Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

Wait, the response sounds like if you do a level 3 special second in the combo it'll activate the level 2 combo but still dish out level 3 damage. Is that right?

Sounds like art levels don't matter for the sequential activation, only that the art must be higher than the level you're activating it for (ie don't use art level 1 to activate combo 3, I think?)

Yeah, you can do a level 3 - level 3 - level 3 blade combo since the first step is 1 or above, second is 2 or above and 3 is 3 or above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm phonepostin so I'm not gonna search for quotes but some quick notes:

You can always use your specials at whatever element and level they're at on your active character (the one you are controlling), even if they won't progress a chain.

Using a level 4 special will actually make you and your party invulnerable during the cutscene, which is a good way to dodge huge damage attacks if you see them coming.

You can only have one orb of each element going at a time, so if you have a fire orb up and you do another combo that ends in fire you won't get a second orb, even if you took a different path to get there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This breakdown was also helpful for me, too, thanks! Though I vaguely remember the + button to chain attack tutorial happened somewhere in chapter 3.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Block: kill Ophion in the postgame. It'll drop a key you can use in the last dungeon to open a chest with 10 Dilation chips. They're the best block chip I know about; I don't know if there are any other sources in the game. Gold chips are only marginally worse and offer a 50% drop rate bonus instead. You can farm them from a bunch of sources; the most reliable is driver comboing the level 65 Vampire Queen Marion in Uraya.

Crit: If in the postgame, farm Cloud Sea King Ken in Tantal (fog) for Moon Matter chips. Otherwise, get Mirror Matter Chips from the Misdan Pipitos in Temperantia.

Also worth noting for those who might forget: While some uniques only spawn in specific conditions, once you kill them their tomestone lets you summon them in any condition at any time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Additional beginner battle tip is that doing a very small movement will cancel whatever attack animation you're in, which can be used to reset your animation at the end of a combo or you can continually stutterstep Rex/Pyra just after the first hit for a series of infinite, very fast autoattack animations which will charge your skills much quicker than normal

e: I just completed the Ancient Wisdom and Dark Mastery check at the Profaned Place secret location, and now I've got the Focus and Fire Mastery check. I need three more Focus to complete the check - Pyra has two more points she can unlock, Mythra has one, Wulfric has three. To get Wulfric's points, I would need to use his favorite board game, which is in Tantral, which is the next story location. If I went with Pyra and Mythra, I could easily get both points, the issue being that I would need to unlock their fifth affinity slot by forcefeeding them. Pray for me, my friends. It's dinner time.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 4, 2018

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Completing the field checks at the Profaned Place before you reach Tantal will not end well for you. That's the level 130 superboss.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Well, whoops. I didn't do the check yet but I decided to go back and do basically every other field check I've ever found. Most of them have been sort of pointless and lame rewards considering at what point you get some of those skills (Fortitude checks are the loving worst, all I have is Ursula and Poppi, might be time to pop some more cores) but some have been good, I got three Legendary cores that way. I'm about to head for Tantal and have been making sure to do pretty much everything available to me before I move on to other areas because otherwise I'll never do them

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ It's strange that, despite all the dumb UI stuff in this game, it had the sense to add the quality of life feature of recording the locations of all the field checks you've encountered and haven't completed.

Honestly, most chest rewards in this game just aren't that good or useful. Even rare/legendary cores generally don't give anything particularly useful. Chips/accessories, the other relevant items, mostly just drop from enemies.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I figured this would be the best place to ask, but I recently started playing and I was really enjoying this game. Up until the final fight in chapter 3. For the life of me I cannot get anywhere near close to finishing the fight. I know you're only supposed to cut down a little over half the health bar before something big happens, but I get maybe 1/4 of Akhos' health before they just annihilate my entire team. I'm around level 22-23 and thought maybe I might be a little under leveled, but watched a video of someone complete the fight with the same leveled party as mine. Any tips?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BisterdDave posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask, but I recently started playing and I was really enjoying this game. Up until the final fight in chapter 3. For the life of me I cannot get anywhere near close to finishing the fight. I know you're only supposed to cut down a little over half the health bar before something big happens, but I get maybe 1/4 of Akhos' health before they just annihilate my entire team. I'm around level 22-23 and thought maybe I might be a little under leveled, but watched a video of someone complete the fight with the same leveled party as mine. Any tips?

Equip anti-taunt accessories. Take control of Nia and just spam heal to keep the party alive.

Are you moving the stick slightly to reduce ending lag animation?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ It's strange that, despite all the dumb UI stuff in this game, it had the sense to add the quality of life feature of recording the locations of all the field checks you've encountered and haven't completed.

Honestly, most chest rewards in this game just aren't that good or useful. Even rare/legendary cores generally don't give anything particularly useful. Chips/accessories, the other relevant items, mostly just drop from enemies.

This is one case where I really think XenobladeX was the perfect WiiU game, having that extra handheld map with you at all times was so great and I think this game would work with it as well. I think a big feature I'd really like to see is the ability for you to set map markers for you to come back to later, like I'm doing Zenobia's affinity chart right now and I'm basically just googling every unique enemy location because how the hell am I supposed to remember where each one is and what their names are

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
So I've been reading spoilers. I have some questions before I get to a certain point:

I heard Rex will be able to summon any unique rare blade you have collected at a certain point in the game. How does that work? Like will they all be in his blade assignment menu? If Rex has a blade that I want another character to have, should I overdrive it before Rex gets this ability, or will he be able to freely overdrive blades he's collected beforehand he gets to this point? Also, when exactly does this happen to him so I'm prepared?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Tae posted:

Equip anti-taunt accessories. Take control of Nia and just spam heal to keep the party alive.

Are you moving the stick slightly to reduce ending lag animation?

No, I'm not moving the stick to reduce animation lag. Do you mean at the end of an attack move the character a bit to restart the hit chain?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Raimondo posted:

So I've been reading spoilers. I have some questions before I get to a certain point:

I heard Rex will be able to summon any unique rare blade you have collected at a certain point in the game. How does that work? Like will they all be in his blade assignment menu? If Rex has a blade that I want another character to have, should I overdrive it before Rex gets this ability, or will he be able to freely overdrive blades he's collected beforehand he gets to this point? Also, when exactly does this happen to him so I'm prepared?

Super super late. Like I acquired that ability like 60 hours in.

BisterdDave posted:

No, I'm not moving the stick to reduce animation lag. Do you mean at the end of an attack move the character a bit to restart the hit chain?

Try this for a test. Use Rex. move the stick slightly after Rex's first swing connects. See how much faster he charges up the meter.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Raimondo posted:

Rex gets access to literally any Blade your party has, not just rare ones. What happens is that he just has your entire Blade collection on his equip screen. Rex cannot freely give Blades to other characters, but his ability to equip any Blade happens so late in the game it's not that big of a deal.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Raimondo posted:

It lets him equip any blade in his 'engage blade' menu. You don't need to prepare for it because it's all 100% reversible. It's not overdriving.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

BisterdDave posted:

Akhos is the main threat because he has a move that inflicts Shackle Driver, which stops you from doing anything. The accessories shop in town sells an accessory that grants resistance to this; I got by only giving one to Nia.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I like how Nopon can't be drivers with the exception of maybe one Nopon in the history of this game's world but a really big goat can somehow manage

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Tae posted:

Super super late. Like I acquired that ability like 60 hours in.

Try this for a test. Use Rex. move the stick slightly after Rex's first swing connects. See how much faster he charges up the meter.

Oh wow, didn't know about that. Thanks for that. Now it just seems like my damage output is too low. I guess I still don't have a good enough understanding of the combo system and using it effectively.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Oh wow, didn't know about that. Thanks for that. Now it just seems like my damage output is too low. I guess I still don't have a good enough understanding of the combo system and using it effectively.
I forget are there chips by that point in the game? Have you put them on your blades? They really increase the amount of damage you do.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Fritzler posted:

I forget are there chips by that point in the game? Have you put them on your blades? They really increase the amount of damage you do.

Yeah, I have increase strength chips as well as resist chips for Shackle equipped.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah, I have increase strength chips as well as resist chips for Shackle equipped.

not accessories, chips. The things you have your Blades equip, not your Drivers

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

U-DO Burger posted:

not accessories, chips. The things you have your Blades equip, not your Drivers

Ahh, I see. But yes, I do have chips equipped that allow for the max attack that I can get at the moment.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BisterdDave posted:

There are Aux Cores and Chips. Chips permanently change a blade's weapon (and can be overwritten with another chip, but you don't get a refund). Aux Cores are bonuses that can be equipped and swapped freely.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Finished 2 of my 4-stars

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've opened maybe five legendary cores with the luck stats I have and I didn't even get any four-stars, let alone any rares.

How long do you reckon it took to max that chart altogether?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I only have two blade slots atm and have never Smashed a launch.

I feel like I'm missing out but I'll soldier on till I get there

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Pierson posted:

I've opened maybe five legendary cores with the luck stats I have and I didn't even get any four-stars, let alone any rares.

How long do you reckon it took to max that chart altogether?

I didnt keep track. I never equipped them and only sent them on merc missions.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I, too, just finished the Affinity chart on a 4* Blade and got a nice shiny Overdrive Core! Nia and Boreas get to be buddies now.

I have one more 4* Blade and then... I dunno.

I also started farming some Core Crystals with that Vampire unique monster in Uraya. Thanks a bunch for the tips about her! I got a bunch of Rare cores and even a Legendary. One of them even yielded a Unique Blade! It's Agate. She's on Five because I've been shoving all the core crystals at him in the hopes that Zenobia will come home. No dice yet. But at least Agate is a DPS Blade who is on a DPS character?

What's the best way to get Boosters? I've been using the wind-element increasing Boosters in a vain attempt to maybe tip the odds in favor of Zenobia showing up. Unless it doesn't matter and I'm wasting my time...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

What's the best way to get Boosters? I've been using the wind-element increasing Boosters in a vain attempt to maybe tip the odds in favor of Zenobia showing up. Unless it doesn't matter and I'm wasting my time...

Salvage. They're things you get beyond the 38k monies.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

liquidating your common blades

also salvaging

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Salvage is probably the quickest. You get more boosters per blade for 3-star and below if their affinity chart is maxed when you release them, but the time investment isn't really worth it (you get 5 of one booster type and 3 of another for a maxed 3-star)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

dumping 20 crappy commons gives me like 50-60 boosters. if you're shooting for a specific blade you're going to have a bunch of useless blades anyway

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Xarbala posted:

I only have two blade slots atm and have never Smashed a launch.

I feel like I'm missing out but I'll soldier on till I get there

I was over a hundred hours into the game before I realized smash was a state. I thought it was just big damage for an attack. In fact I'm not even sure if I get it, because I remember smashing launched enemies and having the combo end there.

It's useful but I haven't felt super pressed to do the entire combo. The game seems way more interested in blade combos.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tae posted:

Salvage. They're things you get beyond the 38k monies.

Ah yes, Salvaging. Any particular spot?

And you know while I'm here... there's a food item I need for Gorg's Affinity quest. It's a buyable (presumably) beverage: Armu Milk Earl Gray. Some casual Googling said the cafe in Indol should sell that but.. I'm already past the point where that's not an option anymore. Did the Indol cafe, and the other shops, move somewhere else?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Ah yes, Salvaging. Any particular spot?

And you know while I'm here... there's a food item I need for Gorg's Affinity quest. It's a buyable (presumably) beverage: Armu Milk Earl Gray. Some casual Googling said the cafe in Indol should sell that but.. I'm already past the point where that's not an option anymore. Did the Indol cafe, and the other shops, move somewhere else?

I think that one is in lefteria now.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

EDIT: nevermind

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

I was over a hundred hours into the game before I realized smash was a state. I thought it was just big damage for an attack. In fact I'm not even sure if I get it, because I remember smashing launched enemies and having the combo end there.

It's useful but I haven't felt super pressed to do the entire combo. The game seems way more interested in blade combos.

It is Big Damage, it's just Big Damage that you can only inflict if the enemy is launched. It does not cause an ongoing status effect like the rest of the driver combo.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
At one point I absolutely got Smash as a status, like break or topple, and even got a message for doing a blade combo during it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's the fusion combo. You'll get big fancy slowdown and announcements (and mechanical bonuses) for inflicting various parts of the driver combo during a blade combo, including smash. The announcer will shout something like "Steam Bomb Smash!" But it's still not a status as smashing is the endpoint of the driver combo and instantly ends it. This gets announced too, as "Driver combo complete!"