Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How about a little background?

quote:

Black Lightning is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by DC Comics. The character was created by writer Tony Isabella and artist Trevor Von Eeden, first appearing in Black Lightning #1 (April 1977) during the Bronze Age of Comic Books. He is a member of a fictional subspecies of humans born with superhuman abilities known as metahumans in the DC Universe. Born Jefferson Pierce, he grew up in the disreputable Southside section of Metropolis known as Suicide Slum. Returning to his hometown after an extended leave due to tragedy, Pierce becomes the principal at Garfield High School. Having suppressed his abilities since adolescence, he adopts his new alias and persona to combat the criminals and corrupt leadership in the area while protecting his loved ones from harm. He is capable of electrical manipulation and generation. Black Lightning is DC Comics' first African American superheroes and the first to star in their own series for the DC imprint.

Black Lightning’s been through quite a few incarnations throughout his comic book publishing history and now he’s getting another makeover, this time as a live action tv series on the CW. Joining the ranks of already successful shows Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning will set itself apart by existing in it’s own, unconnected universe. The series is being shot on location in Atlanta which will make it visually distinct from the existing shows that all shoot in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpJeuXo2CY

Debuting on Jan 16th, the official plot synopsis is as follows

quote:

Jefferson Pierce, who retired from his superhero persona Black Lightning nine years ago after seeing the effects it had on his family, is forced to become a vigilante again when the rise of the local gang The One Hundred leads to increased crime and corruption in his community.

Cress Williams as Jefferson Pierce / Black Lightning: A retired superhero with the ability to harness and control electricity who becomes a principal at a charter high school. He returns to fighting crime thanks to his daughter and the threat of a star student being recruited by a local gang.

China Anne McClain as Jennifer Pierce: Jefferson's younger daughter who is "an independent, outspoken scholar-athlete with a wild streak of her own."

Nafessa Williams as Anissa Pierce: Jefferson's older daughter who is in medical school and teaches part-time at Jefferson's school.

Christine Adams as Lynn Pierce: Jefferson's ex-wife.

James Remar as Peter Gambi: Jefferson's oldest friend, who became a father figure and mentor to him, and works as his "tailor".[8]

Damon Gupton as Henderson: A veteran detective inspector with the police, who becomes an unlikely ally to Jefferson, despite his role in the community.

Other cast includes:
Marvin "Krondon" Jones III as Tobias Whale: A former politician who rose through the ranks of local government through corruption but was brought down by Alvin Pierce, Jefferson's father. After killing Alvin, Tobias was exiled, only to become the leader of The 100 gang.
Kyanna Simone Simpson as Kiesha: Jennifer Pierce's best friend and the daughter of Henderson, who encourages Jennifer to challenge her perfect image.
Edwina Findley as Tori Whale: Tobias Whale's younger sister.
Chantal Thuy as Grace Choi: A bartender who becomes the love interest of Anissa.

Early reviews for the show have been overwhelmingly good so far. I have very high hopes for this show as Cress Williams has been a delight in drat near everything I’ve seen him in. We’ve been extensively discussing the show over in the Flash thread, most recently the connections to Static/Static Shock and why every black hero seems to have electrical powers. Let’s continue those lines of discussion here.

From the first trailer, it kind of reminds me of MANTIS and that's a good thing because MANTIS kicked rear end. I have very high hopes for this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I'm not super familiar with the character but I am looking forward to this. Maybe, since it's an entirely separate production from the other shows, they'll have writers who can, you know, create logical storylines and give the female characters consistent motivations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not being familiar with this my first reaction was, "Haha. Guy looks like a high school teacher, not a superhero." Then I read he is a high school teacher.

You win this round, Black Lightning.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He has to face off against The 100? :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He has to face off against The 100? :ohdear:

No man can stand against the might of Genghis Clarke.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Thunder's costume is bad even by CW standards. Hopefully the show will be worth watching.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is there a reason why this show is separate from CWs other superhero shows?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I imagine they just want to avoid the baggage and they know that if a year from now they want to link them it will be no harder than Supergirl was.

I'm kind of sad they're not because I'm a mark for the teamups and big world stuff, but I also guess I'm glad it can just do what it wants and not have to worry about the bigger picture and not being linked now doesn't mean it will never be.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose Oquendo posted:

The plot is that Black Lightning was an active super powered superhero a decade before the sow starts. It would be kind of awkard to try to explain why nobody on Arrow or the Flash ever mentioned that there was a lightning man running around a few years before they started doing superhero stuff

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, I don't think it would be really hard to handwave that there was a superhero in some other city on the other side of the country decades ago and most people dismissed it as urban legend. Or he could be in Supergirl's universe which has a vague extensive history of super powers.

But that's all decision making, baggage, and stuff that if you state now you're locked into. The Arrowverse has already established the multiverse of 52 (+1) so you might as well just do your own thing and you can become Earth 36 later on if the decision makers really want to.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, I don't think it would be really hard to handwave that there was a superhero in some other city on the other side of the country decades ago and most people dismissed it as urban legend. Or he could be in Supergirl's universe which has a vague extensive history of super powers.

Plus Barry has a thing for weird cases after his mom was killed, so in theory Barry could of seen something and didn't think anything of it until he gained powers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It depends on what their world is establishing. If they're doing like Supergirl did and just kind of saying "yeah, heroes and villains are a thing and Black Lightning was one of them" then it wouldn't really mesh with Barry and Oliver's world but might with Kara's. If they're going with "Black Lightning was a guy who operated in the shadows" then you could easily work it into Barry and Oliver's world, with Oliver maybe having heard rumors and Barry having followed some story when he was a teen.

But if you have no current intention to bring Barry, Oliver, or Kara into the show then you have no real reason to make any of those decisions up front. All it does is handcuff your creativity and you get nothing in return expect continuity questions like that you have to dance around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Grace Choi? That's a slightly obscure choice, but might be interesting if she ends up actually being an Amazon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Choi

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

Grace Choi? That's a slightly obscure choice, but might be interesting if she ends up actually being an Amazon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Choi

They were both introduced in the Outsiders comic at the time and had a relationship in the same book so not really obscure. It's true to the source material!

the_rhino
May 8, 2007

And then the LORD said unto them "Thou shall sit and thou shall spin."
But Black Lighting, I sell drugs to the community.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Fox was the one who initially ordered a pilot for the show but they passed so the CW picked it up. It got a rewrite in between but they still developed the show as if it wouldn't be connected.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Unless it tanks I really do assume it will just take the Supergirl path to the Arrowverse. Developed elsewhere -> Written to be separate -> Ends up on CW with the rest -> CROSSOVER SYNERGY NERD TEAMUP FUN!

Someone will say "No, the show runners have said clearly that they don't intend to do that" and then I'll just remember that we had the same conversation about Supergirl so we just gotta wait and see.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I had the opportunity to read the original pilot script and it blew chunks.

But it was also the first working draft, and I'm hoping a few of the plot points are ignored, reduced, or eliminated entirely.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Thank you for making this thread!

Have a good early review! http://collider.com/black-lightning-review

quote:

Nothing about Black Lightning feels familiar. That’s a good thing. It’s on The CW, but it doesn’t look like any other CW show (and not only because it’s the network’s first series with a black lead). It’s a superhero show, but it puts characters first and the super-powered stuff second. It’s not an origin story about a 20-something getting powers, either; it’s about rebirth for a man old enough to be their father.

Black Lightning focuses on Jefferson Pierce (the extremely charismatic Cress Williams), a retired vigilante. The balance between being a superhero and caring for his family was one his wife Lynn (Christine Adams) was unable to live with — Jefferson would come home beaten, bruised, and bloodied, and there was always a chance he wouldn’t come back at all. It was too hard to continue that way, so she didn’t. The family split up, and Jefferson hung up the cape (as it were). He became a high school principal, convincing himself that he was changing more lives in his community that way than he would as Black Lightning

The series, developed by Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil, presents Jefferson’s story as just one part of a very complicated whole. The pilot starts with Jefferson’s older daughter Anissa (Nafessa Williams), a medical student who also teaches at the school, being arrested after participating in a protest that turned violent. Jefferson is then pulled over by police (for the third time that month, he says) on the way to a school fundraiser after being profiled as a potential robber. But as he challenges them, “I’m sure the description was of a black man dressed in a suit and tie, with a getaway car that’s a midsize Volvo wagon?” It’s not the only time Jefferson is wrongfully detained by police, and in that first instance both of his daughters immediately pull out their cell phones and start recording. Jefferson’s eyes sizzle with electricity during the incident, but he represses the urge to give in to his powers or to fight back. Instead, he just says “don’t shoot.”

Most of the two episodes available for review deal with Jefferson’s struggle to help his community in the face of uncontrollable violence. The police are overwhelmed, but one detective inspector, Henderson (Damon Gupton), is a friend of Jefferson’s and dedicated to good police work. The series is full of people who believe they are doing what is right for their community, from Jefferson and Henderson to even a drug dealer name Lala, as he schools a young boy to be polite and shake hands, while also roughly reminding him that while he wastes time on his cell phone, “the white boys you should be selling to are being groomed to run the world,” and him. And yet his actions are completely opposed to Jefferson’s, a man he respects in private but ridicules among his cronies. The dynamics are complicated.

It’s all summed up, in a way, by the show’s theme song, which is short and to the point: “I saw a superhero / he was black / he said this is for the street / Black Lightning’s back.”

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Really excited for this. Trailers didn't sell it a whole lot but I think it looks really interesting. Looking forward to Ollie and BL being "really just sick of all this poo poo" bros in the future.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
As someone who is more embarrassed by watching the CWverse shows than my continued fixation with Supernatural in TYOOL 2018, I sincerely hope never the twain shall meet

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The review makes me interested. It's definitely going into sensitive topics deeper than Supergirl has with is feminism stance. It may not be as intersectional as the current Black Lightning comic, but there's definitely going to be more than one controversial scene involving racial politics and policing.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've wanted a black super hero lead tv show so badly since I was a kid, loved M.A.N.T.I.S so I hope this works, but it's too crushing to get my hopes up.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 7, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

Thank you for making this thread!

Have a good early review! http://collider.com/black-lightning-review

I kind of expected you to beat me too it but I got inspired the other night.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Candice Patton talking about the blackness of the West family and Black Lightning:

Candice "Iris Best" Patton posted:

It’s a tricky thing…to discuss that kind of content. For me, as an actor, I would need to feel like I have Black writers and creators, kind of, carefully handling that topic. It’s also, it’s not, the show isn’t about the West family. It’s Barry Allen’s story…I’ve always wondered what was it like for Barry Allen growing up in a Black family? Like, you know what I mean? We joke about it all the time behind the scenes on the show. Like, this boy can probably dance. He probably loves my fried chicken. Those are the things I wish we could [do]… the lighter sides of a Black woman and white man dating. As far as the deeper issues about Black Lives Matter and police brutality, and what it’s like to be Black in this world, I think it’s hard on a show like The Flash where we’re really telling Barry Allen’s story, which is why I’m so so excited as a Black woman and as a fan of comics that Black Lightning is coming to the CW, and that Salim and Mara are at the helm to deal with those story lines. I think Black Lightning is in the best hands and that is important.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Does he have electricity... in his pants?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

achillesforever6 posted:

Does he have electricity... in his pants?

Don't you?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Oh my God, I love it already.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I like the daughters.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

So this is in the Arrowverse?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

So this is in the Arrowverse?

Nope. In the Filmed-in-Atlantaverse.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nope. In the Filmed-in-Atlantaverse.

But the tv report just said other cities have superheroes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

You know it's a CW show because they've got the keeping secrets part down already. :v:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I really like this guy.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I immediately love this show. It's got the campy blaxploitation thing down perfectly and i'm into it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gonna be a couple of hours over here, sounds like the verdict is "the trailers didn't let us down"?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Gonna be a couple of hours over here, sounds like the verdict is "the trailers didn't let us down"?

The pilot was real good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Great pilot IMO. I didn't know anything about the character coming in and didn't read anything. Thought it did a good job of setting up the world, and Black Lightning beat some loving rear end which I know won't happen every episode but that motel scene was really loving cool. Keep this up, CW.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
What I took away from this episode: for the love of GOD give a brotha a chance to say something heroic

Jumped on board on the ground floor and couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, everything that said it was nothing like the previous CW hero shows was right. This is a completely new direction and its looking like a strong start.

• Locked thread