Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
One of the characters in The Boondock Saints is a Priest with Tourette’s Syndrome, and I think that’s about as good a summation as I can give about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched it because at least 5 or so people I met my freshman year of college said it was one of the best movies ever made, and it’s since been a guidepost to who to distrust.

This, but with Fight Club.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It tries to have its cake and eat it too in terms of the Tarantino influence. Like, in a Tarantino movie a guy shows up to kill someone with his badass uzi with the huge silencer....and unceremoniously gets killed because he had to take a poo poo. In a Tarantino movie the slick hitmen quip back and forth and they're really clever and then one of them accidentally blows a dude's head off and they're both completely grossed out by it. Tarantino subverts expectations in those scenarios, so much so that a new Tarantino paradigm began where new clichés were created due to all the imitators.

Boondock Saints has the badass hitman falling through the ceiling and bumbling through the whole thing...but all their bullets seem to find their mark and they kill their target fairly easily. Then all of the real goofy poo poo is cordoned off over here with this idiot character, so as not to taint the pure badass exuding from Reedus and Flannery at all times.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Boondock Saints is what you would get if you tried to adapt a Jagerbomb to film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know how much of a problem that is in Rodriguez's movies in general; of those I've seen, it's only really been a problem with Machete Kills. I didn't think there was too much winking in, say, Desperado or Rodriguez's half of From Dusk Til Dawn.

He was a lot younger back then.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Oh god the king of overused awful slow-mo is The Boondock Saints. Every action scene is the exact same and it get extremely tedious towards the end, to the point where I cheered when they just shot a guy regularly. God what an awful movie.
Boondock saints plays out like a parodical sketch about 90s action films. It's a pity it's so poo poo, because the two leads have good chemistry and deserve a better film. I mean, Defoe is great, but he's fuckin' Defoe, he's always great.

quote:

Streets of Fire, if you’re good with a lighter-toned movie about rock music. Great Willem Dafoe performance, and Rick Moranis, Diane Lane, and Lee Ving are fun.

Get the gently caress in. Streets of Fire is loving great.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Boondock Saints is a matryoshka doll of “the real lovely part”s, it’s easily in the top 5 worst movies I’ve ever seen. The only good things about it were a paycheck for Willem Dafoe, and Overnight, the documentary about making it (although I have no idea how it’s aged with what we know about Harvey Weinstein).

He already did with Equilibrium, which is just as “cool” and just as stupid. while actually having some style to its action scenes and being massively entertaining. I loving love Equilibrium.

We already knew that Weinstein was a loving crazy person, absolutely willing to strong arm people to get ahead in the business (if you've ever been told about how historically innaccurate Saving Private Ryan is, that's a Weinstein started story)

Equilibrium is fantastic. It's the sketches of a kid bored in English class while studying 'Faranheit 451' turned into a movie.

Also, whoever here recommended the Villainess, I'm not sure how I feel about the movie. It's technically extremely ambitious, but it's not got quite enough money and/or talent to pull off its ideas, so even in the opening tracking shot, henchmen in the background just sort of disappear, and the gunshots always feel slightly out of sync with the reaction.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love Streets of Fire too, between batshit Willem Dafoe, sidekick Rick Moranis, gorgeous Diane Lane, the sledgehammer fight, the doo-wop group led by Ellstin Limehouse, the weird '50s-by-way-of-the-'80s aesthetic, and especially those two incredible, epic Jim Steinman songs bookending the movie. The hero reminds me of Captain Mal from Firefly, but just in how he looks -- not charming or roguish at all.

That and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension might be my two favorite movies that not enough people have seen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I love Streets of Fire too, between batshit Willem Dafoe, sidekick Rick Moranis, gorgeous Diane Lane, the sledgehammer fight, the doo-wop group led by Ellstin Limehouse, the weird '50s-by-way-of-the-'80s aesthetic, and especially those two incredible, epic Jim Steinman songs bookending the movie. The hero reminds me of Captain Mal from Firefly, but just in how he looks -- not charming or roguish at all.

That and The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension might be my two favorite movies that not enough people have seen.

They're both movies that, in other universes/timelines, were massive hits and started trends. As it is, nothing really imitated them so they just stand as these odd, unique films that have bits and pieces of other stuff, but largely defy categorisation.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Another fun, quirky, weird action movie that falls into the post-apocalyptic genre discussed earlier is Six String Samurai, which came out in the late '90s. Nobody ever talks about it or makes references to it, but I swear it's real. I used to even own a tie-in comic book with cover art by the infamous Rob Liefeld.

If you haven't seen it, it's about a bespectacled, taciturn nomad named Buddy (meant to be Buddy Holly) who is traveling through the desert wastelands to the kingdom "Lost Vegas," where the King recently died. He runs afoul of all kinds of creeps and weirdos including a family of cannibals and a Soviet surf-rock band (the Red Elvises, who did the soundtrack and are an amazing live band I've seen twice), and eventually has to face off in a guitar duel against Death himself (who looks an awful lot like Slash).

Unfortunately, the movie has the most annoying kid actor ever, who mostly just shrieks and screams. I think the kid brings the whole movie down, and it might have a better reputation as a cult film if not for him.

Holy poo poo, I was looking for the trailer, but it looks like the whole movie is on Youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPP00uNkNI

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I always get Buckaroo Banzai and Six String Samurai confused.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Albert Pyun directed a movie called Vicious Lips that when you read the synopsis and watch the first ten minutes or so of it seems like it's going to be the raddest movie ever made and then........nothing happens for the rest of the movie. :(

Speaking of which, it's nowhere near good enough to be mentioned with the other good stuff people are talking about here like Six String Samurai or Streets of Fire but I'd strongly recommend giving Pyun's post apocalyptic glam punk noir musical Radioactive Dreams a look. Starring Michael Dudikoff. The plot's basically a Fallout 2 game where you rolled main characters with below average intelligence and maximum luck. Who the gently caress am I kidding this movie rules all of you should seek it out and watch it ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLbNd2dk6VY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVKK7lv8kzM

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 3, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Another fun, quirky, weird action movie that falls into the post-apocalyptic genre discussed earlier is Six String Samurai, which came out in the late '90s. Nobody ever talks about it or makes references to it, but I swear it's real. I used to even own a tie-in comic book with cover art by the infamous Rob Liefeld.

If you haven't seen it, it's about a bespectacled, taciturn nomad named Buddy (meant to be Buddy Holly) who is traveling through the desert wastelands to the kingdom "Lost Vegas," where the King recently died. He runs afoul of all kinds of creeps and weirdos including a family of cannibals and a Soviet surf-rock band (the Red Elvises, who did the soundtrack and are an amazing live band I've seen twice), and eventually has to face off in a guitar duel against Death himself (who looks an awful lot like Slash).

Unfortunately, the movie has the most annoying kid actor ever, who mostly just shrieks and screams. I think the kid brings the whole movie down, and it might have a better reputation as a cult film if not for him.

Holy poo poo, I was looking for the trailer, but it looks like the whole movie is on Youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPP00uNkNI

It doesn't really have an ending, which is probably why it has acquired an even smaller cult audience than the others mentioned. It was supposed to be a trilogy, but it leaves us with an incomplete film.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah Six String Samurai got a big boost from AintItCool news hyping the hell out of it at the time, but it really isn't very good. It has a rockin' soundtrack and a cool premise (old 50s rock fights 80s metal in a post-apocalyptic desert to crown the new King Of Vegas) but does nothing with it.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Wandle Cax posted:

Watch Blood Father if you haven't seen it

I'll say that plus Get the Gringo and the remake of Edge Of Darkness makes for a pretty good latter-day Mel trilogy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Mel a producer or anything on Blood Father? I'm just wondering how much he benefits if I spend money to rent it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I love how both Gringo and Blood Father become stock films after Gibson cleans up and puts on a suit. By love I mean loathe. It's like he's going "This is gonna be grimy as poo poo" and then goes "Nah just kidding. Thanks for watching a Mel Gibson film".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 was extremely entertaining. Surprisingly, Vaughn is perfectly cast. It's easy to forget how big he is.

Seriously.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

brocked posted:

I'll say that plus Get the Gringo and the remake of Edge Of Darkness makes for a pretty good latter-day Mel trilogy

Speaking of Mel Gibson and the action movie thread, I'm sure everyone here has seen Apocalypto but oh my goodness that movie is completely totally 100% awesome and everyone in this thread should see it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Mel Gibson and the action movie thread, I'm sure everyone here has seen Apocalypto but oh my goodness that movie is completely totally 100% awesome and everyone in this thread should see it.

It is pretty fantastic but I've always wondered what deep passion Mel has for vivid violence. I don't mind it to a degree because it doesn't sanitize things and its very visceral but it seems almost obsessive the way it's always prevalent in his movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gatts posted:

It is pretty fantastic but I've always wondered what deep passion Mel has for vivid violence. I don't mind it to a degree because it doesn't sanitize things and its very visceral but it seems almost obsessive the way it's always prevalent in his movies.

On the Braveheart commentary he admits to cutting a frame or two at impact out to make the hits seem harder and jerkier. I don't think he believes in sanitizing violence.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The most telling thing in the Braveheart making of stuff is the arrowhead spikes on his bracer. An ahistorical fabrication he said he needed to have on the character because he needed to know that he could quickly stab someone's face at any time. He just loves the concept of graphic violence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm really hesitant to criticize a director for graphic violence, but I will say that the scene in Hacksaw Ridge where the dude uses a torso as a shield was one of the more unnecessary scenes of violence I can think of just because of how much the tone of it clashes with everything else around it. It's a scene that would've been right at home in that Rambo remake that Stallone did, which is really the kind of movie Gibson should make if that's his thing.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 4, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

No I think that's totally fair. In Apocalypto and Braveheart it doesn't feel out of place at all. Hacksaw Ridge goes from very brutal but grounded to parody of 80s action stuff and back and it's weird.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gatts posted:

He's catholic. Every saint, along with the son of god, is depicted more often in their death than anything else. And remember that the majority of those deaths are super loving gory.

Echoing that Hacksaw Ridges battle scenes were weird in an interesting way, making no attempt at historical or tactical realism, and instead being an impressionistic mixture of images. It sort of works. Pity about the rest of the movie.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 4, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

He's catholic. Every saint, along with the son of god, is depicted more often in their death than anything else. And remember that the majority of those deaths are super loving gory.

I always tell my folks if churches would bring back the ultra heavy metal iconography and non-stop orgies I'd be back in a heartbeat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never felt entirely comfortable describing war movies or historical movies as action films, even if they have action in them. Maybe that's a strange hang-up of mine. I don't tend to mind most representations of violence in movies but when it's movies that are ostensibly based on real events that happened to real people, it's a bit uncomfortable to me.

I've also never been a big Braveheart fan because I think Babe deserved the Oscars it won that year. :v:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I feel the same way, action films celebrate and glorify violence for the entertainment of the audience. Applying that same genre descriptor to something like Saving Private Ryan’s Omaha Beach scene weirds me out. Now something ahistorical and cartoony as Where Eagles Dare, I have no problem calling that an action movie, but a film based on real events where people actually died can’t really glorify that death for me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anyone ever see The Devil's Brigade? For a movie about a team of losers and misfits who become deadly killers, it's loving silly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I feel the same way, action films celebrate and glorify violence for the entertainment of the audience. Applying that same genre descriptor to something like Saving Private Ryan’s Omaha Beach scene weirds me out. Now something ahistorical and cartoony as Where Eagles Dare, I have no problem calling that an action movie, but a film based on real events where people actually died can’t really glorify that death for me.

It's always an interesting conversation(it comes up in the horror thread too), at what point does violence, if you're portraying real life events, cross the line into exploitation and become distasteful?

Like, for instance, the murder scenes in Zodiac. Fincher filmed them with complete accuracy in mind, almost obsessively so, and he would tell you that he did that in order to respect the horrific nature of the crimes and to make sure he was presenting only the facts of what happened and nothing more. And I tend to agree with that philosophy, but what about the portion of the audience that watches something like that more for titillation? People that have a morbid fascination with these topics and, for lack of a better word, "get off" on feeling like they're watching the murders exactly how they went down in real life. Should someone like Fincher consider those people when he makes a film about a real crime? I don't think so but it's a pretty complicated issue.

I think Spielberg would say the same thing about Omaha Beach, that he felt the need to show it in all it's horrific glory, because to do otherwise would be to disrespect the gravity of what actually happened. But of course inevitably you have people going "holy poo poo dude, how crazy was it that that one guy was walking around with his own severed arm!!!", but I'm not sure you can worry about that when you're a filmmaker.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I really think you should try to be respectful in whatever way you see fit, because you can never make something that 100% of people will understand. No matter how unnerving a war movie, someone will always enjoy the violent aspects of it. Some part of the population will always misinterpret films, no matter how obvious you make your point (see also: people complaining Starship Troopers promotes fascism)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been a remake of Where Eagles Dare yet. (Although it'd annoy me if they did, because it's one of my favourite movies and I have no doubts they'd screw it up.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Payndz posted:

I'm honestly surprised that there hasn't been a remake of Where Eagles Dare yet. (Although it'd annoy me if they did, because it's one of my favourite movies and I have no doubts they'd screw it up.)

I need to rewatch it, but it feels like the era we’re in couldn’t support a film like Where Eagles Dare; epic in scope and completely earnest, while making basically a cartoonish parody of war movies that doesn’t realize how ludicrous it is. Clint Eastwood would be played by Christ Pratt and he’d mug to the camera after an explosion, and someone would quip about how they never run out of bullets, and all the ridiculous joy of the original would be sapped out.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Who invented the movie quip? They are worse than Hitler.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Maybe John Wayne? Dunno, probably someone was doing it before he was.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sean10mm posted:

I think all you could do is chart the evolution of different styles rather than try to pinpoint the origin of bravado, trash-talking, comic relief, etc. Like you have certain seminal moments or influential characters like James Bond's cold-blooded puns and John McClane's sardonic complaining.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I suppose the earliest would have to be Groucho Marx.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
"the secret woid was 'Please don't kill me!' Here's your hundred dollars"
*Throws money on charred corpse as duck puppet ascends to the sky

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question: is Top Gun an action movie? A while ago I watched a WatchMojo list video ranking the 10 greatest action directors (James Cameron was number one) and Tony Scott was on it, with both Top Gun and True Romance cited (but as far as I can recall, not The Last Boy Scout); I like the latter but it's not an action movie, while I don't think I've ever seen the former the whole way through.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd list it as more romance. HA HAW!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes, Top Gun is a martial arts movie. It takes place in a tournament (who willl be Top Gun?), after an accident caused by his own hubris the protagonist doubts his ability to fight (fly) again, etc.

Just replace "flying jets" with "martial arts" and it's absolutely 100% a martial arts action film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question: is Top Gun an action movie? A while ago I watched a WatchMojo list video ranking the 10 greatest action directors (James Cameron was number one) and Tony Scott was on it, with both Top Gun and True Romance cited (but as far as I can recall, not The Last Boy Scout); I like the latter but it's not an action movie, while I don't think I've ever seen the former the whole way through.

The Last Boy Scout and True Romance are my favorite Tony Scott movies, although they have more to do with Shane Black, Tarantino, and the excellent casts in both.

I've still never seen Top Gun. No interest in it whatsoever.