 supposedly has a fix.

Tl;Dr it's a good switch, Mikrotik software is still poo poo

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 9, 2017

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Do you think there is a point into shelling out for the dualboot model or the swos image is adequate enough? I only plan to use it for l2+vlan. I took a look at the "extensive" documentation and didn't see any reference to ipv6, the management is ipv4 only, is that right?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

As far as switching goes, they seem to be keeping SwOS and ROS at feature parity. The L3 stuff with ROS is going to be super slow, so it's probably meant for those who want an all-ROS management plane for scripting purposes and/or a console interface. SwOS has no IPv6 features exposed whatsoever.

In fact, the IPv4 "stack" isn't even RFC compliant. It doesn't do ARP, and you don't even configure a subnet mask or gateway. Instead, it sends replies to the source IP and MAC on the packets you send it. Luckily, you can restrict which VLAN(s) and port(s) are allowed to access the management interface, and that feature seems to work.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 9, 2017

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Understood, i was expecting an anemic l3 performance anyway given the switch chip and ram. Shame about IPv6, as it is the CSS would be the only device in my household that runs as ipv4 only :/ Are you using the 10g port with dac cables, optical or copper? I would like to buy a css along a s+rj10 sfp to connect it to my nas but i never used mikrotik with sfp+ so i'm a bit wary(they cannot do worse than ubiquiti but i still don't want to have issues to save some pennies).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 9, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I'm using DAC cables, and it has no problems with Cisco- and Amphenol-branded ones. You should probably be ok with Mikrotik-branded modules (one would hope!), but they definitely don't have a whitelist, so anything reasonably standards-compliant should work.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I've found this link on the CSS product page https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_SFP_module_compatibility_table .
From the main table a CSS326 looks ok with S+RJ10 model sfp+, I just hope that qnap QM2 10gbase-t card won't make a fuss with mikrotik gear

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

I'm usually pro-mikrotik, but, in this case, I just wanted to vent about how much Mikrotik royally sucks donkey dick for BGP. Especially the new CCRs.

So, I'll skip the long boring details of the story and stick to the interesting crap:

2 full BGP tables. 5 Prefix announcements.

full convergence time on both peers, simultaenously:

1100AHx2 - 2 minutes, 49 seconds. Not bad, still slower than what I like.
1100AHx4 - a little better, 2 minutes 37 seconds.
x86 Xeon E3-1270 w/ RouterOS - 67 seconds - A lot better, but that's mostly because of the x86 CPU being way faster single core performance.

Now, let's get to the CCR...
CCR1009 - 8 minutes 37 seconds - gently caress me
CCR1036 - 6 minutes 42 seconds - Ok, a little better, but still, gently caress me

Just downright frustrating. The 1100s shouldn't be faster than a flagship CCR.
I get why, I really do. The RouterOS BGP process is single threaded. I've always read about this being the case, never really believed it until I experienced it firsthand.
The PPC CPU in the 1100 is better per-core on the performance, and so is the ARM CPU, amazingly, in the x4. The Tile CPUs in the CCRs have sheer quantity of cores, great for most things, except BGP.

Now, on to what really frustrates me about it:
x86 Atom Quad Core w/ VyOS - 62 seconds.
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Pro - 74 seconds
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Infinity - 49 seconds

For me, it's just frustrating that Ubiquiti, the new guy on the block, gets BGP better than Mikrotik, who has been doing this router thing for a LOT longer.

Anyway, end of my rant, and some fun helpful little statistics for anyone curious.

zennik fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 10, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The new OS that can utilise the core count will be along any day now :v:

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

The new OS that can utilise the core count will be along any day now :v:

Oh yes, any day now! They haven't been saying that since 2013 or anything...
Let me hold my breath and wait!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This seems bad for the future of Mikrotiks

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE
What kind of wireless experience can I expect to have if I'm picking up around 60 routers/ap's in the immediate vicinity of my 2.4GHz scan on my hap ac, it would be dog poo poo right?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Generally crap. 5 ghz should be better but I'm guessing you have some legacy equipment or you wouldn't be asking.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE

thebigcow posted:

Generally crap. 5 ghz should be better but I'm guessing you have some legacy equipment or you wouldn't be asking.

Yeah the customers tend to have older phones/laptops still using 2.4GHz so I unfortunately can't just disable those interfaces. It's in an apartment block so there's a shitload of wireless devices here. Isolating the channel does more harm than good as routers end up jumping into that frequency anyway.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

zennik posted:

I get why, I really do. The RouterOS BGP process is single threaded. I've always read about this being the case, never really believed it until I experienced it firsthand.

Do a "/ip route print where 8.8.8.8 in dst-address"

..Two days later as it finishes comparing each route entry in a foreach loop to see if 8.8.8.8 fits in the range/prefix...

Mikrotik is good for CPE/edge, not good for core stuff.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

unknown posted:

Mikrotik is good for CPE/edge, not good for core stuff.

* Unless it's a BGP-free MPLS core. The CCRs are good as P routers.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Howdy, I have just setup a simple CHR VM on my QNAP. I wanted to add thedude server package, the wiki suggest adding a second disk to keep the historic data. How much space should I provision to the VM to keep say three months for your average household?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Edge Router X or Mikrotik HEX for a business network with like 40 devices. 60mb down with 12mb up (Comcast business). Only need a few port forwards and firewall rules. Nothing major.

Opinions?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

redeyes posted:

Edge Router X or Mikrotik HEX for a business network with like 40 devices. 60mb down with 12mb up (Comcast business). Only need a few port forwards and firewall rules. Nothing major.

Opinions?

Do you need to use VPN? VPN performance is kinda weak on a ER-X

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Do you need to use VPN? VPN performance is kinda weak on a ER-X

Yeah I do. Mostly for checking video camera stuffs. Only for a couple people at a time at most I think.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

redeyes posted:

Yeah I do. Mostly for checking video camera stuffs. Only for a couple people at a time at most I think.

They are kinda bottom rung devices, both are switch chips used as routers so don't expect world record breaking performance. Have you got any experience on edgerouters or mikrotik? I'd say pick the one you are more confortable with from taking a glance at the docs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

They are kinda bottom rung devices, both are switch chips used as routers so don't expect world record breaking performance. Have you got any experience on edgerouters or mikrotik? I'd say pick the one you are more confortable with from taking a glance at the docs.

I've got a pretty good handle on Mikrotik basics. I also got an Edgerouter X just to play with. I guess the thing that stuck out to me was the Edgerouter X has hardware NAT acceleration which will probably make no difference in this situation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

See if you can wait a couple weeks and pick up an ER-4

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

redeyes posted:

I've got a pretty good handle on Mikrotik basics. I also got an Edgerouter X just to play with. I guess the thing that stuck out to me was the Edgerouter X has hardware NAT acceleration which will probably make no difference in this situation.

FastTrack would be the RouterOS analog to NAT acceleration.

I am unfamiliar with the HEX, but comparing speed tests it would crush the RB2011 I've been using without problem on 60/4 Charter Cable and a few other places.

If you intend to rely on it's IPsec performance you should ask a few questions on their forums. I know that on some other models with hardware support the performance craters when you tunnel over IPsec making it pointless.

Weird block diagrams too, if you disable the switch chip ports 1,3, and 5 share a gigabit link to the CPU and ports 2 and 4 share their own.

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750Gr3

I kind of want one for home now so I can put my hAP AC up on the wall.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Switch OS had an update:

quote:

What's new in v2.7:

*) Make some of Mikrotik DAC work in 10G mode;
*) Make SwOS work with MS Internet Explorer 11;
*) Fixed switch lockup if it was restored with specifically corrupted backup file;

and RouterOS 6.41+ has a new bridge interface with a ton of notes:

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=128915

quote:

RouterOS 6.41 contains new bridge implementation that supports hardware offloading (hw-offload).
This update will convert all interface "master-port" configuration into new bridge configuration, and eliminate "master-port" option as such.
Bridge will handle all Layer2 forwarding and the use of switch-chip (hw-offload) will be automatically turned on based on appropriate conditions.
The rest of RouterOS Switch specific configuration remains untouched in usual menus for now.
Please, note that downgrading to previous RouterOS versions will not restore "master-port" configuration, so use backups to restore configuration on downgrade.

The Wireless Wire has point to multi-point support now

I still haven't figured out why address list entries are disappearing so quickly :confused:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, you guys might be interested to hear this.

I'm that stupid rear end in a top hat that put a bunch of CCR-1072's in my core as an engineer for a small ISP and was dealing with random reboots. The issue appears to have been caused by connection tracking, which was enabled due to one router doing a really specific NAT and the other doing a bit of firewalling.

It's frankly a really weird fix to me since each router would generally only be handling about 500mb/s of traffic at peak (for a bit over 1gb/s aggregate). These are fairly badass routers so I'm weirded out to see what looks like a performance issue at such low throughput. I do have the thought that they may have been caused by DDOS attacks and am working on coming up with better ways to monitor or prevent such issues in the future.

In the next six months we're still going to move to an ASR since as an organization we just don't feel like we can trust Mikrotik for anything really important anymore.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I'm frankly surprised that the router didn't die sooner/more often doing 500+mbps of connection tracking.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Why not use some generic x86 servers with VyOS or some other Linux on them? You don't even need hardware offload for that amount of traffic, and you're not limited to Mikrotik's lovely single-threaded BGP or strange bugs from their horrible software QA.

There's also OpenBSD which has a solid MPLS implementation if you need it, and pf is the bees knees for firewall/NAT.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 3, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

unknown posted:

I'm frankly surprised that the router didn't die sooner/more often doing 500+mbps of connection tracking.

It's one of those situations where it's just the way things had always worked and I went along with it during configuration because I didn't fully understand how Mikrotik deals with connection tracking. There's other changes I've been wanting to make to our firewalling that feel a bit more pressing these days.

SamDabbers posted:

If you're doing less than 1Gbps, why not use some generic x86 servers with VyOS or some other Linux on them? You don't even need hardware offload for that amount of traffic.

Because our bandwidth usage has grown by like 30% in the past 8 months or so and the increase is only likely to accelerate- this is only looking at IP transit as well and ignores other services we're offering like transport for AWS Direct Connect. Given some of the clients we're onboarding I wouldn't be surprised if our transit usage alone is at 2-3 gbps by this time next year. We've been able to leverage a sort of unique city fiber buildout to start picking up some really big clients.

There's also some more complicated business stuff where we sold ourselves to a larger company in the area but are still basically independent. They'll be functionally using as as an upstream for stuff destined for the bay area and I believe they're up near the 5gb/s range.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Moving from switch's master-port to bridge will completely gently caress over VLANs on CRS units. Mark my words.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I have to do what I presume is a simple install of a MikroTik to a Spectrum home cable modem configuration. Supposedly a 2200 sq ft. residence with a couple of Ethernet runs. Having never used Ubiquiti, would I be better off trying to use their stuff instead at this point? Or just continue using something like the hAP AC?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I have to do what I presume is a simple install of a MikroTik to a Spectrum home cable modem configuration. Supposedly a 2200 sq ft. residence with a couple of Ethernet runs. Having never used Ubiquiti, would I be better off trying to use their stuff instead at this point? Or just continue using something like the hAP AC?

Both have advantages. I prefer Mikrotik for its ease of management. Not needing a specific computer with java is a huge plus. Mikrotik has a web interface like other consumer routers. Setup and config takes a couple minutes. For 2200 Sq ft, one hAP AC would do great if you could centrally located it. I use one for my 2800 sq ft house with frame walls. Works flawlessly.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

Both have advantages. I prefer Mikrotik for its ease of management. Not needing a specific computer with java is a huge plus. Mikrotik has a web interface like other consumer routers. Setup and config takes a couple minutes. For 2200 Sq ft, one hAP AC would do great if you could centrally located it. I use one for my 2800 sq ft house with frame walls. Works flawlessly.

Thanks. I'm thinking one hAP AC and if more coverage is needed, pick up a wAP AC and make it a repeater.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 5, 2018

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Anecdotally, I've had 0 issues with my (Spectrum-powered) home network after buying an hAP AC. I use WinBox to administer it, but the web interface is super easy to get up and running with.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Alright, one more thing. I cocked up my MikroTik and had to reset/manually reconfigure. Sadly my last backup was from May of 2017. Now that I have it back in working order, what are folks doing for maintaining MikroTik backups? Specifically compact exports (gently caress actual backups as they're clearly useless.) I'm looking around on Google at people who are using elaborate scripts that e-mail themselves scheduled backups. I'm not sure I want something that elaborate, maybe just something that uses the scheduler to do a compact export to internal storage?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I just save a copy in KeePass when I make configuration changes. I don't make many changes so this works fine.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Alright, one more thing. I cocked up my MikroTik and had to reset/manually reconfigure. Sadly my last backup was from May of 2017. Now that I have it back in working order, what are folks doing for maintaining MikroTik backups? Specifically compact exports (gently caress actual backups as they're clearly useless.) I'm looking around on Google at people who are using elaborate scripts that e-mail themselves scheduled backups. I'm not sure I want something that elaborate, maybe just something that uses the scheduler to do a compact export to internal storage?

Rancid has a Mikrotik device type and has been completely amazing since I got it set up a few months ago. The initial setup is sort of a pain but after that it's incredibly easy to manage.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I got a hEX v3 to go along with some Ubiquiti APs for a simple home/cable modem setup and I’m really happy with the combination.

RouterOS makes a lot more sense to me than EdgeOS did on the EdgeRouter X that I tested out, and I like being able to disable a lot of packages to hide functionality that I don’t expect I’ll ever use.

I played around with the Dude Server stuff a bit and turned on some graphs; is there anything else interesting that I should check out in addition to my pretty simple firewall/nat/dhcp config? My clients are just some desktop/laptop PCs and iOS devices so I haven’t felt any need for VLANs or anything yet. Any downside to running a VPN server on the router so I can get to my home network stuff while I’m out of the house?

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I've got a MikroTik RB951G-2HND that is only 2 years old, but it seems to be crapping out or something. Starting 3-4 days ago, I noticed my phone was having trouble connecting - it would say "connecting" then the network would quickly disappear, reappear, and it would just cycle doing that. Restarting the router or re-initializing the wireless (by changing modes) resolved it temporarily, but this problem pops up every 1-2 days. I've also noticed that if I leave something running overnight on my hardwired desktop, 2 of the last 4 nights I've woken up to a disconnection. What's going on here? How can I troubleshoot it? I'm on RouterOS v6.41. It's been rock solid up until now, just typical residential use.

I've looked at the logs but nothing really jumps out at me - I see fairly regular wlan entries for "disconnected, extensive data loss" but I figured that's just when one of us leaves the apartment and goes out of range or something.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 20, 2018