Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Does anyone actually have an issue with this? Tons of authors pretend to be different genders etc because nerds aren't going to buy sci-fi written by a girl. I don't see the problem of making up a fake japanese person to sell comics.

e: after reading up on it apparently he was lying to his bosses too and using some japanese guy who did translations to pretend to be akira so I can see the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Apparently one of his jobs was specifically headhunting indie comic writers to bring on-board when Marvel were looking for some Asian writers for some Asia-based storylines, so he made the name and brought himself. BSS posted some of his work under that fake Japanese name and it's the worst weeaboo poo poo you can imagine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:stare: I did not read that part. That's a pretty loving big ethical breech to get rewarded for.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ridley Scott criticized studios because they hire inexperienced directors for huge and expensive movies, so Disney is in talks with him to direct a movie based on TA Barron's The Merlin Saga.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The MSJ posted:

Ridley Scott criticized studios because they hire inexperienced directors for huge and expensive movies, so Disney is in talks with him to direct a movie based on TA Barron's The Merlin Saga.

I swear English fable movies are like the western version of anime movies.

Its a really risky well that they keep going back to for some reason. What's the allure? Because the IP is public domain?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thundercracker posted:

Because the IP is public domain?

I feel like that is the answer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They just need to be smart about it, but it seems like these days they rarely are. I love Ridley Scott, but he seems to exclusively work only on huge budget projects these days. But there needs to be more restraint when it comes to launching these risky new potential franchises. Maybe make it for 50 million instead of 90 so that it actually has a realistic chance of making money and earning a sequel.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Merlin is a western family public domain fable Disney can actually pull off if they pretend it's an adaptation of Sword in the Stone, since people are eating up the live action adaptations

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

feedmyleg posted:

lAs much of screenwriting darlings as they are, Moffat, Wright, and Cornish delivered a script that leans heavily on coincidence, logic jumps, and massive suspension of disbelief.

Unthinkable that a cartoon movie based on old Belgian comics would rely on coincidence, logic jumps, and suspension of disbelief.

hemale in pain posted:

Does anyone actually have an issue with this? Tons of authors pretend to be different genders etc because nerds aren't going to buy sci-fi written by a girl. I don't see the problem of making up a fake japanese person to sell comics.

There’s a world of difference between a woman choosing a male pen name to avoid the baked-in sexism of the sci-fi fandom and a white guy pretending to be a Japanese author to sell comics.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also like Seanbaby pointed out him naming himself after the most popular anime and the Japanese Xmen is like naming an american Cheeseburger Schwarzenegger

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

They just need to be smart about it, but it seems like these days they rarely are. I love Ridley Scott, but he seems to exclusively work only on huge budget projects these days. But there needs to be more restraint when it comes to launching these risky new potential franchises. Maybe make it for 50 million instead of 90 so that it actually has a realistic chance of making money and earning a sequel.

Alien Covenant and All The Money In The World were relatively not that expensive. Scott even said that he considers it a failure if a movie needs 200 million to be made.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Unthinkable that a cartoon movie based on old Belgian comics would rely on coincidence, logic jumps, and suspension of disbelief.

:shrug: don't think it makes me an idiot for expecting that three very talented screenwriters paired with one of the best cinematic storytellers of all time to find a way to adapt the books while avoiding their most egregious storytelling flaws.

I don't think it makes me naive to expect those not to be present. And it doesn't make me wrong to not like any film that relies on them, regardless of source material. Plenty of great adaptations fix storytelling problems in their source material.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

hemale in pain posted:

e: after reading up on it apparently he was lying to his bosses too and using some japanese guy who did translations to pretend to be akira so I can see the issue.

<white writer takes a Japanese pseudonym to capitalize on Orientalist stories>

"No different than a woman or POC writer taking a pseudonym to avoid systemic bias."

<white writer lies to white bosses>

"That's a problem."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Coincidence and logic leaps being a story flaw is up to opinion. Personally I think such things can be really fun. Some of my favorite movies are just character finding themselves in the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time over and over.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Alien Covenant and All The Money In The World were relatively not that expensive. Scott even said that he considers it a failure if a movie needs 200 million to be made.

I'd forgotten about All the Money in the World, that's more along the lines of what I'm talking about, but of course it's not a genre film.

Covenant had a reasonable budget for what it was, but it still cost 90 million. I think making a Merlin film with that budget would be a mistake. You spend that much and you end up needing 300 or 400 million to consider it even modest success.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Serkis was fine as Haddock but a lot of his speeches are incredibly Moffat. I only watched the movie recently (and before that was only really familiar with Tintin via the animated series from the 90s, which still has one of my favourite opening theme sequences for a cartoon, particularly those first 20 seconds) and a lot of Haddock's stuff sounded so much like the stuff he wrote for Peter Capaldi in Doctor Who.

Other than Haddock's speeches, what parts do we think are Moffat and which parts are Wright and Cornish?

The door not being locked is Moffat, he reused that in the Dr Who 50th special.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ridley Scott is going to die never finishing his Alien trilogy and that is a goddamn horrific crime.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think Merlin is a western family public domain fable Disney can actually pull off if they pretend it's an adaptation of Sword in the Stone, since people are eating up the live action adaptations

It would be extremely timely too. The Arthur from Sword in the Stone was a populist outsider who rose by luck to become supreme leader of the land. Only to get cuckolded by his most trusted friend, fail to realize his agenda, and finally die wishing he'd never got the job in the first place.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CelticPredator posted:

Ridley Scott is going to die never finishing his Alien trilogy and that is a goddamn horrific crime.

I'd be okay with everyone in Hollywood whose careers span multiple decades just retiring.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

I'd be okay with everyone in Hollywood whose careers span multiple decades just retiring.

I love that Sean Connery was still commanding huge money but he was just like "gently caress this, I'm sick of all these poo poo movies" and retired.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Would we have gotten a Merlin movie if Guy Ritchie's King Arthur movie had been more successful?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Disney's Zombies tv musical will air Februrary 16th on Disney Channel, it has the same plot as Descendants except they are zombies instead of legacies of iconic Disney characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQ1CftS6Vw

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if the Merlin movie will be about finding his missing toy monkey again while dealing with some idiot husband who turned into a baby after roasting a cat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tars Tarkas posted:

Disney's Zombies tv musical will air Februrary 16th on Disney Channel, it has the same plot as Descendants except they are zombies instead of legacies of iconic Disney characters.

Hm.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tars Tarkas posted:

Oh I thought it was just High School Musical but zombies

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Would we have gotten a Merlin movie if Guy Ritchie's King Arthur movie had been more successful?

That's a perfect example of a movie that was doomed to fail because of it's budget, there was just no chance it was going to be a success. It probably needed to make like 500-700 million in order to not be considered as underperforming. Guy Ritchie has name recognition but you still can't just throw Charlie Hunnam and Jude Law in movie and expect them to automatically bring in a half a billion dollars. The star power wasn't there, and the known property with the built in fanbase wasn't there either because not many people still get excited about the King Arthur legend. It was just a miscalculation of how much of a market there was for all of those elements, from the director to the stars to the story itself.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Davros1 posted:

He should have just focused on his Aladdin movie. Which actually makes sense as far as his filmmaking sensibilities go. Applying his whole street crime shtick to Arthurian legend was a little silly, but then all the LOTR-lite stuff just tipped it straight over into unfun bad movie territory.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can they just play that Sam Neil miniseries? That would be fun

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Over and under on when Fire and Fury gets greenlit?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Thundercracker posted:

Over and under on when Fire and Fury gets greenlit?

Hopefully never.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hopefully never.

I dunno, I could see it being a great Coen Bros movie, so many of these people feel like characters right out of Burn After Reading.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tars Tarkas posted:

but why is the event cosmic?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Zoms vs Poms is a struggle of intergalactic proportions

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tars Tarkas posted:

Zoms vs Poms is a struggle of intergalactic proportions

I guess that works :shrug:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

"Earning a sequel" is the most annoying part of movie budgeting. Just make the first movie good. Maybe worry about a sequel later

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

"Earning a sequel" is the most annoying part of movie budgeting. Just make the first movie good. Maybe worry about a sequel later

Nobody wants to make a good movie that is considered a flop because the budget was inflated to like three times of what it really needed to be. Legend of the Sword cost like $200 mil to make, it's insane that they thought that was necessary to make the movie good(the movie isn't good but they presumably thought it would be when they decided to make it)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There’s a world of difference between a woman choosing a male pen name to avoid the baked-in sexism of the sci-fi fandom and a white guy pretending to be a Japanese author to sell comics.

Yea I guess, I just don't think I can be too bothered over a pseudonym though. Like the entire point is creating a character to sell stuff. He went waaay overboard and it's incredibly scummy to lie to your bosses and racist to use it to hire yourself instead of an actual minority. I just wouldn't be that bothered if it was just a fake name, it's not on the same scale of racism as blackface comedians singing karoke or something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

got any sevens posted:

Everything has to have a sequel because it's a lot easier than making something new.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno, I could see it being a great Coen Bros movie, so many of these people feel like characters right out of Burn After Reading.

Probably, I just don't want to see Hollywood stumbling and bumbling over some stupid Trump caricature, the real thing is as good as you're gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Probably, I just don't want to see Hollywood stumbling and bumbling over some stupid Trump caricature, the real thing is as good as you're gonna get.

I think the best way to do it would be to have all the characters interacting with either other and kinda orbiting around Trump but with Trump himself never actually appearing in the film. Just an big ensemble cast of whacked out sycophants slowly consuming each other as they desperately fight to survive another week in the administration.