Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

I mean "inventory full" is probably the most annoying notification in video games, but that's not exactly a solution to it

A flag on the HUD or at least on the main menu would go a looooong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

LMAO I'm sure they'll get inventories straightened out in the next Xenoblade game. Fourth time's a charm!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Why can we skip the second part of the blade summoning animation but not the first part

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why can we skip the second part of the blade summoning animation but not the first part

Why does the slot machine slowly pass by the 7s?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Holy poo poo, I just figured out how to get to the Fief of Forgetfulness and I feel like a straight-up detective, definitely would have never even attempted to get down there if it werent for the Bracer quest and wait a minute the game does what with accessories

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

chumbler posted:

Why does the slot machine slowly pass by the 7s?

To incentivize spending more money.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
There's a hard cap of something around 200 (256?) accessories so when you end up with 30 Break Stones in a few minutes from smashing every 15 seconds any future accessories are vaporized when you touch them. Not sure why it doesn't use x/99 like everything else. So now you actually have to go sell frequently and consult a spreadsheet to know which items supersede what since there is no category sorting.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The big chapter seven event happened and ooooh god damnit I'm regretting not giving 5 more of the guaranteed rare blades. I think there's a few I haven't went for yet (like the ATK one of the twins and the giant dragon-lady) so I'm probably fine though.

Also thanks for mentioning the accessories thing, I had no clue and checked my inventory and I was getting pretty close.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 3, 2018

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

100 hours in and have just realised you can control someone other than Rex in battle.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm 50 hours into the game and am just now getting to Fonsett. I've been enjoying my time with the game but I can really see hating it if you didn't have unlimited free time like I do over the winter break. Also, I definitely think each area has been of lesser and lesser quality, with Gormott being the peak of the exploration experience and now the Fonsett continent being just kind of absolute poo poo. I'm sort of at a point right now where I'm considering rushing forward to get the final party member and beginning to become the Gacha King

e: also Gachapon sounds like he should be a main character

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
jesus christ, just get Zeke already. The game is still in the kids glove stage before you get him.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Beat the level 117 superboss, just have two more to go. One being the ch10 spoiler mecha rear end in a top hat who appears where you fought Amalthus, and I need to setup my team so I can immediately seal reinforcements on them and the other being the lvl 130 target.

I hope that if/when they do a NG+ that they add some more crazy boss fights. Considering they mentioned wanting to let you use 'those blades' which I assume refers to Malos and others, since they all have fully designed movesets and specials they need to add some extra brutal bosses to use your new toys against.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm pretty sure the first part is part of the load screen like cappy chatting when you travel between kingdoms in Mario Odyssey (skip it and you just sit at a load screen). And like with Mario Odyssey sometimes it's not enough so you still see a brief load screen anyways. :confuoot:

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

You'll probably be disappointed by the level 130 superboss. I actually did him first for fun, and while it took a couple deaths because of my level at the time, he's really pretty tame if you know to iframe one very obvious attack.

I actually ended up doing the level 117 guy last. Not by design, it's just sort of how it ended up happening. And I felt like that was the most fun fight.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm 50 hours into the game and am just now getting to Fonsett. I've been enjoying my time with the game but I can really see hating it if you didn't have unlimited free time like I do over the winter break. Also, I definitely think each area has been of lesser and lesser quality, with Gormott being the peak of the exploration experience and now the Fonsett continent being just kind of absolute poo poo. I'm sort of at a point right now where I'm considering rushing forward to get the final party member and beginning to become the Gacha King

e: also Gachapon sounds like he should be a main character

You're going to get him pretty soon, just focus on plot for now.

And yeah, Leftheria is kinda lame.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It is somehow not the worst zone.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Time for a stupid question. I'm doing Ursula's Infinite Merc Mission grind and I've hit a snag.

I'm supposed to get Vocal/Looks/Soul up to lv 4, yet the Merc Missions only go up to 2. I've tried doing the second one a couple more times and I've gotten the levels all up to 3, but I'm up to like 8 badges of each and they're not increasing anymore. :confused: What am I doing wrong?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

You have to get like 35 of each. Basically, it's nothing but repeating the previous number endlessly until the next number appears.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Time for a stupid question. I'm doing Ursula's Infinite Merc Mission grind and I've hit a snag.

I'm supposed to get Vocal/Looks/Soul up to lv 4, yet the Merc Missions only go up to 2. I've tried doing the second one a couple more times and I've gotten the levels all up to 3, but I'm up to like 8 badges of each and they're not increasing anymore. :confused: What am I doing wrong?

The mission levels have no relation whatsoever to your level in those skills. Unlocking mission 3 gives you enough stamps to be level 4 in that skill getting to mission level 4 youll be rank 6.

The first four tiers of ursula are ok to grind out, its her final tier thats an insane hell grind with no warning or reason.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope that if/when they do a NG+ that they add some more crazy boss fights. Considering they mentioned wanting to let you use 'those blades' which I assume refers to Malos and others, since they all have fully designed movesets and specials they need to add some extra brutal bosses to use your new toys against.

"Those blades" almost certainly refers to having access to Miss Green Self Combo Queen and Healbot 5000 for the full game

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I thought "those blades" were referring to the likes of the blades Malos and Akhos had before you disintegrated them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah "those" blades are Obrona, Sever, and Patroka/Mikhails that show up for all of 3 seconds for sure. I highly, highly doubt they're going to let you use the actual torna team.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

voltcatfish posted:

You have to get like 35 of each. Basically, it's nothing but repeating the previous number endlessly until the next number appears.

And just in case it isn't clear, you have to get 99 (or is it 90?) of each in order to actually reach tier 5. I figure it's good to know this up front.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

emoji posted:

There's a hard cap of something around 200 (256?) accessories so when you end up with 30 Break Stones in a few minutes from smashing every 15 seconds any future accessories are vaporized when you touch them. Not sure why it doesn't use x/99 like everything else. So now you actually have to go sell frequently and consult a spreadsheet to know which items supersede what since there is no category sorting.

But you can get 999 of each accessory.... I don't understand

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
They need to adjust the rare drop rate. Something is really screwy with it.

I wonder if the way the Ideas are calculated into the drop ends up screwing you once you have a moderate number of them.

This may have been mentioned before but it really looks like Orb Master gives any special a chance to apply an Orb. I consistently get Mythra laying Orbs in her combos. I've gotten 3 orbs out of the Light/Thunder/Fire combo (with rare blades), etc.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

But you can get 999 of each accessory.... I don't understand

Driver accessories, not aux cores. For whatever reason item manage for those is different from every other item and broken.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

LMAO I'm sure they'll get inventories straightened out in the next Xenoblade game. Fourth time's a charm!

I think I like this game, but it's my first Xenoblade and I honestly don't think I'll be playing a second

Like as much as I like about the game there's so much dumb poo poo to dislike

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
honestly the postgame boss fights in this game would be fine if they had some kind of anti 8-and-done mechanic. they could take a page out of persona 3's postgame boss and just slap 10m hp onto their last phase with the intention that you have to save orbs for it, but that feels somewhat cheap.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think I like this game, but it's my first Xenoblade and I honestly don't think I'll be playing a second

Like as much as I like about the game there's so much dumb poo poo to dislike

I'm in the same boat. The game overall is just engaging enough to keep me playing it, but it's hard for me to get over the extreme anime-ness of it; the dozens of unnecessary and inscrutable game mechanics; the sub-par user interface/experience; and the surface-level treatment of what could be a much richer world-building narrative.

Combat can be fun, if a little slow to get going at the beginning of every fight (and it took me far too long to wrap my ahead around how all of it functions), and I'm actually okay with most of the voice acting apart from the weird nopon stuff--most characters don't sound like they're forcing a voice, which is something that far too many anime dubs are guilty of.

I think the game has been pretty solid proof to me that I've kinda grown tired of anime-rear end animes, and JRPGs, and all their associated baggage.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

404notfound posted:

I think the game has been pretty solid proof to me that I've kinda grown tired of anime-rear end animes, and JRPGs, and all their associated baggage.

I'm still enjoying XBC2, but Tales of Berseria worked hard to rub my nose in on that fact for myself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Y'all got some really weird hang ups.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to tell everyone in this thread's friends and relatives that they like anime. Also terrible UIs have nothing to do with whether or not something is anime.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

chumbler posted:

I'm going to tell everyone in this thread's friends and relatives that they like anime. Also terrible UIs have nothing to do with whether or not something is anime.

No, the costumes and the way the story works is anime. I'm so loving tired of hearing about the "real power" of things, good god. I've just finished Chapter 7 and the end of it was such a stupid tedious cutscene. It was like watching that Anime Basketball sketch, it's just so stereotypical.

Also I liked Leftheria, it's a really cool design! The smaller story related titans are the rubbish ones, like Temperantia.

quote:

I'm in the same boat. The game overall is just engaging enough to keep me playing it, but it's hard for me to get over the extreme anime-ness of it; the dozens of unnecessary and inscrutable game mechanics; the sub-par user interface/experience; and the surface-level treatment of what could be a much richer world-building narrative.
I keep finishing a chapter and I'm looking at my phone rather than paying attention to the cutscene, then thinking "Why am I bothering?". But then something will catch my eye and I'll carry on because I enjoy the way the rest of the game works...I think?

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 3, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Anime is a bullshit descriptor as anime encompasses many genres.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
anime...is good

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Anime is a bullshit descriptor as anime encompasses many genres.

It's not and the only people who think that are people who love it. Xenoblade cutscenes are all this and most people would understand this style to fit what's being said when people call the game "anime".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Reiterpallasch posted:

anime...is good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Taear posted:

It's not and the only people who think that are people who love it. Xenoblade cutscenes are all this and most people would understand this style to fit what's being said when people call the game "anime".

A lot of people are dumb yeah.

They also tend to try and explain why the thing they like isn't anime, like XB1.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 3, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of people are dumb yeah.

They also tend to try and explain why the thing they like isn't anime, like XB1.

XB1 is still anime, it's just nothing even close to this. Or to the last game.
Other people know exactly what it means when you say something is "really anime" in the same way as you'd understand it if a person said something was "like a soap opera". Sure it doesn't mean 100% the same thing from person to person but it's enough to understand.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I don't know much about anime in general, so can't speak to what is or isn't a cliche, but I'm enjoying the goofiness of XC2. It feels a lot less self-serious than a lot of similar games I've played in the past, even when it's being overly dramatic. I have no idea how much of this was in there to begin with and how much is the translation leaning into it. And while some of the character design is a bit iffy (or a lot iffy) some of it is actually pretty good and I like the fact that they're using a lot of different styles and artists and that every rare blade has it's own distinctive idle animations etc (Degas pulling out a throne being the highlight so far). Despite some flaws and annoyances I'm enjoying it more as I go one, as opposed to X, which I enjoyed less as it went on despite loving the premise and setup.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

emoji posted:

I wish the game would tell you your inventory is full instead of silently discarding items if you have too many accessories, which is super easy to do when you're smashing things.

This game is just a bit off in every way. There's so much good stuff. But the way everything is implemented is just awkward and infuriating and wrong.

I don't think I've ever been this annoyed by a video game before. It's just good enough to keep me playing but goddamn am I kinda wishing it wasn't.