Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Awful Winter Jam 2018

Chat with us on Discord
Follow the Twitter
ART PACK . ZIP

January 5th through January 21st (Submissions close 12am GMT -6 January 22nd)
Your theme is WEIRD HISTORY

What better way to spend cold winter days than making a jam game?

The Awful Winter Jam is a relaxed competition where you make a game based around the given theme. You'll get tons of unsolicited feedback and possibly win some modest prizes!

Rules
  • Don’t be a jerk.
  • Make a game that adheres to the theme.
  • 500mb (size on disk) submission size limit.

Theme clues
The phrases below are related with this years theme. Feel free to speculate in the thread. The real theme will be announced at Midnight January 5th (GMT -6).
  • "Great scott!"
  • "Once upon a time."
  • "That's not how I remember it happening."

Never made a game before?
Now is a great time to buckle down and learn! Our Discord community is active and full of devs happy to point you in the right direction. You can also refer to the Jam Resource links below.

At the end of the jam we’ll play all the games live on stream in front of a bunch of other nerds during our regular Gong Show.

This year’s theme will be announced January 5th and marks the start of the jam. We’ll update this page when the theme is announced. You can also follow us on Twitter where we post updates on the regular.

Helpful Links

Resources for Jammers
Did I mention joining the Discord?

Calipark fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Reserved

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
It's the most wonderful time of the year.

I've always had a wonderful time working on these. I'm totally hyped.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'll try, and maybe not make the wall this year. :ohdear:

Gwienneth
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks!
I for one, look forward to keeping my spot on the Wall Of Shame.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm considering making something in Godot this year. (Even though that didn't work out so awesome last time.) If anyone's working on the 3.0 beta branch and building from source I'd be happy to burn alive with you. :getin: :unsmigghh: :shepicide:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I look forward to jamming. Is the theme Star Wars? I hear that's popular.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jo posted:

I'm considering making something in Godot this year. (Even though that didn't work out so awesome last time.) If anyone's working on the 3.0 beta branch and building from source I'd be happy to burn alive with you. :getin: :unsmigghh: :shepicide:

If anyone is wondering, it is easy to build Godot from source and the resulting executable is portable so you don't have to bother with any kind of installation. I have no idea what I'm doing w.r.t. godot itself, but I'm here in 3.0 land with you.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Aw heck yes can't wait to get up on that wall again

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014

taqueso posted:

If anyone is wondering, it is easy to build Godot from source and the resulting executable is portable so you don't have to bother with any kind of installation. I have no idea what I'm doing w.r.t. godot itself, but I'm here in 3.0 land with you.

Definitely going to do something with godot 3.0 if I join this one. Also building for the source actually went to hell for me, some missing or wrongly configured dependency somehow (despite installing everything the instructions told me to...)
But they have nightly builds available for download, so as long as your jam game won't need any engine modifications of your own you should be good to go!

I am hyping myself up to actually join this one. Probably doing something solo with absolutely terrible art. Excited to put out my proper first jam turd.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i'm definitely going to enter this time around, but with the smaller timeframe i'm hoping to score an artist or music maker who will join me in glorious victory or shame. if you're interested (and preferably are the same PST timezone as me) shoot me a message here or on the Awful Jams discord!

also here's my previous submission to Awful Summer Jam 2017, Missile Champions

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 21, 2017

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

This years theme: Scott

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Team created, hopefully will avoid the wall this time...

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Dang, already? We're still working on tweaks to bootlegs from this summer :monocle:

Hopefully we can dip into this jam, too!

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

I made a video game and the internet looked at b'owl it was a great time for all.

I'm a Unity programmer boy so if you want to Unity then we should Unify.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Awesome! I've been super busy and sick to do much lately, but hopefully I'll get through everything I need to in January to enter game jam nirvana.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Hell, it's about time!
I made that guillotine fruit slicing game last year and can make good game in UE4. Would be cool to be part of a team this year!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s already that time again? Christ, time flies. I’m in for sure! Hopefully it ends up more SUPER MEGA 256-IN-1 and less Netflix and Chill Man. I’ll most likely be making it in Fusion 2.5 again with the same artist, but we’ll see.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Oh poo poo. I don't think I'll have BatHyphenMan finished by then, but I want to participate anyway. It won't be a loving platformer again though!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Time to try and avoid the Wall of Shame again. :hellyeah:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
There is no way I can participate (I have too many things happening and I don't have any 𝕋𝕀𝕄𝔼).

Good luck to all contestants!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Junior level Unity dev/level desginer looking for team. During the summer jam I also did project management and producer tasks such as finding free assets and wrangling git.

PM me here or on the SA Game Dev discord.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
I can’t do anything besides The Code Part, but I’d hate to watch another one of these go by while I regret not at least trying. Hit me up if you’re an Art Person or Ideas Guy who wants to see their dreams come true, I can code for pretty much anything you throw at me.

Leldorion
Jan 26, 2007
Hey, I dunno who created Yo! Let's UP, but you got name-dropped in that giantbomb guest top ten thing ( Mike Bithell ). Sorry to say you lost to Prey, lol.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've got nothing to my name but a copy of RPG Maker I've never used.

Can't wait to humiliate myself while learning to ride a bicycle for the first time.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 30, 2017

Thermal Anomaly
Jul 1, 2017

by Cyrano4747
The Pitch
Judging from the theme clues I'd say this year's theme is related to time travel... and I sure hope so because my heart is set on making an XCOM clone with time maninpulation. The premise is that you command a SWAT team for the Time Police and ambush squads of heavily armed time-traveling miscreants whenever they try to mess with historical events. Also your squad leader and personal avatar has a time manipulation device that gives you time-themed powers like freezing time, punting enemies or allies forward in time, or even rewinding back to previous turns. To balance out these game-breaking powers, a Paradox Meter fills up when you activate your time powers, initially causing weird and harmless effects like graphics glitches or changes to team members' names and personal history, but escalating up to debuffs and summoning interdimensional invaders through a crack in reality.

I'm a professional coder with experience completing multiple game jams, and if you like my pitch feel free to contact me by PM or Discord about helping with the following roles:

Voice Actors
Records "radio chatter" voice lines with a professional-quality microphone.

Chiptune Composer
Composes a retro-sounding 80's darkwave chiptune soundtrack using .mp3 or tracker formats.

Scenario & Game Designer
Designs a few levels using Tiled, assigns and balances attributes for the creatures, items, and upgrades in the game using an XML editor.

Pixel Artist
Expands the Oryx Designs 16-bit style of tilesets with animations, portraits, and custom objects.

Thermal Anomaly fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 31, 2017

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Been sleep-deprived all week, finally had a chance to conk out on time last night. But then at that stage of almost-sleep where you have weird thoughts, I convinced myself that the jam had started and the theme had been announced: two things at once.

My dang insomniac brain then proceeded to design the majority of a game, including a plot, characters, scoping, and how the mechanics would be implemented. In lieu of any kind of restful sleep.

Worst part is, I really like the idea as a jam game. It'd be fun to make and (hopefully) fun to play. It is, in the most literal sense, the game of my dreams. But I don't know how well it'll line up with the actual TBA theme.

Still looking forward to Jamuary.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
We're breaking out the "Best Art" category into two new ones!

Best 3D Art
For visual and technical excellence in mesh based art. (Models, animations, shaders)

Best 2D Art
For best looking non-meshed art. (Textures, sprites, UI elements)

This will hopefully give 2D sprite based games with wonderful art a fighting chance against 3D games with also wonderful art.

By the way, jam starts Friday morning at the stroke of midnight GMT +6. That's pretty soon!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jam is good, jam is life.

Sadly I won't be able to really get started on this one until the 8th, but if anybody else is in a similar position and wants to team up to make something small, I'm up for it. I did art for SimShine and #Everest and Delenda in past jams, but maybe I'll write some code this time!

I usually program in Love2D, but art is my main thing anyhow.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/948258712342458368

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
Team Phlargenarffen is totally gonna (attempt to) take that Unreal prize :dance:

Most of my dev experience is in Unity so this is gonna be fun. But, no better way to learn :getin:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
does unity not offer awful jam prizes anymore ever since the winning unity entry was the one where you regulate your sphincter to drop mad shits

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't remember that one, but it sounds like its own reward.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm still waiting by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqoUYpqE0pw

:colbert: Maybe time traveling lizards...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I decided to go with Love2d instead of Godot since I feel more comfortable without the integrated editor and scene system and there is only a day left to practice. If anyone wants to team up, send me a message on the discord or pm me here. Any experience level is fine.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Gauging the interest of a non-goon buddy. Unity is my thing, he's good with art. Another programmer would be nice.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Just to make certain, the Winter Jam doesn't have the 3-team-member rule, correct? Inviting more shows me a warning on the AwfulJams site

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

ALFbrot posted:

Just to make certain, the Winter Jam doesn't have the 3-team-member rule, correct? Inviting more shows me a warning on the AwfulJams site

Nope, no limit on team members. Go hog wild, as the kids say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

JonTerp posted:

Nope, no limit on team members. Go hog wild, as the kids say.

Oh man, my hog is so wild right now

• Locked thread