Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Not even muscle vampire can get a good match outta Jay White. Whadda bum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jay shoulda stuck with Fit so they could have out of control young boy adventures. Now he looks like budget Omega.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Did it not come across on TV how much the foreigners trapped in the standing room only section were booing Elgin on TV? Because I didn't see anyone comment on it in the live thread. It was pretty loud in person.

Didn't say anything in the thread but yeah, the boos were definitely coming through.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Whats the deal with Makabe? He seems to still be a really popular wrestler despite being tag fodder, is he an old legend?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just got into this stuff and so far I'm liking what I see. Can't wait to watch more. Is there any penalty for unsubscribing from the service until the big shows? Does the price spike? How often does NJPW run big shows?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Spikeguy posted:

I just got into this stuff and so far I'm liking what I see. Can't wait to watch more. Is there any penalty for unsubscribing from the service until the big shows? Does the price spike? How often does NJPW run big shows?

they charge on the 1st every month and as soon as you unsubscribe you lose access pretty sure. so don't subscribe on like the 30th of a month

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spuckuk posted:

Whats the deal with Makabe? He seems to still be a really popular wrestler despite being tag fodder, is he an old legend?

From my limited knowledge, sort of? He's a former world champion but is also pretty popular because he actually appears on mainstream TV and stuff because he's kind of a foodie as well.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Kinda, yeah. My understanding is he's 45 and getting into old legend status and has a lot of mainstream appeal. He does a lot of voice acting and is on Japanese TV a lot. I imagine he's a dude that someone in Japan with no knowledge of wrestling would still know because of his mainstream work, like Cena.

Someone with actual knowledge of Japanese TV will probably correct me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I enjoyed that Elgin got like 0 offense in War Machine was reluctant to tag him in

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I asked about Elgin today huge shock but absolutely nothing has changed. The roster legit hates and he's likely done New Japan.

Probably too dumb and not self-aware enough to quell the impossible amount of heat he has.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

coconono posted:

I enjoyed that Elgin got like 0 offense in War Machine was reluctant to tag him in

He got booed to gently caress at New Years Dash

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Why are they even booking Elgin at this point? Can't this just release him from his contract?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Le Saboteur posted:

Why are they even booking Elgin at this point? Can't this just release him from his contract?

They're letting him finish his dates as a courtesy.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
they should just copy paste jeff cobb over all the michael elgin spots

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Tomahawk posted:

they should just copy paste jeff cobb over all the michael elgin spots

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This was my first time watching NJPW and I'm all in. An absolutely incredible show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Give me more Jeff Cobb in New Japan please and thank you

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"im not owned! im not owned!!", elgin continues to insist as he slowly stays the same size and transforms into a jeff cobb

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

frankenfreak posted:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", elgin continues to insist as he slowly stays the same size and transforms into a jeff cobb

Elgin wishes he could be as cool as Jeff Cobb.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What did Elgin do that made everyone hate him?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Rarity posted:

What did Elgin do that made everyone hate him?

He gaslighted a woman who accused one of his wrestling buddies of sexual assault, basically calling her a lying whore.

On a less serious note, he buried War Machine for no good reason, which makes it super awkward when they tag together.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Benne posted:

He gaslighted a woman who accused one of his wrestling buddies of sexual assault, basically calling her a lying whore.

On a less serious note, he buried War Machine for no good reason, which makes it super awkward when they tag together.

He buried Cobb too. And the texts that were coming out really make him seem like a real rear end in a top hat, and not in a fun way.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I wonder if Jericho will go after Tanahashi next to complete his tour of the NJPW main event? As a part-timer you couldn't ask for a much better three-matches.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I wonder if Jericho will go after Tanahashi next to complete his tour of the NJPW main event? As a part-timer you couldn't ask for a much better three-matches.

I mean, Okada?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

coconono posted:

Jay shoulda stuck with Fit so they could have out of control young boy adventures. Now he looks like budget Omega.

Jay White isn't very comfortable in his gimmick

He needs to leave New Japan for a while, cut his hair, get some tattoos, make some new friends maybe

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'd be stunned if he didn't get a shot at Okada before exiting

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jericho for the time being is good for keeping the aces busy without having to do a Bullet Club feud or chase their tail with the IC.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Jay White actually does seem like a good person to transition into the Bullet Club as Cody's right hand if thats the direction they're going.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I didn't buy Jay as a challenger at Wrestle Kingdom but I liked him at Dash when he did the throat slit and hit Omega with a move.

I know Omega and Tanahashi are probably at similar places in the card right now, both big-time main eventers and headliners, but I feel like an Omega feud is a better fit for Jay than immediately going up against the Ace of the Universe. Even if he is a legitimately talented wrestler and everything. You can't just go up against the Ace, ok? You gotta earn that shot!!

I wonder if this is how people felt about Okada when he debuted? Except you know with not beating Tana, and also not fighting yoshi-hashi in your first match.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Jay white looks like a 14 year old boy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm actually not that bothered by Naito not winning the title, especially if he's moving to a Jericho program. It felt a little like Okada's title match at WK9, where it felt like it was his time but in the long run, it hasn't hurt him at all.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

He looks just like a dorky scene kid (so yeah a 14 year old boy) I used to work with and so I just can't take him seriously at all.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I didn't buy Jay as a challenger at Wrestle Kingdom but I liked him at Dash when he did the throat slit and hit Omega with a move.

I know Omega and Tanahashi are probably at similar places in the card right now, both big-time main eventers and headliners, but I feel like an Omega feud is a better fit for Jay than immediately going up against the Ace of the Universe. Even if he is a legitimately talented wrestler and everything. You can't just go up against the Ace, ok? You gotta earn that shot!!

I wonder if this is how people felt about Okada when he debuted? Except you know with not beating Tana, and also not fighting yoshi-hashi in your first match.

People HATED Okada to start, and not in the good way, in the Rocky Maivia way. The Rainmaker looked terrible as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think part of it is that I don't buy that it's who Jay White is. Kenny Omega as a Destiny cosplaying, DX worshipping, Final Fantasy weeb, I buy. Cody as a cocky prick who thinks he's a bigger star than he is, I buy. Jay White as edgelord 'Switchblade', comes of as an act.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Spuckuk posted:

People HATED Okada to start, and not in the good way, in the Rocky Maivia way. The Rainmaker looked terrible as well.

Yeah the early rainmaker looks like poo poo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gaz-L posted:

I think part of it is that I don't buy that it's who Jay White is. Kenny Omega as a Destiny cosplaying, DX worshipping, Final Fantasy weeb, I buy. Cody as a cocky prick who thinks he's a bigger star than he is, I buy. Jay White as edgelord 'Switchblade', comes of as an act.
Most of the LIJ guys are edgelords except for Naito, the difference is how much they put into it to make it work

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

Looks like a real piece of poo poo!

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Looks like a real piece of poo poo!

:yeah:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just wanna say how happy I am that Naito and Sanada are tag champs. I love those dudes a lot. Especially Sanada, and especially Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

last night I had a revelation

Naito actually didn’t lose at Wrestle Kingdom, because the golden fringe on Okada’s pants signifies that their match occurred under Naval jurisdiction, and since the Tokyo Dome was not at sea, everything that happened was therefore null and void :beck: