Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

You guys, today was a good day. We got a new song from MU300: https://asianmanrecords.bandcamp.com/track/dont-worry-dont-stress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know much about the late 80s mini-revival in the UK? Centred around the "Ska Explosion" show in London (where Judge Dread was MC) and involved groups like the Loafers, the Riffs and Hotknives, but I can't really find anything out about most of these bands.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
So, uh

https://twitter.com/acousticbandits/status/900292805360144385

It's sort of funny that they're advertising it as yet more Streetlight songs rather than anything original, but I'm pretty excited that literally anything is happening with them after so long.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
It'll be fun to watch bro douche streetlight fans still find a way to form a mosh pit during an orchestral performance in a seated theater

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I will finally see ska music where it was meant to be performed:

*from the back balcony voice* MRS. BUTTERWORTH'S!

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

*from the back balcony voice* MRS. BUTTERWORTH'S!

I will never stop asking, regardless of venue or crowd size.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

My initial and optimistic reaction: Oh sweet, we're gonna get new BOTAR songs.
*Five seconds pass*
My cynical and pessimistic reaction: After waiting another three years, we got a BOTAR re-recording of Keasby Nights.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
I'd prefer that to anything Tom has put out since A Call to Arms.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Looking forward to the orchestral rendition of Dear Sergio

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

http://www.beacontheatre.com/events/2018/january/streetlight-manifesto.html

Wow, people are going to have to shell out $60 (before fees) for the good seats at the NYC show.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Pass. I'm still pretty mad at streetlight for pulling a "final tour" then continuing to tour bullshit.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah, no, I'm gonna be front row center for this poo poo I give no fucks this is easily a once in a lifetime opportunity

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Yeah, no, I'm gonna be front row center for this poo poo I give no fucks this is easily a once in a lifetime opportunity

If it's tour related, there is no such thing as "once in a lifetime" with Streetlight. That only applies to new material.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Botar playing ever again after this, especially with a gat dang 40 piece orchestra, is about as likely as ever getting volumes 2-8 of 99SOR

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
I would like the BOTAR revival a lot more if they played in *city I live in*

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
I picked a bad time to to move the middle of the country.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I would like the BOTAR revival a lot more if they played in *city I live in*

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If this is wildly successful it'll happen in more cities believe me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just got back from seeing The Beat and The Selecter.

Pretty good show from The Beat, though my dream is still to see them play with the original line-up one day. Some songs just need Dave Wakeling to completely do them justice. They also lose points for not playing Walk Away.

The Selecter were amazingly energetic. Hearing them play Three Minute Hero was one of my favorite concert moments of the last few years. Points deducted for not playing Bomb Scare and cutting Pressure Drop short (every ska band needs a full Pressure Drop in their set).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

Pretty good show from The Beat, though my dream is still to see them play with the original line-up one day.

RIP Saxa. :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If anyone needs a ticket to the opening night of the Throwdown, I have an extra and I'll sell it for face+fees ($35)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jeff just released a new album called “POST-“

https://jeffrosenstock.bandcamp.com/album/post

Name your own price. Physical editions in March. 10% of the proceeds goes to Puerto Rico relief efforts.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

RIP me and my wife not going to BOTAR because it sold out in NYC :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In other news, NEW STREETLIGHT SONGS OMG (lol who am I kidding)

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Jesus loving Christ does he think it’s really that good of an album?

Jeff takes a poo poo and it’s better than anything Thom makes. Jeff is better Thom

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

Jesus loving Christ does he think it’s really that good of an album?

Jeff takes a poo poo and it’s better than anything Thom makes. Jeff is better Thom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAYpie0wo_c

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Everyone is doing it to celebrate the 20th of the big ska boom. Let's Face It's 20th tour was great, and Keasbey Nights was as big if not bigger down in South Jersey/Delaware where I grew up.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

it'd be a way more exciting if the show featured any other original member of catch who is not tomas kalnoky. ansley's fretless bass is a pretty critical component in the sound of keasbey nights, as well as the raw energy and emotion of a group of high school kids recording a pretty ight ska record.

that revenge re-recording of keasbey is just the saddest thing

Misc fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 3, 2018

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

although i'm a hypocrite for the irreparable damage i've put on my vocal chords screaming "IF YOU HATE ME SO MUCH THEN STOP SINGING MY SONGS" at streetlight shows, thus egging on that whole thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I feel like that whole drama distracted from the fact that post-Tomas Catch-22 was actually not a bad band. Especially considering a good chunk of the original Tomas line-up stayed around for the whole life of the band. Nothing fantastic, but some decently solid pop-ska:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJKOTcIL4M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9OEe7GTs0Y (bonus low-key shade thrown at Streetlight)

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
They were just trying to be Tomas tho and recreate what all the fans fell in love with. They could actually never be their own band, they could only ever try to be Tomas or different than Tomas. It was always all Tomas.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’m sad that Catch 22 vanished, I felt like with Permanent Revolution they were finally starting to try out new stuff and figure out Their Own Thing. But then they just up and disappeared so???

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

They were just trying to be Tomas tho and recreate what all the fans fell in love with. They could actually never be their own band, they could only ever try to be Tomas or different than Tomas. It was always all Tomas.

I actually listened to Dinosaur Sounds and Permanent Revolution before I ever even heard of Streetlight (don't ask me how) and I gotta say I disagree. I didn't know who was in or out of the band on what album.

I mean, it's definitely noticeable that Alone in a Crowd was trying really hard to sound like Keasbey Nights, but Washed Up was more of a compilation album than anything, and I think both Dinosaur Sounds and Permanent Revolution stand on their own as solid albums, regardless of the Tomas stigma or whatever.

I really doubt that if you played someone a track off Permanent Revolution without telling them what band it is, their first reaction would be "this sounds like they're trying to be Streetlight."

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Hot take- Catch 22's recording of Keasby is better than Streetlights. Partly nostalgia, but as was said above the rawness and energy is so good. Streetlight sounds like they're just going through the motions.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

Hot take- Catch 22's recording of Keasby is better than Streetlights. Partly nostalgia, but as was said above the rawness and energy is so good. Streetlight sounds like they're just going through the motions.

I agree with this 100%. I liked the re-recording but the original is 1000x better.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
I really like Alone in the Crowd

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I agree with this 100%. I liked the re-recording but the original is 1000x better.

I'd be surprised to see people who prefer the re-recording. The original just works better with a raw edge, and SM's fine-tuned sound doesn't do it justice. I imagine Somewhere in the Between would sound weird done in Catch-22 style.

And who knows, maybe the big surprise is that SM and Catch-22 all get together for a big bang up at the show?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

And who knows, maybe the big surprise is that SM and Catch-22 all get together for a big bang up at the show?

tomas kalnoky hasn't surprised anyone since the streetlight manifesto demo

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I mean, I still hold out for an ASOB reunion. It doesn't help that Mike Park managed to get some good reunions together for the AMR fests.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Misc posted:

tomas kalnoky hasn't surprised anyone since the streetlight manifesto demo

I was surprised one time when I saw them and he was wearing a shirt that was different from what he's worn literally every other time I've seen them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

I mean, I still hold out for an ASOB reunion. It doesn't help that Mike Park managed to get some good reunions together for the AMR fests.

my dude weren't most of us including you at the warsaw

e: or are you talking about a full sort of permanent reunion, cause wow there's no way that'd last!

Misc fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 3, 2018