Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Dravs posted:

Edit: Also this only seems to be affecting CPU architectures in between Sandy Bridge and Coffee Lake (so like the 3000 series to the 7000 series?), so if you are still running a 2550k on your home PC like I am then you shouldn't see any problems.

Really? The things I've read indicate that everything past the original Pentium suffers from this flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Jaded Burnout posted:

This one's mine according to Intel.

Edit: I'm not pretending to be an expert here, I've never followed the dumb codenames closely.

Yeah, this is because you have Sandy Bridge-E and the HEDT/server socket chips are out of step with the regular desktop and laptop chips by 1 generation. Sandy Bridge Socket 1155 is 2000-series, but Socket 2011 is 3000-series along with Ivy Bridge Socket 1155. Ivy Bridge Socket 2011 is 4000-series along with Haswell Socket 1150, and then Haswell socket 2011-3 is 5000-series like Broadwell which didn't even have a full desktop release...

It's a mess. Thanks, Intel!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, this is because you have Sandy Bridge-E and the HEDT/server socket chips are out of step with the regular desktop and laptop chips by 1 generation. Sandy Bridge Socket 1155 is 2000-series, but Socket 2011 is 3000-series along with Ivy Bridge Socket 1155. Ivy Bridge Socket 2011 is 4000-series along with Haswell Socket 1150, and then Haswell socket 2011-3 is 5000-series like Broadwell which didn't even have a full desktop release...

It's a mess. Thanks, Intel!

I stopped understanding all this business with the death of the Athlon XP.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

stevewm posted:

What alternate universe do you live in where printers never jam? And how do I get there?

What are you talking about? That's how printers have always been. By the way, anyone hear about the big AMD bug? Thank God President Castro is at the helm of the US economy or I'd be worried.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

The last processor names I understood was when they were named after the clock speed.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
A ticket came in requesting alternative QLogic Card Specs.

No problem pull up the website for our major networking communications provider and ... QLogic's site is down due to a mis-configured firewall. :suicide:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thanks Ants posted:

The last processor names I understood was when they were named after the clock speed.

Yeah, I don't get these Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge ones specifically. They don't go together. I've never heard of a Sandy League or and Ivy Butthole.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

They've always had codenames like that, but after a while they started leaking to the public and marketing got ahold of it and made it lovely and annoying like marketing aways does.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED OF THE CHANGE OF LOCATION FOR THE "a TICKET CAME IN" THREAD?!?!?!

I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO PROPERLY AVOID MY DAY TO DAY WORK FOR TWO DAYS BECAUSE I WAS NOT NOTIFIED OF THIS. AND BEFORE YOU SAY I SHOULD HAVE BEEN READING MY THREADS, IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO PAY ATTENTION TO ANY OF THE 6 PAGES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN MADE REGARDING THIS.

i'M cc'ING MY MANAGER AND YOUR MANAGER AND THE ceo JUST TO BE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

CaptainGimpy posted:

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED OF THE CHANGE OF LOCATION FOR THE "a TICKET CAME IN" THREAD?!?!?!

I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO PROPERLY AVOID MY DAY TO DAY WORK FOR TWO DAYS BECAUSE I WAS NOT NOTIFIED OF THIS. AND BEFORE YOU SAY I SHOULD HAVE BEEN READING MY THREADS, IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO PAY ATTENTION TO ANY OF THE 6 PAGES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN MADE REGARDING THIS.

i'M cc'ING MY MANAGER AND YOUR MANAGER AND THE ceo JUST TO BE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN.

Urgency: affecting nonproduction!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CaptainGimpy posted:

Ticket closed, user did not read the notice.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Jaded Burnout posted:

When you say "in between" do you mean inclusive? As 3000 series are Sandy Bridge.

Also what's your source on this? I can't find any detail.

There was a tool that someone wrote to find out what is affected. I will try to find it again and edit this post with it.

Edit: Bear in mind that nothing is gospel at the moment, there is so much speculation and chaos we might as well be running around in Hyboria being chased by giant dick eating lizards.

Edit: Oh God, the exploits are starting to appear, AMD and Arm are also affected it seems?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/04/intel_amd_arm_cpu_vulnerability/

Also, it looks like the CEO of Intel dumped as much of his stock as possible just before Christmas.

There is still an embargo on the actual information, but now I have seen some sources that all chips from the Pentium Pro onwards are affected, Jesus.

:tif:

From that article:

quote:

Finally, if you are of the opinion that us media types are being hysterical about this design blunder, check this out: CERT recommends throwing away your CPU and buying an non-vulnerable one to truly fix the issue.

lmao :tif:

:tif: :tif: :tif: :tif: :tif: :tif:

Pretty good article here if anyone wants to nerd out about it:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/whats-behind-the-intel-design-flaw-forcing-numerous-patches/

Update: Just got some info from a security tech at one of our vendors. Some choice quotes:

quote:

Summary
Meltdown and Spectre exploit critical vulnerabilities in modern processors. These hardware bugs allow programs to steal data which is currently processed on the computer. While programs are typically not permitted to read data from other programs, a malicious program can exploit Meltdown and Spectre to get hold of secrets stored in the memory of other running programs. This might include your passwords stored in a password manager or browser, your personal photos, emails, instant messages and even business-critical documents.

quote:

Scope
Desktop, Laptop, and Cloud computers may be affected by Meltdown. More technically, every Intel processor which implements out-of-order execution is potentially affected, which is effectively every processor since 1995 (except Intel Itanium and Intel Atom before 2013). Currently only validated on Intel based processors.

Cloud providers which use Intel CPUs and Xen PV as virtualization without having patches applied. Furthermore, cloud providers without real hardware virtualization, relying on containers that share one kernel, such as Docker, LXC, or OpenVZ are affected. This is basically all the providers Azure, AWS, Google Cloud.

:tif:

Dravs fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 4, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

kensei posted:

Ticket closed, user did not read the notice.

UPON FURTHER TESTING IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED THE EVENT HAS CLEARED AND A DISPATCH IS NO LONGER NEEDED. PLEASE VERIFY YOUR POWER. IF AFTER VERIFICATION YOU FEEL THERE IS STILL AN ISSUE, PLEASE CONTACT H O T S TO FURTHER TROUBLESHOOT

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jesus Christ

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
my day so far has been made of :tif: and saying "gently caress! gently caress! gently caress!" very loudly in the office

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jaded Burnout posted:

It’s all about the Pentiums, baby.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Ever since this new thread project went live my computer has been running at like 70% speed. Please advise and fix.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I hate Focused Inbox and so does my entire company.

That is all.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

That is all.

Disable Focused Inbox for the whole tenant
code:
Set-OrganizationConfig -FocusedInBoxOn $false
Disable it for a single mailbox
code:
Set-FocusedInbox bleh\@example.com -FocusedInboxOn $false

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Crowley posted:

Disable Focused Inbox for the whole tenant
code:
Set-OrganizationConfig -FocusedInBoxOn $false
Disable it for a single mailbox
code:
Set-FocusedInbox bleh\@example.com -FocusedInboxOn $false

Ty! Our solution thus far has been to send out instructions for disabling it in Office 365's settings. I'd disable it for the whole tenant if I had things my way but like three people in management LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the feature so it stays.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

my cat is norris posted:

Ty! Our solution thus far has been to send out instructions for disabling it in Office 365's settings. I'd disable it for the whole tenant if I had things my way but like three people in management LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the feature so it stays.

Disable it for everyone and then enable it for those three guys?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ConfusedUs posted:

Disable it for everyone and then enable it for those three guys?

It's already been vetoed. "What if other people learn to love it? :downs:"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Fire those people. :hai:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

my cat is norris posted:

That is all.

I’d like to know why anyone thought “Clutter” was a good idea.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

my cat is norris posted:

It's already been vetoed. "What if other people learn to love it? :downs:"

"Learn to love the taste of my poo poo" :nexus:

User's account is expired. They call to ask why they can't log in. I tell them their account is expired, and we need a manager to give us a new expiry date (or tell us the person is now permanent) to re-enable the account. This is our security policy.

First they tried to play sympathy, saying they were actively supporting students. Then they tried to play urgency, saying assignments would be arriving in a week for them to mark. Then they tried to say it was too difficult to get ahold of their supervisor, they were still on vacation.

Told them they should get on trying to contact their manager, because it takes us about 30 seconds to re-enable the account once we get the okay.

"Well can I just give you my new expiry date?"

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

"Learn to love the taste of my poo poo" :nexus:

User's account is expired. They call to ask why they can't log in. I tell them their account is expired, and we need a manager to give us a new expiry date (or tell us the person is now permanent) to re-enable the account. This is our security policy.

First they tried to play sympathy, saying they were actively supporting students. Then they tried to play urgency, saying assignments would be arriving in a week for them to mark. Then they tried to say it was too difficult to get ahold of their supervisor, they were still on vacation.

Told them they should get on trying to contact their manager, because it takes us about 30 seconds to re-enable the account once we get the okay.

"Well can I just give you my new expiry date?"

Same thing happens here, but for building access badge changes.

"Yeah I need my badge to open &School"
"We need an email from the building principal or the director of Food Services (if you work for food services)"
"Can't I just email you?"
"no."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nerdrock posted:

Same thing happens here, but for building access badge changes.

"Yeah I need my badge to open &School"
"We need an email from the building principal or the director of Food Services (if you work for food services)"
"Can't I just email you?"
"no."

I had a several day back-and-forth with sales about re-enabling the account for somebody where every single message they sent us just got a reply of "HR needs to send us a ticket about this."

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Side note :

User asked to check the spam filter for something they were expecting. did a double-take when i saw they were getting messages from horseclicks.com

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

I’d like to know why anyone thought “Clutter” was a good idea.

You can't disable clutter for the tenant, but you can disable it for all (currently existing) mailboxes. It's up to you if you want to change your make-a-mailbox procedure, or just schedule the removal.

code:
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-Clutter -Enable $False

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our Fortinet puked for no reason at 3:45pm

Couldn't ping it, couldn't console in, nobody could get online, power-cycled the fucker and it's been okay since.

Fortinet tech remoted in, checked out the logs, didn't see anything weird, said "It was probably up too long"

Seriously?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Company policy makes my reboot my workstation every five days, all the servers loving better have to too god dammit

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I wonder how this Meltdown and Spectre thing effects network equipment that's Intel based. :derp:

Really hope it doesn't otherwise my life is going to be a living hell for a while.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

*** This is a system generated email. Please do not respond to this message. ***

Dear Customer,

This email is to inform you that your ticket has been updated.

Ticket Title: Fortigate stopped responding
Ticket Status: Researching
Updated by xxxxxxxxxx at 1/4/2018 11:01:25 AM
Hello xxxxxx

Thank you for taking my call today.
The unit became irresponsiv
Looking into the crashlog we did not see any clue related to the non responsiveness of the Fortigate.
-The system log shows high cpu or high memory
-The unit does not seems to have been rebooted for more than a year, which can cause some processes to hang. In this case only a reboot can solve the issue.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

I wonder how this Meltdown and Spectre thing effects network equipment that's Intel based. :derp:

Really hope it doesn't otherwise my life is going to be a living hell for a while.

The vulnerabilities requires the attacker is able to execute code. Usually networking equipment wouldn't accept code to run from arbitrary sources, I think? So it would need to be combined with another vulnerability as a manner of privilege escalation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Prescription Combs posted:

Palo Alto is already sending me warning emails with new patches.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nerdrock posted:

Side note :

User asked to check the spam filter for something they were expecting. did a double-take when i saw they were getting messages from horseclicks.com

That is a great domain, not sure if I want to go to it or not though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Description: User is having issues with blocked website. Wants to speak to someone about it. (https://www.foxnews.com)

I called the guy and was treated to a 15 minute tirade about fake news. I work for a local government, and he was asking me things like " which one of those liberals at city hall told yall to block fox news? " " I can get to fake rear end CNN just fine, but not my fox news. " " I've been here 15 years and never have I seen such bias" :bahgawd: :bahgawd: :bahgawd: :bahgawd: and so on and so on. Once I managed to talk him down off the ledge, we determine that his aircard had dropped off because he was at a lift station in the middle of nofuckingwhere.

My only complaint about working here is the helpdesk is staffed by university interns and they are completely useless. When they actually can be arsed to fill in a ticket with information like phone numbers and location they just dump everything into the network group's queue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nielsm posted:

The vulnerabilities requires the attacker is able to execute code. Usually networking equipment wouldn't accept code to run from arbitrary sources, I think? So it would need to be combined with another vulnerability as a manner of privilege escalation.

Most likely.

I know of a couple devices that do allow easy break out (as a matter of design) to the underlying OS the appliance runs on, but for the most part your Cisco/Juniper/Extreme switches won't generally be susceptible to Meltdown or Spectre without something worse being wrong.

Sickening posted:

Palo Alto is already sending me warning emails with new patches.

This makes sense since it's really just a bunch of interrelated applications running on top of <open source OS>. Most IDS/IPS (and some firewalls) are likely similar.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 4, 2018

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Proteus Jones posted:

Most likely.

I know of a couple devices that do allow easy break out (as a matter of design) to the underlying OS the appliance runs on, but for the most part your Cisco/Juniper/Extreme switches won't generally be susceptible to Meltdown or Spectre without something worse being wrong.

This makes sense since it's really just a bunch of interrelated applications running on top of <open source OS>. Most IDS/IPS (and some firewalls) are likely similar.

The stuff I saw from PA today was an emergency content update with new vulnerability signatures for:

critical 40488 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0769
critical 40489 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0762
critical 40490 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0773
critical 40491 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0776
critical 40492 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0774
critical 40493 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0777
critical 40496 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0758
critical 40498 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0775

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rafikki posted:

The stuff I saw from PA today was an emergency content update with new vulnerability signatures for:

critical 40488 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0769
critical 40489 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0762
critical 40490 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0773
critical 40491 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0776
critical 40492 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0774
critical 40493 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0777
critical 40496 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0758
critical 40498 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0775

LOL.

2018 is off to a rip roaring start.