Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Black Mirror 4x04: Hang the DJ is probably my favorite episode of the series thus far. I just like a sweet, happy ending once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Rhyno posted:

Black Mirror 4x04: Hang the DJ is probably my favorite episode of the series thus far. I just like a sweet, happy ending once in a while.

Don't read the Black Mirror thread here because you will realize you are actually Cyber Hitler for thinking that all those digital clones being tortured was good.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rhyno posted:

It's also the highest rated episode of the season on IMDb... I know, it's IMDb so it's distorted because of the demographics of their audience, but it's still kind of interesting. Anyway, it might be the most well-received episode of the season in terms of average fan reception at least.

Just out of interest, these are currently the ratings per episode:

1. Hang the DJ (9.1 out of ten; 8.999 votes)
2. Black Museum (8.9 out of ten; 5.428 votes)
3. USS Callister (8.5 out of ten; 11.776)
4. Arkangel (7.5 out of ten; 8.730 votes)
5. Crocodile (7.5 out of ten; 7.299 votes)
6. Metalhead (7.0 our of ten; 5.454 votes)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

spudsbuckley posted:

Don't read the Black Mirror thread here because you will realize you are actually Cyber Hitler for thinking that all those digital clones being tortured was good.

I think it's supposed to be a little unsettling at least. But my impression was that they weren't 100% virtual clones like in other episodes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I enjoyed Callister, but Ricky Hitler is totally Sid from Toy Story.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The problem with Black Mirror isn't that it's repetitive, it's that it's bad. I didn't watch 50 Million Merits and think "oh, how predictable," I thought "holy moly, this loving sucks."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but the one where the prime minister fucks a pig and then it turned out that the irl prime minister also hosed a pig.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They’re both good episodes though?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't see it but this is one of those things where there's a major gulf between audience and critical reaction and it occurred to me there's been a few things lately like that. The Orville, Star Trek Discovery and the new Star Wars all had wildly different reactions between the two groups.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like Star Trek Discovery mostly settled in from what I heard and the people who don't like Star Wars are just plain wrong, though

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I didn't see it but this is one of those things where there's a major gulf between audience and critical reaction and it occurred to me there's been a few things lately like that. The Orville, Star Trek Discovery and the new Star Wars all had wildly different reactions between the two groups.

I really enjoyed it. It did what it set out to do well.

They’re dropping Landis for the sequel

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bright was dumb as hell but I'm not going to NOT watch a buddy cop movie with Will Smith and an orc.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Fake views

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Per Variety:

quote:

Netflix touted “Bright” as the highest-viewed original film ever on the service in its launch week and one of the biggest originals it has ever debuted. They also added that “Bright” is the No. 1 movie on Netflix in every country, with more viewers internationally than domestically.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well it’s like the only original movie they’ve ever bothered actually promoting so duh

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Well it’s like the only original movie they’ve ever bothered actually promoting so duh

The previous holder of that dubious title was that adam sandler western movie, so not a huge hurdle to clear.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why's it called Bright

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Why's it called Bright

Brights are the magic users, it's mostly elves (who in this world are rich rear end white people), who can touch magic wands without exploding, and yes if you were guessing that Will Smith turns out to be one you'd be right.

I said it was dumb as hell alright? It was also fun.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Why's it called Bright

because they already had a show called Dark

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Also instead of mounted units there's just police centaurs which really tickled me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

less laughter posted:

because they already had a show called Dark

Which is one of the weirdest shows I've ever watched and we really need to talk more about it.

Like how about the first episode seems like some vaguely police procedural kinda of thing and then episode 2 is the adventures of Toilet Demon.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AdultSwim.com is running a marathon of 12 Oz. Mouse today and it's the closest thing I've ever seen to Wacky Delly come to life. It's amazing. :psyduck:

I'd previously been a fan of Frisky Dingo/ATHF/Squidbillies/SGC2C/Brak/Metalocalypse/Loiter Squad/Black Jesus, but the nice thing about the job I have right now is the downtime has allowed me to discover so many [as] shows I'd never paid attention to until the last year; Harvey Birdman, China, IL, 12 Oz Mouse, Sealab 2021, and further diving into Rick and Morty.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

AdultSwim.com is running a marathon of 12 Oz. Mouse today and it's the closest thing I've ever seen to Wacky Delly come to life. It's amazing. :psyduck:

I'd previously been a fan of Frisky Dingo/ATHF/Squidbillies/SGC2C/Brak/Metalocalypse/Loiter Squad/Black Jesus, but the nice thing about the job I have right now is the downtime has allowed me to discover so many [as] shows I'd never paid attention to until the last year; Harvey Birdman, China, IL, 12 Oz Mouse, Sealab 2021, and further diving into Rick and Morty.

That reminds me that Frisky Dingo is on Hulu now. I gotta give it a rewatch, I don’t think I’ve seen the whole thing since 2009 or 10.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The first half of the second season of Frisky Dingo isn't as funny now that it happened in real life.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Uh, the ending to that arc is not at all like what happened in real life, though.

12 Oz Mouse is great.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

bull3964 posted:

The first half of the second season of Frisky Dingo isn't as funny now that it happened in real life.

It's tough to decide which is more prescient: that half season, or the Critic episode where Duke runs for president.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

You would probably like Perfect Hair Forever.

Because I loving hated it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Snak posted:

Uh, the ending to that arc is not at all like what happened in real life, though.

You're right, real life may find a way to exceed it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well in Frisky Dingo s2 neither becomes president because it turns out they aren't eligible. Xander Cruise is too young and Killface has no documented existance as a citizen of any country.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just saying the eventual outcome of the current situation may end up being even crazier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Brights are the magic users, it's mostly elves (who in this world are rich rear end white people), who can touch magic wands without exploding, and yes if you were guessing that Will Smith turns out to be one you'd be right.

I said it was dumb as hell alright? It was also fun.

Bright legit owns and i make no apologies for it. for a wild double feature watch it immediately after Six Degrees of Separation which is on Hulu right now

Snak posted:

12 Oz Mouse is great.

It's.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't want to live in a world where Frisky Dingo ever becomes less funny.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I finally watched the last season of GoT and man that one final season’s gonna be kinda bad
Cool setpieces with the dragons though. I guess that’s why the season was cut short

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff are confirmed to be the next pairing for True Detective.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

HorseRenoir posted:

Finished American Vandal and I'm pretty surprised at how much mileage they get out of such a simple comedy sketch premise.

It's so good. It ended up being one of my favourite shows this year. I never thought it would end as poignantly as it did, and it was weird that I saw a few articles asking, 'Who drew the dicks?' since the show all but points the finger at who did it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff are confirmed to be the next pairing for True Detective.

I hope Dorff is reprising his role from I Shot Andy Warhol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonz posted:

This is my jam, right here. Stephen Dorff is vastly underrated and will no doubt be awesome in this. And Ali's no slouch either, he loving crushes every role he takes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Great another grimdark cop show. After Low Winter Sun I never want to see another prestige crime show again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Then don't watch it man. I'm looking forward to it.