Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i listened to the first 3 tracks of the new faceless and it sounds promising, i like it a lot so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

They were playing one of the new Faceless songs (Black Star?) on the radio a bunch a few weeks back, personally I thought it was not very good but maybe the rest of the album is better?

e: wait Glassjaw put out new material? Coloring Book and that other EP a few years ago were great.

First full length in 15 years. I’m not super far into it but the first chunk of the album is better than anything they’ve done besides Worship and Tribute.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BwPBO90f_I

A Night in Texas featuring the dude from Shadow of Intent. Both excellent deathcore bands and this song rules.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

ShoogaSlim posted:

and this song rules.

It does indeed. Pro click, everybody.

Also holy gently caress this riff @03:18 in this song on this Faceless that came out is filthy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgKlv35qqjE&t=198s

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like after a full listen the new Faceless record is less than the sum of its individual parts, if that makes sense. There's some really neat moments, but I think it's a bit too all over the place to really feel like a cohesive record, and this is coming from someone who likes the out-there wanky weird prog elements most of the time. It's a good album but I don't think I'm likely to revisit it very often.

New Intervals is finally up on Google Music and it's a fun listen. First track reminds me of Sega Genesis era Sonic music which is a plus.

AOTY contenders for me are probably Counterparts, Polaris, Trivium, Ne Obliviscaris, GY!BE, and maybe a hundred other ones I can't think of because gently caress me it's been a good year.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

END just released a new music video for Necessary Death, which is a loving banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymTseMd56x4

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The new Glassjaw reminded me that I hate post-hardcore

The new At the Drive-In was equally terrible

e:

XIII posted:

END just released a new music video for Necessary Death, which is a loving banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymTseMd56x4

this, however, is extremely my poo poo, as well as that night in texas song earlier

kumba fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 5, 2017

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kumba posted:

I've never been the biggest Glassjaw fan, but the bass tone on the new album is killer.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Apparently the guy from Archspire started a gofundme to buy singing lessons for the guy from The Faceless http://www.theprp.com/2017/12/05/news/archspire-frontman-launches-gofundme-get-singing-lessons-faceless-michael-keene/

i have no horse in this race but I love petty drama :yum:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Beelzebozo posted:

Also holy gently caress this riff

Also a good click. Are we online friends now? That's tight :)

Speaking of good clicks, have you guys heard of Science of Sleep? I feel like I'm just now discovering a bunch of cool deathcore I hadn't heard of before and I'm very into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58GhqY51Uw

e: oh and Harms Way came out with a song today but I don't even think they belong in this thread anymore. They went downhill fast.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 6, 2017

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
New War of Ages today, not familiar with them at all but what I've listened to so far is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Viyr5JI00

Anything else dropping today?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

“Yo make it look exactly like a lovely iPhone game”

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kumba posted:

The new At the Drive-In was equally terrible

I feel extremely the opposite about Glassjaw and very much the same about ATDI. It's not really surprising though, it seems like Cedric is physically incapable of singing like he used to.

XIII posted:

I've never been the biggest Glassjaw fan, but the bass tone on the new album is killer.

The bass on their stuff since they "reformed" and recorded Coloring Book/Our Color Green has been amazing. It's a shame that Palumbo and Beck seem so toxic they can't keep anybody else in the band for longer than one album, though.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

ShoogaSlim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BwPBO90f_I

A Night in Texas featuring the dude from Shadow of Intent. Both excellent deathcore bands and this song rules.

the rest of this album is out now and it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsLAX755V_0

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

kumba posted:

the rest of this album is out now and it owns

YESSSSSS

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I typically feel the same way about most of the deathcore posted here (and really most of the stuff posted here period): I don't mind it, I enjoy being exposed to new music, but usually I listen to once and then I move on.

But I'm really digging the new album from A Night In Texas.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to it reminded me that the Rings of Saturn release from earlier this year is really loving good

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Beelzebozo posted:

This fuckin Polaris tape though. Holy gently caress AOTY is gonna be tight this year. Top 10 even is gonna leave out some extremely good poo poo.

Just got this. Holy poo poo. Thank you!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Saw that Asking Alexandria had a new one out and hadn't listened to them since their debut album years ago and uh that wasn't what I expected

Had a few fun moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stMWdI49hLk

...but I had no idea they had pretty much descended into radio rock territory, oh well

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kumba posted:

Saw that Asking Alexandria had a new one out and hadn't listened to them since their debut album years ago and uh that wasn't what I expected

Had a few fun moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stMWdI49hLk

...but I had no idea they had pretty much descended into radio rock territory, oh well

I enjoyed their debut well enough, but they fell off really quickly. I saw that their original vocalist was back for this one, so I gave it a spin. Might have made it through 4 tracks. They just aren't for me anymore.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Alright, this hellish year is basically in the books. A gang of great metal releases dropped while the world burned. Which one was your favorite? Here's my lists. I feel like I could've done a top 50 this year, so I probably won't argue if you think I've criminally overlooked something. Hard choices were made, but I'll stand by them as I always do (as much as I later regretted putting Upon a Burning Body on this list last year :shobon:).

Album of the Year

I don't expect to have a ton of support for this pick in this thread, but this thing was made for me. The best technical drummer in the genre; glitchy, schizophrenic guitars; all-over-the-place song structures; 30 second stretches with no melody; good cleans, better screams from a competent new vocalist. I loved their last one, and this one was at least as good. The only bad thing I can say about it is it's too short. There needs to be more bands like this in the genre. New Structures tape when? Until then, this was the best album I heard in 2017. Come at me.

Beelz’ Top 10 Albums of 2017
  1. Oceans Ate Alaska – Hikari
  2. Polaris – The Mortal Coil
  3. Counterparts – You’re Not You Anymore
  4. Wage War – Deadweight
  5. Fit for an Autopsy – The Great Collapse
  6. Aethere – Adrift
  7. Oceano – Revelation
  8. Currents – The Place I Feel Safest
  9. Make Them Suffer – Worlds Apart
  10. Veil of Maya – False Idol

Song of the Year

As excited as I was for CJ's return to TAIM, I ended up not being as big on Dear Desolation as I was on their previous outings. But one track on there is an all time legend. From the ball-crushing drums to lyrics that could stand as my personal manifesto, Puppet Master loving has it all. If you slept on this thing, play it right the gently caress now. Links below.

Beelz’ Top 10 Songs of 2017 (Apple Music / YouTube)
  1. “Puppet Master” by Thy Art Is Murder
  2. “Stitch” by Wage War
  3. “Dark Flag” by Phinehas
  4. “Rope” by Counterparts
  5. “Wasted Age” by We Came as Romans
  6. “Hansha” by Oceans Ate Alaska
  7. “Objective Reality” by Within the Ruins
  8. “Pursue” by The Afterimage
  9. “Terra” by The Northern
  10. “(Dis)Connected” by Betraying the Martyrs

There's mine. Post yours (or even just your #1), or tell me what I left out. But I probably know. Too much good poo poo got left out. What a year. For -core anyway. gently caress the rest of what happened in 2017.

Here's to 2018. :rock:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I have to give Hikari another try, definitely didn't get into it the first time around but I'll do it just for you beezles

Trivium probably getting my #1 this year but Polaris is a strong contender, those are likely my top two but I'll have to flesh out a full ten

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

kumba posted:

I guess I have to give Hikari another try, definitely didn't get into it the first time around but I'll do it just for you beezles

Trivium probably getting my #1 this year but Polaris is a strong contender, those are likely my top two but I'll have to flesh out a full ten

:respek: Give it another shot. I feel like you and I typically line up pretty well on this. By that same token, I've never liked Trivium, but I'll listen to their latest. And not to create work for you, but if you're willing to pray on it and post a full ten, I'm very interested to read it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I know Trivium, Counterparts, Polaris, Mutoid Man, and Ne Obliviscaris will absolutely be in the top ten

It's the other five slots I'm not sure about, which is a good problem to have

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
band I have never heard of "Landon Tewers" (fake edit: I thought this was some kind of joke pun on "London Towers" that I didn't get but apparently it's the guy's name) released a 5 song EP today that's pretty cool and is apparently a follow-up to a similar length EP from 2015 about a robot or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN99WZLpGf0

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
That Polaris album owns and thanks to you guys for bringing it to my attention.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
happy new year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76RZ6azYjEk

never heard of these guys but they released a 5 song EP yesterday and it's good

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

:respek: Give it another shot. I feel like you and I typically line up pretty well on this. By that same token, I've never liked Trivium, but I'll listen to their latest. And not to create work for you, but if you're willing to pray on it and post a full ten, I'm very interested to read it.

Okay I put one together and a lot of it doesn't actually fit in this thread but oh well!

10. The Night Flight Orchestra - Amber Galactic
9. Igorrr - Savage Sinusoid
8. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers
7. Angel Vivaldi - Synapse
6. Persefone - Aathma
5. Counterparts - You're Not You Anymore
4. Ne Obliviscaris - Urn
3. Mutoid Man - War Moans
2. Polaris - The Mortal Coil
1. Trivium - The Sin and the Sentence

Honorable Mentions:
Bask - Ramble Beyond
Hour of Penance - Cast the First Stone
Make them Suffer - Worlds Apart
Machine of Man - Dreamstates
Fen - Winter
SikTh - The Future in Whose Eyes?
Rings of Saturn - Ultu Ulla

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

kumba posted:

Okay I put one together and a lot of it doesn't actually fit in this thread but oh well!

Interesting picks. Thanks for posting. It looks like you had a proggier year than I did. I have those years, for sure. But last year I didn't, for whatever raisin. I kinda bounced off that Ne Obliviscaris to an extent that shocked me. Used to love those guys. Not sure what's up with my taste.

Thanks for this Ex-Mortis EP btw. That hit all the right buttons.

Here's to a :rock: 2018, thread.

edit: vvv I didn't play that, actually. Pulling it up

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 3, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yea the only one that really belongs in this thread that I didn't see much about was Aathma. I was a huge fan of Spiritual Migration and was really looking forward to that one and it delivered on every level

e: Brojob apparently released a full length on the 1st as well if that's your kind of thing. Not for me, but I'm sure someone likes them

also also: this came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0pcsEZKEcs

again not really my cup of tea but hopefully someone in here likes it

kumba fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 3, 2018

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

First 2018 release I have my eye on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJyrE6pDNBI

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
BTBAM has been in the studio and we should be getting some sort of teaser this month

I don't have room for excitement for anything else at the moment because I can hardly contain myself

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

kumba posted:

BTBAM has been in the studio and we should be getting some sort of teaser this month

I don't have room for excitement for anything else at the moment because I can hardly contain myself

:yossame:

that Eternal Void track is a banger though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'd be more excited if their last album didn't blow

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

deadwing posted:

:yikes:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

deadwing posted:

:chloe:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i think that might be the worst opinion ever posted in this thread, and that's saying something all things considered

full disclosure: i am a huge btbam fanboy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

maybe he accidentally hit post before he could type "my mind"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Ex-The Acacia Strain Guitarist Daniel “DL” Laskiewicz Helping Out With New Unearth Album.

Also, Protest The Hero are in the studio working on an album for a fall release.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I just hope they don't completely abandon harsh vocals.