Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/948280316300374016

Whelp. Someone leapfrogged the Switch homebrew guys from the other week. Permanent CFW for switch coming Spring.

On the one hand: I want dem snes/nes/n64 emulators. If the 3ds is anything to go by, Nintendo is going to take way too long to do it themselves

On the other hand: I really don’t want the switch to be the next PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dehry posted:

Whelp. Someone leapfrogged the Switch homebrew guys from the other week. Permanent CFW for switch coming Spring.

Why do all of these websites always look like some shady poo poo from 2002 full of russian malware, jesus

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i don't think i've read the word 'warez' in years

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

On the one hand: I want dem snes/nes/n64 emulators. If the 3ds is anything to go by, Nintendo is going to take way too long to do it themselves

On the other hand: I really don’t want the switch to be the next PSP.

Same. I rather not have something like the PSP where Sony and third parties start to just give up on the system after piracy starts to get bad.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'd be delighted if we can get emulators up and running on the switch, which is mostly what I use homebrew for. Less enthused at the prospect of yet more rampant piracy a la the thoroughly pwnd 3ds

E: didn't the original author of freeshop turn out to be a convicted paedophile too?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Rirse posted:

Same. I rather not have something like the PSP where Sony and third parties start to just give up on the system after piracy starts to get bad.

I don't think you'll need to worry about that. The PSP was the thing to own in Japan despite being broken wide open. The PS2 was the thing to own everywhere despite modchips being ubiquitous. If Nintendo can keep up the quality despite blowing their Mario and Zelda cards so early then the Switch will be fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I wouldn't worry about it too much. Music sales still thrive despite music piracy being a thing for 30 years. Box office still booms despite Kodi add ons. Everyone I knew IRL with a Wii had theirs hacked and I didn't hear about it destroying the system's sales. On Android all you have to do is allow APKs to be installed and you can get anything for free. The average joe doesn't wanna mess around with game piracy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think it's also important to note that gaming has largely "solved" the issue with piracy, in that the pirated copy used to be more convenient than the non-pirated copy, and this took many forms (and still manifests itself on occasion with "online only" games which are only DRM checking, or copy protection which slows down the system). More to the point, you lost nothing with a pirated PSP game, there were no trophies/cheevos and very little online to worry about that would get your account banned. Hell, almost no PSP games had updates, either. Now most games actually use online functionality in multiple forms, even if it's just trophies, cloud saves and updates.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I think it's also important to note that gaming has largely "solved" the issue with piracy, in that the pirated copy used to be more convenient than the non-pirated copy, and this took many forms (and still manifests itself on occasion with "online only" games which are only DRM checking, or copy protection which slows down the system). More to the point, you lost nothing with a pirated PSP game, there were no trophies/cheevos and very little online to worry about that would get your account banned. Hell, almost no PSP games had updates, either. Now most games actually use online functionality in multiple forms, even if it's just trophies, cloud saves and updates.

You also gained a lot by pirating on the psp. Mainly battery life.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You also gained a lot by pirating on the psp. Mainly battery life.

Right, not having to drive a motor to get your UMD spinning was a big power saver.

Now most games are pretty much as convenient as they'll get in their legal copies. Exceptions are few and mostly on PC due to copy protection overhead that goes away when a game is cracked.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Right, not having to drive a motor to get your UMD spinning was a big power saver.

Now most games are pretty much as convenient as they'll get in their legal copies. Exceptions are few and mostly on PC due to copy protection overhead that goes away when a game is cracked.

Also a huge benefit was having every PSP game you could want installed on the system at once instead of carrying a case of UMDs around.

That being said, I buy nothing digital on the Switch. I only buy physical (only buying digital when I have no choice) because I don't trust Nintendo in 30 years to let me re-download anything. It might seem nuts but I'm playing 30 year old games these days.

"Piracy" leads to digital-only titles not being lost forever.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Switch and 3DS games are a special case for me as well since especially first-party they never go on significant sale, so there's a weird bit of value retention. I also just don't trust how Nintendo handles digital ownership mostly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:3:

https://twitter.com/NicMagnier/status/948118699738914816

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Also a huge benefit was having every PSP game you could want installed on the system at once instead of carrying a case of UMDs around.

That being said, I buy nothing digital on the Switch. I only buy physical (only buying digital when I have no choice) because I don't trust Nintendo in 30 years to let me re-download anything. It might seem nuts but I'm playing 30 year old games these days.

"Piracy" leads to digital-only titles not being lost forever.

I buy some digital for convenience sometimes. I’m not worried about down the line since worse to worse I’ll be able to redownload those games through “piracy”.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaixj0fR858

The dudes who made a fan expansion to NSMWii have made one now for the DS entry with 80 unique levels. I didn't try the Wii one, but this looks good in the trailer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does it run on real DS hardware? I have no real interest in playing on PC

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah it does run on real hardware.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Switch and 3DS games are a special case for me as well since especially first-party they never go on significant sale, so there's a weird bit of value retention. I also just don't trust how Nintendo handles digital ownership mostly.

And then you get cases like when I had Cave Story for my 3DS for $20 and it went for like $150 on ebay so I obviously sold it. Woulda been screwed with the digital release.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I buy some digital for convenience sometimes. I’m not worried about down the line since worse to worse I’ll be able to redownload those games through “piracy”.

That's been the case for a long time but consider how difficult it has been to hack recent consoles. The Xbox One has never been hacked at all, and it very well may never be. The Wii was hacked in months but the Wii U took until almost the end of its lifespan. Same thing with the DS and 3DS. I would not be surprised to see some consoles never, ever hacked.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Dehry posted:

I haven't looked any deeper into it, but I'm guessing it's another backdoor Nintendo left in like they did on the 3DS, which is why the method is "futureproof".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

repiv posted:

Yeah it does run on real hardware.

Yeah, it just requires you to patch the NSM rom.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

m2pt5 posted:

I haven't looked any deeper into it, but I'm guessing it's another backdoor Nintendo left in like they did on the 3DS, which is why the method is "futureproof".

I doubt it won't be some sort of mod chip because team xecuter releases products, not hacks (so to speak)

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Is it possible that using Specter to attack the Switch cpu would allow it to be hacked to oblivion by obtaining keys and whatever? I'm pretty sure the Switch is vulnerable, since loving EVERYTHING is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stink Terios posted:

Is it possible that using Specter to attack the Switch cpu would allow it to be hacked to oblivion by obtaining keys and whatever? I'm pretty sure the Switch is vulnerable, since loving EVERYTHING is.

The Switch doesn't contain the keys we'd need to sign custom code, those only exist in a vault at Nintendo HQ.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Huh, too bad.
Unless they hack the vault :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just ordered an original 2DS from Nintendo cause I'm a weirdo and love that form factor. I'm thinking of homebrewing it since I still have my New 3DS. I'm mostly interested in home brewing the o2DS to play GB and GBA roms. Do GBA games run well on o2DS?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

They run as well as they would on a regular GBA.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Perfect. I suppose I'll refer back to this thread when mine comes in and I run into more questions.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Running windows 98 on my wii u it's a trip

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/950003287062974465

I think this makes a 3rd group hacking the switch.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Running windows 98 on my switch it's a trip

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I recently picked up a fan translation cart of Retro Game Challenge 2 for DS. Would the region free mod/homebrew channel allow me to play this cart on my old america (or japanese) 3DS XL?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
If it is a DS game and not a DSi Enhanced or DSi exclusive game it should have no region locking at all.

Flagrama fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 8, 2018

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Though as a non-licensed game it might not be recognized by the 3DS anyway.

Edit: Methods to play incompatible flashcarts would probably work. (NTR Launcher, TWLoader)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Flagrama posted:

If it is a DS game and not a DSi Enhanced or DSi exclusive game it should have no region locking at all.

Has any Homebrew found a way to access DSi enhanced stuff or region locking at all? Has the DSi even been hacked or is it just a lack of interest that keeps it that way?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wamdoodle posted:

Has any Homebrew found a way to access DSi enhanced stuff or region locking at all? Has the DSi even been hacked or is it just a lack of interest that keeps it that way?

People have been attempting to hack the DSi for ages. It's kinda funny it is taking longer than the 3DS did.

A hack has finally been found (custom firmware) but not released yet. The hacking guides out there right now just get your firmware down to a vulnerable one (you have to already have had Flipnote Studio installed on it though).

This is why I always download any and every free app on any gaming platform. You never know if the PS4 MySpace app will be what's required to crack the system wide open.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
So I installed CFW according to 3ds.guide but I can't seem to boot my fan translation DS cart of RGC2. What exactly am I missing? Should I be booting from a particular app or something?

edit: nevermind, I installed TWLoader and it seems to work

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 9, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Running windows 98 on my switch it's a trip

My dream is a port of Dosbox for the switch on day.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Do Switch games on an SD card have files that can be modified? For example Skyrim doesn't have official mod support, but is there anything stopping you from manually replacing assets or modifying config files(does it even have config files on Switch)?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Do Switch games on an SD card have files that can be modified? For example Skyrim doesn't have official mod support, but is there anything stopping you from manually replacing assets or modifying config files(does it even have config files on Switch)?

It would fail an integrity check I bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/950003287062974465

I think this makes a 3rd group hacking the switch.

I gotta be honest... if I drop $400 on a Switch (at least in Canada), the last thing I'm going to do is gently caress with it and mod it.

3 years from now, sure. Godspeed you crazy bastards.