Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

Wait I'm allowed to get pissed that my boss is a dumb piece of poo poo who treats me like garbage? Or did I miss Harmon doing something else?

- Harmon says 2018 should be the year of "Not as Much of an rear end in a top hat"
- Megan Ganz basically dares him to 'fess up to his behavior towards her on Community, saying that "redemption follows allocution"--as in, say what you did, you rear end in a top hat
- Harmon offers some mealy-mouthed pseudo-sort of apologies
- Ganz isn't buying it, says she was treated horribly and wants him to actually own up
- Harmon responds by saying he'll "co-sign" or attest to any statement she puts out there, claiming he has a foggy memory--as in, "fine, I'll cop to it, but you have to relive it and write it and post it publicly where people will probably shame you and call you a slut whore worthless bitch"

Basically, pure manipulative bullshit. He's fine with admitting he's an rear end in a top hat, but he doesn't want to proactively talk about just how much of an rear end in a top hat he is, he wants someone else to do it for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

AFAIK, he's not really involved with that series to a significant degree. Someone else was writing it I think.

i'm gonna pretend this is a response to the fantasy football answer

so hey do you want "Black Mirror, but interactive"? play Tacoma. from the guys who made Gone Home and Firewatch. you explore an empty space station and find AI "memories" that are recordings of the crew talking about what's happening and so forth, and while the memories "play" you see VR "shadows" of the people and even use that to solve some basic puzzles. It's very very good and despite being real pretty is optimized to run on even our 5 year old laptop with onboard graphics

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Basically, pure manipulative bullshit. He's fine with admitting he's an rear end in a top hat, but he doesn't want to proactively talk about just how much of an rear end in a top hat he is, he wants someone else to do it for him.

this is peak dan harmon, jesus christ

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

- Harmon says 2018 should be the year of "Not as Much of an rear end in a top hat"

Well he's got a leg up on my boss right there.

Bosses suck and are assholes, this is not unique to Dan Harmon, who is most assuredly a piece of poo poo for a multitude of reasons, just this one seems quite mundane.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It being foggy to Dan is actually totally believable because of how much of an alcoholic he is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/animaniacs-revived-at-hulu-2-season-order-1071663

Animaniacs gets a two season order in Hulu. IMO, this is only going to be good if they get the same voice cast back.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, LA to Vegas is pretty fun.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Have you watched Animaniacs lately? I loved it as a kid and enjoyed revisiting a few classic bits and songs on YouTube but when they added the show to Netflix and I actually sat down to watch an episode I just sat stone faced for 20 minutes because there's a whole lot of chaff surrounding every germ of comedy.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Animaniacs could lose everything that isn't the Waners or Pinky & the Brain and nothing of value would be lost. I guess Slappy Squirrel had a few good moments but then they did that "Very Special Episode" where she gets dementia or something and it pretty much ruined the character for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Speaking of revivals, Fox Broadcasting Company President of Entertainment Michael Thorn says talks have begun with the creators of “Prison Break” about a further season: “We are developing a new iteration of Prison Break. It’s very early stages of development.”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Space Prison or gently caress off.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bull3964 posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/animaniacs-revived-at-hulu-2-season-order-1071663

Animaniacs gets a two season order in Hulu. IMO, this is only going to be good if they get the same voice cast back.

This will not be good. It never is.
Beavis and Butt-Head is the sole exception.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

And from what I'm given to understand, the B&B reunion/reboot/continuation/whatever didn't even do that well. :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

raditts posted:

Duck Tales.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Duck Tales.

Okay, two exceptions. Although New Duck Tales is different enough that it could be considered a completely separate show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can't be as bad as MacGyver.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

CBJSprague24 posted:

I found The Wire Season 1 at Walmart for $10 so it became a late Christmas present and, even though it's been a slow buildup to this point, I'm enjoying it. Think I just finished episode 4, the one with the topless, lesbian makeout session at the end.

That’s the episode with Bunk and McNulty doing police work in that apartment, and it’s just them going ‘gently caress’ and ‘motherfucker’ the whole time.

Jesus Christ The Wire holds the gently caress up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Could be worse, they could reboot Tiny Toon Adventures Wacky Races.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Could be worse, they could reboot Tiny Toon Adventures Wacky Races Loonatics.

Also the Beavis & Butthead revival was not good. Mostly because Judge forgot how to do the Beavis voice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Also the Beavis & Butthead revival was not good. Mostly because Judge forgot how to do the Beavis voice.

Could just be vocal inability. Frank Oz's Yoda has sounded like Miss Piggy since 1999.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Less forgot, and more struggles to do it as he’s gotten older. I thought the revival was great, and riffing on MTV shows was a great idea from both a business point of view, and to show how things have changed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Could just be vocal inability. Frank Oz's Yoda has sounded like Miss Piggy since 1999.

I think Judge even commented that he'd lost the magic. A drat shame because the Cornholio episode would have been magical had the voice been correct.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
How did the X-Files get so awful? Was the greatness of the original just a fluke, is everyone just cynically cashing-in? I keep trying to push through since its one of my most beloved childhood memories but christ, its embarrassing (on the last ep of the 2nd to last season).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The best part is how Mulder should totally be one of the "9/11 was an inside job" kooks but they don't have the balls to do that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

False posted:

How did the X-Files get so awful? Was the greatness of the original just a fluke, is everyone just cynically cashing-in? I keep trying to push through since its one of my most beloved childhood memories but christ, its embarrassing (on the last ep of the 2nd to last season).

It was pretty awful in it's original run by like, season 5.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The best part is how Mulder should totally be one of the "9/11 was an inside job" kooks but they don't have the balls to do that.

Of course it wasn't an inside job, but they totally used some technology from an alien space ship crash in the mountains of Afghanistan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

X-Files was amazing for what it did for mainstreaming genre shows back in the day and a lot of it stands up today. However, the mythology episodes were always pretty bad because there was never any plan and they were making it up as they went along. MOTW were always the stronger episodes of the X-Files and that's still true with the revival series. The problem is with the shorter run and the insistence of Chris Carter to inject mythology into them. That means fewer MOTW and more main plot-line that never made any sense and no one cares about.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If they were going to resurrect a 90s WB comedy cartoon Freakazoid! would probably be a way better fit for the modern TV landscape since superheroes and wacky internet humor are both big right now and the classic cartoon shorts that Tiny Toons and Animaniacs lean on so heavily haven't actually been on TV since, like, the Bush administration.

Rhyno posted:

I thought it was really good! Mike Judge has a pretty terrible track record with revisiting concepts (The Goode Family after King of the Hill, Extract after Office Space) but the actual animated shorts were funnier than a lot of the ones in the original one and making up for the lack of contemporary music videos and the licensing issues of the original run by riffing on reality shows worked really well. The only real issue I had was that, presumably due to budget/time issues, during the video parts a lot of the cutaways were recycled low-quality 4:3 clips of animation from the original run instead of actually reanimating it and it clashed horribly with other animated clips in the same scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I made a Black Lightning thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845609

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Speaking of revivals, Fox Broadcasting Company President of Entertainment Michael Thorn says talks have begun with the creators of “Prison Break” about a further season: “We are developing a new iteration of Prison Break. It’s very early stages of development.”

I unabashedly loved Prison Break, and even I realized last year's new season was pretty awful. And half the fun was all those great actors chewing the scenery. Without Wentworth Miller, William Fichtner, and Robert Knepper (who I always loved in everything, but now that we know he was an abusive rapist, gently caress that guy) out-crazying each other, it wouldn't be the same.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

IRQ posted:

Wait I'm allowed to get pissed that my boss is a dumb piece of poo poo who treats me like garbage? Or did I miss Harmon doing something else?

There's definitely an undercurrent of sexual harassment in this exchange, the phone number and building walls part in particular, but Ganz understandably doesn't seem to want to spell it out.

bull3964 posted:

X-Files was amazing for what it did for mainstreaming genre shows back in the day and a lot of it stands up today. However, the mythology episodes were always pretty bad because there was never any plan and they were making it up as they went along. MOTW were always the stronger episodes of the X-Files and that's still true with the revival series. The problem is with the shorter run and the insistence of Chris Carter to inject mythology into them. That means fewer MOTW and more main plot-line that never made any sense and no one cares about.

The reviews pretty much all say the new series is fairly strong, except for the opener. Apparently there's even a fairly good Chris Carter episode! To no one's surprise the Darin Morgan episode is supposed to be spectacular.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

J-Spot posted:

Animaniacs could lose everything that isn't the Waners or Pinky & the Brain and nothing of value would be lost. I guess Slappy Squirrel had a few good moments but then they did that "Very Special Episode" where she gets dementia or something and it pretty much ruined the character for me.

Also Good Idea, Bad Idea needs to stay.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The X-Files was and still is good when they're doing standalone episodes. The myth arc stuff has largely always been confusing and bad, especially in the later seasons where it's obvious that Chris Carter didn't have any master plan. I don't think the new episodes are any better or worse than the rest of the series, the problem is that the seasons are shorter and Chris Carter is still adamant about including myth arc poo poo so there's less good standalone episodes overall.

The previous season had one really good episode that made it worth it, so I'll probably give the new one a shot when it's over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HorseRenoir posted:

The previous season had one really good episode that made it worth it, so I'll probably give the new one a shot when it's over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IRQ posted:

Well he's got a leg up on my boss right there.

Bosses suck and are assholes, this is not unique to Dan Harmon, who is most assuredly a piece of poo poo for a multitude of reasons, just this one seems quite mundane.

You're giving him some very unearned benefit of the doubt.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ay dios mio!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Could be worse, they could reboot Tiny Toon Adventures Wacky Races.

I've got bad news for you...

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I had to look up who the twitter fighting people are.

Personally I just can't deal with prick bosses. I mean the casting couch is what it is and at the end of The Bird Revelation Chappelle reiterated and expanded on Ian McKellan's point about it. But if there's one thing that absolutely flicks my kill switch it's verbally abusive bosses. I love James Cameron movies and used to have dreams about working for him when I was a kid and wanted to be a director, but being older now and having held actual jobs I know I'd never be able to work in Hollywood because the first time James Cameron started some belligerent, red-faced screaming tirade I'd end up just pulling his head off his shoulders. The pervasiveness of verbal abuse in Hollywood seems to be rivaled only by the degree to which everyone has their job because they were somebody's cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

loving lmao, no way.