Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
The Crawl 0.21 Tournament starts on January 5th and ends January 21st!

Hang out in our Discord server! https://discord.gg/3JEyRYg

What is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup?

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is a popular, free roguelike game focusing on tactics, balance, variety and a lasting challenge. A roguelike is generally a turn-based RPG, with an emphasis on randomly generated worlds, a high depth of play, huge menageries of monsters, and some MacGuffin you have to dig up and escape with. Most roguelikes use ASCII characters for graphics, though an increasing number utilize graphical tiles, like Crawl. Roguelikes are usually very tough to beat, and death is often permanent: once you're dead, you're dead.

This has all of the elements of a classic roguelike, but avoids the major annoyances and monotonous requirements present in many of them. It makes playing the game a natural experience, without "gotcha" deaths that demand an encyclopedia of knowledge. Everything you need to know to survive is present in each turn, whether it be through careful observation, making use of the resources you've collected and learned, or referring to the help by pressing "?" if you're not sure what each key does yet.

Crawl is great because it demands attention to survive, but skips or automates a lot of the boring stuff that slows down similar games. New changes always have reasoning based in fun or balance. When you die, it's usually because you overestimated your strength, took a chance, and lost. You'll learn from each death; you will die early and often. When the game smiles upon you with some really good items and luck, hubris often becomes your worst enemy. Although the game is heavily dependent on luck, victory is always possible even if you are getting the short stick at every turn. Veteran players can streak wins together with random characters.

Major design goals:
  • challenging and unpredictable gameplay, with an emphasis on tactical skill
  • meaningful decisions (no no-brainer, works-every-time-with-every-character play choices)
  • grinding is unnecessary
  • a simplified and elegant interface, with a helpful tutorial and mouse support for new players
Minor design goals:
  • clarity of design (playable without the need for external spoilers)
  • thematic consistency (no lightsaber-wielding orcs)
  • replayability and lasting challenge (with optional branches, multiple race/background/god choices, and optional challenges)
  • proper use of out-of-depth monsters

What's new in v0.21?

New Species: Gnolls!

Gnolls are jack russell terriers of all trades, by our very own awesome friend Floodkiller! They gain levels in all abilities equally, but cannot specialize in any. This makes for a warrior that can change weapons, spell schools or fighting styles at any point in the game, but may have trouble with the highest level spells or equipment.

New God: Wu Jian Council!

Enter the Wu Jian Council! This god is the brain child of our resident SteelNeuron. Worshipping the council will bless you with an ancient fighting style that weaves through enemies, bounces off walls and creates a tornado of damage.

Other Notable Changes:
  • Branches: Pandemonium gives you unique levels more frequently. Shave an hour off your 15-rune!
  • Skills: You can now set a target level for skills. No more accidental level 27 Shields!
  • Spells: Borgnjor's Vile Clutch. Grab your enemies with hands from hell like that Scorpion Fatality!
  • Wands: Wands now stack their charges. Less inventory clutter! Bring back Pakellas!
  • Lots of new graphical sprites!
  • More things removed or tweaked for the top 1% of players! RIP Purple chunks! Hooray? :confused:

There's more little changes, so read the Full 0.21 Changelog if you play often.

Cool, I guess. What else is going on with Crawl?
  • Our resident Floodkiller is currently working on a fork, Gooncrawl! It will implement features cut from vanilla that everyone misses, plus new features for the fun of it. Early stages of development, but expect to see it online and available for download soon!
  • Another fork, Hellcrawl, has been around for a bit and has been enjoyed by many. More difficult, less annoyances and very intense. Playable online when the tournament is done.

Why play Online?
  • Spectate live games and chat with the player and others! Check out this list of everyone playing right now, and click "Watch" to see their live game.
  • Progress and settings (rcfile) are saved.
  • Keep track of your victories, defeats, and all kinds of stats.
  • Always up-to-date, with nightly builds available to play.
  • Participate in the January 5 - January 21 Tournament to show off your skill!
  • Paricipate in the next tournament!

You can play Crawl in your browser very easily. The most popular servers are:

Other servers and instructions for joining via SSH/Telnet (with a client such as KiTTY or PuTTY) are available here: How to play Online.

Play Offline

If you prefer a lagless experience offline, you can Download Crawl for Windows, Max OSX, Linux and Android.

The chats, communities and resources:
  • ##crawl on Freenode - Official Dungeon Crawl IRC. You can chat, ask for help, and get up-to-date information from bots, veterans, and devs.
  • Crawl Wiki - A good source for general information and spoilers. Be wary of the game version displayed on each page; some will be quite outdated!
  • LearnDB - Searchable repository of Dungeon Crawl lore. Almost always up to date & accurate, but sometimes its terseness and in-jokes do it no favors.
  • Knowledge Bot - Uses LearnDB, IRC bots and sprites to provide a very nice search engine for almost anything about the game.
  • The Tavern - Official Dungeon Crawl forum.
  • /r/DCSS - le reddit.
  • ##gooncrawl on Freenode - For a goonier chat.

Other Stuff:

Earlier threads:
Crawl 0.20: Home of the Frog Dog
Crawl 0.19: Just Riposte (pastebin dump)
Crawl 0.18: Purple Reign
Crawl 0.17: Corn enemies no longer popcorn
Crawl 0.16: Ru asks you to sacrifice your free time! This is a trivial butt
Crawl 0.15: Terrifying, Ever-Gnashing Radulae
Crawl 0.14: You feel energized by your suffering!
Crawl 0.13: FoIE GrAs: You are engorged.
Crawl 0.12: Erolcha banished me and gave me apocalypse crabs
Crawl 0.11: Eight legs and it's not an Octopode: Welcome to Spider
Crawl 0.10: Your tentacles turn into razor-sharp scythe blades
Crawl 0.9: A meow rips itself from your throat
Crawl 0.8: Mennas II Society
Crawl 0.7: The Dying Game
Crawl 0.6: Slouching towards The Abyss
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.5.0: Now with less Oklob!
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.4.0
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.3.0

I am not always playing or checking on this game week to week. Please PM me if any important info is missing/changed.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

first replying to say that the 'petrified heart' idea from internet kraken is a great idea no matter how it's flavored

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aren't Gnolls also the brainchild of a goon?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Zaodai posted:

Aren't Gnolls also the brainchild of a goon?

I think so, I just forgot who. Always willing to add improvements or changes to the OP.

I'll do my annual one or two wins for the tournament. Add "# TEAMCAPTAIN jerkstore" to the top of your .21 rc and give me your username if you are similarly playing out of ritual at this point, and suggest a team name.

edit: Floodkiller has been doing so much recently that I forgot he made the dog people. :downs:

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 5, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I'm unreasonably pleased you went with my thread title suggestion :3:.

I think the idea of the Harp of Healing as an evocable is a cool idea, but I still like the Wand of Healing. I don't see why they have to be exclusive!

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
evocable items... ftw

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So Zin worshippers are mutation immune?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Gooncrawl's got me interested in this again. Looking forward to see what Floodkiller ends up putting out.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

euphronius posted:

So Zin worshippers are mutation immune?

at full piety, it seems you can only remove mutations with a potion and can't get any new ones.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Bring Back Sludge Elves

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I was going to ask if this game was still on its death march to bad game hell, but it looks like someone's working on a fork to fix exactly that

nice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

haven't played in years but I'm legally obligated to come in and say

vaal the skyforth
eat the purple
hail xom

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Weeping Wound posted:

I was going to ask if this game was still on its death march to bad game hell, but it looks like someone's working on a fork to fix exactly that

nice

Hellcrawl already fixed it. Gooncrawl is gonna fix it in an entirely different manner though

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ciaphas posted:

haven't played in years but I'm legally obligated to come in and say

eat the purple

Boy do I have bad news for you about .21!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zaodai posted:

Boy do I have bad news for you about .21!

Don't ruin things for me like this! What did they dooooooo :cry:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ciaphas posted:

well, 'eating' and 'purple' don't exactly go together anymore since the latter no longer exists

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Ciaphas posted:

Purple chunks are gone because... uh, the pros don't eat them? :shrug:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it was kind of the last straw leading up to the new thread title's namesake

we forkin

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Reposting the Crab Race idea survey. Got several bits of good feedback/ideas from others, hoping for some more.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my God this truly is the worst timeline. :cry:

Good luck with that fork.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

I think so, I just forgot who. Always willing to add improvements or changes to the OP.

I'll do my annual one or two wins for the tournament. Add "# TEAMCAPTAIN jerkstore" to the top of your .21 rc and give me your username if you are similarly playing out of ritual at this point, and suggest a team name.

edit: Floodkiller has been doing so much recently that I forgot he made the dog people. :downs:

I'm in for a ritual win, though I'm definitely not attempting to go all in like previous tournaments (removing the purple without something to replace it was too far). I'll play until I win a Gnoll or I'm a failed developer.

Eela6 posted:

I'm unreasonably pleased you went with my thread title suggestion :3:.

I think the idea of the Harp of Healing as an evocable is a cool idea, but I still like the Wand of Healing. I don't see why they have to be exclusive!

I broke everything trying to put it back in because the wand back-end got changed since it was removed and I'm too dumb to figure it out why it keeps crashing at the moment. I know that a lot of people liked the wand though, thus the evocable.

I like the flavor ideas of both of the harp and heart, so I threw together a quick poll:
https://goo.gl/forms/RUgS89C5vwH2YrXW2

I'll leave this open until I get a decent sample size, since it's pretty simple to adjust a name and a quick flavor addition compared to how different pizza re-implementations would have been.

E:

nogic posted:

Bring Back Sludge Elves
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/commit/2d5e925b96c4f5c879af211216be3b894fb8e40a

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 5, 2018

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I've got a team name to throw out for some willing goons, the most goonish one I can think of:

gnollse.cx

Clan names must contain only alphanumeric characters, underscores, and hyphens

Me and devlan have formed a small team of two people who are probably not going to play (I've been loving Slay the Spire) so we decided to release this team name to the wild, hopefully someone who can drive it up to the top of the leader board.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It occurs to me that this evokable is pretty similar to an ambrosia except it's easier to end early. I don't think that's a problem though

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

It occurs to me that this evokable is pretty similar to an ambrosia except it's easier to end early. I don't think that's a problem though

Ambrosia's more about the MP regen anyway, the HP regen is just a slight bonus.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not if you never use MP

or if MP is just HP because you always wear guardian shield

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

I'm still garbage at this game but I love banners too much to not play in the tournament :( I'll be on your team, username's the same.

However, I want to put in my two cents for a Wand of Healing replacement: the Censer of Healing, which produces clouds of healing smoke. If you (or any monster) stand in the cloud, you get healed, and clouds break LoS as in Scroll of Fog, but obviously once you move out of the cloud, the healing stops. Similar to the proposed healing evocables, it would provide the function of emergency burst healing, but also provides a tactical downside in that anything in melee with you is also going to regain HP. The intended use case would be waiting around for a teleport to go off (or right afterward), especially if you're being murdered by torment or ranged attacks that you were not prepared for. It could even be flavored as being a censer devoted to your god, with perhaps a small boost to healing from piety.

I have no idea if this would be too broken or if the coding would be too difficult, so input is welcome. I also really like the Petrified Heart idea!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Pinechild posted:

I'm still garbage at this game but I love banners too much to not play in the tournament :( I'll be on your team, username's the same.

Cool, you and Floodkiller so far. Room for 3 more members. Name is currently "Bring Back Everything" but not thrilled with it if there are suggestions.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Aw eating purple chunks was fun and silly. Sad to see it go.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

jerkstoresup posted:

Cool, you and Floodkiller so far. Room for 3 more members. Name is currently "Bring Back Everything" but not thrilled with it if there are suggestions.
I'm down for one last hurrah.

worldfamousw is account

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Wow cool Floodkiller, I didn't see that you made a fork, that's awesome. There's a bug in it though - it seems you have based it off the wrong crawl.

For real though, I would rather have djinni back than any of those things....if I code it will you merge?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wow cool Floodkiller, I didn't see that you made a fork, that's awesome. There's a bug in it though - it seems you have based it off the wrong crawl.

For real though, I would rather have djinni back than any of those things....if I code it will you merge?

If you have a functional pull request, I can put it up for the thread to vote on and merge if approved.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please bring back torpor snails

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is where i find out they were never taken out ive just never happened to see any for a long time

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Torn on if I wanna play in the tourney or not. On one hand, I love banners. On the other hand, ultimately ineffectual protest!

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

jerkstoresup posted:

Mind if I join? User name is the same.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Thalamas posted:

Mind if I join? User name is the same.

Sure, one more spot available. Not looking to compete, just get some banners and try to enjoy a win or two.

team Bring Back Everything (still open for a better team name)
# TEAMCAPTAIN jerkstore
1. Floodkiller
2. pinechild
3. worldfamousw
4. Thalamas
5. cliffracer

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 5, 2018

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

Sure, one more spot available. Not looking to compete, just get some banners and try to enjoy a win or two.

team Bring Back Everything (still open for a better team name)
# TEAMCAPTAIN jerkstore
1. Floodkiller
2. pinechild
3. worldfamousw
4. Thalamas

OK I'm grabbing this as cliffracer

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anyone have a list of some of the more offensive changes the main branch has been making?

I haven't actively played in a while, but I enjoy hearing stories from my buddy who does. He recently swore off Crawl, which seemed extreme and arbitrary and kind of like something he would do. His particular hill to die on was that now you couldn't cast a weakened Sandblast without stones in your inventory therefore Earth Elementalists were completely non-viable. Perhaps there were some more consequential changes that I didn't hear about?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Here's a few things off the top of my head that I remember leading to complaints:
e: I doubt this is comprehensive, but I'm trying to limit myself to things where the thread reaction was generally negative

-Removing purple chunks
-Removing races, Mountain Dwarf was probably the most notable of these but High Elves' removal more recently caused a fuss.
-Removing a number of utility wands (heal wounds/haste/teleportation)
-Removing boulder beetles
-Removing amulets of resist mutation
-Changing Tomb to use fixed hatches instead of staircases
-Adding a rune lock to Vaults
-Removing book amnesia
-Shortening several branches (in a way that reduces available XP overall)
-Removing/nerfing various Charms (I haven't kept up with the changes but I know there has been a lot of this over the years)

e: added late, don't remember if this was uniformly a negative reaction but some people really cared
-Reworking Ogres to have better magic but changing Maces/Flails aptitude to -1
-Removing Pakellas entirely

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Honestly, the messing around with ogres apts is still the one that continues to bug me the most.

• Locked thread