Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I was really happy to hear Eric mention Airborne because I wasn't sure anyone outside my group of friends ever saw it. I've been meaning to call it in for request month. It's the rad Nineties in movie form and its a great hangover movie. Definitely a WLM for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gorefiend posted:

Looks like the episode list on the website now just posts to patreon for anything in the back catalogue. I didn't expect them to put it all patreon exclusive.

It's really funny to me that their response to people complaining about them adding terrible ads to episodes mid-sentence and locking more and more content behind a paywall when they were making six figures a year off of Patreon was to just hide the amount of money they make on their Patreon page altogether.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

It's really funny to me that their response to people complaining about them adding terrible ads to episodes mid-sentence and locking more and more content behind a paywall when they were making six figures a year off of Patreon was to just hide the amount of money they make on their Patreon page altogether.

Isn’t there a way to find that out anyway?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/SizzlingSaturn/status/948349816995766272

loving hell hahahahahahaha

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gorefiend posted:

Looks like the episode list on the website now just posts to patreon for anything in the back catalogue. I didn't expect them to put it all patreon exclusive.

Wow that's really goddamn irritating and I say this as a patron at that level. Seriously guys? C'mon.

Also there's on loving way they were making 6 figures with a little over 2,000 patrons.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 3, 2018

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Guy Mann posted:

332 movie episodes, dozens of animation eps and on-screens and mailbags, plus 15~ Nexus eps and a bunch of commentaries. Let's approximate the sum as equivalent to 400 movie eps.

- Buy/rent/borrow movie ($)
- Watch film and take notes (time)
- Plan around 3-4 people's schedules (time)
- Record ep ($ and time)
- Edit ep ($ and time)
- Repeat the above 11~ months of the year
- Consistently release quality content for free for 6~ years
- As of 7th year, majority of new content is free
- Subscription content is available for a monthly stipend, with an annual contribution totalling in the range of $24 - $96

I've no idea how much money went into obtaining the flicks, nor the cost of upgrades to recording equipment or editing softwares, nor the bandwidth costs for however shows were hosted, nor the amount of personal-time spent and personal-stress accrued throughout the journey from Wired to Baby Boss and beyond.

But I can conjure a reasonable dollars and hours budget which I would put towards a single movie recording. How about 1.75 hours for the average film, 2.25 hours for the original recording, and another hour to cover my share of the editing and uploading and planning and tons of crucial steps of which I'm dully ignorant.

5 hours for one ep? Ok, not too bad, let's scale it up. What say we quintuple the effort, work on a big month with a quintet of Tuesdays. 25 hours now, one month or so in.

Man, no breaks, time for a theme like listener request or spooktacular, bit more demanding than last month. We'll still use a 25 hour estimate.

Let's quintuple it again, approximate a full year of WHM for me. Equivalent of 50 episodes took me 250 hours. Phew, hard to keep walking the line between fulfilling a passionate hobby and losing the joy if it becomes "work".

Repeat that whole odyssey though, Year 2 begjns.
Repeat it again.
And how bout a 4th go.
We're halfway there! 1000 hours for the first 200 eps, incredible! Red Heat was hilarious, and it's free for all to enjoy

5th set.
6th set.
7th set.
8th set. I'm finished. 400 episodes, 2000 hours.

Copy and Paste for 2.5 times to account for the 2-3 partners who'd do the same 5~ hours for each episode. 400 eps, 7000 hours.

The above was longwinded on purpose, and not be condescending or snarky. It's more about the power (or lack thereof) that digits and number values have in demonstrating the true effort and work invested in the creation of anything.

Six-figures from Patreon for podcasters joking about movies may raise an eyebrow.

Six-figures of income, after taxes and fees, split 3 or 4 ways, to remunerate each ones 2000~ hours of creative labor? That's an inssne bargain.

Support artists that you love. Support HATE.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wow that's really goddamn irritating and I say this as a patron at that level. Seriously guys? C'mon..

I get what you're saying, but theres over 200 episodes currently available on the feed so it's not the end of the world. Especially when the lowest pateron tier is $2.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

I get what you're saying, but theres over 200 episodes currently available on the feed so it's not the end of the world. Especially when the lowest pateron tier is $2.

You need to be at $5 to get the archive. NOW, you could just pay 5 bucks and download the entire archive and be done with it, it's more that I could've sworn they out and out said they wouldn't do exactly what they just did and that it was only about putting the older eps on an RSS feed, not about putting them all behind a paywall. That's the only part that bothers me personally and again I say this as someone happily giving them $5 and doesn't plan on downgrading any time soon.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You need to be at $5 to get the archive. NOW, you could just pay 5 bucks and download the entire archive and be done with it, it's more that I could've sworn they out and out said they wouldn't do exactly what they just did and that it was only about putting the older eps on an RSS feed, not about putting them all behind a paywall. That's the only part that bothers me personally and again I say this as someone happily giving them $5 and doesn't plan on downgrading any time soon.

Yea, I'm pretty sure they did say they wouldn't do that. But for me personally, I don't really mind. I want them to be able to make money off this if possible.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
To get things back to the, The Boss Baby...

:chloe: Why???

e;

Oh my god it gets worse, why did I decide to watch this before listening to the new episode :stonk:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 3, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kalensc posted:

Good post about costs of a podcast

You made a very excellent post about estimated costs, but I wanted to add that there's equipment costs and hosting costs on top of all that.

Equipment can be viewed as a one time cost, but there's periodical wear and tear, requiring updates and repair/replacement costs. For a podcast to sound as good as WHM, it needs 4+ track recording, mixing, decent microphones, and headphones. None of that is cheap and when I was looking into podcasting, I estimated about $800 for a decent enough setup (because I can't stand podcasts with lovely recording quality and bad levels).

When a microphone goes bad or headphones are broken, that's at least $50-$100 right there depending on the quality. A mixing board or 4 track recorder is going to keep going up from there.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I had the $8 tier since their Patreon launched, then downgraded to $3 in December. Now that they have the $5 tier, I upgraded yesterday to that new $5 tier. I already had the Patreon RSS feed in my Podcast Addict app, but after refreshing both the WHM prime feed and the Patreon feed, I don't see any of these new (archived) episodes. Where would I find them?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I hate paying a single dime for the entertainment I enjoy which is why, in the 80's and 90's, i'd go to the television department of Sears, pull up a chair from lawn and garden, and stay there from 6 - 9 pm every night so I could catch my shows. When the salesmen asked if they could help me, I'd hiss and spray urine.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hockles posted:

I had the $8 tier since their Patreon launched, then downgraded to $3 in December. Now that they have the $5 tier, I upgraded yesterday to that new $5 tier. I already had the Patreon RSS feed in my Podcast Addict app, but after refreshing both the WHM prime feed and the Patreon feed, I don't see any of these new (archived) episodes. Where would I find them?

It's a single google drive link in a recent patreon post. I presume that means they couldn't figure out how to integrate them without flooding the feed.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

duz posted:

It's a single google drive link in a recent patreon post. I presume that means they couldn't figure out how to integrate them without flooding the feed.

Yeah it’s a no win situation there because there a lot of episodes, so you can’t put out a post per episode however listening to the archive is a bit more fiddlier because jfc does the Patreon app and Slowfari not play well with it. However it’s literally my only complaint, one which is liiiiiikely due to my fat fingers.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

Yeah it’s a no win situation there because there a lot of episodes, so you can’t put out a post per episode however listening to the archive is a bit more fiddlier because jfc does the Patreon app and Slowfari not play well with it. However it’s literally my only complaint, one which is liiiiiikely due to my fat fingers.

Some of the older eps are direct linked. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it gradually.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

Oh man, thanks for confirming a half-memory that I couldn't confirm due to the shittiness of Twitter. Andrew was ranting about something people were requesting, and someone responded with an screenshot of their Patreon takings. I checked their Patreon minutes after that burn, and they had already hidden the number.

E: I think people were wondering where the audio was for some recent live shows, and he was rather aggressive in how they weren't generally a priority / not to complain / if you wanted to hear the audio you should've gone.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 3, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
these guys live in NYC, with a 6 figure Patreon they probably all still have to work the concession stand and also live in a literal conduit

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MisterBibs posted:

Oh man, thanks for confirming a half-memory that I couldn't confirm due to the shittiness of Twitter. Andrew was ranting about something people were requesting, and someone responded with an screenshot of their Patreon takings. I checked their Patreon minutes after that burn, and they had already hidden the number.

E: I think people were wondering where the audio was for some recent live shows, and he was rather aggressive in how they weren't generally a priority / not to complain / if you wanted to hear the audio you should've gone.

I like the show but they're all pretty much assholes, and it's a reason I cancelled my Patreon pledge. I liked the Nexus show and I made a comment about how I'd probably be dead by the time they got around to covering all of TNG. It was pretty clearly a joke but their (whoever does their social media) reply was basically, "If you don't like, don't loving listen to it."

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 3, 2018

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like the show but they're all pretty much assholes, and it's a reason I cancelled my Patreon pledge. I liked the Nexus show and I made a comment about how I'd probably be dead by the time they got around to covering all of TNG. It was pretty clearly a joke but their (whoever does their social media) reply was basically, "If you don't like, don't loving listen to it."

Hi there,

I heard about the negativity here and thought I’d clear some things up.

No, we’re not rich off WHM. I still work a regular degular office job and commute almost 4 hours a day for it. Last year was the first year we turned any kind of profit doing this in like what, 7 years?

I do want to quickly mention a lot of this Patreon money is used on plane tickets, travel arrangements, and housing for 4 people while touring. That adds up quite a bit. It’s not exactly profitable. We’ve upgraded all recording equipment. That’s what Patreon is for first and foremost, to continue to do WHM and bring the live experience on the road when we can. The money allows us to do what we like doing, this show. I'd love to spend a year on the road doing this show. This is what I use all my vacation days at work for. See you soon, Texas.

Regarding our old back catalog episodes that are no longer available on the main RSS feed. They’re from a distribution method we used in the early, early days which was free for us to upload. The catch is they’d routinely change URLs. So I personally have edited the links on the Episodes page every other month since early 2011. Yes, this is an actual insane thing I would do as part of keeping the old episodes alive. It was a pain. Anyway, this resulted in a lot of people tweeting us about dead links or hey this doesn’t work. Then I knew it was time to check every episode again. It got tedious.

So combine that with requests to have these all available in one source. We decided we should do that. So I spent the last two months editing out every single advertisement and live show plug (which are obviously now irrelevant) from these old episodes to make it a real true blue archive.

I’d like to take this time to point out that Google Drive folder I set up is not private or anything... Any you guys patrons of WHM? You can share that link. Post it here if you want to! I really don’t mind or care.

The main reason it’s a Google Drive folder and it’s on Patreon is we didn’t want to re-upload it somewhere and pay the hosting fees we’d incur. We just launched a new $5 tier, so it seemed like a natural reward to get the ball rolling.

Oh and if you took a second to use Google – you can still find any old episode you want. They're still out there. I just don't want to change the link every other month anymore.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

And no, you don’t have to support the show if you don’t want to.

Thanks for listening,
Eric

P.S. I wish we could do the Nexus weekly, which is a goal if this Patreon thing goes well...
My plan B is to get a horse, live in the mountains, and don't bother anybody.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

precision posted:

these guys live in NYC, with a 6 figure Patreon they probably all still have to work the concession stand and also live in a literal conduit

New stretch goal: Chris will buy a cabin

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I literally never got the impression they're assholes. They probably get on edge because ANY level of "internet fame" subjects you to the worst of the worst at every turn.

Well poo poo hi Eric! Love the show buddy!

That explanation is awesome and reinforces my love of the show. Thanks for taking the time and effort to acknowledge the stuff.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 3, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Don't let these guys get you down, my dude. Also bring back Blame it on Outer Space for real.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BlameSpacePod posted:

reasonable response.

Yeah, well how you really spending all that Patreon money, Richy McRicherson?!

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

enigmahfc posted:

Taxes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

enigmahfc posted:

clearly they're living it up on Mountain Dew and Doritos in fat kid shorts :rolleyes:

its like you don't even listen to the show.

(PS, the patreon is Good and I'm glad we can directly support you guys on it)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Thanks for the info on the back catalog! Your hard work is/was much appreciated!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Good thing we're getting a bigly tax cut!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"these nice dudes creating funny content for donations have gone TOO FAR!" - the internet, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

precision posted:

"these nice dudes creating funny content for donations have gone TOO FAR!" - the internet, 2018

Isn't this how the internet reacts to everything?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Eric is a great guy, he responded to a question I had on Facebook once and was really cordial about it.

The Patreon is totally worth it. The commentaries are good as hell, the Nexus is great, and I love that we're getting a new episode every month. It's okay to like or not like a movie, but it's not okay to be an rear end in a top hat on the internet. :shobon:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I've listen to the podcast since episode 70 or so, so I know for a fact these guys are monsters and assholes, which is why I signed up for the Patreon because that sort of behavior is needed now then ever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

We Hate Movies? More like We Hate Out Listeners, ammirite?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I like the news that they're coming to Texas, it's probably just Austin tho.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I imagine the patreon bucks aren't that high after taxes and splitting it 4 ways, especially in New York. They're writers and comedians, they probably don't make a lot from their day jobs anyway.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Evil Mastermind posted:

We Hate Movies? More like We Hate Out Listeners, ammirite?

so you fuckers better stay in!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RobotDogPolice posted:

I imagine the patreon bucks aren't that high after taxes and splitting it 4 ways, especially in New York. They're writers and comedians, they probably don't make a lot from their day jobs anyway.

Plus at least 2 or 3 of them have day jobs where it's possible to constantly talk about smoking weed under their real names in a popular podcast soooooo they might not be the highest-paying jobs out there. I mean even in places where weed is legal/medical you still have to tiptoe around the fact that you smoke if you work in like 99% of the ground-floor jobs.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
If WHM isn't a million dollar franchise then explain this!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Marin Karin posted:

If WHM isn't a million dollar franchise then explain this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Someone with access to the Goodle Drive folder: Is the entire catalog neatly named and numbered? I'm not at all mad about what's going on but I was motivated to organize the episodes I already have and download the rest of what's available. Unfortunately the file naming is terribly inconsistent so this quickly became a tedious project. So tedious that that's why I might become a patron for a month to get the catalog.