Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Does over driving reset the affinity chart? I can transfer Nim or Floren over to Nia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It would be helpful if people tweeted that to the monolith Twitter so it gets noticed

They don’t care

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Something I don't think every gets explained:

Gramps mentions that (ch7-8? spoilers) Addam had him stay around Fonsett to guard the location of the third sword, and he does so for hundreds of years while not seeming to have any problem with people trying to enter the crucible to obtain it. Yet he just up and decides to leave with Rex but never really explains why?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Switch the voices over to Japanese. I made a post about it in the JRPG thread but XBC2 has the second-worst English dubbing I've ever seen in a video game with an actual budget.

Dynasty Warriors games (and Warrio games in general) have an actual budget and their VA tends to be horrific.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What does bother me incredibly to the point of me shaking visibly was the rice balls into dumplings scene. i thought I was going to have an aneurysm

Eat your hamburger, Apollo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Does over driving reset the affinity chart? I can transfer Nim or Floren over to Nia

It does not reset their affinity, overdrive away.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

It does not reset their affinity, overdrive away.

That's surprisingly decent from a game that seems to go out of its way to annoy you with most of its design choices

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Momomo posted:

Easily the best part of the game, you did.

I really have no idea how anyone could think badly of the English dub. I've enjoyed it a lot and really don't care that they changed some names. Also calling it anime while somehow decrying XB1 wasn't is really just peak using it as a descriptior for "something I don't like".

Because I have been to Pontypool and I never want to go back again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's surprisingly decent from a game that seems to go out of its way to annoy you with most of its design choices

It's probably because some nodes require things that can only be done once (Floren's charms, heart2hearts, quests, etc) and resetting them with an overdrive would leave them unable to be completed.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Taear posted:

I'm enjoying the game, but if someone doesn't like Anime this game drips with it.

To being fair you're doing a pretty good impression of someone who hates it. Your posts in this thread are just pages of pages of things that annoy you, things you wish were different and complaints about the game and anime in general. I assumed you were forcing yourself to hate-play it for some reason. I'm glad you're enjoying it! I don't really get why you're so fixated on it being anime-ish though. I get that it's a shame for you as you've made it abundantly clear you don't like anime. But at some point isn't it just the same someone who does like anime going into a thread for Call of Duty (or whatever) and constantly complaining that it's not anime enough for them?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Something I don't think every gets explained:

Gramps mentions that (ch7-8? spoilers) Addam had him stay around Fonsett to guard the location of the third sword, and he does so for hundreds of years while not seeming to have any problem with people trying to enter the crucible to obtain it. Yet he just up and decides to leave with Rex but never really explains why?

My guess is he was cruising with Rex because he wanted to find a girlfriend.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
if you dont think xenoblade 1 was anime you have probably never seen an anime in your life

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I love anime and hate this game, explain that one atheists

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you are a min-maxer or have some mental problem of 100% everything, this game is worse than a Yoko Taro game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

404notfound posted:

I think the game has been pretty solid proof to me that I've kinda grown tired of anime-rear end animes, and JRPGs, and all their associated baggage.

It sort of depends for me. I can't deal with anime tropes once they cross a certain threshold (like harem situations) and I don't like games with stereotypical JRPG settings, but I don't mind all the melodrama and stuff.

It confuses me that anyone would play this game who is annoyed by cutscenes, given this is obviously a very cutscene-heavy game. And games like this are honestly pretty uncommon these days; it's far easier to find games that don't fit this mold, so it seems strange to complain about the tiny minority that are like this. It's like going into a thread about a GTA game and complaining about how you don't like open-world games.

All this being said, there are parts of this game that are fairly "anime," but it's not that common. The worst offender is by far some of the character designs, particularly the ones that aren't just guest blade art (namely Pyra's). A couple of the cutscenes are also pretty goofy, like the ABSOLUTE ZERO and SPEED OF LIGHT stuff. But it's not so common it's really distracting.

When I think of a game that is "anime" to the extent that it's a problem, I think of something like those Neptunia games or Senran Kagura (I found the name of this in google by typing "that anime game with the boobs"). A lot of the stuff people are calling anime in XC2 is just regular shounen tropes, and while it's okay to not like that, it's a little weird to act like it's the same sort of thing as stuff that is objectively pretty bad, like the aforementioned Pyra character design.

More broadly speaking, I find that there's often a fine line between attacking the aspects of anime (or related media like manga or Japanese games or whatever) on the basis of stuff that is "objectively" bad (like sexist characters and character designs, etc) and a weird sort of racism that points to stuff that is just characteristic of a lot of Japanese media/marketing/etc.

Taear posted:

No, it doesn't.
It means loads of scantily clad women with insanely long legs and big boobs. It means extremely dramatic overacting that involves loads of "true forms" and "real power". It involves weirdly sexualised kids who are usually "thousands of years old". There's the weird Japanese food thing where they're super enthusiastic about how nice it is and you get loads of cooking bits and references (XCX loves that). And often loads of internal monologues about "how can this be??" sort of themes.

Like take this post as an example. Things like sexist character designs or sexualized children are objectively bad and make sense to call out, but a lot of this other stuff is just cultural tropes that stand out because you're not as familiar with them as you are the cultural tropes of the country you grew up in. It's okay to not like them personally, but they're not even remotely comparable to the aforementioned things that are actually bad.

ajkalan posted:

Perun's voice acting is painfully flat, and the cutscene near the end of her mission goes on forever and has some of the cheesiest villain laughter I've heard in some time.

In the middle of Chapter 7, so opinions can change, but I'm rolling my eyes at white-haired guy with bullshit superpowers and a tragic past casually owning everyone.

Also after trying one dungeon with Tora in the lead I never want to hear "Meh" again, holy poo poo shut up Tora.

I'm enjoying the game despite this whining, KOS-MOS's level 2 special is really good.

The way (just spoilers related to Jin) Jin is dealt with is one of the few story-related things that actively annoyed me. Not just the bullshit nature of his super powers, but the way they tried to redeem him. I was actually sort of optimistic when they had Brighid say "yo, I haven't forgotten the scores of Ardainians you murdered" in chapter 8, but they still tried to pull a "HE WAS THE COOLEST GUY" thing in the end.

I actually had more sympathy for the other Torna people (like Akhos, Mikhil, and Patroka) because they experienced a bunch of trauma as children and were pulled into Torna by Jin/Malos, but Jin was fully aware that the stuff he was doing was bad, and even explicitly said how he knew Lora wouldn't approve of his actions.

Taear posted:

His stuff is what annoys me the most about the game's story I think. Every fight someone "powers up" and has some bullshit new power to fight with. It's stupid.
I feel like the tension drains from the game if your fights can be something you win and then suddenly lose and when you DO suddenly lose them some random crazy poo poo saves you every single time. Or you lose in the cutscene because the enemy suddenly goes "no sorry bullets can't hurt me now" or whatever.

Is this their true power??? repeat 30 times.

This doesn't actually happen often at all. Literally the only times it happens with Rex is when Mythra shows up and when he gains the "master driver" abilities. Literally the only times it happens with the bad guys is when they stop using other blades and use their own blade power, or in the case of Malos when he repairs his Aegis crystal thingy and regains his abilities.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 3, 2018

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

I love anime and hate this game, explain that one atheists

When they release the inevitable Xenoblade Heroes X Dynasty Warriors crossover you'll finally achieve the inner peace you crave

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

*sees overly sexual designs for female characters in American comics*

"goddamn this is so loving anime"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game clearly needed more time in the oven. I wonder if they tried to rush it for the holiday season.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gravy Jones posted:

To being fair you're doing a pretty good impression of someone who hates it. Your posts in this thread are just pages of pages of things that annoy you, things you wish were different and complaints about the game and anime in general. I assumed you were forcing yourself to hate-play it for some reason. I'm glad you're enjoying it! I don't really get why you're so fixated on it being anime-ish though. I get that it's a shame for you as you've made it abundantly clear you don't like anime. But at some point isn't it just the same someone who does like anime going into a thread for Call of Duty (or whatever) and constantly complaining that it's not anime enough for them?

Because I like to complain and I like to read people complaining about things. Positive posts are boring. I come here to let off steam about the stupid parts of the game or to try and find things out. It's hard to sustain a discussion with 'Oh this is fun' although I've mentioned a lot that I enjoy the setting.

I'm just saying it's super anime because other people say it then someone comes to say "No it's not!" and I reply to the latter post. I'm not fixated on it, I'm just responding to a lot of different people at once because I'm sat at work with huge gaps between anything to do.

quote:

Like take this post as an example. Things like sexist character designs or sexualized children are objectively bad and make sense to call out, but a lot of this other stuff is just cultural tropes that stand out because you're not as familiar with them as you are the cultural tropes of the country you grew up in. It's okay to not like them personally, but they're not even remotely comparable to the aforementioned things that are actually bad.
I'm not really trying to call them out, that's been done already.
I was just giving reasons to that poster because they were saying "How is it anime, anime just means 'thing I don't like'" and I don't think it is being used like that by the people saying it. In regards to the eating stuff and etc I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying that's why people say this game is extremely "anime", even compared to XC1. XC1 just feels like a typical JRPG but this feels like watching an actual season of an anime.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

This game clearly needed more time in the oven. I wonder if they tried to rush it for the holiday season.

Almost certainly

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

spoilers for Jin

The strange sympathetic tone the game has towards Jin makes a lot more sense when you understand that he's actually Grahf.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Pollyanna posted:

Perhaps if they had more time they would just have kept on adding more and more systems and collectibles on top of systems and collectibles. Rushing it out may have been a blessing in disguise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Am I the only one that played xenogears and all 3 saga games here

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Xenoblade is a generic shounen anime
  • The main character is a 15 year old with like 5 years of work experience somehow

This is actually one of the only things that don't fit a stereotypical shounen mold. Pretty much the only unique characterization Rex has beyond "generic shounen protagonist" is related to his salvager experience.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

there has never been a Xeno game without stupidly obtuse systems

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tae posted:

Am I the only one that played xenogears and all 3 saga games here

I don't think they ever came out in Europe.

And yea more time would DEFINITELY have meant more one note systems.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Forcing a savegame when opening cores is a bigger crime than any anime bullshit you all are talking about.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Despite everything I said in my previous post, this game IS pretty cliche and full of tropes (though I think the setting is pretty unique; the whole concept behind blades is pretty cool). But I think that people tend to notice anime/Japanese tropes because of their "foreign-ness" more than they notice the tropes in the domestic media they enjoy. Something, like, say, the Game of Thrones television series is also totally full of tropes, but people just don't notice them as much because they're masked with a more "serious" sort of tone.

(By the way, one of the best examples of the "crossing over into a weird sort of racism" thing I mentioned earlier is when people complain about female characters having squeaky voices in Japanese. Like, there are certain situations where voices actually are high pitched to the point of being obnoxious even by Japanese standards, but Nia's Japanese VA certainly isn't one of them. Vess's VA is an example of a voice that is obnoxious even in Japanese.)

edit: Ursula is another character who has a voice that is obnoxious even in Japanese.

edit2: Oh, I have a story-related question. Why is Azurda sapient and capable of speech, while most (maybe all?) other titans are seemingly mindless, to the extent that it's considered acceptable to literally strap armor to them and use them as war weapons. Speaking of Azurda, I was disappointed we never got to see what his pre-titan blade form looked like.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 3, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Here's my story about the Myrmidon unique enemy. I found him, Im level 44, hes level 35. Except I can't beat him because his battle takes place on a walkway and he keeps implementing the "my AI party members walk off the walkway to their death" strategy. I try to lure him to a more secure platform but that doesn't work when a level 85 flying monster aggros onto us from the platform. Eventually I win, not because of strategy, but because the game glitched the gently caress out and he got stuck in his unsheathing katana animation, but it was like a quarter-second loop and he infinitely replayed his sound effect every quarter-second resulting in a super loud grinding noise that lasted the whole fight.

Also, what do the sealstones do? I've found three of them so far but each time I destroy one nothing happens. Blade-related quest or some plot poo poo I haven't gotten to yet?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The weird racist part of the game was when the party found out about an assassination attempt and went "it must be those no good bird people that are doing it!", proceeded to try and murder them, and faced no repercussions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Despite everything I said in my previous post, this game IS pretty cliche and full of tropes (though I think the setting is pretty unique; the whole concept behind blades is pretty cool). But I think that people tend to notice anime/Japanese tropes because of their "foreign-ness" more than they notice the tropes in the domestic media they enjoy. Something, like, say, the Game of Thrones television series is also totally full of tropes, but people just don't notice them as much because they're masked with a more "serious" sort of tone.

I'd say it's only really noticed when something is really cliche. A big part of why the Song of Ice and Fire books were good and taken to heart by so many people is that they deliberately swerved loads of the cliches of the genre.

XC1 worked the same way. Yea it has lots of Japanese "cultural stuff" in there and the Nopon are still around being weird and annoying. Lots of the ingredients of the game are the same. But people don't complain about it being anime even though you're basically killing God.The rest of it is less of a huge cliche and people who enjoy the genre but are tired of the baggage got a lot out of that.

Just like they did with song of ice and fire.

quote:

Also, what do the sealstones do? I've found three of them so far but each time I destroy one nothing happens. Blade-related quest or some plot poo poo I haven't gotten to yet?
Zenobia.

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 3, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, poo poo with Tirkin is really :yikes: in general tbh. A lot of sidequests go some uncomfortable places with them.

Also XC2 totally subverts a lot of tropes that people don't mention. You don't even kill God! And he isn't evil or anything.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Blade related quest

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People don't complain about XB1 being anime because they like it and desperately dont want it to be that. Because people in the games forum have really weird hang ups about anime.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Momomo posted:

The weird racist part of the game was when the party found out about an assassination attempt and went "it must be those no good bird people that are doing it!", proceeded to try and murder them, and faced no repercussions.

I get weird racism vibes from the Nopon. They share the money-grubbing stereotype of a certain real-life group of people but then a majority of them including the high-ranking influential ones basically have the intellectual capacity of children

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

People don't complain about XB1 being anime because they like it and desperately dont want it to be that. Because people in the games forum have really weird hang ups about anime.

And you have this really weird hangup of never actually discussing any of the complaints people have about the game and instead just try to insult the posters themselves both here and in the JRPG thread. Before it was the idea that feature bloat was just a codeword for things I don't like, now anime is a codeword for things I don't like

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah, bladequest for Zenobia. I really think it would have been fun to start the game with Zenobia and slowly kill all the unique enemies throughout the game. By the time I got her it required me to stomp a bunch of sub level 30 uniques which seemed kind of boring when I'm level 50 and wasn't going to use her right away so I stayed away. I've mentioned this multiple times but I really hope the new game + lets you carry over blades (all or some I don't care, just please).

Zore posted:

Yeah, poo poo with Tirkin is really :yikes: in general tbh. A lot of sidequests go some uncomfortable places with them.
I felt kind of bad for them in Kassandra's side quest. I also had no idea they could talk before that sidequest which made me feel a little bad about murdering a bunch of them earlier.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I didn’t see anything in the OP. So I’m going to ask as googling doesn’t give me a good answer.

I’m trying to get all the Blades and am still missing a couple. What’s the best unique enemy that I can fight that is done fast and will consistently give a rare core? There was one I was doing on the cliffs, but for some reason it sometimes doesn’t power up and so I defeat it too quick only giving a common. I’m around the low 80’s with all my levels right now.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh God, the Blushy-Crushy Heart to Heart. By the end I was agreeing with Nia. Hell I was agreeing with her by the first couple lines. Please keep your fetishes to yourself Tora.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

And you have this really weird hangup of never actually discussing any of the complaints people have about the game and instead just try to insult the posters themselves both here and in the JRPG thread. Before it was the idea that feature bloat was just a codeword for things I don't like, now anime is a codeword for things I don't like

Both true statements yes.

Which was weird for the bloat complaint as you can just say you don't like a mechanic rather than using a phrase incorrectly.

Hell most his complaints about anime stories could just as easily be used to describe western stories as well.

XB2 is a generic story but nothing particularly anime (whatever that means)about it

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 3, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fritzler posted:

Yeah, bladequest for Zenobia. I really think it would have been fun to start the game with Zenobia and slowly kill all the unique enemies throughout the game. By the time I got her it required me to stomp a bunch of sub level 30 uniques which seemed kind of boring when I'm level 50 and wasn't going to use her right away so I stayed away. I've mentioned this multiple times but I really hope the new game + lets you carry over blades (all or some I don't care, just please).

If the blades had their costumes redesigned and were all the results of quests I think a lot of it would work tonnes better.

The only thing that the random blade stuff brings to the game is that everyone has different experiences of how the early game works. Which I guess is good but spoils the opportunity to discuss the game because only 20% of people have whatever blades people are talking about.

quote:

I’m trying to get all the Blades and am still missing a couple. What’s the best unique enemy that I can fight that is done fast and will consistently give a rare core? There was one I was doing on the cliffs, but for some reason it sometimes doesn’t power up and so I defeat it too quick only giving a common. I’m around the low 80’s with all my levels right now.

Vampire Blade Marion in the stomach of the Urayan Titan. If you Break - Topple - Launch - Smash it you'll get legendary cores. And it's level 63!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Y'all really don't have to get so defensive about people saying the word "anime"