Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Except the only thing besides an Olympic gold medal that would qualify as a "World Championship" in Karate would be held by the World Karate Federation, which is the only organization of Karate that is not only international but also recognized by the Olympic Committee.
Dude, I did strip-mall dojo karate for like 8 years and this doesn't matter. Outside of K-1 and I suppose The Glory, kickboxing and "professional karate" championships have always been a mishmash of overlapping regional, state, national, and supposedly international titles. You mentioned ISKA like it's nothing but it's kind of a big deal. (If sport karate with foam-rubber gear is a big deal to you in the first place, that is.) There's only a handful of the many combat sports that exist which have a big enough economic base for there to have a clear standard as there is in Olympic judo and taekwondo and now in MMA.

All of these karate (and savate and tang soo do or whatever) organizations will have their own rules, of course. It's really hard to verify if someone fought full-contact or not, or if they did, whether they allowed knees and elbows and so on. Plenty of karate organizations have had rules that were basically there to prevent a Muay Thai guy or a boxer from just coming in and cleaning up against guys who had little or no full contact experience.

Anyway, I don't know if Miller ever fought full contact. I expect all his championships are real, but "world kickboxing championship" in this context means that he won a championship tournament, for a karate league with a fairly wide presence, that was probably not full contact.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The only legitimate karate championships are those sanctioned by the 100 groups claiming to govern Kyokushin.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The only legitimate karate championships are those sanctioned by the KUMITE and given to those who go through CHONG LI

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Outside of Chyna/Beth Phoenix/Kharma, LU's Aztec Warfare and Chikara's Infinite Gauntlet, are there any notable examples of Royal Rumble variations that have featured women?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

Outside of Chyna/Beth Phoenix/Kharma, LU's Aztec Warfare and Chikara's Infinite Gauntlet, are there any notable examples of Royal Rumble variations that have featured women?

A woman gets involved in the comedy battle royal WWA did on The Inception. It doesn't have set intervals for entrances but wrestlers and non wrestlers join the match at various points throughout it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gavok posted:

Although DDT Pro is a comedy promotion to the nth degree compared to CHIKARA, they've had a couple women come out and just wreck people before during their New Years Specials with BJW and other assorted indies. I remember a year where Mio Shirai was just taking people out.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
I scared a dog with a sweet chin music. If animals know its terror surely it's among the most devastating

Re our earlier conversations

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So during tonight's Raw I once again heard the "So and so who has a body part specifically targeted is trying to get some blood flowing back into x body part..."

And I just realized, after having heard this many a time...does this make any sense? The idea is whatever has been targeted is now in pain and hence attacking it will cause greater pain...how would blood flow help with that issue? Are they insinuating that all pain has a numbing effect?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I guess the idea is that the damage they've taken has cut off circulation- especially if it's like a hold.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shiki Dan posted:

Except the only thing besides an Olympic gold medal that would qualify as a "World Championship" in Karate would be held by the World Karate Federation, which is the only organization of Karate that is not only international but also recognized by the Olympic Committee.

And some research on Wikipedia shows that not only is Ernest Miller not listed ANYWHERE as any kind of champion under the WKF, but the only American who ever WAS champion was Tokey Hill in 1980.

So the only source for Miller winning "3 world championships" (when? where? and from whom?) is...Miller himself.
I don't wanna say it's total bullshit...but it sure smells like it.

Wikipedia does add that he does supposedly have a kickboxing championship under an organization called ISKA (International Sport Karate Association), but I can't find any information that confirms or denies it.

I remember reading over the WONs when Miller debuted and Meltzer did confirm that it wasn't bullshit. The tournaments were in the 80s and I'm not really surprised that a ton of records from those days aren't easily searchable. It was point karate.

Halloween Jack posted:

Dude, I did strip-mall dojo karate for like 8 years and this doesn't matter. Outside of K-1 and I suppose The Glory, kickboxing and "professional karate" championships have always been a mishmash of overlapping regional, state, national, and supposedly international titles. You mentioned ISKA like it's nothing but it's kind of a big deal. (If sport karate with foam-rubber gear is a big deal to you in the first place, that is.) There's only a handful of the many combat sports that exist which have a big enough economic base for there to have a clear standard as there is in Olympic judo and taekwondo and now in MMA.

All of these karate (and savate and tang soo do or whatever) organizations will have their own rules, of course. It's really hard to verify if someone fought full-contact or not, or if they did, whether they allowed knees and elbows and so on. Plenty of karate organizations have had rules that were basically there to prevent a Muay Thai guy or a boxer from just coming in and cleaning up against guys who had little or no full contact experience.

Anyway, I don't know if Miller ever fought full contact. I expect all his championships are real, but "world kickboxing championship" in this context means that he won a championship tournament, for a karate league with a fairly wide presence, that was probably not full contact.

bingo

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm trying to compile a list of non-WWE versions of the Royal Rumble. Here's what I have:

WCW: Countdown to Armageddon

ECW: King of the Hill Battle Royal

TNA: Gauntlet for the Gold

Lucha Underground: Aztec Warfare

Wrestling Society X: WSX Rumble

Chikara: Countdown Showdown, Infinite Gauntlet

Whatever that 108-Man New Years Royal Rumble from BJW/K-Dojo/DDT was called.

Anything else of note? Did Ring of Honor ever do a variation of the Rumble?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

I'm trying to compile a list of non-WWE versions of the Royal Rumble. Here's what I have:

ROH has done the Honor Rumble a few times and NJPW has the Rumble on the WK preshow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
ICW here in the UK does one as well, with the winner getting a MITB/G1 style briefcase for a title shot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Wouldn't the WCW one be World War 3?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wouldn't the WCW one be World War 3?

No, WW3 is a more normal battle royal with everyone in from the start. The whole innovation of the Royal Rumble is the staggered entrances.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DDT usually does a prelim comedy royal rumble on their big Peter Pan show, think it's usually for their 24/7 belt

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I’ve been watching Wrestling With Wregret’s PPV reviews recently (not sure what the Goon consensus on him is, he reminds me of AVGN for wrestling so he’s alright in my book), and saw his review for Survivor Series 95, with the main event between Diesel and Bret Hart. He gave the match and show a good review, but it made me think about Kevin Nash a bit.

When it comes to his Diesel run, I don’t know anything about him before he was a main eventer. How and when did he debut? Was he pretty much a big deal from the beginning? I only halfway keep up with wrestling but can kind of trace other big names from that period, including Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart and the like. But with Diesel it seems to be Pre-Diesel era and then Diesel in the main event era.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

I’ve been watching Wrestling With Wregret’s PPV reviews recently (not sure what the Goon consensus on him is, he reminds me of AVGN for wrestling so he’s alright in my book), and saw his review for Survivor Series 95, with the main event between Diesel and Bret Hart. He gave the match and show a good review, but it made me think about Kevin Nash a bit.

When it comes to his Diesel run, I don’t know anything about him before he was a main eventer. How and when did he debut? Was he pretty much a big deal from the beginning? I only halfway keep up with wrestling but can kind of trace other big names from that period, including Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart and the like. But with Diesel it seems to be Pre-Diesel era and then Diesel in the main event era.

He came in as Michaels' bodyguard in the early summer of 93 & within 18 months he'd held all 3 titles. Once he debuted there really wasn't a "pre-Diesel" period where he wasn't headed straight to the top of the promotion.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
we talkin pre-diesel kevin nash in here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKrr_VROsXU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

I believe the consensus is somewhere between “He’s okay, but he’s no OSW!” and “Uh, who?”

That said, I like Wrestling With Wregret. The dude is knowledgeable and earnest in his opinions, while still being entertaining. Plus, despite being in the business to some degree, he’s got a realistic view of how carny and ridiculous it can be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oz, man.

That's one I'll just never get.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

facebook jihad posted:

Diesel was brought in as Shawn's bodyguard, but really didn't do anything of note in '93, going as far as being quickly eliminated in that year's Survivor Series. It wasn't until 94 that he got the mega push, with an impressive appearance in the Royal Rumble, then going on to win the I-C title, winning the Tag belts with Shawn (while as I-C champ) then winning the World belt in 8 seconds.

The biggest problem with Diesel's run wasn't actually Nash's lack of ability or whatnot, what it came down to is Vince loves David vs Goliath storylines, which is a problem when your "David" is 7 feet tall. He wants a champion that can be looked at as a "Superhero" or "larger than life", but can also be booked as an underdog.

I mean, when you look at Hogan's run, he would be always booked in matches against large guys. King Kong Bundy, Nikolai Volkoff, Andre the Giant, Kamala, Killer Khan, One Man Gang/Akeem, Earthquake, Big Boss Man. Other than Boss Man and Earthquake, none of the guys were great workers. And what's infuriating is some of Hogan's best and most memorable feuds were with the guys small than him, like Piper, Savage, and Orndorff (whose feud with Hogan drew 70,000 at The Big Event in Canada).

Savage's first televised defense of the title was not against Ted DiBiase, but the One Man Gang. Warrior had a feud with Andre. The Undertaker had feuds with Yokozuna, The Berzerker, Nailz, Giant Gonzalez, Kamala.

Vince's problem is it takes alot from him to won over by a smaller wrestler.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's basically what Pillman said about his football days. A small guy has to prove he can play, a big guy has to prove he can't.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's odd to me that Orndorff isn't better remembered by people who aren't hardcore wrestling nerds.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Orndorff had some good matches later on in WCW.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

facebook jihad posted:

Wrestling with Wregret is ok, he's a bit too WWE focused these days for my taste

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Wrestling with Wregret is ok, he's a bit too WWE focused these days for my taste

Kinda understandable since the focus is bad ideas

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Davros1 posted:

The Undertaker had feuds with Yokozuna, The Berzerker,

HUSS! HUSS! HUSS!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Smoking Crow posted:

Yeah I rarely watch his reviews/commentary on the current stuff. But I showed my girlfriend his review of Hulk Rules and she thought it was hilarious even though she gives no fucks about wrestling in any form.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

facebook jihad posted:

even though she gives no fucks about wrestling in any form.

dump her rear end

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Berzerker posted:

HUSS! HUSS! HUSS!

I always remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAjGhWl1EoA&t=2m0s

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 6, 2018

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Now that we have the internet the Berzerker reminds me of Raven telling hilarious coke stories about Nord and the Grappler from the Portland days

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

...That, could have ended poorly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlwn_75NW_k

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I had a dream the other night that the WWE did old school raw 2.0 but didn’t bring back any old stars. Instead, they had current stars depict them. Who would y’all cast?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Kane as Kane

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Dolph Ziggler as Duke Droese

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
rusev as giant gonzales and aiden english as harvey whippleman

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cene as Surfer Sting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
This is kind of a meta question, but are there any good resources for learning about US professional wrestling before the 1990s and the blow-up of the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude era? As someone who grew up during that period, and with all the revisionist history put out by the WWE (promoting the Rockers without mentioning the influence of the Rock 'n' Roll Express, for instance), I really don't know that much about the old territories and separating fact and fiction. I've spent a lot of time lately listening to Cornette shoot interviews on YouTube, but I'd like to learn more.