Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's an enemy in the Evil Within 2 who "sings" the tune of Clair de Lune, a piece of music which indicated safe areas in the first game. On The PS4 this singing is sent out through the controller, getting louder or quieter depending on how close the enemy is.

Somehow that's even freakier than hearing it through headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
In War for the Overworld, having your minions train up their levels doesn't cost gold, nor does it have the level limit like Dungeon Keeper 2 had. It smooths out the training process, and lightens up on the gold pressure having a ton of dudes leveling up.

Also, the little armor stands your minions wail on have little piglets chilling in the empty helmets. :3:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

Holy smokes! Maybe I'm not as close to the end as I thought...

Oh, wait... No, I get what you mean now. I thought you meant you started doing "double takedowns" with your imaginary friend.

Oh, I thought you'd beaten it already.

I just mean how- while doing the main story- sometimes you'll do something special, Joker will comment throughout the in engine cutscene and then try and take a swing at you instead of walking off screen and disappearing once he's off-camera.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, I thought you'd beaten it already.

I just mean how- while doing the main story- sometimes you'll do something special, Joker will comment throughout the in engine cutscene and then try and take a swing at you instead of walking off screen and disappearing once he's off-camera.

He also replaced certain thug models some fights later in the game.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

And random statuary and billboards and poo poo. I was gliding on my merry way one time, passing one of the apparently millionsof gothic statues in Gotham and out of the corner of my eye I saw one of them was like a hosed up Joker statue. It wentoff screen for a second and when I swung back, it was back to normal. Highly atmospheric.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Blind Sally posted:

Infested Planet

This is a great game. The battles can really swing back and forth as you throw your bp into different things to counter the enemy evolutions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

This is a great game. The battles can really swing back and forth as you throw your bp into different things to counter the enemy evolutions.

Yeah, I never beat it but I put like ten hours in and it’s so satisfying seeing your space marines push back the horde.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

That's what I'm poorly talking about.

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dt0AGjhTDX0M

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Agents of Mayhem feels like a game that was built around the idea that you would play it co-op, except it isn't a co-op game. Even the story stuff feels like it was written for there to be three characters there at a time, instead of just one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Agents of Mayhem feels like a game that was built around the idea that you would play it co-op, except it isn't a co-op game. Even the story stuff feels like it was written for there to be three characters there at a time, instead of just one.

This is genuinely my feeling on it. If it had been a co-op game so many of its flaws would have made more sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its a shame because I did like the Agents themselves, just the game they were in wasn't that great.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In Friday the 13th, Jason and counselors that are low on fear will normally look ahead, but if the camera faces them from the front, they'll look directly at the camera instead. This leads to a lot of videos and screenshots being way funnier than they usually would since the character's looking at the camera like it's a really weird episode of Parks and Rec
https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/948677948793638912?s=09

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Cleretic posted:

This is Volition we're talking about. 'Red Faction and Freespace' Volition.

A total earth-shatterer of a sequel is basically what they're best at.
loving hell where's my freespace 3 at :( :( :(

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Cleretic posted:

This is Volition we're talking about. 'Red Faction and Freespace' Volition.

A total earth-shatterer of a sequel is basically what they're best at.

I have always wondered how they can keep referencing Ultor in their games, since Deep Silver didn’t get the rights to Red Faction in the bankruptcy auction for some bizarre reason.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Persona 5 opens with the main character being captured after an unsuccesful heist and taken to interrogation, where he begins to tell his story. Every time you form a social link, it flashes forward to the prosecutor commenting on the particular abilities you had and how you could have learned them. At some point she is livid at how good you are at handling firearms and what kind of expert could have taught you so well. The answer? A grade schooler who is really good at lightgun games.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Heat Signature has several different kinds of teleporters. One's called the Visitor, and lets you teleport anywhere withing range, but pulls you back to your original location exactly 2 seconds later. It has a 2 second cooldown. The first time I realized you could get two separate ones, use them in sequence to get into places was amazing. Visitor 1 teleport > Visitor 2 teleport > Visitor 1 pulls you back to the first spot > Visitor 2 pulls you back to the second spot. I accidentally locked myself in a cargo room discovering that and had to do it again to get out.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I never beat it but I put like ten hours in and it’s so satisfying seeing your space marines push back the horde.

i've dumped nearly 30 hrs into it now. probably 2 thirds are from just playinh the new dlc.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Olive! posted:

Heat Signature has several different kinds of teleporters. One's called the Visitor, and lets you teleport anywhere withing range, but pulls you back to your original location exactly 2 seconds later. It has a 2 second cooldown. The first time I realized you could get two separate ones, use them in sequence to get into places was amazing. Visitor 1 teleport > Visitor 2 teleport > Visitor 1 pulls you back to the first spot > Visitor 2 pulls you back to the second spot. I accidentally locked myself in a cargo room discovering that and had to do it again to get out.

I love that the tagline for Heat Signature is basically "A game where you enter spaceships, make terrible mistakes, and think of clever ways out of them." Tom Francis knows exactly what makes his game so fun.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I love that the tagline for Heat Signature is basically "A game where you enter spaceships, make terrible mistakes, and think of clever ways out of them." Tom Francis knows exactly what makes his game so fun.

God yes. Sure you can look carefully and tailor everything you take on a mission to do it safely and surely, but some of the best fun in the game is deliberately choosing a mission you know you're underequipped for and trying to bullshit your way through it anyway with whatever you have on you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Battlefront 2 occasionally has a dead soldier emit a good ol' Wilhelm Scream. I'm not sure how the frequency of it is determined, but it's rare enough that it makes me smile when I hear it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Played the evil within 2 for the first time in a few months (after barely getting anywhere in the game) and whoever was talking about the ghost girls voice coming from the controller being creepy was not kidding.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Somfin posted:

Playing through A Hat In Time and oh my goodness, it's like a whole game made up of the little moments that I loved from all those old Nintendo games. If you have any love of kid-friendly platformers it's a must-play.
Game got me through the tail end of a cold two months back and it's one that I went back to 100% immediately after finishing. It's pretty good, too bad it turned out there's only one ending.

The D-pad has dedicated buttons for blowing kisses or sticking out your tongue. Doesn't do anything mechanically and I'm not sure it's even documented anywhere, just lets you blow kisses/raspberries at people you like/hate. After finding it and backtracking to the first area of the game in mafia town, I realized the "BLEHHHHHHHH" sound you heard occasionally was Hat Kid doing the same rude emote to the mafia guys since, well, they're bad guys. I don't think she does it anywhere else outside of cutscenes.

Partway through some otherwise potentially super annoying disappearing platform sections, I realized it was using Coyote Time (2:22, though the whole vid fits the thread), and stuff like that is probably a big part of how it plays so much smoother than the old 3d platformers it emulates.

Also, while not really a small thing, the part where it really won me over was the high energy soundtracks and ramping craziness of the boss fights. Normally I expect boss fights in 3D platformers to be pretty boring affairs where you figure out the gimmick then execute it 3 times to win. The first fight where you jump over a few barrels to punch a dude is pretty much to expectations, but it starts ramping up with the mafia boss after that and each one after takes place in a giant arena and any given moment half that arena could be explosions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpVDPAczL4o (spoilers, obv.)
If you're curious about the duplicate boss fight there's an area where the levels consist of being in movies for the two birds and how you perform in each determines who you fight at the end.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

In Dark Souls games, blocking an attack takes stamina. The bigger the attack, the more stamina it takes to block. Now, Dark Souls is known for boss fights against enormous creatures, and those are the kind of hits that you usually dodge rather than blocking. However, you can do it if you have a big shield and lots of stamina.

The cool thing is the animation. Usually when you block a hit, your character just takes it on their shield and stands their ground. However, to deal with the momentum of a giant axe or hammer or what have you, they will allow the force of the hit to push them back, do a backflip, and land on their feet. It's so satisfying, especially couple with the resounding peal of their weapon smashing into your shield.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ariong posted:

In Dark Souls games, blocking an attack takes stamina. The bigger the attack, the more stamina it takes to block. Now, Dark Souls is known for boss fights against enormous creatures, and those are the kind of hits that you usually dodge rather than blocking. However, you can do it if you have a big shield and lots of stamina.

The cool thing is the animation. Usually when you block a hit, your character just takes it on their shield and stands their ground. However, to deal with the momentum of a giant axe or hammer or what have you, they will allow the force of the hit to push them back, do a backflip, and land on their feet. It's so satisfying, especially couple with the resounding peal of their weapon smashing into your shield.

Only 1 and 3. :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beaten Pink Monkey in Ape Escape 2. Took a couple of Game Over's but she's a fun character. Generally the only member of the Freaky Monkey 5 I don't like (that I've met so far) is Yellow. He's comes across as an obnoxious gay stereotype.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I like how every encounter in the Evil Within 2 has become "get spooked by a guy I didn't see, run several feet and cover behind a box or something, and then stealth kill him when he comes around the corner" - after getting an upgrade that lets you perform stealth kills on things coming around a corner.

This has led to a few times where I would run around a car constantly hoping that he'll forget where I am so I can stealth kill him.

Also there's a bit with a train, where a bunch of guys just come at you from down a train car, and I stealth killed most them right in front of each other as they were stepping into the train section I was in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

scarycave posted:

I like how every encounter in the Evil Within 2 has become "get spooked by a guy I didn't see, run several feet and cover behind a box or something, and then stealth kill him when he comes around the corner" - after getting an upgrade that lets you perform stealth kills on things coming around a corner.

This has led to a few times where I would run around a car constantly hoping that he'll forget where I am so I can stealth kill him.

Also there's a bit with a train, where a bunch of guys just come at you from down a train car, and I stealth killed most them right in front of each other as they were stepping into the train section I was in.

Get the bottle break skill, it'll save your life

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm currently doing a replay of the Doom-engine games: Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, and possibly Hexen. (Using GZDoom.)

One thing strikes me as amazing: How much id software got right, the first time. For one thing, every weapon sound feels powerful. The levels are still good, even with all the restrictions the Doom engine has. And the music is still very memorable.

Edit: Also, I feel like a goddamn wizard putting GZDoom's save folder in my google drive folder and reinventing cloud saving between my desktop and my laptop. :colbert:

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Jan 6, 2018

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Don't forget Chex quest.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

rodbeard posted:

Don't forget Chex quest.

And Strife, in fact that game is better than Hexen imo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Strife loving owns

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Oh man the sound design in the doom games is absolutely amazing. Both the "There you are" sound cues and death sounds of the monsters. The techno sound when you kill the arachnotron or the blood curdling roar of a hell knight baron of hell make me pee my pants a lil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ0cOl4iL78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ2j4GvJiZw&t=75s

Vic has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Jan 7, 2018

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

scarycave posted:

i truly hope they patched that skill. I was pumped when I got the corner stealth kill move, but the monster had to be inches away, and you had less than a second to hit the prompt or everything you got discovered and everything went to crap. Maybe I was spoiled by Assassin's Creed, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Shadows of Mordor/War where it was a bit more forgiving with the reaction time and distance.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just completed my second playthrough and Ambush is absurdly powerful, so

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The smart phone from Get Even is seriously brilliant in how it puts so many functions into a single diegetic real-time source and I'd be pretty happy if that replaced toggled detective vision and pause screen map/data/objective screens in everything from now on.

I always thought it was cool how Timesplitters 2 had the minimap as an actual thing you had to equip and this feels like a logical evolution of that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Strife loving owns

It got an updated rerelease a few years back on Steam. It's a classic gem that you never really hear when people talk about Doom-style games.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

WHO HOLDS A PHONE LIKE THAT?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've been playing Smash T.V. since it was a new thing, and only this morning did the hilarious absurdity of the players - who are shirtless and can be gruesomely killed with a single hit - wearing helmets.

I mean, yeah, safety first.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Rough Lobster posted:

It's pretty funny, I'm reading your post and looking at the thumbnail while holding my phone in pretty much the same way, only with my pinky holding the phone up. If there's an excuse for the character not to use their left hand, I'd say it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Rough Lobster posted:

When using a FLIR add-on, my tricorder app, camera, radio environment analyzer, or Geiger-Muller app, I do.