Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

I searched around but didn't find any results. Have any of you installed any kind of "parental control software" on your kids computers/devices? Can you share your results? Which one, did it work, was it easy, etc. Thanks!

My first thought was to find something that would let me apply a whitelist of web sites allowed and block everything else. If child wants access to a site they have to submit it for approval then I can approve/deny. Something like that seems to make sense.

I actually just saw this on TheSweetSetup. It's more iOS based but could still be a good jumping off point for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

zaurg posted:

I searched around but didn't find any results. Have any of you installed any kind of "parental control software" on your kids computers/devices? Can you share your results? Which one, did it work, was it easy, etc. Thanks!

My first thought was to find something that would let me apply a whitelist of web sites allowed and block everything else. If child wants access to a site they have to submit it for approval then I can approve/deny. Something like that seems to make sense.

You'd generally need a good firewall to have complete website whitelisting, you could instead opt for something like OpenDNS family shield to do some hardcore web filtering or even see if your ISP offers something similar.

As for my 2 year old dude... for the past couple of months he's kinda been humping the floor or grabbing his junk occasionally, of course I just leave him be to get on with it. Fortunately he doesn't really do it if we have company or out in public (and if so we distract him), I'm not really concerned but do we just let him carry on?
It's actually funny to think he does get embarrassed about certain things at his age, like if he needs to poop he'll go somewhere out of sight and grunt it out and be annoyed at us if we come find him.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
How do you do, fellow parents!

So: my 20-month-old has been ... humpy, at times? Like, just this morning we took him from his crib to our bed while we were still waking up, and he was just twerking away on whichever parent he could hop on top of. He also tends to do this in the crib before settling down for nap time, but the mood seems to come and go over a few days.

The only time we pulled him off of anything was when he started doing it on a big Elmo doll, and it was a "Elmo's not a fan of that, sorry" thing, not a "what you're doing is bad" thing.

Not concerned in the least about it now, but was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? I'm wondering what we'll have to do if he still feels like Werkin' It when kids start playing with each other, more than around each other, and we have to start getting into personal space chat.

Edit:
^^^^ wow

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Our 11-month old has discovered her vagina and thrusts her hand to it during every diaper change. Even the poop ones. My then 2-year old girl would randomly shove her hand into her diaper/underwear during playtime. Even in public. So we had to dress her in a way it was difficult to get her hand in there, lots of long pants and leggings. My sons now absentmindedly grab their penises (at 3 and 7) and if I see it I ask them if they have to use the bathroom. Half the time they do, the other half they say "Sorry, it just feels good!" so I tell them that is their private area and they need to keep that behavior private.

Kids all seem to discover their genitals around the same age, and over the toddler years explore them in various ways. I'm sure it's behavior they will outgrow, especially if they do it in preschool or another kid calls them out and they stop out of embarassment. The main thing we try to teach our kids is that their private areas are not for sharing in public or with anyone else, unless it's momma or daddy. If they want to explore themselves when we put them to bed or during bathtime or whatever, we let them. The shame that often comes with discovering our genitals can really stick with someone for life, so we try to avoid that kind of language.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Yeah, exploring his body is totally fine, I don't think, like, Santa is watching or anything. I guess it was the humping, and then the humping of things (like, I'mma go grab that and heeeeeere we go) that I was more surprised about. Which is strange (that I was surprised) because it probably has to be one of the most basic mammalian instincts we possess :shrug:

VorpalBunny posted:

"Sorry, it just feels good!"

It's never not true!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

The shame that often comes with discovering our genitals can really stick with someone for life, so we try to avoid that kind of language.

My mom hosed this up for me. It took me until I was an adult to not feel shameful. She had this weird obsession about making sure we weren't being molested. It felt like once a year she'd sit me down in an almost interrogation sort of way to make sure nobody was touching me inappropriately. It made me terrified that touching *myself* was a horrible thing to do because of how intense it was. Of course my kid mind also associated that feeling things down there was also not good and it was any day I might go to jail. Of course when puberty hit, you can't help yourself sometimes so I had a lot of shame and guilt.

We were never molested. She was never molested either. She still has this weird obsession with children being molested. She's even a pizzagater.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My 4.5 year old son pretty much treats his penis like a fidget spinner. If he's naked for whatever reason most likely he's playing with it.

If (when) it becomes less absent minded fidgeting and more purposeful then we'll tell him it's fine if he wants to do that but to do it in his room or the bathroom.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Fuckkkk. Christmas is so tiring and scary when you have a bunch of kids. People coughing and puking and poo poo.

Give me gastroenteritis again and I will fuckimg kill you with my bare hands

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

sheri posted:

My 4.5 year old son pretty much treats his penis like a fidget spinner. If he's naked for whatever reason most likely he's playing with it.

If (when) it becomes less absent minded fidgeting and more purposeful then we'll tell him it's fine if he wants to do that but to do it in his room or the bathroom.

Same with my 1.5 year old. I keep toys near the changing table for distractions for those poopy diapers that cover everything.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

Fuckkkk. Christmas is so tiring and scary when you have a bunch of kids. People coughing and puking and poo poo.

Give me gastroenteritis again and I will fuckimg kill you with my bare hands

Yea this. Xmas led to the whole family getting horrible colds that lasted 5 days and then immediately followed by some stomach bug which gave us two days of baby diarrhea. I love the holidays.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
We had a relatively quiet Christmas without too much extended family visiting, and thankfully have avoided any horrible bugs. Of course now I've posted this we will all get the flu or something probably...

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid had some sort of ear infection that didn't have a fever but made him vomit. I had a sinus cold and morning sickness all Christmas :v:

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
No vomiting here, thankfully, but one seven month old with bronchiolitis that almost was admitted to the hospital. Sami the Seal (a strange seal kids nebulizer) has been our best friend this week.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

My kids were surprisingly well behaved, and they played nicely with their cousins. They weren’t the worst behaved at Christmas dinner, so I’m feeling really smug.

Counterpoint, is my wife still wants a fourth.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else's 4 to 5 year old talk constantly? Our son is not quiet from the moment he wakes until the moment he sleeps. He's constantly asking questions, asking me or his mum to come and look at this or that, or just talking to himself as he plays. It's cute in a way, but it's also really frustrating at times, because he just cannot be still or be by himself for even one minute. He'll ask inane questions over and over, just for the sake of talking. If he doesn't get a response he'll just repeat it over and over until someone responds, and then immediately launch into another barrage of questions. I wouldn't even mind as much if they were all genuine questions that he really wanted the answer to, but they're not.

A typical exchange:

S: Dad, what if a dog had ten legs?
D: I guess it'd be able to run really fast, wouldn't that look funny!
S: What if it had.....ELEVEN legs?!
D: Well -
S: What if it had a MILLION LEGS?! Is it afternoon yet?
D: No, it's still morning, it won't be afternoon for another hour.
S: Is it evening time?

This is usually the point where I get frustrated, because it'll be the tenth or twentieth time that day where I've been asked the same barrage of similar questions, and he often doesn't even listen to the answer and will just launch straight into a new question.

Or I'm sitting down and working or trying to focus on something and he asks me an inane question, if I don't answer immediately it's "Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad." until he gets a response.

It's not a matter of him not getting attention, we do sit down with him and play games, do drawing, painting, baking, lots of stuff, but if we're playing a game he has a certain set of rules that must be abided by, and if they're not followed to the letter he gets frustrated, and it's just not all that much fun. When he plays with his friends he's not like that, so I'm not sure why he's like that with us.

I try not to get annoyed with him, but I do find myself snapping at him because it's just constant and unrelenting and I never get even a single second of quiet until he goes to bed.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

4.5 year old kid haver checking in, sounds similar to my life.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
My 2 years old is like that. Am I in trouble?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

KingColliwog posted:

My 2 years old is like that. Am I in trouble?

This is me.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Does anyone else's 4 to 5 year old talk constantly? Our son is not quiet from the moment he wakes until the moment he sleeps. He's constantly asking questions, asking me or his mum to come and look at this or that, or just talking to himself as he plays. It's cute in a way, but it's also really frustrating at times, because he just cannot be still or be by himself for even one minute. He'll ask inane questions over and over, just for the sake of talking. If he doesn't get a response he'll just repeat it over and over until someone responds, and then immediately launch into another barrage of questions. I wouldn't even mind as much if they were all genuine questions that he really wanted the answer to, but they're not.

A typical exchange:

S: Dad, what if a dog had ten legs?
D: I guess it'd be able to run really fast, wouldn't that look funny!
S: What if it had.....ELEVEN legs?!
D: Well -
S: What if it had a MILLION LEGS?! Is it afternoon yet?
D: No, it's still morning, it won't be afternoon for another hour.
S: Is it evening time?

This is usually the point where I get frustrated, because it'll be the tenth or twentieth time that day where I've been asked the same barrage of similar questions, and he often doesn't even listen to the answer and will just launch straight into a new question.

Or I'm sitting down and working or trying to focus on something and he asks me an inane question, if I don't answer immediately it's "Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad. Dad." until he gets a response.

It's not a matter of him not getting attention, we do sit down with him and play games, do drawing, painting, baking, lots of stuff, but if we're playing a game he has a certain set of rules that must be abided by, and if they're not followed to the letter he gets frustrated, and it's just not all that much fun. When he plays with his friends he's not like that, so I'm not sure why he's like that with us.

I try not to get annoyed with him, but I do find myself snapping at him because it's just constant and unrelenting and I never get even a single second of quiet until he goes to bed.

Only child? Think my kid is still in that phase 8 years later.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

Does anyone else's 4 to 5 year old talk constantly?

My son is 4.5 and I honestly don't remember what life was like before he could talk. It is absolutely non-stop. He's in pre-k till 12:30 3x a week and there are days where I just sit for an hour and basically just stare at a wall, because my brain needs the downtime. This hasn't happened in a while but he'd routinely wake me up in the middle of the night to talk, or ask such important questions as "what kind of noise does a zebra make?" at 4am. (Note: They make a loving terrifying sound, do not Google for your kid at 4am.) I was actually worried something was wrong with him, like he couldn't internally process language or something (I don't know!) but nope, "he's just very verbal!" I'm his only parent and work from home at night, so if he's not in school, he's with me, and has been since birth. It's bone-wearingly exhausting and gives me new appreciation for how funny it is to judge parents when you haven't had your own kid. I used to think "how awful, I will never just brush off my child's questions!" when I saw parents just kinda "mmhmmm" or give non-answers that were obvious they weren't listening. Hahahahaha. He's lucky he's so drat awesome, because hoooo boy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, my 4.5 year old talks a lot. So does the 6 year old. They talk to each other, but I don't think they really listen. So it seems to work out! Although they do take breaks from that when they crash around the house aimlessly.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bardeh posted:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
My brand new four year old (whatever happened to my Happy three year old) has been throwing fits everyone morning now for a week. Granted, no naps and lots of super party fun this past weekend, but even if he was tired before, he wouldn’t scream and throw things at us. Besides restructuring bedtime to be a lot earlier to address fatigue issues (day care says he’s been sleeping like the dead during nap time which is unusual for him in last several months), are there any attitude things that happen around four? We never had the terrible twos/threes so I wondered if we are finally getting that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Anya posted:

We never had the terrible twos/threes

I feel like setting something vaguely resembling you on fire and screaming into the void.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Thwomp posted:

I feel like setting something vaguely resembling you on fire and screaming into the void.

Give em a free hour in the ballpit [full of overtired and questionably ill toddlers!] :black101:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Yeah but it’s coming in spades I’m sure.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Twins that are teething is absolute hell.

That is all.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm kind of at a loss. Our son is almost 2 (next month) and he's just randomly become averse to us brushing his teeth. If we try, he grabs the toothbrush and sticks it in his mouth and does nothing with it. He has "rewards" for letting us but this doesn't seem to be a thing any more. Our bedtime rituals are usually story, brusha brusha, kisses, sleep and he seems all for it until we start the actual activity.

Ideas? We don't want him to go without brushing but holding his hands would only make it worse. :sigh: The terrible twos are going to drive us insane. I can already tell.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Welcome to 2.

Sometimes if nothing else works you just gotta deal with the angry kid and get the teeth brushed. If that means holding his hands that that's what you gotta do.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

sheri posted:

Welcome to 2.

Sometimes if nothing else works you just gotta deal with the angry kid and get the teeth brushed. If that means holding his hands that that's what you gotta do.

Seems like a quick trip to "I have negative feelings about this thing and don't ever want to do it" land. If it was going to the doctor or cleaning his room, I'd not care. This is basically his health. I'm absolutely horrible at creating good habits for myself. I don't want him to suffer the same.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

Seems like a quick trip to "I have negative feelings about this thing and don't ever want to do it" land. If it was going to the doctor or cleaning his room, I'd not care. This is basically his health. I'm absolutely horrible at creating good habits for myself. I don't want him to suffer the same.

Letting them get away with not doing something they should because they're tantrum is a good way to train them to throw tantrums to get their way.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Alterian posted:

Letting them get away with not doing something they should because they're tantrum is a good way to train them to throw tantrums to get their way.

It isn't really a tantrum, I think. He wants to do it himself is closer to the response we get but he has no idea what he needs to do. If we try to show him, he takes the toothbrush back and puts it in his mouth and looks happy but doesn't do anything. If we encourage him to do it himself, he just never does.

I openly admit, I've never dealt with kids until my son was born so it may be a tantrum I'm just not realizing. I just feel like holding his hands down while we brush seems like it'll end up with him not ever wanting to brush when he can.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our solution to a similar issue was to use two toothbrushes. One for our 27mo daughter to "brush" and the other for us to do it right. We take turns who is brushing her teeth and she seems to like it.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Irritated Goat posted:

It isn't really a tantrum, I think. He wants to do it himself is closer to the response we get but he has no idea what he needs to do. If we try to show him, he takes the toothbrush back and puts it in his mouth and looks happy but doesn't do anything. If we encourage him to do it himself, he just never does.

I openly admit, I've never dealt with kids until my son was born so it may be a tantrum I'm just not realizing. I just feel like holding his hands down while we brush seems like it'll end up with him not ever wanting to brush when he can.

Are you taking turns? As in, first the parent gets the turn with the toothbrush, then he gets his turn once you're all done.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

TacoNight posted:

Are you taking turns? As in, first the parent gets the turn with the toothbrush, then he gets his turn once you're all done.

We haven't been but I'm suggesting it to my wife right now to try over the next few days.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
I usually loudly announce that I'll brush whoever can open the widest. Then my wife acts really excited about having her teeth brushed and opens her mouth as wide as she can. That's usually enough to make our daughter feel competitive and cooperate with the brushing. We do this little bit where I inspect both their maws and decide daughter's is a little bigger and then my wife goes "aw rats!!" and acts disappointed and my daughter cackles with glee.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Irritated Goat posted:

We haven't been but I'm suggesting it to my wife right now to try over the next few days.

We get her toothbrush ready, and let her do it first. After she does (or doesnt want to) then it is our turn. We give her chances to open wide and let us do it, but if not we will hold her. It sucks but cavities suck more.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Chin Strap posted:

We get her toothbrush ready, and let her do it first. After she does (or doesnt want to) then it is our turn. We give her chances to open wide and let us do it, but if not we will hold her. It sucks but cavities suck more.

exact same here.

He gets to do it first, then we do it.

At first we had to wrestle him to brush, now he will let us do it without crying if we sing him a song or two.

Also I do the "I will count to 5 and if you do not let me do it, then I will have to force it". He'll open before I say one now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Mine is two and is always finding new ways to test us, so the response in terms of brushing has to fit the situation.

Does he want to do it himself? Well, I'll let him hold the toothbrush and I'll handling the moving!
Not up for that? How about taking turns! You can brush first, then I'll make sure it's all good.
Doesn't want it anywhere near his mouth? Let's see if I can get him to cooperate by turning it into a game or getting him to mimic.
Still no go? Then he gets held with his arms by his side until he's ready to let me, with no more talking or anything except repeated "open up and let me brush you" until it happens.

And then he does, only to bite down on the toothbrush and hold it, so we repeat until the whole mouth is done.

It can be exhausting, but ultimately he always gets brushed, sometimes it just means we have to skip story time to get him to bed on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Normally I agree about not forcing kids to do stuff they aren't into, but hygeine and safety things are non negotiable.

You have to brush your teeth. You have to get shots. You can choose the toothbrush or if you want shots in the leg or arm but if you aren't going to cooperate it still needs to get done.