Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Black Stones posted:

I didn’t see anything in the OP. So I’m going to ask as googling doesn’t give me a good answer.

I’m trying to get all the Blades and am still missing a couple. What’s the best unique enemy that I can fight that is done fast and will consistently give a rare core? There was one I was doing on the cliffs, but for some reason it sometimes doesn’t power up and so I defeat it too quick only giving a common. I’m around the low 80’s with all my levels right now.

don't go for drops, go for driver combo smashes--you get a loot roll every time you smash (everyone should be using gold chips for the drop rate bonus). relentless arduan in gormott should yield 1 legendary core and 2-3 rare cores per minute. bring rex with a launcher (pandoria works) and roc + two breakers with gold quality beta scopes, don't give the breakers any blades with weapons that lack a break. you'll have to do the sidequest to feed him up from a baby if you haven't.

there are other decent and easier places to farm, but if you're trying to get all the blades you might need hundreds, so it's worth your time to set up for the best farming spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Taear posted:

Vampire Blade Marion in the stomach of the Urayan Titan. If you Break - Topple - Launch - Smash it you'll get legendary cores. And it's level 63!

Do you have to finish the fight that way? Or just do it during the fight? Cause finishing the fight that way would be tricky I would think.

Edit: phone posting so quoting sucks. Where do I get reliable source for gold chips? I’ve seen mention of temperantia but I’ve fought the enemy 6-7 times with no drop.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
every time you smash you get a loot drop, even if the enemy is still alive. but if you can handle it, relentless arduran's drop table is way better than marion's.

e: marion does drop gold chips, so you should farm her until you have enough. do the same smash business, then finish her off with a chain attack for the drop rate bonus on kill.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Black Stones posted:

Do you have to finish the fight that way? Or just do it during the fight? Cause finishing the fight that way would be tricky I would think.

Edit: phone posting so quoting sucks. Where do I get reliable source for gold chips? I’ve seen mention of temperantia but I’ve fought the enemy 6-7 times with no drop.

There isn't many reliable drops in the game which sucks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Reiterpallasch posted:

every time you smash you get a loot drop, even if the enemy is still alive. but if you can handle it, relentless arduran's drop table is way better than marion's.

e: marion does drop gold chips, so you should farm her until you have enough. do the same smash business, then finish her off with a chain attack for the drop rate bonus on kill.

The problem with the Arduin is that it's level 99 though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Reiterpallasch posted:

Wicked. Thanks a bunch all.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's level 99 with no serious offense. it'll spend more time in the air than attacking, and whenever it is attacking rex will have mythra out--it's not going to do poo poo to four with foresight's 40% evasion bonus on them. and did i mention that it can't drop common cores yet?

you do have to be level 90+ to routinely land breaks, but that's just a few dinosaur kills in temperantia away. it'll take longer to complete the sidequest to feed the drat thing than it will to get to the point where you can handle it.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 3, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder if its bad that I didn't find the maid stuff creepy and just kinda laughed at most of the jokes about it. Like Rosa was just a capper to it all.

Also I thought Poppi had a real fun astro boy kinda vibe so I really liked her design/cape

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's level 99 with no serious offense.

you say that but it like instagibed me every time I tried fighting it at level 84

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

chumbler posted:

Also terrible UIs have nothing to do with whether or not something is anime.

My complaints are partly about the shounen anime tropes and partly about JRPGs. I grew up playing games like FF6, Chrono Trigger, and (on an emulator) Seiken Densetsu 3. I fell off the JRPG boat for a while mostly because I stuck with Nintendo consoles instead of Playstations, where most of the JRPG action moved to.

But, jumping back into the genre with this title, I forgot how it was common to have a ton of abstruse mechanics to pad out the complexity of the game, and it also seems like a lot of titles haven't picked up any of the lessons learned over the past decade or so about how to make a more user-friendly experience. Mass Effect back in 2007 got blasted for having an awful inventory system where you just scroll endlessly through a single list of everything you've picked up, and this is hardly better. The least I can say is that this game has fast travel, instead of making you run to the edge of town, hop on your airship, and fly to another titan.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I get weird racism vibes from the Nopon. They share the money-grubbing stereotype of a certain real-life group of people but then a majority of them including the high-ranking influential ones basically have the intellectual capacity of children

Smaller complaint, but I feel like the localizers couldn't figure out how to apply their weird grammar consistently. Most of the time nopons refer to themselves in the third person, but then they'll switch to first person when it would make the sentence too awkward. To make another callback to an old game that did it better, the gargoyles in Ultima 6 and 7 (1990/1992) had a speech pattern where they would speak in infinitives, and I feel like the execution was a lot better than the pseudo-caveman speak the nopons use.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The dub has serious voice direction issues. Nothing wrong with the actors, but there's so many lines with super weird cadence, or with the completely wrong tone, or with emphasis in not exactly the right place, etc. I'ts not enough to make me switch dubs but it's a shame.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wonder if its bad that I didn't find the maid stuff creepy and just kinda laughed at most of the jokes about it. Like Rosa was just a capper to it all.

Also I thought Poppi had a real fun astro boy kinda vibe so I really liked her design/cape

Poppi is cool but the maid stuff is creepy and the game itself points that out.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Taear posted:

If the blades had their costumes redesigned and were all the results of quests I think a lot of it would work tonnes better.
Yeah, the other weird aspect is how for some (Boreas) you can power up all the way immediately (requires either 100k or super strength 4/nopon wisdom 3 which isn't very hard when Poppi handles most of that alone), for Perun I think you need to be at chapter 5 to unlock tier 3 of her chart and some I think have sidequests that would take a very late game to do. I do really like the blades a lot, there are just a few things keeping it from being amazing. The other aspect is how much better some of these side blades are than Dromarch, Brighid and Pyra, but I have to look at those idiots the entire time (I don't hate them, but am glad that in NG+ we at least know these guys will be unequipable by sending them on merc missions).

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

you say that but it like instagibed me every time I tried fighting it at level 84

huh. was it party damage, or were the tanks going down?

if it's party damage, was it poison breath? that move's brutal to non-tanks but it only hits in a cone in front of him. a water resist v aux core will also do wonders for your tank's survivability if they're having trouble with it. otherwise all you have to worry about is horn dance and that straight up shouldn't be lethal.

if it's tank damage, you can get decent results by using tora as your tank instead of four--i don't do it because i have to redo all my poppiswap mods to take the +damage stuff off him, but he'd be a lot more survivable than four with just brighid. i think what might have happened is that four got mulched before you could get mythra up to gold affinity, the evasion bonus doesn't kick in until then.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fritzler posted:

Yeah, the other weird aspect is how for some (Boreas) you can power up all the way immediately (requires either 100k or super strength 4/nopon wisdom 3 which isn't very hard when Poppi handles most of that alone), for Perun I think you need to be at chapter 5 to unlock tier 3 of her chart and some I think have sidequests that would take a very late game to do. I do really like the blades a lot, there are just a few things keeping it from being amazing. The other aspect is how much better some of these side blades are than Dromarch, Brighid and Pyra, but I have to look at those idiots the entire time (I don't hate them, but am glad that in NG+ we at least know these guys will be unequipable by sending them on merc missions).

Yeah and for most rare blades 9800 trust is just way to much.

It should be like half.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Poppi is cool but the maid stuff is creepy and the game itself points that out.

poppi mk. 3's outfit is way worse than the maid stuff and the game never really does anything with that, probably because it's optional

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Reiterpallasch posted:

huh. was it party damage, or were the tanks going down?

if it's party damage, was it poison breath? that move's brutal to non-tanks but it only hits in a cone in front of him. a water resist v aux core will also do wonders for your tank's survivability if they're having trouble with it. otherwise all you have to worry about is horn dance and that straight up shouldn't be lethal.

if it's tank damage, you can get decent results by using tora as your tank instead of four--i don't do it because i have to redo all my poppiswap mods to take the +damage stuff off him, but he'd be a lot more survivable than four with just brighid. i think what might have happened is that four got mulched before you could get mythra up to gold affinity, the evasion bonus doesn't kick in until then.

I'm not sure, I start combat and then five seconds later it oneshots rex. Maybe I'll give it another go tonight with this stuff in mind.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Taear posted:

I don't think they ever came out in Europe.

Had to look that up because I was sure you were wrong, but turns out I must have imported Xenogears from the US. I know a couple of the 'saga ones did come out here, but I found them pretty unplayable.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's level 99 with no serious offense. it'll spend more time in the air than attacking, and whenever it is attacking rex will have mythra out--it's not going to do poo poo to four with foresight's 40% evasion bonus on them. and did i mention that it can't drop common cores yet?

you do have to be level 90+ to routinely land breaks, but that's just a few dinosaur kills in temperantia away. it'll take longer to complete the sidequest to feed the drat thing than it will to get to the point where you can handle it.

So if you killed the thing when it was still little you're locked out of the best core farm in the game?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tap my mountain posted:

So if you killed the thing when it was still little you're locked out of the best core farm in the game?

Pretty much, but that's what you get for being a heartless monster

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure, I start combat and then five seconds later it oneshots rex. Maybe I'll give it another go tonight with this stuff in mind.

uh, hmm. it shouldn't even be doing tank march until much later and its autoattacks should only hit for like 4k against a non-tank. i guess you could put the accessory that forces a character to start with aggro onto your tank?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Not my fault they put a big quest marker on it, gently caress whoever the troll was that made that sidequest

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fritzler posted:

Perun was the first blade I unlocked and I couldn't get her to level 2 until I'd unlocked Indol and also got Argentum to Dev Level 3 as well as doing a merc mission to upgrade the board game shop. That's a loving long time without level 2 unlocks. And it's not like she's extremely strong or anything. She's just...normal.
Meanwhile I unlocked Herald last night and have her at 3 already because it just requires doing some specials. And the lady with the insane legs that you buy for 500k just needs you to drop off some money at her warehouse.

If there was a pattern to it - stronger blades are harder to unlock - it'd be okay but there isn't. Even if it was a story reason like the more unpredictable blades (like Herald) are easier to unlock then it'd be fine. But nope.

And some require quests to level up their Affinity. Like Dahlia, who I've been unable to get the quest for at all, it just doesn't pop. Meanwhile Gorg's quest is just for some stupid pastry chef thing and doesn't affect his Affinity unlocks at all.

I know they're all drawn by different people but it definitely feels like they were programmed by different people too. Sort of related but it's a shame there aren't any more animal blades like Dromoch, beyond the generic ones.

quote:

But, jumping back into the genre with this title, I forgot how it was common to have a ton of abstruse mechanics to pad out the complexity of the game, and it also seems like a lot of titles haven't picked up any of the lessons learned over the past decade or so about how to make a more user-friendly experience
XC2 and XCX are both steps BACK from XC1 when it comes to the UI and how things work. Although at least XC2 tells you where to hand in quests, sorta.

quote:

Had to look that up because I was sure you were wrong, but turns out I must have imported Xenogears from the US. I know a couple of the 'saga ones did come out here, but I found them pretty unplayable.
When it was new I knew a lot of Americans playing it and I know for sure there was no way for me to get it for a PAL system at that point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Reiterpallasch posted:

uh, hmm. it shouldn't even be doing tank march until much later and its autoattacks should only hit for like 4k against a non-tank. i guess you could put the accessory that forces a character to start with aggro onto your tank?

I'm fairly certain I had that on my tank already but maybe not. After the third time I just said "welp, guess I gotta go grind some more" and went off to find rocks for Agate and idiots for Floren.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Xenoblade 2 is pretty dang anime, but xenosaga was even too anime for my young middle school self. I think I played it few hours at most. It broke my heart due to my fond memories of the gibberish that is xenogears.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Reiterpallasch posted:

poppi mk. 3's outfit is way worse than the maid stuff and the game never really does anything with that, probably because it's optional

Pyra was like "We have to make new clothes for a grown up Poppi or else she'll be showing too much skin" and you have to get some fabrics to make clothes for her and yet she still ends up looking like That.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

Pyra was like "We have to make new clothes for a grown up Poppi or else she'll be showing too much skin" and you have to get some fabrics to make clothes for her and yet she still ends up looking like That.

Seems a bit hypocritical there.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

"You have to show some modesty"
-a lady wearing hot pants and a sci-fi g-string

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

poe meater posted:

Xenoblade 2 is pretty dang anime, but xenosaga was even too anime for my young middle school self. I think I played it few hours at most. It broke my heart due to my fond memories of the gibberish that is xenogears.

Nothing I've seen in any of the blades games, even if the costumes are crazier, comes close to the robot girl in Xenosaga in terms of creepiness.

Taear posted:

Seems a bit hypocritical there.

I'm not up to that part yet, but there has been a least a couple of times where costume related hypocrisy has been called-out in-game, which suggests at least some level of self awareness about it (that I enjoy). Again I don't know if it's the same in Japanese or it's the translation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xenosaga introduces the little girl (Momo) with a panty shot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Poppi QTpi's heart to hearts are the cringiest loving things.

One touches on how Tora gave her a 'dog mode' where she crawls around and barks like a dog she's only supposed to talk about in private.

:yikes:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

Nothing I've seen in any of the blades games, even if the costumes are crazier, comes close to the robot girl in Xenosaga in terms of creepiness.

Even (chapter 7 spoiler) blade Nia? She's the worst to me. You can see her vagina and she's 14. I mean...what?

quote:

Xenosaga introduces the little girl (Momo) with a panty shot.
Have you met Electra yet?
Or Theory/Praxis I guess but...they have adult women bodies with children's heads. Because of course they do.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The dark secret of Poppi QT Pi is that she looks like a knock off of Nei/Miue/Rika from the sega genesis Phantasy Star games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zore posted:

Poppi QTpi's heart to hearts are the cringiest loving things.

One touches on how Tora gave her a 'dog mode' where she crawls around and barks like a dog she's only supposed to talk about in private.

:yikes:

That's completely different in the japanese. I don't remember the specifics, but it wasn't about a dog.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
also they keep making sexbot jokes about Poppi QTpi which is really weird since the story wants to also give her a prominent role in the endgame as Poppi Alpha doing a pretty standard 'little girl robot learns about being human' arc.

The Poppi form thing is really confusing and weird since she transitions between them all at will in battle, the story completely pretends they don't exist after the first upgrade and only ever shows her in Alpha form but the sidequest to unlock QTpi is about how you're building her a permanent adult body???

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Taear posted:

Or Theory/Praxis I guess but...they have adult women bodies with children's heads. Because of course they do.

This is called stylization (not that Praxis' literal water balloon boobs are a masterful design either). It looks off because they didn't bother changing the guest blade designs to fit in with the regular cast, but it's just a different art style where features are more exaggerated.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zore posted:

The Poppi form thing is really confusing and weird since she transitions between them all at will in battle, the story completely pretends they don't exist after the first upgrade and only ever shows her in Alpha form but the sidequest to unlock QTpi is about how you're building her a permanent adult body???

In cutscenes where she's not doing anything he has Poppi QT but when there's dialogue it's Alpha. I don't really understand why.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Poppi gets a great moment in an early cutscene where she swings Tora as a weapon and I was hoping she'd get to keep that move but noooooooo

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Taear posted:

Even (chapter 7 spoiler) blade Nia? She's the worst to me. You can see her vagina and she's 14. I mean...what?

I'm not up to chapter 7 so don't have any context or know if you're being hyperbolic or not, but I'd still be surprised if I found anything in this game as creepy as Momo. If I did, I'd probably stop playing. In general costumes don't bother me so much though, it's more about tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Amppelix posted:

This is called stylization (not that Praxis' literal water balloon boobs are a masterful design either). It looks off because they didn't bother changing the guest blade designs to fit in with the regular cast, but it's just a different art style where features are more exaggerated.
For me Vess is one of the weirdest because while many, many characters wear skimpy clothes and have huge racks, literally nothing else in the game has a face drawn like hers.