Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

Bang Dream! Girls Band Party Presents
WRESTLE KINGDOM 13
January 4th at 2:00 AM EDT/7:00 GMT (preshow at 1:00/6:00)
TOKYO DOME

Preshow:Gauntlet Match to determine no.1 contenders for NEVER 6 Man Title - teams tba
NEVER Openweight Championship:Kota Ibushi(c) vs. Will Ospreay
IWGP Jr. Tag Championship 3Way:Suzuki-gun( Kanemaru and El Desperado) (c) vs. L.I.J (Shingo and BUSHI) vs. Roppongi 3K
British Heavyweight Championship:Tomohiro Ishii(c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
IWGP Tag Championship 3Way:GoD(c) vs. L.I.J (EVIL and SANADA) vs. Young Bucks
IWGP US Championship:Cody(c) vs. Juice Robinson
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship:KUSHIDA(c) vs. Taiji Ishimori
Special Single Match:Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White
IWGP Intercontinental Championship:Chris Jericho(c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
IWGP Heavyweight Championship:Kenny Omega(c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

kara's(@QaraKoyunlu) power rankings as of 12/16:

Links:
NJPW's official English language website

NJPW World Watch all major shows live or on demand for only about $9 a month

NJPW's official Youtube accounts (English) (Japanese)

NJPW's official twitter accounts (Global) (Japanese) (NJPW World)

Senor LARIATO's spreadsheet of must watch matches in the NJPW World Archives

Chris Charlton's twitter providing translations of Japanese language promos and interviews

PUROLOVE has results, schedules, and official gate figures for all puro feds large and small

Voices of Wrestling covers New Japan well and their forums are actually decent unlike most wrestling message boards I've seen besides this one. They have an
ebook available covering NJPW in 2017 which is available with a pay-what-you-want donation.

harperdc's guide to seeing wrestling in Japan posted in last year's thread

Forum thread for all puro outside of NJPW

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

reserved for any additional poo poo i may want to add later

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Kazuchika Okada is the best wrestler

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
heel jericho is cool

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

New Japan had an incredible 2017 and 2018 is already off to a fantastic start. I love you, Gedo, you bizarre man.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

New Japan had an incredible 2017 and 2018 is already off to a fantastic start. I love you, Gedo, you bizarre man.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Little kazu got them Long boys

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

More Chuck Taylor in New Japan in 2018 please, Gedo :unsmith:

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

From the prior thread

Sanguinia posted:

So, is it going to be Okada vs Sanada on Night 1 and Naito v Jericho on Night 2, maybe do an angle where Okada feels like he's being slighted by having the Champ relegated to Night 1 and a "lesser," opponent and it almost costs him, while Naito gets the special attraction match and Jericho plays up how beating Naito matters more because he's the most popular, play up that Naito's fan support has meaning even without the belt on him?

This would make a lot of sense, and play into that weird mixture of reality and kayfabe that Gedo seems to like using in NJPW.

I'd be all for it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The New Beginning shows are already looking cool as hell.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shibata was told after his brain injury from the Okada match that he had an 18% chance of survival :smith:

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I'm a fan of new Japan professional wrestling

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Shibata was told after his brain injury from the Okada match that he had an 18% chance of survival :smith:

Shibata then proceeded to sit cross-legged, cross-armed, and shake his head until his chances of survival raised to 80%.

It worked.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

pants

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Cameo posted:

Shibata then proceeded to sit cross-legged, cross-armed, and shake his head until his chances of survival raised to 80%.

It worked.

the shaking was actually neurological misfiring

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

My favorite thing about the pants is how they say KORM

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
quickly coming around on the pants. not bad

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Those pants are swag as gently caress, plus they totally changed up how tall Okada looked.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm just not into the bell bottoms. Pants are fine if they are tight. I wanna see that leg meat 🍖

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the wild and crazy guy kazuchika okada

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

oatgan posted:

the wild and crazy guy kazuchika okada

Long boys

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Kenny Omega: sorry I keep teasing a Golden Lovers reunion with Ibushi
Weepy bearded mark: omg KENNY

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to watch the New Years Dash.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Future Okada defenses should not only be for the title but also for the Wrestle Kingdom Pants.

Naito/Jericho gonna be great....

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Just caught up on New Years Dash. Really fun show as always. Just in case some folks are watching this morning, so glad Jericho is sticking around. Match will be... probably just pretty good, but build up will be fun.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Did it not come across on TV how much the foreigners trapped in the standing room only section were booing Elgin on TV? Because I didn't see anyone comment on it in the live thread. It was pretty loud in person.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Long Beach tickets go on sale 1/29. The spread:

On Court

Rows 1-4: $200
Rows 5-12 $150

Stadium

Rows 1-7: $100
Rows 8-14: $80
Rows 15-24: $50

I have no doubt about the court/floor tickets, but stadium tickets seem a little pricey to me. Not doing Mania and it's a half hour drive for me so will be gunning for those top seats.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I've always dabbled in New Japan, but I just signed up for NJPW World and I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sigmachiev posted:

Long Beach tickets go on sale 1/29. The spread:

On Court

Rows 1-4: $200
Rows 5-12 $150

Stadium

Rows 1-7: $100
Rows 8-14: $80
Rows 15-24: $50

I have no doubt about the court/floor tickets, but stadium tickets seem a little pricey to me. Not doing Mania and it's a half hour drive for me so will be gunning for those top seats.

drat, pricey but it's so close to my house I can't not go.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

$100 in California money is like $20 everywhere else in the US.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Business Insider posted a profile on New Japan today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XqYP8brepE

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

coconono posted:

$100 in California money is like $20 everywhere else in the US.

Still means you lost your hundred bucks though.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Still means you lost your hundred bucks though.

I needed that to pay rent for my 1350 studio!

Also, NJPW makes me feel like a kid again. I was watching with my gf and we were both all oohs and aws and I got angry and excited.

Like, the WWE is just do frustrating to watch, and this is just so fun.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Also, NJPW makes me feel like a kid again. I was watching with my gf and we were both all oohs and aws and I got angry and excited.

I'm the same as you. I watched some NJPW stuff last year and in 2016 and liked it, but didn't get the subscription until Wrestle Kingdom 12. Watched both that and the NYD and still want more. This is also after being kinda burnt out on wrestling in 2017.

I'm basically gonna watch the poo poo out of NJPW and support the scene in Finland this year and only follow WWE cursorily. gently caress yeah wrestling is good again

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wrestling was always good

Believe in yourself, and wrestling

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Wrestling was always good

Believe in yourself, and wrestling

I've just been following the wrong wrestling! Finnish (and live) wrestling was good the whole year but I missed basically half the events due to other engagements, and, because there's no TV and little video presence, that all made me kind of fall out of the loop especially for the latter half of the year. Luckily I managed to go to the last FCF event of last year and am going to the one next month and I'm now also firmly aboard the NJPW bandwagon, so I'm hyped as gently caress for My Pro Wrestling Year 2018 :woop:

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I am going to watch the New Years Dash.

I hope you enjoy it. I am watching now as well

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

It's a one bedroom thank you very much.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

OGB posted:

From the prior thread

quote:

Sanguinia posted:
So, is it going to be Okada vs Sanada on Night 1 and Naito v Jericho on Night 2, maybe do an angle where Okada feels like he's being slighted by having the Champ relegated to Night 1 and a "lesser," opponent and it almost costs him, while Naito gets the special attraction match and Jericho plays up how beating Naito matters more because he's the most popular, play up that Naito's fan support has meaning even without the belt on him?
This would make a lot of sense, and play into that weird mixture of reality and kayfabe that Gedo seems to like using in NJPW.

I'd be all for it.
Fozzy has a tour date for January 28 in France so Naito vs Jercho would be on night 1. Fozzy also has shows on February 9 in Switzerland and February 11 in Spain; don't know if Jericho would try to be at New Beginning in Osaka on Feb 10 between those.

To keep going with Fozzy's schedule vs New Japan shows: Fozzy has no shows between Feb 13 to 28; New Japan has New Japan Road on Feb 14 and Honor Rising on Feb 23 & 24. Fozzy's next gap is March 17-26. There's room for the last two New Japan Cup shows on March 18 & 21 as well as Long Beach on March 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Naito/Jericho makes a lot of sense since naito lost, too. naito got distracted again by the double main event, which is what bothered him last time. he was self conscious of getting out-shone by the midcard belt, and that distracted him and caused him to lose. Jericho fits in really well there, where he might not have if naito had won. it's all about exorcising naito's demons.