Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
See, this is why I don't like dinosaurs in D&D, nor will I play Dino Crisis. I don't want to kill dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Night10194 posted:

Everyone needs more cute baby monsters goddamnit.

Everyone.

Here you go.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Halloween Jack posted:

Reign. But then, Reign doesn't have D&D wizards. Really, in a D&D 3e setting, it makes no sense to have an army if you could just train a cadre of spellcasters.

I think it'd come down to how easily you can train someone to be a wizard. is magic something that anyone can figure out on their own, from first principles, provided they're persistent enough? does it involve some kind of innate On/Off switch, like midichlorians, where only specific people can ever learn magic in the first place? how easily accessible are spell tomes / scrolls, and how willing are other wizards to share what they know?

assuming that magic isn't something just anyone can learn by trying hard enough, and that there's a fairly high barrier to entry even for a potential student/adept, I think conventional armies would still see use. Either because there's no guarantee that your nation will be able to field many/any wizards, or because they're extremely high-value ordinances and you don't risk busting them out to put down some random peasant rebellion, on the off-chance that they catch an unlucky crit and get dropped.

now, D&D 3E clerics are an entirely different issue, because they're just as (potentially) deadly as a wizard and pretty much anyone can learn to be one, provided they pass the most basic attribute minimums (11+ Wisdom). a RAW-physics-as-reality D&D 3E setting would still probably have fairly few arcane casters, but clerics would be nearly dime-a-dozen and you'd have a significant portion of your army comprised of clerics because why not, a 1st level cleric is nearly as good at martial combat as a 1st level fighter, plus they get divine spells that require next to zero effort to maintain. as long as you align your monarchy with whomever is currently the most popular deity, you've got a basically endless supply of Fighters But Better In Every Way That Matters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think most D&D settings default to having Wizardry be something you learn either from apprenticeship or going to a wizard college. (Like law. Wizards are lawyers.)

That gets me thinking. The first D&D I ever played was actually the AD&D Pool of Radiance videogame. In that game, only wizards can learn spells because only they can cast read magic, which you need to read whatever mystical language spells are written in. But how did they learn read magic? They must be born wizards, or else learning read magic is an arduous process.

The Guardians of the Flame series, which AFAIK is the first "D&D players get transported into D&D land" work, made read magic something you're either born with or not.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Halloween Jack posted:

I think most D&D settings default to having Wizardry be something you learn either from apprenticeship or going to a wizard college. (Like law. Wizards are lawyers.)

Fancy gowns, special language full of latin and psuedo-latin terms, obsessed with ritualistic performances of specific gestures and phrases at specific times, and able to define reality along subjective and arbitrary terms if they're good enough?

Yep. It all checks out.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Not to derail too hard (too late) but the Craft Sequence books by Max Gladstone are literally about wizard lawyers and the ones I've read have been pretty good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That was actually one of the things in Ironclaw: Magic, even 'divine' magic, just required you to find a tutor and know how to read. The printing press and subsequent rise in literacy was proliferating magic just as the gun was changing warfare.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

The Guardians of the Flame series, which AFAIK is the first "D&D players get transported into D&D land" work

Quag Keep by Andre Norton.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Reign's magic premise was that anyone can learn a low level spell with enough time, and lots of people know a cantrip or two. If you wanted to get deep into magic, though, you had to either learn a spell to link you to a particular school's magical ability, or horribly mutate yourself in some way, like turning into a centaur or turning your bones into iron, which has the side effect of locking you out of any other school of magic. It makes the mages of the more overt schools very, very easy to point out and target in a fight compared to common foot soldiers, in addition to how such mutations would affect your day to day life. Hope your fire-bleeding flame dancer doesn't get a paper cut!

I really appreciate how much Stolze thinks about the logical extensions of magic systems he builds. Too much fantasy ignores the effect its own magic would have on its setting.

That said, I could see a PDQ or other light system game of wizards arguing codified physical laws like lawyers in battle. Counterspelling through citing case law would be fun at the table.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Loomer posted:

Fancy gowns, special language full of latin and psuedo-latin terms, obsessed with ritualistic performances of specific gestures and phrases at specific times, and able to define reality along subjective and arbitrary terms if they're good enough?

Yep. It all checks out.
I mean, there's an entire body of conspiracy theory that exists because to an alienated working class, the legal profession appears to be a magical means of exercising power and taking all your stuff.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I've always wanted to have a setting where this worked backwards and wizards were the type of people who indulged in magical thinking. So you've got warlocks declaring that they are a separate person from the entity that signed their name on the patron contract because look, it's written in all caps, theurgists who argue that gods are a sort of boat, and so on.

In said setting, the cabal of wizards who tried to call up demons via Negging (PUA bullshit being another form of magical thinking, obviously) proved not to last very long in the face of actual demons with actual claws and fangs, because trying to convince demons that they want to do your bidding when you insult them just doesn't work well in the face of actual demons.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The idea of Counterspelling being a lesson at boot camp is both cool and good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Leraika posted:

Not to derail too hard (too late) but the Craft Sequence books by Max Gladstone are literally about wizard lawyers and the ones I've read have been pretty good.

I asked Max Gladstone about this a while ago on twitter and apparently the only reason there isn't already a Craft Sequence RPG is no one has figured out a fun, flavorful and relatively fast way to make the magic work.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Dallbun posted:

380: Deception

While they’re walking down a winding path at dusk, a kindly old man (actually a rakshasa rajah) approaches the PCs and asks them to join him for dinner. He takes them into his cottage and charms them with entertaining tales, “stories designed to compliment the males and flatter the females of the party.” Take note, everyone: you need to compliment men and flatter women.

Although charming, he’s distracted, and neither he nor any servants ever actually bring food. (I wouldn’t be expecting many servants in a cottage anyway.) Once someone points this out or he’s told a couple stories, he dimension doors out, removes the spectral force (illusion) on the house, and it turns out the PCs are in a huge steel cage with extremely thick bars. (Wouldn’t people have noticed the wind blowing inside the house?) He intends to eat one of them each day until there are none left.

I like the goofy fairy tale vibe, but this is a high-level AD&D encounter. If the true seeings don’t come out immediately, this guy is just going to get blasted with magic from inside the cage. I mean, I guess that’s okay? It’s an encounter where the moral of the story is “don’t gently caress with 10th+ level adventurers”? Keep.

Fresh take: Keep the basic set-up. Have the Rakshasa be condescending to any party members who don't appear at first glance to be powerful. Have him slowly realize that these are, in fact, high level adventurers he doesn't want to gently caress with. Go from him playing cat and mouse to desperately trying to convince the party to just move along, nothing interesting here, sorry you can't stay for the nght, but there's no room...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

That was actually one of the things in Ironclaw: Magic, even 'divine' magic, just required you to find a tutor and know how to read. The printing press and subsequent rise in literacy was proliferating magic just as the gun was changing warfare.

And Eberron has a specific NPC class for the blue-collar magical working class of Khorvaire. Magic is something anyone can learn in school, the PC classes like wizard and sorcerer are just indicative of more intensive studying or natural powers than anything you'd learn in a normal school.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Demon_Corsair posted:

Thinking about orcs as Roman legions, has any game really thought about what large scale military tactics would look like when mages can drop meteors, poison clouds, or mind control generals?

I guess you would see small scale unit tactics similar to the modern day.

Now I'm imagining a charge by a group of knights or cataphracts being stopped dead by a well placed stone to mud spell.

The World's Largest Dungeon had a wonderfully stupid case of this in action.

Section B is goblinoid focuses and has the "holy goblin empire", a group of goblins trained to fight by hobgoblin supporters. This is still a dungeon, so the largest rooms are maybe 50 or 60 feet square, most are smaller. The goblins are largely met as random encounters or appear in preset spots in numbers ranging around a dozen.

So, in the interest of making them more "military" the writers suggest that when these groups encounter PCs their first action should be to form "ranks", 4 goblins wide and as deep as their numbers allow. This means, when this small group of weak opponents encounters an only slightly smaller group of stronger opponents their first tactic is not "surround and flank" or "retreat and get reinforcements", but rather they waste time moving themselves into an ideal position for AoE bombardment while also nullifying any numerical advantage they had (they were not equipped with ranged or reached weapons, so the back rows basically just sit there).

This could work for Pathfinder-style "lol, murdertards" goblins, but there's no indication this is a joke or parody. What's more, it's just one of the incredibly stupid ideas with these goblins. Another is giving them the Improved Sunder feat...and their spears inflict 1d4+1 damage. They couldn't even break their own weapons.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

BREAD OR STONE – PART 5

gently caress This poo poo I'm Out

On maybe the fourth day, it's announced that the LPV have been captured and the tracks have been fixed. Jazmina comes to see the investigators off at the train station. She plans to move to Paris and invites the investigators to visit her, but first she'll have to sort out her father's estate. In accordance with his wishes, she'll be contacting Dr. Radko Jordanov in Sofia to get him to inspect the items recovered from the Crusader's Tomb – the good doctor will have his own role to play when the investigators get to Sofia.

As the train pulls out, Jazmina waves goodbye from the platform, but is interrupted when she sees a pack of cops beating a man in front of his wife. After a few days in Vinkovci, the investigators can now see that the man is Croatian and the cops are Serbian. If you're familiar with the history of Yugoslavia, you know that things aren't going to get better from here.

Rescuing Jazmina is worth 1D3 SAN, as is finding the body of Dr. Moric. Every cudoviste killed gains them another 1D3. Putting down Belenzada gets them 1D2 SAN, but persuading him to hand over the Mims Sahis gets them 1D4. Destroying the Mims Sahis nets them a further 1D6.

Alternatively…

What if the investigators don't destroy the Mims Sahis? They may decide they'd rather hold onto the blade, seeing as it's so useful and clearly related to the Simulacrum in some way. This is a dangerous idea but one the game encourages, even going so far as including a cut-out Mims Sahis to be laminated and handed to the players – a diabolical little trick to make them attach undue significance to the knife.

The Mims Sahis is a small black knife of crude design made of a substance that looks like black obsidian. The hilt is wrapped in the leather of a marine animal that no longer exists. It is supernaturally sharp and it never loses its edge. The Voorish never had the opportunity to make more than one.

As a weapon, it does a hefty amount of damage for its size (2D4+DB). It ignores any armour its target might be wearing and half of the damage it deals becomes permanent wounds that can never be healed except through magic. As a tool, it is a necessary component to many of the Skinless One's rituals and can allow its user to do new and exciting things with skin. In particular, it's really good at flaying people and can be used to create new relics for the Skinless One, perhaps even a whole new Simulacrum if you put in the time. In addition, it's a battery of magical power, sucking up MAG from its victims and storing up to 25 points inside of itself.

However, it's still an evil artefact, and it was designed first and foremost to cull the human herd. It imbues its wielder with a strange sense of purpose, and using the blade quickly becomes an addiction. It costs its owner 1 Sanity for every week that its owned, as well as 1D3 SAN every time it's used – 'used' is kinda vague here, but I assume it doesn't mean every time it makes a cut, or Belenzada would be totally bonkers. After losing 20 points, the owner of the blade has become ensnared and must make a Hard Power roll if they want to relinquish it. If it drives them all the way down to 0 SAN, they have become a tool of the Skinless One and can no longer be played.

The question might arise: can the Mims Sahis damage or destroy the Simulacrum? It can't even leave a dent. However, when someone applies the blade to the Simulacrum, it feels good. Really loving good. The blade glides over the statue's surface smoother than silk, and the wielder gains sudden insight into the art of skin. Applying the Mims Sahis to the Simulacrum gives its user 1D10 points in the skill Art (Skin Human) and costs them the same amount of Sanity.

Next time: Belgrade! And racism!

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

JackMann posted:

Fresh take: Keep the basic set-up. Have the Rakshasa be condescending to any party members who don't appear at first glance to be powerful. Have him slowly realize that these are, in fact, high level adventurers he doesn't want to gently caress with. Go from him playing cat and mouse to desperately trying to convince the party to just move along, nothing interesting here, sorry you can't stay for the nght, but there's no room...

This sounds hilarious, especially since the rakshasa didn't even prepare any actual dinner.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Best mages are WHFb/rpg makes, since they can explode. All mages should have a chance of horrible fuckups.

The second best are from Dominions, since they get fatigued from casting spells and can pass out/die... if cavalry or fliers aimed at your back lines don't get to them first!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm not sure how serious you are but no, "insane power but you have a random chance of arbitrarily exploding" is an awful mechanic

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It isn't a good mechanic, no. It is extremely rare to really do serious harm by a miscast, though.

In Fantasy, anyway. They made it significantly more dangerous in 40kRP. Also significantly more dangerous TO YOUR PARTY, not just your individual PC. Ask the average DH1e party how well they can survive surprise Unbound Demonhost where their Psyker used to be!

For instance, my personal group has 2 mages who use their magic all the time. They get the occasional 'I got doubles and something spooky happened or I suffered a minor setback' problems, but getting triples is impossible until you have 3 Mag (unless using Dark Magic), unlikely even when you do, and quadruples on 4d10 is almost never going to come up, and that's the only table that can actually turbofuck you (and even then you can still spend Fate).

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 4, 2018

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I've been reading the new Revised Stars Without Numbers, and may be posting it because it has a LOT of really rad ideas inside, but I like how the Psionics chapters have little asides about the use and practicality of each type of Psychics.

Biopsionics: Everyone freaking LOVES them, and you can explicitly make tons of cash just hiring yourself out to local hospitals for a few hours a week, because instant healing is worth gobs of cash.

Metapsionics: Super rare, but if you act as a Psionic tutor for hire you can make money hand over fist, also popular as anti-Psychic bodyguards and mercenaries.

Precognition: Actually useless! Precogs can't get the full context of what they see, and they can misinterpret stuff due to personal biases so most people find them creepy and useless, only hired by the foolish or desperate.

Telekinesis: Also useless in polite society! So what you can lift a car with your brain, we have forklifts that can do that for cheaper and easier.

Telepaths: Either mental spies for private organizations and governments, or gently caress you your powers are worthless. Using them is basically a crime everywhere and people hate and fear them. It technically would be incredibly useful for diplomacy or therapy, but it's too creepy for most people to give it a chance.

Teleporters: Either government agents or highly paid mercenaries. Some are criminals, but because of how teleportation works this earns you an instant death-sentence or a surgically implanted bomb.

Since the setting is by default a world that has basically moved on from and rejected relying on psychics in any way, this all fits and leaves your character mostly taking career paths that fit dashing adventurer types.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What's also good about Warhammer magic is that the more powerful spells will either make peasants think you're a demon and get witch hunters coming after you, or be sensed by a bunch of other wizards from your college who will come and ask why it was necessary to blow up a square mile of forest, again.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Why arbitrarily? You should have more chance of exploding the more power you want to use. It's all a matter of getting the numbers right and I like the idea conceptually. Much better than dealing with Vancian magic, mana points and whatever.

What does Shadow of Demon Lord do to limit mages?

E: Bright wizards don't feel like the sort of folk that would question the necessity of blowing something up. Blowing something up is its own reward.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

White Coke posted:

What's also good about Warhammer magic is that the more powerful spells will either make peasants think you're a demon and get witch hunters coming after you, or be sensed by a bunch of other wizards from your college who will come and ask why it was necessary to blow up a square mile of forest, again.

With the added implication that if you had a good reason people will just go 'Oh, yeah, saving the world, carry on.'

E: There's generally a lot less outright hatred of wizards in WHF compared to Psykers in 40k. When we get to Realms of Sorcery they do a great job of fleshing out the relationship between the colleges and the Empire and how it is to go to a more grounded wizard college that leaves you with crippling student loans. Suffice to say the various colleges all have an interest in not scaring the public since they're trying to convince people they're helpful, under control, and able to police themselves (in hope of no longer having to show their licenses to every Hunter in the Empire on every meeting with any of them.)

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 4, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm not sure how serious you are but no, "insane power but you have a random chance of arbitrarily exploding" is an awful mechanic
Occasionally it meshes with the setting: spellcasting in Call of Cthulhu, psykers in Dark Heresy, or using mutant powers in Paranoia, for example.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

JcDent posted:

Why arbitrarily? You should have more chance of exploding the more power you want to use. It's all a matter of getting the numbers right and I like the idea conceptually. Much better than dealing with Vancian magic, mana points and whatever.reward.

Conceptually, but nobody likes to have a character that could suddenly turn into a pair of smothering pointy-toed shoes due to an unlucky dice roll, it may fit in-world, but for a player, especially if the player has a tendency to be really unlucky with dice - they'll be sitting out and rolling up a new character while everyone else has fun.

And with the 40K example, not only does it screw over the player by pure luck, it can often end up in TPKs, which breeds resentment towards the player for having the temerity for being unlucky while the table has to make new characters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, if you roll particularly badly in WH40K your head explodes as A bloodthirster of Khorne erupts out of your skull, eager to wreak havok on the stupid Psyker who dares be smart rather than stronk.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean there's a whole lot of things at work here, it'd take a while to unpack.

Randomness sucks in general because it's less interesting than player agency.

Extremely strong negative effects with very small chances of occurring suck even more because given how human psychology works no one really ever expects it to happen and they'll almost inevitably be mad or disappointed when it does.

Powers so strong that you have to balance them with "eventually you'll have to tear up your character sheet" are more often than not simply too strong in the first place. (And if they aren't, then there's even less justification for the "tear up your character sheet" part!)

A better way to handle it* is how Going Loud works in Demon: you get ultimate power for a brief, temporary moment and you consent to paying the cost (which basically amounts to losing a major asset from your character sheet and also narratively giving the GM permission to throw ten kinds of hell at you). Everyone can do it, it's a dependable tit-for-tat arrangement, and it conveys a thematic sense of desperation much better than "eventually this will kill you, maybe, whenever the dice feel like it."

* in a game that isn't Paranoia or something else where the point is to abuse the players and laugh at their struggles anyways

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A better way to handle it* is how Going Loud works in Demon: you get ultimate power for a brief, temporary moment and you consent to paying the cost (which basically amounts to losing a major asset from your character sheet and also narratively giving the GM permission to throw ten kinds of hell at you). Everyone can do it, it's a dependable tit-for-tat arrangement, and it conveys a thematic sense of desperation much better than "eventually this will kill you, maybe, whenever the dice feel like it."

* in a game that isn't Paranoia or something else where the point is to abuse the players and laugh at their struggles anyways

I am the person the RNG takes the time out of their day to personally poo poo on when I game. In my last game, the only time my character ever hit anything was when the GM took over for me when I had to go to work. So I admit, my lousy luck with dice makes me instantly hate any 'roll this, and you're dead, no save, no grace' mechanics like that in games outside of Paranoia or intentionally highly lethal but easy chargen.

Going Loud is a pretty good way to do the power-at-price.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Going Loud works because Demon is a spy game, and you're doing it the same way a spy does it when he pulls the assault rifles and grenades and body armor out to blast through the cops with handguns.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

BOOK FOUR: Magnetism

Or

Useless Elven Mind Bullshit

A Really Brief History of Magic

So there were many ~wonderful empires~ of magicians and demonologists and necromancers in Times Of Old back when magic flowed like lava out a volcano. Then the forces of Order started hooting and hollering about how magic is a tool of Entropy and invented organized religions and started clobbering people they disliked. Heresy, Emprah, etc. The sole exception is the use of hermetic magic because it involves grabbing the aether of the universe and twisting it…solely because Simon Paul, one of the Voices of the Archons of the Aluminat knew how to use it and renounced its use until a bunch of cardinals decided no it’s okay. So people who want to use hermetic magic are allowed to pay indulgences to use it and this creates the first Orders which oversees magic use and punishes bad mages.

the first paragraph is full of liiiiiiiiiies

Then religious schisms in the Aluminat happen and then so does the Thirty Years War wherein the forces of Entropy work overtime to tempt people and spread magic harder than they did during the Black Plague. On top of that the church gets in trouble for Indulgences and ultimately the first Consortium of Hermetic Guilds is made from existing orders working together.

So yeah magic is still heavily oppressed and monitored, especially if you learn Forbidden Arts such as necromancy or demonology. However, despite the oppression of Not Fully Evil Magics, it’s still accepted. Magnetic abilities are a fact of life, conjurors can practice their craft if they’re licensed and so are runesmiths.

Once more, the main types of magic are:
  • Empirical Thaumaturgy, or more commonly known as Hermeticism. Hermeticism is what the Guild loves and it’s grabbing and yanking aether from the universe and manipulating it.
  • Petty conjuring is really more enchanting. You imbue something with aether and Quintessence and leave a trigger for future activation. Commonly used by Cunning Folk or inventors combining magic and tech.
  • Sigils straddle the line between conjuring and hermeticism. Sigils are created when one carves a aetheric rune into an item and imbues it with your own Quintessence. Sigils can’t do much besides whatever the inscribed rune means but they will do that well until actively hosed with. Commonly used by inventors or runesmiths.
  • Magnetism is raw psychic power that all Eldren naturally have a connection to. Magnetism breaks down further into Clairvoyance, Spiritualism and Goeticism. The latter is incredibly contentious under the auspices of the Church. They consider Goetic magic to be legit miracles and not just petty magic and they will not hear otherwise.
  • Last there’s the Maleficium, the forbidden magics that are weapons of demons that seduce magicians into corruption by repeated use. This is done by answering cults and teaching them how or just leaving forbidden tomes everywhere. The two main magics of the Maleficium are demonology and necromancy.
How to Do a drat Magic

Your Quintessence is 6 points per point of Resolve and that’s what you need to cast. You roll Relevant Attribute+Magic Skill and generally need two successes to cast a spell. On top of that each spell has a Difficulty rating where you must roll black dice equal to the Difficulty. Any black successes left after gobbling the roll successes deal 1 health pip of damage to the caster.

Reminder: three dice in a pool can automatically be turned into a single success. If you want to just fire off a spell with 0 Difficulty and no roll, you better have at least 6 dice in that pool. But don’t focus on building too big of a pool! You should be well-rounded instead of specialized!

The Quintessence cost depends on the magic. Everything that isn’t Conjuring or Magnetism just has a set cost. All Magnetic spells are 2 Quint a pop and Conjuration has two costs: the cost of the crafting ritual and the cost of the activation. If you run out of Quintessence, you can power your spells with lethal loss of health pips.

The amount of time it takes to cast a spell is rounds equal to Cost-1. You have to make Concentration rolls if you're interrupted while casting a spell, etc. etc. Standard D&Dish stuff. If you want to defend yourself you have to use half of your dice pool for the spell and halve the pool for your Concentration roll. And of course if you fail the roll, you lose the Quintessence or health sunk into casting the spell and nothing happens. Quintessence at least regenerates at a reasonable rate: sleep to get it all back, regain 1 pip for 2 hours of inactive rest or 4 hours of activity or you can force regeneration with a Resolve+Concentration roll that takes 1 hour and gives 1 Quint per success. Anyway that's enough brass tacks let's bring on the magic.

MAGNETISM

Magnetism is the most recently name for psychic powers, coined by Franz Mesmer who was in fact an Eldren. Generally speaking all Eldren know some Magnetic powers and they're uncommon but possible in other subspecies. Non-Eldren who know Magnetism tend to be alienists who use their powers to help their patients. Either way, all folks with Magnetism tend to have powers from birth and tend to have just one or two powers. They can control them to certain extents depending on what they know how to do but a lack of finesse tends to be the downside of Magnetism. The upside is that because you're a natural conduit for aether, they're easier to use and it's easier to gauge distance and range.

Clairvoyance

You know what Clairvoyance is, you're reading this thread. The law of England is trying to figure out where clairvoyants fit in with society and justice but most make a normal living or go for the fortune teller angle. To most people, being clairvoyant isn't much different than normal, you just have a different sense you have. I'll be including the difficulties for the powers.
  • Aura Reading (1) lets you read one aura at a time. This power is exactly what you think it is.
  • Glimpse (2) is your typical precog flash of confusing insight where you can't select what you see but you know exactly what happens. The flashes tend to be within the next week.
  • Know Living History (1): I gotta share this text verbatim. "This ability allows a clairvoyant to see the recent past of a living being. A successful roll grants knowledge of recent events occurring around the person being studied. The nature of the knowledge gleaned from such an observation is often incomplete and fragmented, and is often trivial and of no obvious use." Cool so the power is useless? I thought this was going to be, like, your standard insightful flash, thanks for telling me to not take this power.
  • Magic Sense (0) lets you...sense magic. Like if you were to cast the cantrip Detect Magic except it functions as a tingle on the back of your neck when not in immediate use and then you make Wits+Perception within 10 yards of the source of the tingle. What's notable is that other magicians or magical creatures don't register as being a source of magic unless they're casting a spell. In order to detect them, you have to make a Presence+Clairvoyance roll to see if there are any around and what kind of magic they're involved in.
  • Psychometry (1) is exactly that. Touch a thing, read past emotions and history.
  • See the Supernatural (0) is...exactly that. See ghosts, things possessing people or invisible entities. This doesn't tingle like Magic Sense though, this is just "I walk into the room and cast See the Supernatural" all day every day.
  • Sixth Sense (1) is your classic danger sense. "With use of this ability, a clairvoyant may finish the sentences of others, know what someone is about to ask for, and avoid the effects of a surprise attack. At any time, the clairvoyant may make a Presence + Clairvoyance roll and, if successful, can claim to be prepared for anything that the Gamesmaster has just announced. She isn’t surprised, may have a weapon in hand, or tell another character to duck. However, the clairvoyant can only make one action (and warning the other characters counts as an action), and she cannot change an action that has already happened. Note that the clairvoyant only gets a hazy picture of what is to come and the Gamesmaster may veto any action she feels is based on too detailed information." Kinda decent but the ability for a GM to veto it really just reads as classic rules-editing after the designers got annoyed someone ran around being prepared all the time.
And that's it for Clairvoyance. Verdict: Magic Sense, Psychometry and See the Supernatural are the standouts. Everything else is just...alright. Again, these powers are cheap and easy to use...but they kinda suck. And you get them for free if you decide to be an Eldren. It's not exactly worth it.

Spiritualism

Spiritualists/mediums have a direct connection to the spirit world and the aether of ghosts...and also demons. Foul Failures when using Spiritualist abilities result in demonic possession or being ridden by a ghost that will automatically end when the power ends. The best way to avoid this is to do this in groups where you all hold hands because each person in the séance adds +1 Resolve to resist possession.
  • Aura Reading
  • Grace (1) lets you try to dispel the dead, risking your health or adding more black dice to your rolls in the process. Why isn't this called Exorcism? I don't know.
  • Heal (0) lets you...heal. It's kinda fucky, though. See, normal use of Heal just stabilizes a person. To actually heal them, you have to willingly take black dice onto the roll that can be up to your rank in Spiritualism. If the Heal roll succeeds at all, they regain 1 pip per black dice added. Which is...kind of awful actually?
  • Know Historical Events (1) lets you relive stuff from the POV of the dead. This depends on what the GM says you witness.
  • Magic Sense
  • Séance (1) costs 1 Quint pip per ten minutes spent with the ghost in your body.
  • See the Supernatural
Again the standouts are Magic Sense and See the Supernatural. Know Historical Events is decent and I can see some uses for Grace. Both senses just have general versatile use over the other two though.

Goeticism

As previously mentioned, the existence of Goeticism is highly contentious within the church and other major religions. They firmly believe that Goeticism is not a form of Magnetism and magic but a blessing bestowed by the Host of Heavens upon a mortal servant that allows them to wield miracles. Fundamentally Goeticism lets you talk to the angels and archons by putting you in tune with their aetheric frequencies. This tends to manifest around puberty in whoever and this tends to be a Come To Jesus moment where they turn to the church or whatever organized religion they dig.

All Goetic spells are just a flat Presence+Goeticism roll to speak to the angels and beg for help. The major benefit is that Goetic spellcasters aren't limited to one or two spells. The major downside isGM DICKERY.

quote:

As they cannot call on their power that often, goeticists aren't limited to one or two specific abilities, but can make use of any of the abilities listed for goeticism. However, they don’t have access to them all of the time. When the goeticist buys goetic abilities with the Goeticism Talent, she doesn’t get to decide what they are. Instead, the Gamesmaster decides which goetic abilities the adventurer actually has at the start of a session, but doesn’t tell the player what has been chosen.

When the adventurer prays for help, the Gamesmaster checks her list and decides if the prayer is heard (making the goetic ability available). If it is, the player can make a roll to see if it is answered (if the roll is successful). It should also be borne in mind that it’s far more likely that the Ophanim will answer than the Karabim, especially if the adventurer has more than 2 Order Cogs.

When the Gamesmaster chooses to change the listing is up to her; she may pick new goetic abilities each day, or keep the same list for each adventure or session. She may only replenish the list when all the abilities have been used. She could even replace an ability each time it is used. This way the player, as well as the adventurer, must rely on faith, and the stronger her power the more likely the Host will answer her call. Players are allowed to know the details of their potential abilities so they know what might be appropriate to pray for. The Gamesmaster might allow a goeticist to choose one of their powers themselves by spending a Fate Point.
Say what you will about Paranoia but you generally know what your Mutant Power is even if you don't know how strong it is. Goetic powers are just at the permanent mercy of the whims of the GM and, well, they're not any more impressive than Clairvoyance or Spiritualism.

Plus there's the fact that a Goetic spellcaster has to follow the same kind of rules a Cleric theoretically follows (sans "have a holy symbol" with you to cast through). Failure to get a single success when praying to cast a spell (before black dice eat failure or there's a foul failure) results in your prayer being ignored and your faith being shaken. The results of having your faith shaken include (but are not limited to, depending on how the GM feels you need to redeem yourself or comes up with something they want to use):
  • Being unable to use Goetic spells until you confess to a priest and perform acts of penance.
  • Being unable to use Goetic spells until you commit a certain act of atonement such as "building a new church or shrine, giving away all her money to charity, a pilgrimage to a distant place, service in a monastic community, or even self-harm of some kind, such as flagellation or mutilation." The particular focus on using feminine pronouns in this entire section really makes this feel extra weird.
  • An archon appearing and chastising you.
  • 2 black dice to any Resolve rolls when faced with resisting magic and demons until proper genuflection and purification of the self.
Again, at least one of these will apply and if the GM wants to all of them can apply in addition to any other ideas the GM has.

So what Goetic spells are there?
  • Becalm (1) lets you forcibly stop a ruckus by calling down a portent from the heavens or an angel whose presence causes everyone to chill the gently caress out. Those with good souls are awestruck, those with evil souls flee or are struck with terror. If you're neither of those...you just pass out. Everyone who witnesses the portent has to make a Resolve check with a 4 black dice penalty to resist those results and continue fighting. Also the GM is the arbiter of who is good and evil. Lasts for a scene.
  • Blessing (2) is cure disease but you don't know if it worked, you just have to wait to see if they get better sooner than normal. You also run the risk of catching that disease.
  • Exorcism (0) is literally just Grace with the right name.
  • Glimpse
  • Guardian Archon (1) lets you either ask an archon three yes or no questions in a vision (refusal to answer counts as an asked question) or you can just ask for guidance and get a cryptic response.
  • Heal
  • Magic Sense
  • Saints Candour (1) is just magical empathy. "A successful manifestation roll allows the goeticist to gauge the mood, temper and intentions of the observed person. A single insight may be gained with one action."
    "Heavenly host, hear my prayer, grant me a miracle that may help me in this time of need."
    "That dude is pretty angry at you. Looks like he wants to hit you."
    "Archons be praised!"
  • Saints Sight (0) is just a renamed See the Supernatural.
So yeah Goetic spellcasters are completely useless. The only two of those that two anything really different are Becalm and Blessing which hey, actually kinda nice. But of course...you don't know what powers you currently have slotted. And if you fail a roll you have to go whip your own bare rear end with a rosary until the angels are content with your penance. Yes Saints Sight and Magic Sense continue to be helpful...but can be literally whipped out whenever a Spiritualist or Clairvoyant want as opposed to playing Yahweh May I.

This is the first installment of magical categories. I will be taking these group-by-group for easier digestion. They don't get better. Buckle the gently caress up.

NEXT TIME: Empirical Thaumaturgy/Hermetic magic. Hermetic magic is way more offense-oriented and generally useful than Magnetism is. It is also...better but it begins the annoying trend of "you're allowed to do stuff but you're not allowed to do cool stuff".

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

JcDent posted:

It’s vancian but pared back a lot compared to dnd, plus stunts are simpler

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

wiegieman posted:

Going Loud works because Demon is a spy game, and you're doing it the same way a spy does it when he pulls the assault rifles and grenades and body armor out to blast through the cops with handguns.

I think that conceptually it could be made to work in any sort of setting or most games, largely you just need to change what the player sacrifices and how it's fluffed. Maybe you long-term(or even permanently) burn out some points in a stat after the roll, in exchange for doubling it for the roll, or if there's a miscast table, you go: "I'll take +2 WIZARD POINTS in exchange for rolling twice on the WIZARD FUCKUP table or rolling once on the WIZARD FUCKUP X2 table."

It changes it from "you are permanently powerful and permanently at risk of exploding" to "you are permanently as strong as everyone else(or perhaps a bit weaker), but you can elect to take an extra risk or burn a scarce/limited resource in exchange for a big punch now."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

It changes it from "you are permanently powerful and permanently at risk of exploding" to "you are permanently as strong as everyone else(or perhaps a bit weaker), but you can elect to take an extra risk or burn a scarce/limited resource in exchange for a big punch now."

This can be rather neatly generalized to work on mundane actions too: get +2 to your punching strength by rolling for muscle injury!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

wiegieman posted:

The idea of Counterspelling being a lesson at boot camp is both cool and good.

In Dragons of Babel and Iron Dragon's Daughter, everyone with money knows the first thing you do when a wizened old hag screams a prophecy at you is to consult your lawyer. If he doesn't know how to handle being fated to topple your family's grandest tower in the year of waning sunlight, he can refer you to someone who can. Worst case, you can always sue.

Serf
May 5, 2011

JcDent posted:

I guess this should be a reminder to me to finish my F&F of the game because magic is the next section.

But in a nutshell, the game limits magic through giving casters small numbers of spells and giving those spells strict mechanical limits that don't allow them to have an inordinate impact on the narrative. 5th-level spells are powerful, but are almost all combat spells, and you will almost always only get one of them with one casting per rest. The vast majority of spells require a roll, and your castings of higher-level spells are pretty restricted. There's no "I win" spells, and you'll never be as consistent a damage dealer as a martial character. Most all-magic builds are about the gimmick your Path gives you. For instance, the Sorcerer is all about exploding with power after juicing themselves up, so you want to get in close to the fight and push that damage into your enemies. So one potential route there would be to specialize in Destruction magic (damage spells that cause you harm in the process) and picking up the Destroyer Master Path, which gives you even more self-explody power that you can form into beams.

But for instance the top-level Destruction spell is Disintegrate, which deals 6 damage to the caster in exchange for making a Will attack against a target's Agility. If you succeed, they take 9d6 damage and are killed instantly if that attack incapacitates them (when damage equals total health). That's pretty strong, sure. But let's say you're fighting a Master-level enemy like the typical Dragon. They have 160 Health, an Agility of 13, and Spell Defense, which causes spells attacking them to deal half damage, and attackers take 1 bane to spell attacks. Attacking Agility is way better than attacking Defense (dragons have 23 Defense), but that attack roll is gonna have 1 bane to it. So if you pump your Will up as much as you can, you might have like a +5 to the roll, but that bane is -1d6. That can be mitigated by using your Sorcerer talent to take on strain and give yourself a boon, but that puts you at risk of exploding (not all bad if you're in close with the dragon). So your damage is gonna top out at 27 (half because of the Spell Defense trait), but that's super rare. Using Spell Recovery from the Magician you could potentially use Disintegrate 3 times in a day, but the self-damage will quickly outpace the healing and even then you're not going to take down the dragon by yourself.

By comparison, in one Master-level playtest I ran, the fighter character was doing between 5d6 and 8d6 damage per swing, and the technomancer summoned an Iron Man suit that let them swing twice per round for 2d6+1. Both of those would not be halved by the dragon's Spell Defense, and have a lot more mileage than a level 5 spell.

Of course this Magician/Sorcerer/Destroyer isn't going to be totally useless in a dragon fight either. They have other spells, and even though Spell Defense will halve their damage, they can still contribute meaningfully. The game rewards specialization with more powerful spells, but diversifying a bit can also give you more options when fighting badass enemies like a dragon. Lots of enemies have Spell Defense, so straight-up damage isn't going to work, and the bane to spell attack rolls can really dampen casters' effectiveness.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010
Among the infinite levels of the Abyss is one composed entirely of

The Deck of Encounters Set One Part 68: The Deck of Sphinxes, Tag Sales, and Tanar’ri

383: Choices

The PCs are strolling through the forest and run into a criosphinx. It demands that they pay 100 gp per person as a toll, OR correctly answer a riddle! Or all die. It makes it very clear that it would prefer the gold over the other options, and will even take other forms of payment. However, it will reluctantly let them challenge the riddle if they insist.

The riddle is: “I am the power of life, the source of all emotion, and yet I sit trapped in a cage of white. What am I?” They have three minutes to answer. Not that hard, even though the sphinx refuses to repeat it or give hints. It will look very disappointed if they answer “a heart,” but let them go on.

I like the how the sphinx clearly doesn’t like the riddle game, but keeps it up out of… a sense of obligation? A fundamental racial imperative? Keep.

P.S. The sphinx isn’t listed as having any treasure. I like to think that’s because it's never actually successfully exacted a toll before.

384: Estate Sale

At the “modestly palatial” home of an adventurer who died recently, there’s an, uh, estate sale going on. There are even signs around town advertising it. Lots of adventurer-types there: only about a fourth of the folks there ”look like they work at a job for a living.” There are magical items on auction, proceeds going to charity. The DM is told pretty much to decide what’s on sale and what it goes for, but the prices should be very high since it’s magic items with no danger involved.

Although silly, this fits with a certain type of campaign world. My only qualm is that the DM would have to do prep work, or just improv a lot of things very quickly. It’s screaming out for some random tables about what strange things are on offer and what weird personalities are attending. Still, keep. Can always send it back if the DM's not up to the task when it's drawn.

385: The Hunter

“There’s a molydeus on the Prime Material Plane that is here chasing a renegade tanar’ri.” Straight and to the point. Not trying to hide its nature or purpose, it contacts the PCs, interrogates them, accuses them of withholding info, tries to polymorph one into a sheep to demonstrate its power, and finally attacks them all “to prevent its target from knowing of the hunter’s existence on the Prime Material Plane.”

What? ...Look, I know it’s Chaotic Evil, but I’m checking the Monstrous Manual and these things have “high to exceptional” intelligence. Is this one just insane, or what? Did it get fed false information? Have the PCs had contact with demons before that would make this insane suspicion justified?

Something like this could be cool as part of some ongoing plotline stemming from the PCs dealing with demons. As a random encounter, it’s just... random. And to top it off, as written, there’s no room for PC negotiation or cleverness. Pass.

386: Covenants

Deep in a dungeon, the PCs run into a balor in search of followers on the Material Plane. It’s ready to bargain - it’ll do them each a great service (“up to the power level of a full wish spell") in exchange for worship and future sacrifices. It warns them that “no” is not an option (indeed, it’ll even use suggestion to push reticent members), and that it’s going to be really cheesed if it has to drag itself back to the Prime to punish anyone who doesn’t hold up their end of the deal.

Definitely intriguing - this might produce some fun plot threads. Keep.

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 4, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

It turned them green.
No, it turned them red. Getting off the demon juice turned them green.

Prism posted:

Not a roc, but I should have linked it when baby owlbears came up. They just got mentioned again so dammit I'm counting it.

Those are some adorable owletcubs.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Less so in something like Dominions, where sure, a mage might gently caress up and blow his own brains out or die from fatigue or something, but you've probably fielded somewhere between 20 and 200 mages if it's a serious battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

JackMann posted:

I saved up my Cheese Dudes cereal box tops and turned them in for a mention on System Mastery! They plugged my blog!

Speaking of, I've added a new post, this time on Cargo Cult game design.

These are really good.