Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, you gotta have ‘em onboard with AWD but you don’t have to install them.
Which is sorta screwy because by the time conditions get so bad you need AWD AND chains, they usually just close the road. I have chains for my 4WD pickup that are unused after 25 years because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
For a lot of the part time AWDs you need to switch off traction control to dig yourself out of slippery situations otherwise the traction control just cuts your throttle. That's why there's a big traction control switch in the middle of the dash and the manual tells you multiple times that if you are stuck turn off traction control.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Well poo poo. I was pretty set on the Atlas until all this talk about AWD vehicles needing all 4 tires replaced at once started up. That poo poo sounds pricey. (Atlas has a FWD option but it's the smaller engine model and several people have told me the V6 is highly preferable)

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Do all of you people have horrible enemies who slash your tires or something? I have had exactly one unrepairable flat in nearly two decades of driving. Everything else is just patch and go, usually for free under warranty.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Unzip and Attack posted:

Well poo poo. I was pretty set on the Atlas until all this talk about AWD vehicles needing all 4 tires replaced at once started up. That poo poo sounds pricey. (Atlas has a FWD option but it's the smaller engine model and several people have told me the V6 is highly preferable)

If I really needed AWD, I wouldn’t let that stop me - like the other guy said, it doesn’t happen THAT often, plus it’s really only an problem when you have three tires that are down to their last third of tread and you destroy the fourth - if the other three aren’t that worn, it’s a non-issue.

And TECHICALLY(although I might be opening another can of worms by saying this), if you don’t have locking-type diffs in the front and rear, you can get away with two new and two used - one of each on the front, one of each on the rear. This evens out front and rear rollout and eliminates strain on the center coupling. This can potentially cause screwy handling in wet conditions and a lot of tire shops won’t do it, so I hate to even mention it.

I think the thing that most of us are in agreement with is this: don’t pay for AWD unless you really need it, because it adds another layer of mechanical/electronic complexity, adds weight and (in most cases) parasitic drag.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I was on a camping trip with a friend who has a Ford....Edge? I think. and he got a flat and the Walmart we found in the middle of nowhere demanded that he replace all 4 tires or none, they wouldn't sell just a single tire to him.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or, like I said above, you can have tire rack shave them to the right wear height. I had to do it with my Subaru and it wasn’t a big deal. Worth it if you’re halfway through the tires and they’re relatively long life.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Not so useful if you’re on the road though.

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

For a lot of the part time AWDs you need to switch off traction control to dig yourself out of slippery situations otherwise the traction control just cuts your throttle. That's why there's a big traction control switch in the middle of the dash and the manual tells you multiple times that if you are stuck turn off traction control.

Yep I suspect this is the case with the guy who encountered the new CR-V or whatever that had difficulty in a snowy parking lot. AWD can get itself out of a ton of snow unless it's grounding itself out in 6+ inches. I've gotten stuck in FWD plenty of times (through my own stupidity / hooning) but have yet to with AWD.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Matt Lauer posted:

Yep I suspect this is the case with the guy who encountered the new CR-V or whatever that had difficulty in a snowy parking lot. AWD can get itself out of a ton of snow unless it's grounding itself out in 6+ inches. I've gotten stuck in FWD plenty of times (through my own stupidity / hooning) but have yet to with AWD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo

The CR-V's AWD is tits on a bull useless. It only works if the front wheels still have some traction, and if that's the case then the traction control can probably still get you out with just the fronts.

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe
Certainly looks terrible in that test I'll agree.

That being said I don't know how often zero or near-zero friction happens in the real world. Like I said I've easily gotten stuck in FWD with a small amount of snow and ice, granted in all seasons. I think the worst was in a newer Civic.

Honda's response is interesting, from Honda Sweden's head of communications: http://teknikensvarld.se/honda-cr-v-4wd-system-is-not-working-again-163708/ it's not an ideal powerful AWD system but their response is reasonable.

lol

Matt Lauer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 2, 2018

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

But I saw it in a magazine!

My cousin once ruined his new Toyota pickup by driving through a riverbed because he saw it in a commercial. He is the reason they have that little print at the bottom of the screen.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo

The CR-V's AWD is tits on a bull useless. It only works if the front wheels still have some traction, and if that's the case then the traction control can probably still get you out with just the fronts.

:lol: Yep this looks like exactly what was happening with the stuck CRV I was helping push.

There may have been some clueless-driver-at-fault, but this is still just so pathetic. AWD my rear end.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 2, 2018

Matt Lauer
Nov 30, 2017

by Smythe

Guinness posted:

:lol: Yep this looks like exactly what was happening with the stuck CRV I was helping push.

There may have been some clueless-driver-at-fault, but this is still just so pathetic. AWD my rear end.

I mean if the TC was on and nobody has the brilliant idea to turn it off (this happens extremely often with non-car people drivers, which is almost everyone) it is very very easy to stay stuck in snow. My bet is TC was on.

My dad got stuck in very thin snow (FWD Acura TL) and never thought to push the TC button. Once it was off it was unstuck after some effort. Yes the AWD system seems horrid for zero traction as in the video, but I would not blame it at this point for the anecdote you describe. Guess I'll die on that hill!

Successful AWDing CR-V on snow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P488eAJ6eGA&t=183s

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

My cousin once ruined his new Toyota pickup by driving through a riverbed because he saw it in a commercial. He is the reason they have that little print at the bottom of the screen.

lol I wonder what the damage was, or if he just flooded it.

Matt Lauer fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 3, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Proposed Budget: $25,000
New or Used: Either
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Sedan of some variety
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle?
23k miles per year on average driving, commuting to work at 100 miles a day round trip. Mostly for driving to and from work.
Don't need heated seats, would prefer some advanced safety features.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
MPG is a huge deal. I would be going from a 20 MPG to whatever, and given my fuel costs right now are at $3200 a year, anything would help, so a Hybrid seems to be high up there
Safety being the second major priority

I live in Florida, specifically Lakeland-ish region

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Prius.

High mileage is fine and hard to beat the fuel economy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Matt Lauer posted:

That being said I don't know how often zero or near-zero friction happens in the real world. Like I said I've easily gotten stuck in FWD with a small amount of snow and ice, granted in all seasons. I think the worst was in a newer Civic.

I got stuck in front of my house on a plowed street in St. Paul once. I had lovely all seasons (just bought the car), and it had been a slightly warm afternoon, so everything just turned to ice. That was an embarrassing AAA call. OTO, if it had been AWD, I probably would have probably wrecked going down the hill on the other side, so I guess it worked out.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Thermopyle posted:

Prius.

High mileage is fine and hard to beat the fuel economy.

This seems to be the go to and I'll probably windup with one.

Is the Ioniq terrible? Things I read were nice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's nice but quite new so the reliability is a bit more of an unknown. The SEL trim with the Tech package will get you a bunch of safety gizmos but will run just out of your price range (roughly $26K MSRP + D&D).

I would caution that the most possible money you are going to save in fuel cost is something like $2,000 annually and that is assuming you are going to be getting 59mpg from the Ioniq over 23,000 miles, which will not happen. A more realistic fuel savings estimate is $1,800. While this is a substantial amount of money it may not be worth spending $27K on a new car.

If you were to go the classic Used Prius route and spent $17K on a 60K mile Prius versus $27K on the Ioniq, you would lose some marginal fuel efficiency, but you have a hell of a lot more cash in your pocket.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I would like my next car to be able to parallel park itself. I'm looking for something under $30k, and ideally a sub-compact. So far the only car I've found that matches all of that is the Mini, but I don't like how that car looks. Are there other options?

I've spent a long time trying to look this up, but automotive dealer websites have made it a nightmare to navigate looking for specific features like that, you always have to start by picking the model, then the trim, then see if the site lists that feature on their comparison guide, and if not click through a few pages of 'build it yourself', and then cross-reference all the weird packages. As an example I ended up clicking through a half a dozen models and another half a dozen trims per Toyota, individually clicking on all the weird "premium" packages, until I found the Intelligent Parking Assist on the Prius Trim 4 with either of the "Advanced Technology Package with options" under the "Complimentary Safety Plus Package 2". After all that, the Prius is a bit out of my budget, and it's a giant car, much bigger than I wanted.

Wikipedia and other sites don't seem very complete, I only discovered the Mini has this option yesterday, after a few weeks of on and off searching.

edit: I finally found a site that lists what can self park. I don't know why I had trouble finding this: https://www.cars.com/articles/which-cars-have-self-driving-features-for-2017-1420694547867/

It looks like there is a Ford Focus Hatchback at about $22k with parking assist functionality. The Ford C-Max is a little under $30k with parking assist.

VVV I would go up in size to a compact, but a mid-size like the Prius is a little bigger than my current car (Toyota Corolla). I wanted to go down in size because I would have so much better luck finding parking if my car were a bit smaller.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 5, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In America, sub compacts are typically lower end models. The Prius is pretty small actually. I doubt you’ll get too much smaller with those features.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, Mini is pretty much the only game in town for "luxury subcompact", and parking assistance like that is very much a luxury feature.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'll take a look at a size up, then. The Ford C-Max and the Ford Focus hatchback are both compact cars, it looks like, and looking at local dealers it looks like new cars with the active parking stuff is about $25k. I might go test drive some today and see what I think.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is the focus cvt automatic still an absolute deal breaker? They dropped that one right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've heard that the CMax is somehow lower in driving pleasure than a Prius. Everyone that's owned one I've spoken to complains about the terrible drive, or turn radius, or how driving it was just the pits.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum

ZenVulgarity posted:

This seems to be the go to and I'll probably windup with one.

Is the Ioniq terrible? Things I read were nice

I have one, SEL trim without the tech package, I'm quite pleased with it. If you have any specific questions I can answer in PM.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I've heard that the CMax is somehow lower in driving pleasure than a Prius. Everyone that's owned one I've spoken to complains about the terrible drive, or turn radius, or how driving it was just the pits.

I would much rather a Prius than a C-Max.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We went to the Mini dealer, Ford dealer, and Honda dealer today. Still don't like the minis in person. Didn't like the look of the C-Max at all. I think I'm giving up on the dream of a car that can park itself.

Test drove the Honda Fit, and it seems pretty good for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something under $30k USD, something reliable that is easy to parallel park (hence the sub-compact category), something with AC and heating, and rear backup camera. 4 doors is a plus. My commute is 10 miles round trip, all city driving. I sometimes use the car on weekends for ~8 hour round trip roadtrips.

The had a green Civic Si Coupe in that I really liked the look of, and was tempted by, but I don't drive stick very well so I decided to pass.

I want to test drive at least one other car before I commit. I'm probably going to use this guide to help pick out another sub-compact to test drive: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-subcompact-hatchback/

edit: How are the Fiats? I like how they look, and how small they are.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 5, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you don't want a stick, the Fit is probably the best in its class.

Also you should be way under $30k for a Fit, even for an EX-L with navigation, even with tax/tags, even with interest on the loan. MSRP is barely over $22k.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Chainclaw posted:

Fits and minis contantly rank among the least reliable cars in the US.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

nm posted:

Fits and minis contantly rank among the least reliable cars in the US.

Er, Fiats and minis?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

FIATs are "high-personality" cars. They are the types of cars people either love or hate. If it hits you the right way, you will love it as your greatest car ever despite its higher-than-average repair rate. Otherwise, avoid them. Reliability/repair costs aside, the quirks of the car will drive you crazy.

FIATs are crazy, beautiful, high-maintenance girlfriends. If you thrive on that, it's the car for you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^
Your fiat was made in Japan, which is cheating anyhow.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Er, Fiats and minis?

Yeah, fiats break. Fits go forever.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I would much rather a Prius than a C-Max.

Definitely. I drive ‘em both as they’re part of our fleet, and even though I don’t care for the Prius’s drivability, it’s much better than the Fusion/C-max.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

FIATs are crazy, beautiful, high-maintenance girlfriends. If you thrive on that, it's the car for you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is the focus cvt automatic still an absolute deal breaker? They dropped that one right?

It's a DCT and I think by now it's probably OK, but I wouldn't buy one unless I was A-Plan or something that really drove me to a small Ford.

Y'all are cowards, FIAT is the reliable Italian brand.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Chainclaw posted:

We went to the Mini dealer, Ford dealer, and Honda dealer today. Still don't like the minis in person. Didn't like the look of the C-Max at all. I think I'm giving up on the dream of a car that can park itself.

Test drove the Honda Fit, and it seems pretty good for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something under $30k USD, something reliable that is easy to parallel park (hence the sub-compact category), something with AC and heating, and rear backup camera. 4 doors is a plus. My commute is 10 miles round trip, all city driving. I sometimes use the car on weekends for ~8 hour round trip roadtrips.

The had a green Civic Si Coupe in that I really liked the look of, and was tempted by, but I don't drive stick very well so I decided to pass.

I want to test drive at least one other car before I commit. I'm probably going to use this guide to help pick out another sub-compact to test drive: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-subcompact-hatchback/

If you had automatic parallel parking, maybe you could have a somewhat bigger car like maybe a Ford Fusion?

I mean, if the goal of a small car is to make it easier to park...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I also don't trust automatic parallel parking worth a drat. Does anyone around here have a car that has it and uses it regularly?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

If you had automatic parallel parking, maybe you could have a somewhat bigger car like maybe a Ford Fusion?

I mean, if the goal of a small car is to make it easier to park...

For non-parallel parking, the parking at my office building is super narrow lanes that most people spill over. It's already a tight fit for my corolla, so I wouldn't want to go bigger. For parallel parking, a smaller car gives us more opportunities for parking in the city, specifically those spots that you watch 2 or 3 other people try and pull in and give up because their cars are too big.

I would go bigger if all the subcompacts were all bad, but the Fit seems really good so far. Driving it felt OK, the size was great, I like how it looks, I like how spacious the back is. I want to test drive one other car before I commit, though.

My fiance's good friend just bought a Mazda 3, so I might try out a Mazda. I also might give the Toyota Yaris or the VW Golf a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You're mixing up your size classes quite a bit. The Mazda3 and Golf are the same class as the Corolla, which is larger than the Fit.

The Yaris is a hateful little piece of poo poo, but the Yaris iA is a lot better since it is an entirely different, Mazda Demio based car - though not a hatch.

edit: anyway the only half way decent subcompacts right now are the iA, the Fit, and the Fiesta.