Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

blizzard tomorrow heck to yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Reality Loser posted:

Wasn't there another game that came out around the same time as Gone Home, but had you exploring a mansion in 2d? I seem to remember it getting talked up as goty/ games as art, but I can't remember what it was called.

That was Maniac Mansion but it was a bit earlier, op

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also Phantasmagoria

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That was Maniac Mansion but it was a bit earlier, op

Lmao god drat

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Braid is good but it's been overshadowed over the years. The Witness is just flat out fantastic though and is literally one of the best puzzle games ever made

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

I thought you hated Overwatch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gone home was just an easy mode remake of The Uninvited

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

Mr. Blow was also tweeting some Utterly Bananas Stuff about gender essentialism like two weeks ago and now i feel bad for liking the witness as much as i did
he's also a weirdo libertarian that unironically tweets stuff that a bad guy in a Bioshock game would say

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

I and really paranoid about losing power. I have a thing tomorrow that really requires me having power

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Olive! posted:

I thought you hated Overwatch

you thought......... right !!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

he's also a weirdo libertarian that unironically tweets stuff that a bad guy in a Bioshock game would say

Yeah but his games are still good so :shrug:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Braid was cool enough, I'd never play it again but I enjoyed what it did, it seemed to have a few genuinely clever ideas and it managed to execute them well.

The Witness, I dunno, I keep contemplating it, but honestly if I was gonna get a weird atmospheric puzzle game, I'd probably get Obduction instead.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the witness would be better if they cut like 60% of the content, it's horrifically overdeveloped. Braid is his better game

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The real Witness was us, as we witnessed the assassination of Johnathan Blow's character, by the coward Jonathan Blow

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow I had no idea what tacoma is and it's on sale half off right now so I know what I'm doing tonight, getting baked and exploring a space station :woop:

Assuming the laptop can run it, that is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

resident evil 1 remake is a cool game, i think im almost done but I probably missed some secrets. well, I know i let some people die and I have no idea if that will wind up having any impact beyond a final cutscene wrap-up or if they would have done more junk around the mansion if they hadnt bit it. Im gonna play again as Jill once I finish probably, I love this game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

blow is worth it for the soulja boy video

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Witness more like Witness Deez Nuts

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

Oh wow I had no idea what tacoma is and it's on sale half off right now so I know what I'm doing tonight, getting baked and exploring a space station :woop:

brother have you played prey on easy while high

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The White Dragon posted:

brother have you played prey on easy while high

All games are played while high, what kind of question is this

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I play on Ultra :smug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anybody made a gone home mod that adds monsters, obtuse puzzles, and combat?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

This is basically RE7 and it's not great, IMO.

edit; duhhh

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Sounds like you want to add some kind.of...resident evil....to the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

codenameFANGIO posted:

All games are played while high, what kind of question is this

Macaluso posted:

I play on Ultra :smug:

I buy that strain sometimes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Eternal Darkness

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^^No but good

Also rock paper scissors with 3 colors isnt obtuse

In Training posted:

This is basically RE7 and it's not great, IMO.

edit; duhhh

Hah

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Firewatch is fuckin' poo poo. There's an anticlimax and then there's a game that basically forces you to live out a game developer's weird relationship baggage. I'll grant that it attempts some neat ideas, but the fact that it hinges much of the tension of its plot on a complete farce, undermines all of the development between the main cast and basically nullifies any real impact or meaning to the choices you make during it leaves you feeling like your time was completely wasted.
Lol, you're projecting super hard, dude.

Firewatch is a great game because its a really strong thematic character piece in a medium that still has very few. The ending is a great summation of the game's major theme of the dangers of trying to run away from your problems instead of confronting them. Both Henry and Delilah are huge flakes trying to ignore their problems who both try to hide in a fantasy of government conspiracies and the supernatural until they're confronted by the harsh reality of a man that kept running away from his problems just like them to the point he became a crazy recluse living alone in the woods. And your choices do matter because whether Henry learns anything like Delilah did is entirely up to the player.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't want to shoot the monsters, i want to hear their story

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

resident evil 1 remake is a cool game, i think im almost done but I probably missed some secrets. well, I know i let some people die and I have no idea if that will wind up having any impact beyond a final cutscene wrap-up or if they would have done more junk around the mansion if they hadnt bit it. Im gonna play again as Jill once I finish probably, I love this game.

if you let richard die you lose out on the combat shotgun, i don't think rebecca gets you anything other than a better ending

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Macaluso posted:

congratulations you are no monster

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Macaluso posted:

don't forget to date the skeleton

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The Colonel posted:

if you let richard die you lose out on the combat shotgun, i don't think rebecca gets you anything other than a better ending

Rebecca has to live, she's the key to the entire franchise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Rebecca has to live, she's the key to the entire franchise.

Well she ate poo poo because I didnt know where she was, since Chris just said "somewhere on the 2nd floor"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Really Pants posted:

don't forget to date the skeleton

every game should have dating. undertale, life is strange: before the storm, overwatch

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I and really paranoid about losing power. I have a thing tomorrow that really requires me having power

Playing videogames?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Macaluso posted:

every game should have dating. undertale, life is strange: before the storm, overwatch

Overwatch has an incredible ton of dating :confused:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Resident Evil

quote:

Should I date/save Richard or Rebecca?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just finished pyre and cried like a baby through reading the summaries of what happened in the epilogue and then also during the credits song

• Locked thread