Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think CarlCX is right that Magnus is probably a solid choice if you want a quasi-name who you can ride for stability so people might say "oh, that guy is champ?" instead of "who the hell is that guy?" He seems like the sort of guy you'd establish as the first champ of your promotion so you can build someone up to take him down. And he can probably "tour" with the belt and not embarrass you.

But it doesn't really do you any good if you don't have a promotion or product to sell and they don't. All they've really got right now is curiosity and to that extent Jocephus might have bought another 15 minutes while Magnus is just kind of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aldis isn't enough of a draw to draw in a decent crowd. He's not an EX-WWE guy so you can't even pull that "I saw him on the TEEVEE" crowd.

If I was blowing Billy's money and had to drop Tim Storm, Aldis would be my pick of last resort(and my sources indicate that is indeed the case). Hell, fedexing the title to a random wrestler on christmas day would have been a better pick.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

Aldis isn't enough of a draw to draw in a decent crowd.

literally nobody in whatever the NWA is right now is enough of a draw for a decent crowd

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to see Josephus, Tim Storm and Glacier inevitably team up for a chikara trios tournament

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

They have three workers.
Who has the belt is pretty low on the list of concerns this company has.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
After watching Tim Storm's victory at Hollywood Wrestling when Aldis first let him know he was coming for the belt...

I get that the Storm thing was hilarious, but there's no loving way you keep the belt on him any longer than you absolutely have to.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

still disappointed that they didn’t just bring in RVD to beat Storm tbh, he’d do a lot better than some boring gimmickless Englishman

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

They have three workers.
Who has the belt is pretty low on the list of concerns this company has.

When you all you have is a belt who has it is the main concern.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/nwa/status/948536820853362688

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sand on velvet pants looks like it would be annoying as gently caress to get off

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

When you're a wrestling company with a belt and nothing else your problem is the 'nothing else' part.

Devil Bird Thing
Mar 12, 2001

Pardon me, do you have a moment to speak about our Lord & Savior, Devil Bird Thing?
To be completely fair, I can name more people from the current NWA roster than the current TNA roster.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBuZMiX7bL8

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pass

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jocephus sucks
Magnus sucks
Tim Storm is cool.

NWA's roster 66% sucks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jocephus is cool
Magnus sucks
Tim Storm sucks

NWA's roster 66% sucks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I thought Josephus and Magnus were the same person.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Endless Mike posted:

I thought Josephus and Magnus were the same person.

in terms of wrestling ability, yes.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Marry, gently caress, Kill:

Jocephus, Nick Aldi's, Tim Storm

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
that’s like the easiest one ever

gently caress: jocephus
marry: tim storm
kill: nick aldis

now what the best configuration of them in the human centipede is, that’s a tougher one

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
gut feeling says jocephus 1st, storm 2nd, aldis 3rd but I can be persuaded on it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tim Storm loves swing clubs and howling naked at the moon.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Bard Maddox posted:

gut feeling says jocephus 1st, storm 2nd, aldis 3rd but I can be persuaded on it

If we're going by how much Billy Corgan got me to care about them then Tim Storm is 1st with Jocephus in 2nd

Magnus is in 3rd anywhere

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bard Maddox posted:

that’s like the easiest one ever

gently caress: jocephus
marry: tim storm
kill: nick aldis

now what the best configuration of them in the human centipede is, that’s a tougher one

Josephus for the head, Storm for the middle, Aldis bringing up the rear because he's third rate poo poo.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
1 Storm
2 Jocephus
3 3% vision-reducing salve
4 The Spiritual Advisor
5 Billy Corgan why not
6 Magnus

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

RZApublican posted:

If we're going by how much Billy Corgan got me to care about them then Tim Storm is 1st with Jocephus in 2nd

Magnus is in 3rd anywhere

Jokes aside I watched about half of those "Ten pounds of Gold" videos and god drat it I actually like Tim Storm. Haven't actually seen him wrestle but he seems like such a good dude.

Jocephus loving owns and I need more of him.

I kinda thought everyone had been exaggerating how bland Aldis was but wow, he's just a jacked English dude. There is nothing distinguishing about him that I'm going to remember other than he's apparently the NWA champion now.

How the gently caress did they not get Cody Rhodes on board with this poo poo? Give him the NWA title and build from there. It writes itself Corgan!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm assuming they're specifically avoiding someone like Cody who would draw more attention but would be harder to control. Magnus doesn't seem to be doing anything or have any real draw since leaving TNA so he's "perfect" in terms of someone they can "count on."

I don't know, that's just my gut with this "roster".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

STAC Goat posted:

I'm assuming they're specifically avoiding someone like Cody who would draw more attention but would be harder to control. Magnus doesn't seem to be doing anything or have any real draw since leaving TNA so he's "perfect" in terms of someone they can "count on."

I don't know, that's just my gut with this "roster".

That's the big issue nowadays. Too big of a name, and there's always the possibility that they'll get signed away, but put it on someone who won't leave, but has no drawing power, and it's still no better.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Isn't Cody signed to ROH or NJPW?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

Isn't Cody signed to ROH or NJPW?

Both I believe

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The amount of money it would take to have any level of control over Cody's bookings while having zero actual shows would drive Corgan out of business before the end of 2019.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

This also applies to pretty much anybody who has actual name value on the indies.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The amount of money it would take to have any level of control over Cody's bookings while having zero actual shows would drive Corgan out of business before the end of 2019.

Like, is Corgan IN business now?
Is what he doing right now 'business'?
This stupid project confuses and angers me so much.
It's like throwing a pound of ham into an abandoned supermarket and calling it a delicatessen

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Like, is Corgan IN business now?
Is what he doing right now 'business'?
This stupid project confuses and angers me so much.
It's like throwing a pound of ham into an abandoned supermarket and calling it a delicatessen

That's kinda how I feel about it. The most sensible thing I could think of for this thing is to get working relationships with other promotions, especially NJPW because they're already trying to get a proper foothold in the US market, and then try to actually build something out of it.

Jeff Jarrett may be a lot of things, and GFW was a joke but at least he had the right idea of trying to get in good with other promotions.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, in theory I assume the idea is to build up the title and the wrestlers to build towards a "money match" that you could book your first show around. Maybe build up Jocephus and Storm as a blood feud and set up a different challenger for a cocky Magnus champion. If I were doing things I'd probably gradually introduce tag teams for a title tournament or if they have champs and try to set up 3-5 draws to make for an independent card.

But obviously that's not exactly how its playing out and no one is actually getting excited for any kind of Storm/Jocephus/Magnus match.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, in theory I assume the idea is to build up the title and the wrestlers to build towards a "money match" that you could book your first show around. Maybe build up Jocephus and Storm as a blood feud and set up a different challenger for a cocky Magnus champion. If I were doing things I'd probably gradually introduce tag teams for a title tournament or if they have champs and try to set up 3-5 draws to make for an independent card.

But obviously that's not exactly how its playing out and no one is actually getting excited for any kind of Storm/Jocephus/Magnus match.

I'm excited for Jocephus. Magnus not so much.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

I really like this

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Tim Storm is the most over character in NWA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm so sad this is too long to be a thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jerusalem posted:

I'm so sad this is too long to be a thread title.

Billy Corgan has one belt and calls it a boutique.