Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Was anyone planning on making a Black Lightning thread? Because if not, I'll jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Koalas March posted:

Was anyone planning on making a Black Lightning thread? Because if not, I'll jump on it.

Black Lightning makes me sad because they shoulda went for a Static Shock live-action TV Show instead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Black Lightning makes me sad because they shoulda went for a Static Shock live-action TV Show instead.

Static is very much a different character from Black Lightning even though they have the same powers. At least they'll have the cg assets for a Static series if they do end up doing one

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They should gave given Black Vulcan and Samurai from Superfriends a show together. El Dorado could have been a recurring villain/sometimes ally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A character that I think has major tv potential is DC's El Diablo. Specifically the later iteration of the character (post Zero Hour) where he sold his soul to a an actual devil.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ApeHawk posted:

They've had some issues with using Static in the past so they might be gunshy about giving him a TV show just in case it happens again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just watched that AMC History of Comics episode about Milestone and they made it sound like Milestone was back in business, which would seem like it would complicate DC using Static Shock.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

I just watched that AMC History of Comics episode about Milestone and they made it sound like Milestone was back in business, which would seem like it would complicate DC using Static Shock.

They signed a new deal with DC earlier this year but they hosed over Dwayne McDuffie's family and they are suing over it. Which might be why we haven't seen anything concrete with the properties.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

They signed a new deal with DC earlier this year but they hosed over Dwayne McDuffie's family and they are suing over it. Which might be why we haven't seen anything concrete with the properties.

DC announced they were planning something for 2018, but idk if that's still happening. Also that's hosed that DC is doing that to McDuffie's family. I know he was axed on not the best terms, but still.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

DC announced they were planning something for 2018, but idk if that's still happening. Also that's hosed that DC is doing that to McDuffie's family. I know he was axed on not the best terms, but still.

Sorry I wasn't clear, it was the remaining Milestone guys who did it, not DC.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, it was the remaining Milestone guys who did it, not DC.

Wow, gently caress them then.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I knew very little about Milestone before i saw that AMC thing. The way they presented it was that they all had a falling out over agendas, politics, and money and didn't speak again until a bit before McDuffie's death and at his funeral they all decided they wanted to honor him by getting Milestone up again. Now I know that was probably a cushy version of events but there's something sad/funny if those guys then screwed McDuffie's family as the epilogue.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

WB had Static Shock in preproduction for a digital series a few years ago but I never saw anything come of it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Wasn't the rumor for a while that WB was reserving Static for a DCCU movie?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8one6 posted:

Wasn't the rumor for a while that WB was reserving Static for a DCCU movie?

And that Jaden Smith was going to star.

In a surprise to no one, that was all bullshit as it was later revealed that DC did not have the film rights to the Milestone characters.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Maybe someone who knows more about DC can explain this for me. What's the difference between Black Lightning and Static Shock? I get that they both have electrical abilities, but beyond that, do they have different powers?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Static is a teen, Black Lightning is an adult.

Also are you saying all Black folks are interchangable?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Static is a teen, Black Lightning is an adult.

Also are you saying all Black folks are interchangable?

No, I'm saying that I know almost nothing about DC. I'm vaguely aware that both of these guys have electrical powers, but beyond that, I know nothing about them.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Static I think is more based around electro magnet powers, so he can levitate metal objects and his trademark is flying around on a dustbin lid. Black Lightning is mainly just shooting bolts of lightning, think he can also do force fields and poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Lightning's thing in modern comics is that he's a dad with two daughters, who also have powers.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Shaddak posted:

No, I'm saying that I know almost nothing about DC. I'm vaguely aware that both of these guys have electrical powers, but beyond that, I know nothing about them.

Just fuckin witcha.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Shaddak posted:

You could probably just look it up on Wikipedia.

In terms or powers, they're essentially the same. BL was born with his powers iirc and Static gained his from being exposed to a meta power causing explosion. BL has been updated to be a dad with two teenage meta daughters. Prior to that, he was basically just a black guy with electric powers. Static is a very smart teen at an inner city high school.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Also most people are more familiar with Static because he had a cartoon.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

8one6 posted:

Also most people are more familiar with Static because he had a cartoon.

Wasn’t Black Lightning in Superfriends? I think more people are familiar with that than Static Shock.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, sure I could have googled it or looked it up on wikkipedia, but I thought it would make more sense coming from someone familiar with the characterx.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ojjeorago posted:

Wasn’t Black Lightning in Superfriends? I think more people are familiar with that than Static Shock.

That was Black Vulcan. Totally different.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the Static Shock cartoon I loved that they went with the consequences of Static getting his powers from radioactive gas - Richie gets powers from hanging out with him because Virgil has been radioactive for years by that point - I also like that his superintelligence starts small, just making the little grenades and poo poo, and suddenly he's freaking out because he's coming up with ideas for cold fusion and sapient electronic backpacks and has no idea why. I like that Richie initially notices that something is "wrong" there and works out what happened.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shaddak posted:

Maybe someone who knows more about DC can explain this for me. What's the difference between Black Lightning and Static Shock? I get that they both have electrical abilities, but beyond that, do they have different powers?

I think the practical answer you're looking for is that Black Lightning was a character introduced in the 70s who was kind of "blaxploitation" in the same way Luke Cage was but in recent decades has been worked back into the fold as a dignified veteran hero, member of the Justice League, the former Security of Education, and father of other heroes (kind of similar to Cage as well). Static was a teen character introduced in the 90s on a different line of books written by black writers and artists and featuring POC characters and themes, and he later got the Static Shock cartoon which gave him a much higher profile than his original line of books which led to DC working him into the DC universe a bit more.

I think. I'm no expert. But that's the main difference I think. BL is a survivor of a time when African American and POC heroes were few and far between and kind of racist so he's a bit of an elderstatesman now, while Shock started as a modern revolutionary representation of AA in comics and then got popularized by a cartoon.

Why DC always gives black heroes lightning/electricity powers, I have no idea. But I imagine Static and Black Vulcan's creators were at least partially inspired by Black Lightning.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did they ever remove the random ballcap from Static Shock? They might as well given him a skateboard with that thing to fit all the black superhero stereotypes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Did they ever remove the random ballcap from Static Shock? They might as well given him a skateboard with that thing to fit all the black superhero stereotypes.

Dwayne McDuffie had something to say about that

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

hell loving yeah I can't wait for phase five and the TNNT movie

dark wheelie is the guy, i love how he calls everything jive

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

8one6 posted:

Yea, this is one of the best commentaries about newer black superheroes. I'm afraid that Jon Stewart or Black Panther were considered to get a skateboard at one point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought you meant the old host of The Daily Show and that would have been rad.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

8one6 posted:

Well, seems like they liked the Night Thrasher idea, at least!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Grem posted:

Well, seems like they liked the Night Thrasher idea, at least!

He first appears in Thor #411 on Dec. '89. Looks like this letter was a direct response to that given the date on it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Dwayne McDuffie was too good for this world.

I need to dig up that page during his JL run where Vixen ends up in another universe and one of the JL members there is basically a chubby white guy who transforms (ala Captain Marvel) into a fit black guy with an afro by yelling "Black Power!" or something. It was a dig at some cutting room for idea iirc

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dwayne McDuffie could have just made a career being the one black dude in the room pointing out how pants-on-head stupid all the white dudes were about representation. But he was also a talented as hell writer. RIP

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

yeah, a couple decades ago

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Dwayne McDuffie could have just made a career being the one black dude in the room pointing out how pants-on-head stupid all the white dudes were about representation. But he was also a talented as hell writer. RIP

Him pointing poo poo out was the reason he got fired iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

LoL, "random" ballcap