Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, if I can find some time I guess I could provide 2d graphics for something; I did some sprites for the 2016 Little Awful Jam, and I've kinda wanted to do another one of these at some point, so well, if anyone needs a dubious artist I'll be about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Reminder to get in the Discord and chat it up as the final countdown to jam time is upon us.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Any rules on pre-made art assets being used? Like, things I made / contracted from artists for other projects, but wouldn't mind re-using for a jam if they fit the theme? (Or is this a "start from scratch, make everything fresh" sort of jam?)

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Sundae posted:

Any rules on pre-made art assets being used? Like, things I made / contracted from artists for other projects, but wouldn't mind re-using for a jam if they fit the theme? (Or is this a "start from scratch, make everything fresh" sort of jam?)

If it fits the theme, the wall is clean.

Go for it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I will almost certainly be using the schedule I always use for these...

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Your theme is

WEIRD HISTORY

Good luck!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Team Dogpit will not be participating in this winter's jam -- because I have ascended to a higher plane of cabal-like scheming. I'm looking forward to playing alla ya'll's games!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Currently, my best idea is a game where you ~save the Titanic~. Hopefully I'll come up with something better by tomorrow afternoon.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
I'm excited to play and judge games this year! And the theme is so cool, I might even try making something for fun (obviously it can't be judged, but you can't stop me from creating, dammit!)

Xibanya posted:

Team Dogpit will not be participating in this winter's jam -- because I have ascended to a higher plane of cabal-like scheming. I'm looking forward to playing alla ya'll's games!
Thank god!

Last time you submitted a game to an Awful Jam, I fell down a rabbit hole and ended up playing 150 hours of Factorio. I doubt I could survive another Dogpit game

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Nice theme. I have an idea for a game already so feeling good.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
a long time ago, some monks that were high on whatever weeds they found on the monastery grounds would draw weird pictures in their manuscripts.

this also included knights fighting and losing to snails due to the knights eating the same weeds.

so to fit this truly weird history theme, i introduce you to Snail Knight:

this little guy is just trying to get his much on with some delicious leaves, but friggin' knights won't leave him alone. i'm going to be brainstorming more tonight, but hopefully i can flesh this out more in the next two weeks.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I think I'm going to be making Presidential Debate Simulator 2016, which is way more up my alley than the stuff I had before. Maybe that will change after I've had a full night's sleep and a cup of covfefe.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Reminder: if anyone doesn't want to go it alone and wants to join a team, message me here or on the discord. Any experience level or discipline is fine, no pressure if you end up not having time or your mom gets sick or something.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Workin' on dumb poo poo already

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/949264722842587136

e: also this is the palette I'm using

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 5, 2018

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
If you are looking for a pixel artist please get in touch with me. Animation is not my strong suit but I can make stuff move if you are willing to accept less detail in the sprites.

https://twitter.com/scutanddestroy

https://scutanddestroy.wordpress.com/ ( <--- blog I haven't touched since getting more into twitter)

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Scut posted:

If you are looking for a pixel artist please get in touch with me. Animation is not my strong suit but I can make stuff move if you are willing to accept less detail in the sprites.

Messaged you on Twitter.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Unity programmer here; it's a bit late to be asking this I know, but I feel like I would do better with one or more people depending on me to get stuff done. otherwise I'll just figure out something I can get done by myself again.

contact me on discord if you are interested

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jo posted:

Messaged you on Twitter.

Yesss Jo and Scut working together I love this

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What do you call those type of games where you launch somebody into the air and lose when they land/stop? Also, what's a popular one of those? Finally, what's a popular runner game?

I want to draw inspiration from some of those areas but I don't even know what to call them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hammer Bro. posted:

What do you call those type of games where you launch somebody into the air and lose when they land/stop? Also, what's a popular one of those? Finally, what's a popular runner game?

I want to draw inspiration from some of those areas but I don't even know what to call them.

Like in a track and field game when you throw a javelin? I'm not sure if that has a specific name.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Hammer Bro. posted:

What do you call those type of games where you launch somebody into the air and lose when they land/stop?

The flash versions were usually categorized as distance games. Searching for "distance flash game" finds a million of them.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Hammer Bro. posted:

For the first thing id say toss the turtle is a popular one, second try canabalt?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I've started on a prototype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiOWZGekPk

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

NextTime000 posted:

Unity programmer here; it's a bit late to be asking this I know, but I feel like I would do better with one or more people depending on me to get stuff done. otherwise I'll just figure out something I can get done by myself again.

contact me on discord if you are interested

alright I got an idea that I really want to do so I guess I'm just going to start working on that instead now

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Was gonna enter solo but I can't really think of anything interesting or original to do with the theme. Might be interested in working on someone else's game though so if anyone needs a 3D artist/texturer/rigger hit me up on SA via pm or Putty#5451 on Discord.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I've got nothing.

I love the banner.

Good luck everybody.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Stole a bunch of art from the internet as placeholders. I like 'em and wish I could keep 'em.

I had to use libGDX instead of Godot because the language processing involved in scoring is actually way better suited for Kotlin than GDScript. :(

Jo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 6, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

First major chunk of progress: basic player movement.

I've wanted the interpolation function used in the vertical movement a few times in the past but could never quite figure it out. This morning it was obvious to me that it was just the first quarter of a sine wave. Being adequately-slept is awesome.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Day 2. I don't think this is the right way to graybox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1N9mDVP2o

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm off to a good start I think.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whew, only took me two hours. I'm improving.

Now to see if I can maintain any kind of aesthetic consistency.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 2: I have settled upon a concept, a gameplay mechanic, and made some real basic shapes and thrown them at Unity. I haven't messed with Unity 2D in years at this point, so I opted to play with Physics for a bit:

Who knew Olmec Heads were so bouncy?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Still brainstorming. I want to make something that's unique gameplay-wise but still deliver my usual brand of absurdism. As far as premises for games go, I've got a couple that I've been kicking around.

Goons, please tell me which of the following you would be more interested in seeing: The Magic School Bus Fucks Up History (Ms. Frizzle's students get lost in time and mess up history by conquering feudal Japan/preventing 9-11/starting a major religion and you have to fix things), a game where you play as time police and have to "correct" a weird made up version of history by preventing things that happened in real life, or American History X (a sci-fi reimagining of US history. i bet nobody's ever used this name for anything else)?

Oh, I also had an idea for an Animal Crossing style game with dead historical figures instead of animals but I'd need a programmer and modeler for that... And probably more than just 2 weeks.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 7, 2018

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Alright, I think I got an idea for a game that would be fun and something I could accomplish in the time limit. This is my first jam and I've been learning Unity and how to code so if I avoid feature creep and don't procrastinate I should be able to submit something before the deadline!

Also, keep the updates coming. My favorite part of this so far is seeing everyone's progress. Good luck, everyone!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Loving that Olmec head.

Hitlersaurus Christ get in the discord.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

It's JAM SEASON! Just found this and starting brainstorming now. EXCITING. Will post lovely WIPS as soon as I have them. Good luck everyone!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://youtu.be/hEJBO18cEgI

Edit:

TomR fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 7, 2018

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
By the way, I am offering professional-quality voice acting for any team who gives me lines to read - this is not an exclusive offer so don’t hesitate to ask! I am a contralto and have a rich resonant voice well-suited to playing computer systems, Cate Blanchett knock-offs, and sultry temptresses. In my character repertoire I have bargain bin Naruto (believe it!), waifu voice (uguu~), and a variety of others.

Here’s what others are saying about Xibanya’s voice acting!

“It’s a very soothing voice.” - Everdraed

“Your ‘notice me senpai’ is viscerally horrifying.” - Noyemi

“I’m going to bed and hopefully never wake up.” - SupSuper

Additionally, Mihai Zetta is offering VO as well. He has a bright baritone and is one of the most talented people I’ve met in my life in addition to being an actual literal IRL anime character.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
Awesome I'm going to make another crappy game, maybe it will actually be good enough to submit it this time (it won't be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Day 3: I figured out how to add a rocket-like force and a particle system for some "flames".

I'm not sure why I added a second Olmec Head, but at this stage it felt right for playing with forces. Tomorrow I think I will try making the actual rockets and switching the force stuff over to them. Then I can work out how to let the player attach them to the Olmec heads.

• Locked thread