Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That would have been a good comedy about having a kid. You know, if the main character got an abortion and nothing at all changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I'm laughing already!

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
What if the dad... got stoned at the abortion clinic?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The girl and the doctor somberly discuss the procedure of an abortion, including the health risks to the mother, and the moral implications while Seth rogen sits there and keeps farting and says things like “gently caress that one fuckin stinks” and “goddamn I need to check my drawers I think some leaked out”

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Solice Kirsk posted:

That would have been a good comedy about having a kid. You know, if the main character got an abortion and nothing at all changed.

Sadly we got "Knocked Up," which was a terrible movie when it came out, and is worse now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gaunab posted:

I could crosspost this in the irritating movie moments thread but Knocked Up has not aged well.

Knocked Up has always been a horrible movie, and it was awful enough to have been responsible for my first feminist inklings.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The sequel “This is 40” was pretty awesome though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Krispy Wafer posted:

The sequel “This is 40” was pretty awesome though.

The only thing I know about this movie is that the main characters meet I think 3 Philadelphia Flyers, and one of them takes out his false teeth that he got after getting smashed in the face with a puck. Sounds like a pretty good movie to me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Loved watching the Doctor Who episode "The Long Game" which has a subplot of one of the companions (who is from the year 2012 at the time of the episode aired in 2005) who uses a flipphone that been enhanced to dial at any point in history to their house to call his answering machine to store it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

The only thing I know about this movie is that the main characters meet I think 3 Philadelphia Flyers, and one of them takes out his false teeth that he got after getting smashed in the face with a puck. Sounds like a pretty good movie to me.

And then Megan Fox puts the teeth in her own mouth.

It's really not that great a movie unless you're also 40 and can relate to it.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's a movie like this already. It's called Palindromes. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362004/

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Man, I hadn't seen Back to the Future II since probably VHS, but I'm taking the day off sick and watching it now and talk about not aging well. Still entertaining I guess, but for entirely different reasons.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

Man, I hadn't seen Back to the Future II since probably VHS, but I'm taking the day off sick and watching it now and talk about not aging well. Still entertaining I guess, but for entirely different reasons.

Back to the Future 2 was the best Back to the Future.

Is it the fact that 2015 wasn't as cool as expected? Because Blader Runner is going to look pretty sad come 2019 unless Trump kicks dystopia up a notch.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is it the fact that 2015 wasn't as cool as expected? Because Blader Runner is going to look pretty sad come 2019 unless Trump kicks dystopia up a notch.

Basically, yeah. Where are my flying cars?! :mad:

Though I guess they knew they were making a crazy version of the future for effect, knowing it would be almost entirely inaccurate. Still amusing though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We still got two years for everything to get all orange and bleak.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is this poo poo not dystopian enough for yall assholes

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I loved Knocked Up at the time. Haven't revisited it since. The funniest line from it that still makes me chuckle is "the little kid going You know what I googled last night? Murder."

Lost in Translation was (is?) my favorite movie, but I'm real scared of all the uncomfortable race stuff I probably missed so I haven't gone back to that either.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I mean the mega Corp poo poo is spot on. And thr cops being hired thugs for them

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ReidRansom posted:

Basically, yeah. Where are my flying cars?! :mad:

Though I guess they knew they were making a crazy version of the future for effect, knowing it would be almost entirely inaccurate. Still amusing though.

I've just read a three page derail in the schadenfreude thread because people are arguing about driving in snow. You want to let the motherfuckers fly?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Ambitious Spider posted:

Lost in Translation was (is?) my favorite movie, but I'm real scared of all the uncomfortable race stuff I probably missed so I haven't gone back to that either.

I watched it for the first time recently. In terms of dated racist stuff it’s not that bad. It’s mostly just cultural misunderstandings. The hooker scene was a bit cringeworthy though.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Gaunab posted:

Reading up on it, Heigl's comments about the film were true but taken out of context:

Also Hiegl's character turning her life upside down because she got knocked up by a lazy stoner she has no connection with.

I think the real version of Knocked Up would go right up until the discussion where both of them find out they aren't a good fit, then the woman finding out she's pregnant, then remembers that the father is some rear end in a top hat who farts on pillows and has two thousand dollars in the bank, then asks her sister for a loan and gets an abortion and moves on with life. Seriously, there is nobody in the loving world in her position that would say 'I need this muppet in my life because of my baby.' She would dump him and that fetus faster than a hot chicken mcnugget and with about as much emotion.

If anything, the whole thing should be called 'Wrap It Up' and have her bitching as she recovers, vowing to only date non-muppet men from that point forward.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
But there was a hole in her heart that only love could fill.

I liked the move. And it's still not even the worst Katherine Heigl movie about finding yourself with unwanted children. That would be Life as We Know It where she inherits Christina Hendricks baby.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's just sad that her career peaked when she was about 14, with Under Siege 2.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Solice Kirsk posted:

We still got two years for everything to get all orange and bleak.

But we already elected Trump.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Sunswipe posted:

It's just sad that her career peaked when she was about 14, with Under Siege 2.

And then tanked a year later with My Father the Hero, which is hella creepy.

I was listening to a podcast about the film the other day and apparently she was 15 when the thong scene was filmed. That’s just weird.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Knocked Up was just a vehicle for Judd Apatow to kiss up to his high pitched wife and have various characters shower praise and compliments upon her. Dude is almost as whipped as Morgan Spurlock

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It did have the scene where Rogan says, "he better get back in there or he's gonna miss out on the rest of the draft" and I thought that was pretty funny.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Chrpno posted:

Knocked Up was just a vehicle for Judd Apatow to kiss up to his high pitched wife and have various characters shower praise and compliments upon her. Dude is almost as whipped as Morgan Spurlock

:chloe:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't really get the hate for Knocked Up. I remember liking it well enough when I saw it and I don't think it was trying to be huge morality play so much as focusing on immaturity and how hard it is to have a kid, especially with someone you didn't plan on having one with.

it was fine and seemed to poo poo on everyone equally.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

When making the 2015 of Back to the Future, they knew that their predictions would probably end up wildly innacurate. So they chose to go into the full blown wild never gonna happen figure instead. So their intentions aged well.

So weird that the "future" of BTTF2 was three years ago.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

When making the 2015 of Back to the Future, they knew that their predictions would probably end up wildly innacurate. So they chose to go into the full blown wild never gonna happen figure instead. So their intentions aged well.

So weird that the "future" of BTTF2 was three years ago.

When you think about it, 2015 Biff was probably only a couple of years from a political run...

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

y i k e s

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I posted about this on the first page! :argh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't really get the hate for Knocked Up. I remember liking it well enough when I saw it and I don't think it was trying to be huge morality play so much as focusing on immaturity and how hard it is to have a kid, especially with someone you didn't plan on having one with.

The last good movie Seth Rogen was in was Donnie Darko.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Olive! posted:

I posted about this on the first page! :argh:

Most threads that are 50+ pages just tend to start repeating themselves

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

It didn't take that long for people to repeat the points I made about Married With Children. And honestly...who really cares? More often than not they either give another perspective or bring it back up at another time for more people to play around with the idea.

Krispy Wafer posted:

When you think about it, 2015 Biff was probably only a couple of years from a political run...

And in hindsight Biff wasn't really as cowardly as Trump is turning out to be. You don't see Biff firing people via FedEx either, or constantly backing down after making nuclear threats to various countries that aren't run by white people.

I guess what I'm saying is that Biff would be a better president even if he's modeled after the common representation of Trump, who is a notorious coward.

BiggerBoat posted:

It would have been fine if they just came out and said 'let's pretend abortion and other contraceptive after-the-fact solutions exist and all of this is a fever dream designed to get to a certain point.' It wasn't a point of making GBS threads on anybody, it was that the whole situation had to pull some major credibility strings that it didn't really have to. Also, I completely forgot that Apatow's wife's subplot was basically a very good reason why marriage and having responsibilities in that way is not something to be taken lightly. If the movie was honest about the plot, the movie would have ended with Heigl getting an abortion and the Marijuana Muppet telling her that he was free to live his life the way he wanted and if she didn't like it she could leave it, which she had already decided on about twenty minutes in. And there's a lot of material in the movie to show that Apatow's idea of adulthood and marriage is basically 'you have to do it and you're going to do it so just cut to the suffering and divorce already.' It's a very pessimistic view of marriage and, to be honest, it really does push the idea that our cultural viewpoints on marriage are like brussel sprouts at Christmas: nobody knows why we do it, but we do and we hate it and it's tradition and blah blah just shut up and accept it via peer pressure blah.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Aesop Poprock posted:

much like your posting

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

It didn't take that long for people to repeat the points I made about Married With Children. And honestly...who really cares? More often than not they either give another perspective or bring it back up at another time for more people to play around with the idea.

Yeah I don't think it's a bad thing at all I think a megathread can sustain itself indefinitely with new people coming in and new perspectives

MikeCrotch posted:

much like your posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jedit posted:

The last good movie Seth Rogen was in was Donnie Darko.

Seth Rogan wasn't in Donnie Darko...

*googles*

Wait, what. How have I never caught that. :stare: