Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Taear posted:

Clocked what? I don't see the similarity if that's what you're saying?

Same font, I think that's what he's going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Taear posted:

Clocked what? I don't see the similarity if that's what you're saying?

To me the font looks extemely similar, just that the ST one is thicker. When I was watching S2 it was nagging at me where I'd seen that font before on the episode titles, I looked up CYOA, and there it was.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's generic 80's fiction book font you ding dongs

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

It's ITC Benguiat. The reference is clearly Stephen King book covers, which also used that font.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just finished this up last night. It was good, but it recycled too much. I realize it's 80's Homages: The Show, but it should be expanding or turning over those ideas. I'll caveat that I did not re-watch season 1 beforehand.

+ What was the point of Max aside from making Eleven overreact - she was there the entire season doing nothing (and her brother was an add-on to nothing, though at least he had some run-ins with Steve, see below)

+ Steve best character

+ The reporter scene with Nancy and Jon was the absolute worst thing ever

+ Jon was kind of a nothing this season, outside of making Nancy confused

+ Actually ep7 was the absolute worst ever, a) because it took up an entire episode, b) because the payoff was another X-Man telling El to use the dark side of the Force, as though El was some kind of amateur - will skip this ep on rewatches and you better not bring any Heroes bullshit in next season Duffers! :argh:

+ I thought the first 3 episodes were good aside from the questionmark that is Max, and around episode 4 was when it got rocky. The dramatic setpieces for the episodes were missing or too obvious after those first 3 (and especially the ending of ep 3 when Will confronts his fears :().

+ If shadow monster related things are infectious, how come Hopper and Dustin aren't possessed, or really anyone that went into the tunnels without a hazmat suit

+ The shadow monster is a Mind Flayer, it's a virus, it's an Aliens hivemind, but individuals in the hivemind can befriend people who give them snacks - how about you pick just one of these things instead of making it everything at once

+ It's a good thing Will only had magic brain damage and it just went away after the shadow monster left, giving him time to attend the school dance

+ I didn't like the ending very much. It was fitting, but I was bored, outside of the Dustin section. I did like that it appears to reflect the SM going from stumbling around in the dark to acquiring a laser focus on the party (esp. El), it was sinister. The issue is we've already had shots of SM spooking around all season.

+ Favorite scenes: Nancy's "bullshit", Lucas's sister, Mike's parents, Eleven/Hopper fight, aforementioned ending of ep 3 (and the Bob advice that preceded it), Steve/Dustin :allears:, Dart hunt in the school, Bob stealth mission

e: I'm kind of curious as to what you all thought about The Exorcism in this show, I thought that whole plot was just going through the motions, but goodness the kid can act. Or maybe kids are just really good at screaming and writhing around.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 3, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's weird, I didn't feel all that skeezed out by the conspiracy nut. He was weird and invested in Nancy and John getting it on, but the pull out comment was funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The dog things were lame monsters that didn't manage to feel half as threatening as the one monster from the first season. Like yeah they eventually managed to kill a single character that matters and isn't a faceless lab guy, but they still came across more as generic enemies in a video game than any kind of real threat.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
What's really scary is when you take a man with no face and turn him into a puppy that an octopus is taking for a walk outside the aquarium

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

The dog things were lame monsters that didn't manage to feel half as threatening as the one monster from the first season. Like yeah they eventually managed to kill a single character that matters and isn't a faceless lab guy, but they still came across more as generic enemies in a video game than any kind of real threat.
I wonder if part of the problem is that the show actually does feel like its heavily referencing video games at times (Beyond diegetic stuff like Dig Dug or whatever).

Like the whole escape from the lab with all of those security camera shots just made me think of the older Resident Evil games, especially since they were dog monsters that were chasing the characters.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

+ The shadow monster is a Mind Flayer, it's a virus, it's an Aliens hivemind, but individuals in the hivemind can befriend people who give them snacks - how about you pick just one of these things instead of making it everything at once

I think you can tie it all together fine if you think of it as the Zerg with one exception. Mind Flayer = the Overmind. Demodogs = zerglings, with the Demogorgon being a more advanced unit. The vines (+ the tunnels + the pollen) = the Creep. The exception is Will's possession. Will's possession > Kerrigan or infested Terrans. The layered way the possession is handled in Stranger Things makes it all more than a nod to or copy of the Zerg. The variable dynamic of his possession makes it better than just an evil independent personality or a complete drone, and I think it makes it better than creating yet another regular exorcism or body-snatching story. Anyway, the Zerg comparison explains how the "units" act too. Normally, they are given general commands and left to their own devices, which explains the Demogorgon trying to eat and reproduce like a regular animal in season 1. Extra attention from the Mind Flayer to what's going on in season 2 leads to a lot more micro-management of units there, though since Dart isn't special and getting a lot of orders he can be affected by how he was trained on snacks early in life.

Speaking of video games, the game Oxenfree got me wondering if any of the original music in the second season has Morse Code messages hidden in it, especially in episode 8. I loved how some of the music in two years on Doctor Who took its cue from what was happening in a certain character's head, and the bit about Morse code in episode 8 was good like that but on a whole nother level.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

+ What was the point of Max aside from making Eleven overreact - she was there the entire season doing nothing (and her brother was an add-on to nothing, though at least he had some run-ins with Steve, see below)

I guess the point is to be another character in a story about characters. vOv

Lurdiak posted:

Eh. I think the dogs are scarier in a sort of "They're going to overrun the world and kill everything" kind of way. The Demogorgon was a personal one on one kinda thing

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/951934924847833091

:lol: David Harbour seems an alright dude.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Onomarchus posted:

Speaking of video games, the game Oxenfree got me wondering if any of the original music in the second season has Morse Code messages hidden in it

That goes back to the 80s as well. Martin Galway's main theme for Rambo Part II begins with a Morse sequence spelling the names of the coders that is then used to create the rhythm of the track.

I don't know if anyone noticed this in the S1 thread, but the Wheelers seem to be a huge callout to Donnie Darko. Holly Wheeler is a couple of years younger than Samantha Darko, but the older kids are the same comparative ages: 21 and 17 in 1988 against 16 and 12 in 1983. They also have a passive and oblivious father called Edward who votes Republican and married a woman a good number of years younger.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Does that mean we'll finally get to find out how one sucks a gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

empty sea posted:

Does that mean we'll finally get to find out how one sucks a gently caress?

In Season 5, possibly.

• Locked thread