Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Great another grimdark cop show. After Low Winter Sun I never want to see another prestige crime show again.

Tin Star owns tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

https://twitter.com/emilyrauhala/status/948499438141628416

precision posted:

Tin Star owns tho

Nah, it's a huge embarrassment for everyone involved.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

precision posted:

Tin Star owns tho

Tin Star was the worst show I watched last year and I felt bad for Tim Roth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tin Star put out a pretty wicked CD like 20 years ago.

Edit: Ha, nevermind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD52wDTEPc0

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I watched the first episode of Tin Star and hated it, as much as I liked that it had the guts to kill off the kid, removing that awful child actor from the show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AngryBooch posted:

Tin Star was the worst show I watched last year and I felt bad for Tim Roth.

less laughter posted:

Nah, it's a huge embarrassment for everyone involved.

really? explain? i thought it was great :shrug:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

precision posted:

really? explain? i thought it was great :shrug:

I actually thought the first episode had some promise but it went astray starting with the reveal about who the real badguys are, and how loving incompetent they are.

Often, the characters do things that are neither in line with their character or make logical sense. At one point, three people decide they need to cover up a murder... of a man who had illegally broken and entered a house while armed with a silenced pistol to murder them all. At one point, a character gets stockholm syndrome in literally 2 hours. Hendrick's character, who we're ostensibly supposed to root for later in the series, wants to blackmail the company she works for to improve her position and threatens a witness's life to do it. She's literally the same as the corporate bad guy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AngryBooch posted:

I actually thought the first episode had some promise but it went astray starting with the reveal about who the real badguys are, and how loving incompetent they are.

Often, the characters do things that are neither in line with their character or make logical sense. At one point, three people decide they need to cover up a murder... of a man who had illegally broken and entered a house while armed with a silenced pistol to murder them all. At one point, a character gets stockholm syndrome in literally 2 hours. Hendrick's character, who we're ostensibly supposed to root for later in the series, wants to blackmail the company she works for to improve her position and threatens a witness's life to do it. She's literally the same as the corporate bad guy.

To be fair she's a traumatised teenage girl with a hunky kidnapper.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I quit watching after the show had the daughter ask Tim Roth a question out of nowhere for the sole purpose of having him lie to her about it so it could come back on him later. I'm so done with conflict centered around families lying to each other.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
What has Stephen Dorff even been doing? Last I saw him was a few years ago selling e-cigs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bentacos posted:

What has Stephen Dorff even been doing? Last I saw him was a few years ago selling e-cigs.

You just answered your own question

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bentacos posted:

Last I saw him in was a flick called American Hero last year about a loser who gets telekinetic powers. He was a ton of fun in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looking up something unrelated on IMDB and I just learned that there's going to be a new British TV adaptation of the Moomin stories with a hell of a cast.

Taron Egerton - Moomintroll

Kate Winslet - Mrs. Fillyjonk

Rosamund Pik - Moominmamma

Richard Ayoade - The Ghost

Matt Berry - Moominpappa

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, serious question inspired by another thread.

What is the popular opinion on Ed Pisker? I mean, Hip Hop Family Tree is excellent but he kind of looks like the biggest tool in the box.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wot if Anthony Fontano but hip hop

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Tin Star owns tho

We're the only two that think that.

Most people seem to think it's just a bad tryhard grimdark immitation of a bunch of other shows.

I've never seen another show that forces the viewer into the perspective of various characters so well.

Like the show is literally about judging characters based on how their actions seem from your limited perspective. So it's a story that's constantly showing characters do things for reasons that aren't explained to us. As we get more an more information about each character, things start to come together.

It's really well done and pretty damning of general grimdark badassery.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Wot if Anthony Fontano but hip hop
That's just Anthony Fantano

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm rewatching some peak 30 Rock and holy crap how did I forget how great this show was

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I'm rewatching some peak 30 Rock and holy crap how did I forget how great this show was

There's a reason Bob Greenblatt keeps begging Tina Fey to bring it back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Put down your meth, slip on your whites, come on America it's tennis night"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Canada? Why not just go to Iraq?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Travelers s2 was pretty good.

Def chexk it out if you liked the first season. If you didn't like the first season, it's not going to change your mind.

It doesn't really shore up any of the flaws, but it keeps doing what it's doing in an great way.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Travelers s2 was pretty good.

Def chexk it out if you liked the first season. If you didn't like the first season, it's not going to change your mind.

It doesn't really shore up any of the flaws, but it keeps doing what it's doing in an great way.

I think it does fix a lot of the flaws. It's miles easier to follow and the story flows a lot better. Especially toward the second half of the season when all the pieces start to fit together.

There are some stellar episodes in season 2.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Episode 7 is insanely cool

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest flaw in travellees is that there just isn't enough character development. It's like they toy with the idea, but thats like 5% of the show. Tmshe show is like 60% rote plot jargon and 35% really cool time travel ideas.

The story isn't really enough to carry the show without investment in the characters. The characters aren't developed enough to lend real stakes to the plot.

So you're left with some good ideas that are hardly ever explored. You do get some peeks at the characters, but a lot of that is cyclical. I feel like most of the characters individual stories were the same in both seasons.

Season 3 is going to have to really dig into the characters to work, and the show hasn't really demonstrated that it's capable of doing that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

Episode 7 is insanely cool

Amanda Tapping directed that episode, and 8-9 as well as 4.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Okay, serious question inspired by another thread.

What is the popular opinion on Ed Pisker? I mean, Hip Hop Family Tree is excellent but he kind of looks like the biggest tool in the box.

Maybe the single best storyteller working in comics at the moment. He has an incredible grasp of cartooning, he takes on these ambitious projects, and he makes them work. Long before he was any kind of name, I had Harvey Pekar's The Beats: A Graphic History, which Piskor drew most of. I have all four Hip Hop Family Tree volumes, which are gorgeous books, after falling in love with the 2014 Free Comic Book Day issue. I can't wait for the matching oversized volumes of X-Men: Grand Design, but to support him, I even went out and bought the #1 issue, and I almost never buy single issues anymore and NEVER double-dip when I know collected editions are coming.

Mike Allred remains my favorite artist working in comics, but Ed Piskor and Tom Scioli have really risen up my list of top talents. There's an interesting podcast where both of them are interviewed at the same time. They're both Pittsburgh pals and even share a studio: https://boingboing.net/2014/08/23/tmsidk30.html

Piskor seems very cocky and brash in this interview and another more recent one (Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men), with none of the typical self-deprecation most pros at least attempt. But he has earned the right to be cocky.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lord help me, I think the final season of The Good Wife is about the 2016 election.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Maybe the single best storyteller working in comics at the moment. He has an incredible grasp of cartooning, he takes on these ambitious projects, and he makes them work. Long before he was any kind of name, I had Harvey Pekar's The Beats: A Graphic History, which Piskor drew most of. I have all four Hip Hop Family Tree volumes, which are gorgeous books, after falling in love with the 2014 Free Comic Book Day issue. I can't wait for the matching oversized volumes of X-Men: Grand Design, but to support him, I even went out and bought the #1 issue, and I almost never buy single issues anymore and NEVER double-dip when I know collected editions are coming.

Mike Allred remains my favorite artist working in comics, but Ed Piskor and Tom Scioli have really risen up my list of top talents. There's an interesting podcast where both of them are interviewed at the same time. They're both Pittsburgh pals and even share a studio: https://boingboing.net/2014/08/23/tmsidk30.html

Piskor seems very cocky and brash in this interview and another more recent one (Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men), with none of the typical self-deprecation most pros at least attempt. But he has earned the right to be cocky.

This went in the wrong thread. All the January 2018 threads have too similar titles drat it!

Thanks for answering though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

It's my favorite show of all time.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I found The Wire Season 1 at Walmart for $10 so it became a late Christmas present and, even though it's been a slow buildup to this point, I'm enjoying it. Think I just finished episode 4, the one with the topless, lesbian makeout session at the end.

Rhyno posted:

I don't want to live in a world where Frisky Dingo ever becomes less funny.

I got bored with the second season's campaign and gave up on it during its first run. I didn't actually finish that season until [as] was streaming it sometime last year and wished I'd have stuck with it, because the last 5-6 episodes are as fun as the first season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CBJSprague24 posted:

I found The Wire Season 1 at Walmart for $10 so it became a late Christmas present and, even though it's been a slow buildup to this point, I'm enjoying it. Think I just finished episode 4, the one with the topless, lesbian makeout session at the end.

The world building is slow but amazing, so when things get a kick up the butt you’re insanely invested as you know the ins and outs of both sides. I love season 1 so much.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Surprising no one, Megan Ganz had it out with Dan Harmon on Twitter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I've pretty much had enough of Dan Harmon for the rest of my life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/EW/status/948982476222935040

I feel like there was something else he was supposed to be working on :thunk:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

I feel like there was something else he was supposed to be working on :thunk:

Fantasy Football is over for the season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AFAIK, he's not really involved with that series to a significant degree. Someone else was writing it I think.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

AFAIK, he's not really involved with that series to a significant degree. Someone else was writing it I think.

Yeah, Jeff Buhler wrote the TV movie that served as the pilot and they put together a writers room a while back to assemble scripts. Martin has an executive producer credit because he wrote the short story but he isn't really part of it.

Rhyno posted:

Man, I've pretty much had enough of Dan Harmon for the rest of my life.

Yeah, his pseudo-apologies are really starting to wear thin, especially in that exchange with Ganz--he can't actually own up to what he did, he's saying she has to publicly accuse him and say what he did to her before he'll cop to it, which is 31 flavors of manipulative bullshit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dan Harmon is definitely a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wait I'm allowed to get pissed that my boss is a dumb piece of poo poo who treats me like garbage? Or did I miss Harmon doing something else?