Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Someone with access to the Goodle Drive folder: Is the entire catalog neatly named and numbered? I'm not at all mad about what's going on but I was motivated to organize the episodes I already have and download the rest of what's available. Unfortunately the file naming is terribly inconsistent so this quickly became a tedious project. So tedious that that's why I might become a patron for a month to get the catalog.

Yes. It's AD in order, then main episodes in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

enigmahfc posted:

I've listen to the podcast since episode 70 or so, so I know for a fact these guys are monsters and assholes, which is why I signed up for the Patreon because that sort of behavior is needed now then ever.

yea if you're not backing this podcast because it's a small group of monster men yelling at movies I don't know what's the deal.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

That was a classy response.

BlameSpacePod posted:

My plan B is to get a horse

YOU'RE GONNA GET THE CHAIR, ERIC MOVIE

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Someone with access to the Goodle Drive folder: Is the entire catalog neatly named and numbered? I'm not at all mad about what's going on but I was motivated to organize the episodes I already have and download the rest of what's available. Unfortunately the file naming is terribly inconsistent so this quickly became a tedious project. So tedious that that's why I might become a patron for a month to get the catalog.

My method with the old archive was to save the MP3 as the episode number. Then tell MP3Tag to format the track number as the episode number while leaving the title untouched. Then just renamed to %artist% - %track% - %title%. It honestly takes more time to read that than to do it.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Iron Crowned posted:

You made a very excellent post about estimated costs, but I wanted to add that there's equipment costs and hosting costs on top of all that.

Equipment can be viewed as a one time cost, but there's periodical wear and tear, requiring updates and repair/replacement costs. For a podcast to sound as good as WHM, it needs 4+ track recording, mixing, decent microphones, and headphones. None of that is cheap and when I was looking into podcasting, I estimated about $800 for a decent enough setup (because I can't stand podcasts with lovely recording quality and bad levels).

When a microphone goes bad or headphones are broken, that's at least $50-$100 right there depending on the quality. A mixing board or 4 track recorder is going to keep going up from there.

Thanks! Yea I had no idea what those items may cost and so I chose to mention them without including them in the estimate. Appreciate your added info!

Also thanks to Eric for the details. It's crazy how often a polished final product can make us forget that nothing is as straightforward as it appears. We all have plenty of nuisance tasks at our own jobs akin to manual url updating, that slowly hamper progress and lead to projects being overdue or over budget or understaffed.

And on a completely different topic, Boss Baby may be the first episode which had me wholly confused with regards to the movie's plot. And in no way was that due to the gang's discussion, each segment made "sense" on its own, but I'd have no chance of recapping the narrative because whaaaaat was that script? Foodfight was more coherent, good god.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kalensc posted:

Thanks! Yea I had no idea what those items may cost and so I chose to mention them without including them in the estimate. Appreciate your added info!

Also thanks to Eric for the details. It's crazy how often a polished final product can make us forget that nothing is as straightforward as it appears. We all have plenty of nuisance tasks at our own jobs akin to manual url updating, that slowly hamper progress and lead to projects being overdue or over budget or understaffed.

And on a completely different topic, Boss Baby may be the first episode which had me wholly confused with regards to the movie's plot. And in no way was that due to the gang's discussion, each segment made "sense" on its own, but I'd have no chance of recapping the narrative because whaaaaat was that script? Foodfight was more coherent, good god.

So cookies are not for closer?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

So cookies are not for closer?

Yew got that right, Boss Baby! :haw:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yew got that right, Boss Baby! :haw:

I think you mean boss eraserhead baby

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My method with the old archive was to save the MP3 as the episode number. Then tell MP3Tag to format the track number as the episode number while leaving the title untouched. Then just renamed to %artist% - %track% - %title%. It honestly takes more time to read that than to do it.

I get that correctly naming MP3s isn't a big deal, especially if you had a plan as you saved them. I'm convincing myself that it's not even worth that little effort when a month at $5 will get me consistent file names, support the podcast, and with ads removed I'll never have to hear them shill for DraftKings ever again.

I recently noticed that several of Gallagher's old specials are available on Amazon Prime. I thought it would be interesting to watch a bit and ruminate over how they've aged and how that format of comedy has evolved but drat, they are bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Plus at least 2 or 3 of them have day jobs where it's possible to constantly talk about smoking weed under their real names in a popular podcast soooooo they might not be the highest-paying jobs out there. I mean even in places where weed is legal/medical you still have to tiptoe around the fact that you smoke if you work in like 99% of the ground-floor jobs.

That sort of varies from industry to industry, and I know Chris Cabin at least is in journalism, which largely doesn't give a poo poo what you ingest as long as you turn good stories in on time.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Dissapointed they are not gonna do The Snowman and The Book Of Henry, but Eric is finally gonna be vindicated now when they are doing the Bye Bye Man and I am ok with that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Apes-Ma posted:

Dissapointed they are not gonna do The Snowman and The Book Of Henry
Wait why not? Those are both loving prime candidates for this podcast :negative:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I would really, really love to hear their take on the book of henry.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Typical Eric, obfuscating the real issues behind mumbo-jumbo nobody cares about. I want the truth: Where are my new BIOOS episodes?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
They better use the spooky theme for the byebye man episode otherwise what the gently caress are we even doing here?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Byebye Man is so good because it's a movie OBSESSED with 'monster rules' but it has rules that explicitly can't work because the entire point is if just one person in the byebye man cycle just decides to fuckin die rather than spread him the monster instantly loses.

Also he's obsessed with trains.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

FF8 as worst of the year seems crazy to me.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Really pumped about the Texas Tease.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CountFosco posted:

I would really, really love to hear their take on the book of henry.

From what I've read, it's actually not a bad film, it's just incredibly misguided in its presentation and tone.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
My only criticism of the show is that the opening theme is much louder than the rest of the episode.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

precision posted:

From what I've read, it's actually not a bad film, it's just incredibly misguided in its presentation and tone.

I saw the Book of Henry in the theater, and it's actually quite watchable. The story is bizarre, but what really makes it an incredible watch is the disconnect between how the movie seems to want us to view the titular Henry (child genius/living saint) and how almost any audience is likely to view Henry (the worst, most insufferable person to ever walk the earth). He is unspeakable awful, and everyone he meets acts like they've encountered Christ Himself. He is Poochie on steroids.

In the end the movie has something pretty interesting to say, I'm just not sure how intentional it was.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 4, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BlameSpacePod posted:

Thanks for listening,
Eric

P.S. I wish we could do the Nexus weekly, which is a goal if this Patreon thing goes well...
My plan B is to get a horse, live in the mountains, and don't bother anybody.

Don't worry Eric, if I ever win the lottery I promise I will pay you to be my personal boy toy and you'll be set for life.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you made one of the Patreon levels your proposed Lifetime Movie spin-off WHM podcast, Once in a Lifetime, I would be on that poo poo like Eric Roberts on an easy paycheck. I've been on a binge that's spanned about thirty years of the dang things and there's so much raw ore to smelt that you'd never run out of material.

I mean,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKvKkxnALFE

like,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljTXN2RLGY

it's just,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujHDeAgWdhY

an embarrassment of riches

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 4, 2018

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I know Eric Roberts' filmography is old news and that I'm taking the year listed way out of context but holy poo poo, it's the first week of January and he has 30 projects listed under 2018.

I wonder if he even has a house or lives solely in set trailers.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RobotDogPolice posted:

My only criticism of the show is that the opening theme is much louder than the rest of the episode.

I talked to Andrew about this at a live show, it's intended to pump you up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vakal posted:

Don't worry Eric, if I ever win the lottery I promise I will pay you to be my personal boy toy and you'll be set for life.

I said it once before and I'll say it again. I'll fund Casablanca 2: Two Fat Spies if I ever win the lottery.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Detective No. 27 posted:

I said it once before and I'll say it again. I'll fund Casablanca 2: Two Fat Spies if I ever win the lottery.

I will also vow this

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

What about Cum Heist? Is that script never going to get made?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

In case you're a first time listener here's a spoiler for y'all:

bad != bad

this applies to everything on the internet.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Triple Triad was great though

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Just watched Boss Baby. I thought the memory wipe was oddly creepy and unintentionally funny. A screenwriter wrote a scene where a 7 year old boy is being offered the chance to erase any memories of his brother by a baby in a hazmat suit. That's a lot for a kid to deal with!

Boss Baby's memories were erased when he chose to become family, did he technically die?

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 5, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

No, that basically sounds right. It's between FF8 and It Comes at Night for my worst theatrical release of the year.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

RobotDogPolice posted:

Same!

MisterBibs posted:

I talked to Andrew about this at a live show, it's intended to make you scramble to turn your car speakers down before your eardrums explode.

FTFY

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Book of Henry saved The Circle from being remembered as the worst movie of the year (but I think The Circle is actually worse)

Fate of the Furious is pretty bad though

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, that basically sounds right. It's between FF8 and It Comes at Night for my worst theatrical release of the year.
I don't think you saw enough movies in theaters last year.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

F8's main issue was it being so forgettable, especially compared to prior ones. Other than most of Statham and/or Rock's scenes, nothing interesting really happened. Diesel's turn was a dumb idea and was played out exactly as expected of such an idea.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
All the Fast/Furious movies are poo poo. It's the worst franchise.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't think you saw enough movies in theaters last year.

Nah, just most of what I saw was actually pretty good. :shrug: FF8 isn't like Manos-tier bad but it was a boring slog to watch, which is a loving sin for the series it inhabits. It Comes At Night was a collection of good performances in a well-shot movie that made nearly no goddamn sense to me whatsoever until I spent days reading crit of it to try and piece together what the gently caress I had paid $10 to see.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tCImIPCYNQ

can't wait for the rock/statham movie

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

With Eric's post I legitimately don't understand what podcast networks actually do. It sounds like they don't handle live shows or hosting. Do they automate ad buys for the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

duz posted:

F8's main issue was it being so forgettable, especially compared to prior ones. Other than most of Statham and/or Rock's scenes, nothing interesting really happened. Diesel's turn was a dumb idea and was played out exactly as expected of such an idea.

That was my thought. I’m be glad to hear them do any Vin Diesel movie, but I was expecting the mummy.