Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Exposing Marchessault is looking like one of the purest bad moves in NHL history.

It's so much worse that they traded Reilly Smith for a 4th round pick and a promise to take JAM in the expansion draft. That whole move is up there with Forsberg for Erat, Rask for Raycroft, and McDonagh for Gomez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fits posted:

friendship ended with EDMONTON

now VEGAS is my new best friend

With the Habs in the tank I am unashamedly rooting for VGK and the Preds.

Gotta spice it up.

I really hope that their success attracts the fans, and that the enthusiasm doesn't plummet off once the Raiders move in.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

are you accounting for the 63 mil over 6 year's evander kane is gonna get?

Not to mention the 5 year $27.5M extension Gudbranson gets when no one is willing to trade for him at the deadline.

By the end of the year Francesco Aquillini will have poured around $220,000,000 in payroll alone into a team that has managed an average of 73 points a year. That's a million bucks a point!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Ken Holland is retiring after this season, let sources.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

AsInHowe posted:

are the sources close to the family?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

stab posted:

are the sources close to the family?

Multiple families, yes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/948574492154097665

:ussr:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

AsInHowe posted:

So Ken Holland will be GM for two more years and then die. Got it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJ on pace for 98 points at halfway. I'll take it.

I'm gonna hate myself later if this post becomes a jinx, but 3rd is doable this season.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

i am the bird posted:

So Ken Holland will be GM for two more years and then die. Got it.

Sources report he's willing to waive his NMC for heaven, but not hell.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Varlamov has still beaten more people.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

:discourse:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/948551299775303681

Let's play "Where's Iceburgh?" :lol:

Zodijackylite posted:

:thurman:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm gonna hate myself later if this post becomes a jinx, but 3rd is doable this season.

I don't think he will but I also don't mean that in a "Columbus is bad" way. That'd put him at 40+ wins this year and generally only a handful of guys hit that mark - although honestly this year it's looking like more guys than usual might do it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Safe Is Death" Is Dead:

quote:

An alarming sight in the Blue Jackets' dressing room on Monday: The sign that reads “Safe Is Death” was no longer hanging above the main entry door, but was instead leaned against the wall above the cabinets where stick tape is stored.

John Tortorella's mantra, one he's carried from his earliest days as an NHL coach in Tampa Bay, has died, a casualty of the Blue Jackets' sloppy play of late. Tortorella took the sign down today when he addressed the team before they took the ice for the longest practice of the season — 1 hour, 15 minutes.

https://theathletic.com/200188/2018/01/01/safe-is-death-has-died-blue-jackets-hope-less-risk-will-bring-reward/

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think he will but I also don't mean that in a "Columbus is bad" way. That'd put him at 40+ wins this year and generally only a handful of guys hit that mark - although honestly this year it's looking like more guys than usual might do it.

I guess I thought he had a couple more wins than he did, but he's at 19. I didn't figure Korpisalo had 4 wins.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zodijackylite posted:

:lol:

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/948553690276868097

I still think Pittsburgh turns it around and is nasty in the playoffs.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

:vince:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well...

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jordan7hm posted:

With the right trade deadline acquisition maybe.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

As I told rex in the GDT last week, I won't be convinced Pittsburgh is dead until I have video evidence that they're on the bad end of a handshake line.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

This is every goddamn year with the Rangers

No they're not going to go "fully bad". Yes they'll hit a rough spot, yes they'll probably not get out of the second round of the playoffs if they even manage to win the first one, they're a loving weird team built on defying advanced stats for some hosed up reason and after being like this for basically every year under AV I think we can guess what we're going to get

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/948602299642990598

Guess which Bruin that is!

No cheating.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The Islanders sure have been "fun"

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

CBJSprague24 posted:

As I told rex in the GDT last week, I won't be convinced Pittsburgh is dead until I have video evidence that they're on the bad end of a handshake line.

:shrug: On the one hand they haven't been very good this year. On the other hand they are vaguely hanging around the WC2 spot right now and only 6pts back from CBJ with the same games played and trusting the Isles or Carolina to put it together for that WC spot....well we've seen that show before (it ends with really bad goaltending and missing). With Schultz and Letang back last night the d core is so much better and Oleksiak pushing Hunwick out of the line up is a huge plus. I haven't seen anything about Domoulin or Jarry so hopefully they're OK after last night. The team is still flawed, but most of the Metro seems to be in one way or another and if they can shore up the bottom 6 (Reaves and Kuhnackl are very bad) and keep the d healthy yeah they're probably dangerous.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/blackhawks/blackhawks-uniform-voted-greatest-nhl-history
Chicago has the best uniforms?

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Starting to think that one of Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds is gone before Hakstol is

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

This is every goddamn year with the Rangers

No they're not going to go "fully bad". Yes they'll hit a rough spot, yes they'll probably not get out of the second round of the playoffs if they even manage to win the first one, they're a loving weird team built on defying advanced stats for some hosed up reason and after being like this for basically every year under AV I think we can guess what we're going to get

AV recently mentioned again that they use advanced stats that go beyond these. Shot location/situation/quality metrics.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/948616607051460610
https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/948617796300214272

I like this guy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Starting to think that one of Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds is gone before Hakstol is

This will happen. Philadelphia can't have nice things.

Also, me after last night's game:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised to see Simmonds moved before the end of the year. He's going to be due for a very big contact after next season and much as I love Wayne, I don't want to be the team paying it when he's over 30.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Filip Forsberg out at least 4-6 weeks. Not good for the Preds.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I don't really understand the chart to be honest but it appears to be "who is way luckier than expected" so my guess is Backes or Heinen

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Zodijackylite posted:

AV recently mentioned again that they use advanced stats that go beyond these. Shot location/situation/quality metrics.

The counter argument is always "those have been shown to be not as effective"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't really understand the chart to be honest but it appears to be "who is way luckier than expected" so my guess is Backes or Heinen

GF% and xGF% are team stats. xGF% is based on wizardry like shot quality and type which isn't easily put into numbers or visualized or understood or understandable.

It's Grzelcyk, somehow. The one further and down and more to the right is Marchand.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

GF% and xGF% are team stats. xGF% is based on wizardry like shot quality and type which isn't easily put into numbers or visualized or understood or understandable.

It's Grzelcyk, somehow. The one further and down and more to the right is Marchand.

you know, I forget Grzelcyk is even on the loving team half the time even though the Bruins play a lot of nationally televised games so you get to hear "did you know his dad DRIVES THE ZAMBONI?!?" ten thousand times per broadcast

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Watching the Bower memorial is god drat heartbreaking

RIP you beautiful goalie grandpa :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/948644997296984067

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

:yeah: don't let him go

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
It sure would be something to see Vegas buy at the deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
marchessault owns and i'm still upset that the rangers didn't keep him in their organization

• Locked thread